Start by marking “Knitting for Good!: A Guide to Creating Personal, Social, and Political Change Stitch by Stitch” as Want to Read:

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  169 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Every time we knit, we have the opportunity to create positive change in ourselves, our community, and in the world. That’s Betsy Greer’s fervent belief, and in this book she shows us how. Betsy explores the ways we can use knitting to slow down in a fast-paced culture, while using the craft to benefit charities in our communities, to advocate for worthwhile causes, and to ...more
Published November 11th 2008 by Roost Books

To ask other readers questions about Knitting for Good!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knitting for Good!

Manny
Feb 05, 2017 marked it as to-read
Not draws my attention to the following socially conscious knitting/crochet patterns, both available from ravelry.com:

Fuck Trump Scarf

Donald Trump Voodoo Pincushion
Jean
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: craft-books, knitting
When I initially borrowed this book from the library, I was under the impression that it was all about knitting charities and how to get involved via knitting. However, I was pleasantly surprised that this was more of a narrative of one woman's journey in life that knitting helped guide.

It does highlight many things I've read about knitting i.e. the meditative state, therapeutic, and a feeling of self-reliance. It was nice reading combined in one personalized narrative. She also highlights knit
Laura Elliott Monroe
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Pros:A fun read, LOTS of inspiration, and some good patterns.
Cons:Why isn't there more of it? ;)
The Bottom Line: Pick it up as a springboard for charitable knitting inspiration!

I have a knitting charity that provides wearable/usable goods for the homeless in my city, and I'm always looking for more ways to contribute to my community via knitting. I was thrilled when my best friend mailed me this book.

Publisher's review: Every time we knit, we have the opportunity to create positive change in our
Christine
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Christine by: Forrest
Shelves: non-fiction
A friend gave me this book over the holidays and it helped me see my crafting impulse in a couple of new ways, which was great. One new perspective is that of crafting as a way to subvert consumerism. If I make my own bag or socks or sweater instead of buying, the result is a totally unique item that I get to take complete ownership of. This helped me understand why so many of the items in the stores are just not quite what I'm looking for.

Betsy Greer also talks about the meditative side of kni
Heather
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
It was interesting... but not sure whether I would recommend it. she is a feminist and it's interesting how she found a way to say knitting is ok for feminists. Lol I was hoping for something other than what it was more or less about. she is really into activism and using knitting for activism. Where I just want to knit to help people. not make any statements. to each their own though
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crafting
more of a discussion about how to use knitting for activism rather than a book of patterns for activism which I had hoped for but still interesting.
Julie
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Makes me want to be a better person and a better knitter, not necessarily in that order.
Marlyn
Feb 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
I received this ARC through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. The subtitle says it all, really.
The book begins with an introduction to knitting (and by inference, other needle and fibre crafts) and it's re-emergence as a popular craft. The concept of knitting (etc.) as a link to one's ancestors is an important concept here.
Personally, I believe that knitting as an activity is inherently good: one is making warm garments or even toys to provide love and warmth to oneself or someone else. A
Apryl Anderson
This was a nice read; I don't have anything to say against it, yet I don't see it changing my world. Greer gives excellent suggestions and enthusiastic support for how we might use our handwork for positive change. Maybe it's just the extreme difference between American volunteerism versus the French complaint that you're taking work away from someone who's paid for it. So please! Pay me to knit all day!! I suppose that 'knitting for the good' in my world would be a happy marriage of social capi ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
I like the concept, and I agree with pretty much everything the author says, I'm just not sure it needed a whole book. Or maybe just that the execution wasn't the greatest. Plus, this was really about Crafting for good not Knitting: most of the examples varied greatly in the different types of craft they were talking about. I think they were latching onto the knitting fad with the title.

The basic premise of the book is that you can engender social change in just about everything you do. Just buy
Ellen
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I first read Betsy Greer's work in the anthology she complied called Craftivism. This earlier work show the origins of her later one. This book is her personal story of coming to knitting and discovering the connections which can be made with it, connections to many people, including a previously difficult to speak with relative, connections to strangers who see her knitting in public, and connections to activism, or craftivism. This personal story shapes the narrative, but does not overwhelm it ...more
Tom Franklin
Mar 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Greer starts her book by describing her own path to knitting and how it helped her see herself as part of a continuing series of women in her family line. Knitting was once a necessary skill, practiced by generations of women to help clothe their families, and reclaiming that craft by choice made a great difference in her life.

She then goes on to describe and suggest ways in which knitting can create community. The act of crafting can bring like-minded people together and offer ways to give of y
penny shima glanz
This line spoke the most to me, though I wish that it didn't need to be written:
"Textiles gave these women a voice; when they weren't allowed to speak, they could communicate their emotions through color, expressing their hopes and fears and anger stitch by stitch." (p 118 note: this refers to a Advanced Reader's Copy so you page number may vary).

Greer has done a very nice job in intermingling her experiences, the experiences and personal words of others, and how we ourselves can embrace crafti
Elise Cohen
"This is a lovely little book for any knitter's library. It jumps around a bit but provides a very pleasant read and a good deal of support and community building.[return]Greer writes of her thoughts on knitting as a personal journey as well as an opportunity for both creativity and activism. Knitters can influence their own personal growth through knitting and particularly though not exclusively through knitting for others. She also profiles a number of other knitters (including bloggers, write ...more
karenbee
Jun 11, 2009 rated it liked it
"Knitting for Good!" is a great idea. I've loved the idea of "craftivism" since I first heard it, through Betsy Greer, as a matter of fact. Maybe it's because this isn't a new concept for me, but I found this book to be sort of dry, even though there were personal stories sprinkled throughout the text. It just didn't work for me. Maybe I am not enough of a hardcore knitter.

There are also a few patterns in "Knitting for Good!" but nothing groundbreaking, and nothing I felt like adding to my queue
Tracey
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Adult nonfiction; knitting/social activism. If you are a knitting fanatic and will eagerly devour anything related to knitting, this is for you. Otherwise, you can skip this book, as it doesn't actually contain much information that you don't already know/can't figure out for yourself. There are a few ideas for making a positive impact with your knitting (knit scarves and hats for the homeless; blankets for animals at the shelter; knit tree and car-antenna cozies to brighten up certain corners o ...more
Victoria
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book feels important, one I'd like to own, and not for the patterns. It really captures the way I feel about both the act of knitting and the reclaiming of crafting - making our own clothes and other objects in our own ways - as related to feminism, activism, consumerism and personal growth. I grew up in a household of women who never gave up on creating clothing and handwork with pride, but that pride in craft went into the background some with my generation. I like getting it back, and se ...more
Nicole
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
This seems good for its intentions. It has suggestions on ways to knit for charity, and does a good job of showing many, many ways that crafting can benefit more than the crafter. (And also ways that it *does* benefit the crafter.) However, the yarns suggested for use in items to be donated seem a bit on the pricey side, and since this was a review copy there were lots of typos. I hope the typos will be corrected in the published version, but it did hinder my reading a bit.
Polly
Jul 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: knitting, scrapped
I just couldn't bring myself to finish this book. The first part is a self-discovery memoir with jumbled quotes randomly inserted. I got tired of reading the same "I'm a feminisist, AND I'm crafty" like the two could not coexist. Her insistence at adding "or whatever craft you do" after talking about knitting really distracted me. I kept this book by my side for weeks, but I could not will myself to finish it.
C.B. Wentworth
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
If you're a crafter looking for a greater purpose, this is a great inspirational read to help you find your niche in the craftisvism movement. Betsy Greer tells her own story of how she started knitting, while also sharing stories of other crafters. Her journey as knitting for herself to knitting for charity is moving in that it is an emotional and empowering process. Greer's enthusiasm is infectious and I can't wait to get started in my own journey to become a craftivist.
Desiree'
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Knitting and advocacy radiate cohesion when both are matched together; knitting and advocacy are acknowledged as polar opposites in general conversation. However, when they're combined to take a stand for a cause you believe in, then both knitting and advocacy are a duo worthy of actionable notice. The next time you plan to take a stand, then knit and make a stand for a cause you believe. Ecology is a yarn away.
Cupcakencorset
Sep 29, 2010 rated it liked it
What?! I’m allowed to read non-fiction occasionally! Yes, even two in a month’s time. Really. I have it in writing. (Get it?) Besides, this is technically a new year, so my having read the Yarn Harlot’s latest a couple of weeks ago totally doesn’t count. Anyway, it was good to read a book about using knitting to make our world better, up close and afar. I already agree with the principle, so it was self-affirming to see my own beliefs in print and in circulation.
Jayme
Apr 11, 2009 rated it liked it
This is an 'activist knitters' inspirational companion! I found that just reading this book made me want to pick up my knitting.

The projects sprinkled throughout the pages looked easy and fun. The book provides many ideas for how knitting can benefit others. In other words, if you already have one too many scarves and your family is sick of receiving hats for gifts, there are plenty of ways to channel that creative energy for the greater good.
Sian Lile-Pastore
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-interiors
i found this such an inspiration - and i don't even knit!
It's actually a book that applies to all kinds of crafts (although has a few knitting patterns in it) and looks at how craft can be helpful in your life and in other people's lives too. It links craft with Riot Grrrl and feminism and talks about community, knitting for good causes and craftivism.
Courtney
Aug 03, 2010 marked it as knitting-books
I am only 20 pages in but baffled by the continuous references to feminism, Riot Grrl, and related topics. I thought I was reading a book about service and charitable giving... I never thought those things were gender specific. The author's excessive focus on gender changes the entire tone of the book. I hope it improves.
Erin
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
A cute and inspiring read looking at knitting from various angles - the personal, social, and political - and how it can inspire and promote change or shift paradigms. A little bit self-self, a little bit rebel-rousing, entirely refreshing.
Shannon
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. The author so perfectly captured so much of my own feelings about knitting and activism. I've always been an activist but am a relatively new (albeit totally obsessed) knitter and this book so wonderfully examined the intersection of the two.
Hannah Kane
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Had to read this book for class. I'm not a knitting person, or even remotely crafty, so that could be why this book came across as a little self-satisfied to me. I bet knitters and other crafty folk would enjoy this book more than I did.
Karen
Jan 11, 2010 rated it liked it
This is a fun combination of knitting for self, knitting for the greater good of humanity with patterns sprinkled in. I'm just starting to get back into knitting after a 40 year absence and I missed having basic instructions, but aside from that it was a good inspiratiobn.
Bridget
May 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Stitchers of all varieties will see themselves in this book - what drew them to craft, what keeps them there - but Greer will also inspire you to do more with your crafting, offering everything from interviews to patterns to inspiration on how to affect your community and the world with craft.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Knitting for Peace: Make the World a Better Place One Stitch at a Time
  • Inspired to Knit: Creating Exquisite Handknits
  • Craft Activism: People, Ideas, and Projects from the New Community of Handmade and How You Can Join In
  • Lace One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects Celebrating the Possibilities of Lace
  • Knitting Block by Block: 150 Blocks for Sweaters, Scarves, Bags, Toys, Afghans, and More
  • The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make
  • Sock Innovation
  • No Sheep for You: Knit Happy with Cotton, Silk, Linen, Hemp, Bamboo & Other Delights
  • Knitting Little Luxuries: Beautiful Accessories to Knit
  • Brave New Knits: 26 Projects and Personalities from the Knitting Blogosphere
  • Mindful Knitting: Inviting Contemplative Practice to the Craft
  • Folk Socks: The History & Techniques of Handknitted Footwear
  • New England Knits: Timeless Knitwear with a Modern Twist
  • Yarn Bombing: The Art of Crochet and Knit Graffiti
  • French Girl Knits
  • Knit One Knit All
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • 10 Secrets of the LaidBack Knitters: A Guide to Holistic Knitting, Yarn, and Life
1952920
I'm a craft nerd who wrote Knitting for Good in 2008 and will be coming out with a craftivism anthology, Craftivism The Art of Craft and Activism in the spring of 2014. I've also written essays for books like Extra Ordinary Craft and Contemporary Art and Handmade Nation. I like Lionel Richie's smooth jams, teatime, and the seaside.
More about Betsy Greer...
“True magic happens when we create with our hands and dream from our hearts.” 2 likes