Start by marking “With Love, Little Red Hen” as Want to Read:
With Love, Little Red Hen

With Love, Little Red Hen (Dear Peter Rabbit #3)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  129 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Hidden Forest has a new resident. Little Red Hen and her seven little chicks have moved into a cottage and plan to grow a bountiful crop of corn in the nearby field. The problem is that none of the Red Hen's neighbors are willing to help with the hard work. "Not I," says the dog, the goose, and the lazy cat. So Goldilocks, who has heard about the new arrivals from her frie ...more
Published December 1st 2004 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about With Love, Little Red Hen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With Love, Little Red Hen

Kristen
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
We had read "Yours Truly, Goldilocks" a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed it. So when I saw there was a sequel, I had to grab it. My library doesn't actually have the first book in the series, "Dear Peter Rabbit" - bummer.

This book was just as good as the first one. I love the format of these books. They're so unique. The author is able to tell a story through letters and pictures. While there are a lot of words on the page which makes it a little too long for my 2 year old, I know she'll real
Shannon
Sep 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Extra star because of how much Jolly Postman-era Shannon would have adored this book.
James Potts
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
"With Love, Little Red Hen", by Alma Flor Ada, was an amazing book! I loved every second of reading this book! I would say though, this book is more of a longer short story book. I would recommend for a new reader reading on their own. It can be very easy to loose track of where you are at in the story. I love that this whole story is set up in letter formation between two friends in the wilderness. This would be an amazing book for a student or child that likes animals. It is a very well writte ...more
Joey Zadina
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
With Love, Little Red Hen is an incredible book that is layered with characters that we all know and love such as: Goldilocks, Peter Rabbit, Little Red Riding Hood, and the bad wolves just to name a few. This book takes a spin on old tales and uses the characters and story lines in order to create a new and innovative way to follow the lives of the old time characters. Alma Flor Ada is so innovative and creative to use letters that go from character to character in order to tell the story. This ...more
Dee
Dec 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Donna
Shelves: children-s-books
This book was written in letters, letters as in Dear Goldi. This is a different twist completely to the story of The Little Red Hen. All of our favorite storytime characters, Little Red Riding Hood, Hetty Hen, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Fer O'Cious the wolf and many more all come together in this story of the lost art of letter writing. Very clever. The story remains the same as far as the lazy old dog, cat and goose not helping Little Red Hen plant her garden. Her many friends pitch in and ...more
Devi Henn
This story was so cute! It is laid out in letter format. It talks about how a Hen and her chicks come to town and she asks for help with her garden, but no one wants to help her because she is new. Eventually she does get help and invites everyone over in celebration of having a successful garden. A theme that I got from this book was helping new neighbors without having to ask or get anything in return, and that is what good friends do.
This could tie into the classroom with literacy. Students
Melanie, Aaron, Annie, and Mary Project
Read by: Annie
Author: Alma Flor Ada Illustrator: Leslie Tyron
Genre: Traditional Literature
Interest Level: K-2
Grade Level Equivalent: 3.5

Told through a series of letters between some popular fairy tale characters, this is the story of how Little Red Hen was secretly helped by Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, and Peter Rabbit to care for her cornfield, while they were all also being hunted by two wolves! It contains great vocabulary and contains lessons about cooperation and helping others. Als
Marcelaine
Nov 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
I thought it was stretching it quite a bit to have a story with the three little pigs, goldilocks and the three bears, the little red hen, little red riding hood, some wolves, and especially Peter Rabbit. The book is written in letter format, which is annoying for reading aloud. The actual story might have been good if written in a different format, but as it is I read it to my kids twice and refused to read it again because I couldn't stand reading it aloud.
Desiree Kulewsky
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 10-library-books
This book was cute because every page there was a different letter from characters such as goldilocks, little red hen, little red riding hood, wofly and more. The only thing that i didnt like was that it dragged on a bit. Too many letters.
Sharlene Spencer
Oct 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
The author cleverly connects the lives of unrelated fairy tale characters using letters.
This book can be used when teaching a lesson on writing letters. It can also be used when teaching critical practices.
Dana
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This book is so fun and clever! So engrossing and well done that I have wanted to read Hetty Hen each time I've read it with Maisie. This will just add more fuel to my bias towards books written in letter format.
Jennifer Ho
Mar 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it has all the fairy tale characters children would know such as Goldilocks, Little Red Riding Hood, the Wolf, and Peter Rabbit. Also, the book is told and written in letter form so this would be good to introduce children to writing letters.
Suburban Homeschooler
It's funny… This is a picture book so you would think it is for a younger crowd, but each page has a full length letter written on it so it is quite long --definitely for the uppermost elementary grades I think.
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: N

Elementary: E ADA

Read letters written to and from fairy tale characters such as Goldilocks, Little Red Hen, Wolves, and Little Red Riding Hood. If you like this book see also Dear Peter Rabbit (have) and Yours Truly, Goldilocks (don't have)
Amber
This book is a cute way to introduce and review letters with children. They have letters from the hen, Goldilocks, and the big Bad Wolf. Characters that most of the children should be familar with. It had good illustrations and it showed the proper way to write and address letters.
Karen
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked this book and thought it was clever, but I am confused about the target audience. The illustrations, including the one on the cover, skew toward lower elementary, but the writing is far more sophisticated and skews toward mid to upper elementary.
Erica
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Read letters written to and from fairy tale characters such as Goldilocks, Little Red Hen, Wolves, and Little Red Riding Hood. If you like this book see also Dear Peter Rabbit and Yours Truly, Goldilocks. Great for teaching what a friendly letter should look like.
Paula
A series of letters describe the actions of Goldilocks, Peter Rabbit, the Three Pigs, Little Red Hen, and other storybook characters when Little Red Hen and her chicks become the target of the unsavory Wolf and his cousin, Fer O'Cious.
Beka
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kurt-s-books
Kurt thought it got a bit boring with all the letters back and forth and nothing else.
Sarah King
Letters to and from different fable characters.
Tracy
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like stories that are told through letter writing.
Amy
Nov 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This picture book is a series of letters between the Little Red Hen, Goldilocks, and various other characters from fairy tales. Probably of interest to older readers.
Angie
Jul 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! I love the illustrations, I love the letters, I love the inter-mingling of characters from other stories...I love everything about this book!
Dotty
Lovely exchange of letters. And it was chicken focused, always a winner :-)
Teresa Garrett
Feb 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sequel to Yours truly, Goldilocks. Another great mentor text to teach letter writing. Good way to review fairy tales with older students.
M.
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Super cute. This is kind of in the same vein as "Into the Woods" where it combines and overlaps a few different children's stories. I wan this one for my collection.
Noell
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-maverick
Love the idea of this story being told through the use of letters to familiar storybook characters; however, it may make it difficult for little ones to follow.
Erin Banet
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book that incorporates so many fairy tales. Great for making predictions.
Amy
  • The Little Red Pen
  • The Runaway Dinner
  • What REALLY Happened to Humpty?: From the Files of a Hard-Boiled Detective
  • Incredible Painting Of Felix Clousseau
  • A Museum Adventure (Library Mouse #4)
  • Dog in Charge
  • My Friend Bear
  • The Little Scarecrow Boy
  • Tallulah's Solo
  • The Three Little Javelinas
  • Beautiful Blackbird
  • Bashful Bob And Doleful Dorinda
  • My Mom Has X-Ray Vision
  • You Think It's Easy Being the Tooth Fairy?
  • Oh No! Not Again!: (Or How I Built a Time Machine to Save History) (Or at Least My History Grade)
  • Arthur's Birthday (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Put It On the List!
  • The Tale of Tricky Fox
(http://facebook.com/almaflorada)

Dr. Ada was the founder and First Editor in Chief of :
NABE, Journal of the National Association for Bilingual Education

She has been active for many years in various professional associations including : IRA, International Reading Association
CRA, California Reading Association
CABE, California Association for Bilingual Education
USIBBY, US Branch of the International
More about Alma Flor Ada...

Dear Peter Rabbit (3 books)
  • Dear Peter Rabbit