Start by marking “After the Fires” as Want to Read:
After the Fires

After the Fires

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  18 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Reality burns away in this short story collection, revealing captivating, fantastical elements characteristic of Ursula Pflug. In this first collection of her extraordinary stories, worlds unfold like waking dreams where what was forgotten is remembered. The narrators accept these shadow worlds as their truth, seducing the reader into following to see what has been refashi ...more
Published June 1st 2008 by Tightrope Books, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about After the Fires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After the Fires

Ursula Pflug
Sep 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: books-i-wrote
There have been some nice reviews including Sue Dyment at The Peterborough Examiner and Katelynn Schoop at the now sadly defunct Danforth Review.

"Pflug’s impressive control of language creates a manageable framework for the imaginative content of her stories in which reality is shifted slightly, turned on its axis. Characters confront the impossibility of true communication with another person as their various relationships are mediated or perhaps enabled by letter-writing, drugs, and parallel w
Tapanga Koe
Apr 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you want some bang for your buck, this is the book! This collection of shorts will take you into many worlds, and you'll find them coming back to you (or, perhaps, you will be going back to them) again and again in memory. I absolutely loved it!
Leanne Simpson
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved every story in this book...engaging, challenging, crafted with metaphorical brilliance and pleasurable to read. I could see myself or aspects of my life in every one.
Scott Neigh
A collection of strange, wonderful stories that immerse the reader in streams of fantastic experience in urban settings, carry you along, and then spit you back out.
Lorina Stephens
Mar 21, 2009 rated it did not like it
Call me a literary slob, but I just don't get it. I understand the art of writing should always push the borders, delve into experimentalism. But, for me, like visual art, or any art for that matter, if we fail to communicate with our audience, if our art has become so internal as to be insular and isolated, if we fail to communicate, then our art has to some degree failed.

And that's how I feel about Ursula Pflug's incendiary, relentless anthology of speculative short stories, After the Fires.

Ian Lewis
Jan 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
It was....mystifying. For the person who is analytical, this is not the book for you. This collection of short stories is well written and imaginative but it only really suited for the right brained type of individual. Time is often relative, one impossibility flows into the next to make something else altogether....and then that newly formed idea is seemingly dropped, never to appear again.

Is the lack of coherence artistic? Is there a deeper meaning that I'm just to mechanical to fleece out? Sh
Cat Sass
Jennifer Bradshaw
Jul 13, 2018
Patrick Murtha
Nov 08, 2018
Born in Tunis to German parents, Ursula Pflug grew up in Toronto and attended the University of Toronto and The Ontario College of Art and Design. She travelled widely, living on her own in Hawai'i and in New York City as a teen in the late seventies. Formerly a graphic artist, Pflug began concentrating on her writing after moving to the rural Kawarthas to raise a family with the internationally k ...more