Start by marking “Jane Eyre The Graphic Novel: Original Text” as Want to Read:
Jane Eyre The Graphic Novel: Original Text

Jane Eyre The Graphic Novel: Original Text

Jane Eyre is a plain, determined and intelligent child. Orphaned and poor, she is adopted by her Aunt and Uncle Reed. The death of Uncle Reed allows her unpleasant aunt to send her away to a grim charity school, where she continues her harsh upbringing, but is given the education that finally frees her. Once old enough, she becomes a teacher and takes the role of governess ...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Classical Comics (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Jane Eyre The Graphic Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jane Eyre The Graphic Novel

Start your review of Jane Eyre The Graphic Novel: Original Text
Jess
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bronte, 2017
Jane Eyre is one of my favourite books of all time, so you can probably imagine how excited I was to find this graphic novel. I was a bit apprehensive at first - a 600 page novel crammed into a comic strip? Not sure that's going to work...

I was worried that the language would be diluted beyond recognition, but this was not the case! All the original dialogue is used and the illustrations are beautiful. I think it would definitely entice someone to read the original if they haven't already. If I
Dave Schaafsma
I just reread Jane Eyre (by Charlotte Bronte!) and loved it, think it’s deservedly one of the Great Books, with a wonderful young heroine. I also just coincidentally read Decelerate Blue by Adam Rapp, that among other things advocates for the reading of Whole Books, (surprise, surprise), not abbreviated versions of books, like Reader’s Digest books, but also implicitly not comics adaptations of books.

So, you ask, is there any use in a graphic novel version of Jane Eyre, given that--if we agree
Sleeping with Ghosts
Well, this story haunting me since the first time I've read the book. I hoped more from this, but ok, it's a cómic! Short, simple. The graphic desing isn't so beautiful but was nice. Hope to read another version of Jane in a Graphic Novel! ...more
Pranta Ghosh Dastider
A mainstream classic with life story of a girl. It's quite tragic, dramatic, and surprising at times. There are co-incidences, but the storyline makes up for that. It didn't feel slow since it's in comic book format. The art was decent, dialogues were well equipped.

Overall a decent love story + social drama.
Kirstie Ellen
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Initial Thoughts Upon Finishing
Jane Eyre has always been one of my favourite classics - I just love Jane's character and honestly? I find her and Mr Rochester adorable in their dependency on each other for happiness. This was really weird but fun reading it as a graphic novel - I think I will certainly read more classics in this format now!

Jane Eyre
If you’re not familiar with this classics, Jane Eyre is the story of an orphaned girl who is firstly taken in by a rude aunt, then sent to a boarding
Tiffany
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is it about Jane Eyre that I love?? The book is dark, depressing, lonely, sad and OHHHHH so good! I have read the novel a couple of times years ago. I thought I would check out the graphic novel version. I enjoyed. I forgot all about my favorite line in the book. It was in the graphic novel which thrilled me. To quote "I sometimes have a queer feeling with regard to you - especially when you are near me, as now: It is as if I have a string somewhere under my left ribs, tightly and inextrica ...more
Shannon
Charlotte Bronte's graphic novel depiction. It's a good focus on the Jane Eyre, especially if you found the novel to be laborious reading as I did back in the day. The graphic novel does a good job of following Jane's unhappy life as a child, serving as a governess and then falling in love with her master but then many problems arise. Prevalent themes about spiritual connections to love, love and religion blending or not blending and social status. Recommended for those who want a summary of thi ...more
David
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for period love stories :) This met and exceeded my expectations. I can't imagine a graphic novel taking a more complex story and representing the language, tone and themes as well as this one. Can I reiterate how much I love this language. The history of the Bronte family and other bits of historical context definitely shed light on and added to the mood of the story. ...more
Nicole Misra
Doing some graphic novel previewing for my ESOL students.
Jeff
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeff by: Dave Schaafsma
Shelves: comics
I wanted an easy-ish way to learn the original story before eventually reading Wide Sargasso Sea. Though this was simple, it wasn't very enjoyable as a comic. But it does seem to get the job done of conveying the original story. I'll probably watch a movie adaptation also. I doubt i'll ever read the original because it doesn't seem as engrossing as Pride and Prejudice.

Incidentally #1
The publisher, Classical Comics, offers three versions of some titles. Original Text means they haven't edited the
galpalkirk
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What makes Jane Eyre a classic has very little to do with the romance present in it. Even if the romance with Mr Rochester of course plays a huge part in the plot, it has very little to do with the theme of it.

My favorite quote from the original novel is one that has lived with me since I first read it in school as a teen, and while the quote itself is not actually present in this graphic novel, the message is still there.

”I can live alone, if self-respect, and circumstances require me so to do.
Ape
I'm interested in various artistic interpretations of the Bronte books. So whilst some purists may turn their nose up at a graphic novel of Jane Eyre, I am curious enough to read it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to the story - you definately want to start off with the original. And in fairness, the original is a lot better. The graphic novel captures the spirit of the plot to a point, although I found it lacking somehow. I think somehow they missed out on some quotes/spe ...more
Heather
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I understand this graphic novel to be a much watered down version on the original story, created to entice young readers to read, introduce them to the classics, and provide them with a chance to appreciate and understand great literature (according Classic Comics' mission statement). Never have I ever read or viewed an adaptation of Jane Eyre before, and this has certainly inspired me to pick up the original. I'm hoping it will be more gothic.

I'm not sure how to review this. I'll just say that
Jennifer Heine
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
This is a well done adaptation of Jane Eyre and makes this bookl accessible to students who may be intimidated by classic literature.
Elin (Tickmicks bokblogg)
4,5 stars.
Ginnie
The text is the worst part about this book because every other word it seems is randomly written in bold and it ruins the flow.
Hannah
May 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely artwork and portrayal of the events that happened in Jane Eyre, but I much preferred the original novel format for this type of story.
Meli
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For it's time, this is a wonderful book! Love, faith, jealously, and feminism are couched into a realistic and romanic mystery. Definitely enjoyed the comic book imagery too! ...more
Nath
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always a pleasure to read Jane Eyre! I’ll always have a bit of a book hanger over after finishing this book!
Jamie Dacyczyn
2016 Reading Challenge: A graphic novel based on a classic.

I didn't enjoy this book at all. I've never read Jane Eyre (as I tend to not do well with the rambling dry tone of most classics), so I figured this would be a good way for me to get a gist of the story to see if I'd like to tackle the actual book.

I didn't care for the illustration style (classic comic book aesthetic). Very dreary and dull with the usual white speech bubbles. Not something that's a pleasure to look at.

I don't know if it
Stacy
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Jane Eyre. It’s been many, many years since I read the classic, but over the years I’ve watched as many of the film adaptations as I can fit in. As much as I love Jane I have a more lukewarm response to graphic novels. I’ve only read a few but none have really wowed me. But, this one was the perfect combination of a favorite heroine, quality storytelling, and illustrations that felt authentic to the original story. In this version they use Bronte’s own words to tell the story.

For those th
Licha
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics, graphic
Can I say I am offcially in love? My breath was taken away by this story. I suppose I am a hopeless romantic and I was easily swept away by the romance of this book. Why can't modern romances compare to the classics? I am more touched by these stories of long ago than I am with the explicit-at-times books of today. There's more to be said for what's left to the imagination or the courtship of romance than the graphic tales of today.

This book is of course not the original read. It is in comic boo
Antonia
May 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
mh. it was quite good overall. i enjoyed reading it. the story is great as ever and the text worked well with the pictures although at times the speech bubbles were oddly placed. and from a - i don't know - "modern" point of view, the drawings did not quite match my taste.

anyways... i bought it with school in mind but this version is too hard for my pupils. should have gotten the quick text version. then as said above i don't think the graphics will cause much joy. it seems a bit old-fashioned.
Beth
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm about to write a ten page paper on what I think. Here's a summary: I don't think it could ever do the original justice. It's nature lends to a serious lack of depth. The art wasn't that fantastic either. It was literally just okay. ...more
Pam
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know I must have read the classic Jane Eyre in Jr. High as required reading but I don't think I realized then what a wonderful love story it is. I've only read a handful of graphic novels. I counldn't put this one down. ...more
Bindu
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: absolute-fun, awsome
First time I had read it was during my school days and now returning to the story through this lovely graphic novel!
Realini
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Eyre, based on the novel by Charlotte Bronte
9.6 out of 10

This is a remarkable, modern, yet faithful rendition of the classic novel, adapted for the modern viewer by an acclaimed director, half Japanese and half Swedish I hear, Cary Joni Fukunaga.

Mia Wasikowska is memorable in the title role of Jane Eyre, the rejected, strong, lonely but resilient, loyal and gritty, resourceful, brave, self sacrificing heroine.
She has the benefit of a first part in her life where she doesn't suffer privation
Susan
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
First of all, I am not fond of condensed classics. I tried to read this with an open mind, but having Jane's thoughts boiled down to captions and Bronte's dialogue taken out of context made reading this a chore rather than a pleasure. Books such as these focus on plot, not all that actually makes this a timeless piece. I would not recommend it for use in a class setting at all. And if you are a fan of Jane Eyre, take a pass on this. The illustrations are nicely done and do capture some of the go ...more
Kitty Red-Eye
I haven't read the original, which I guess I should. We'll see in time. Anyway, an Excellent way of reading this classic for someone who 1) feels s/he really should have read it, 2) thinks there are too many books out there and too little time 3) aren't 100% sure s/he has the patience for the full book at this point in life.

Or any other reason :)
Momina M.
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*3.5 stars.
"I don't think sir, you have a right to command me, merely because you are older than I, or because you have seen more of the world than I have;
your claim to superiority depends on use you have made of your
time
and experience."

• Jane Eyre
  • Jane Austen: Pride and Prejudice, Mansfield Park, Persuasion
  • Charlotte Bronte - Jane Eyre: Readers' Guides to Essential Criticism
  • Emily Brontë: Wuthering Heights: Critical Studies
  • The Making of Pride and Prejudice
  • The Sense and Sensibility Screenplay and Diaries: Bringing Jane Austen's Novel to Film
  • Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird
  • Gone With the Wind: the Definitive Illustrated History of the Book, the Movie, and the Legend
  • The Kite Runner: Graphic Novel
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
  • Charlotte's Web and Other Illustrated Classics
  • Persuasion by Jane Austen
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • Gone with the Wind: Part 1 of 2
  • Of Mice and Men
  • Little Women
  • 1984: George Orwell (SparkNotes Literature Guide)
  • Khaled Hosseini's The Kite Runner (Bloom's Guides)