Start by marking “The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker” as Want to Read:
The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker

The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker

As the wife of retired ship’s doctor Dr Henry Parker, Evelyn is living out her twilight years aboard the Golden Sunset. Every night she dresses for dinner and regales her fellow passengers with stories of a glamorous life travelling the world. The crew treat her with deference. And forbearance.

But when Henry goes missing, Evelyn sets off to search every part of the ocean l
Expected publication: September 24th 2019 by Hachette Australia

To ask other readers questions about The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker

Paromjit
Joanna Nell after The Single Ladies of Jacaranda Retirement Village has written of another elderly character in this novel, it appears Nell is beginning to become somewhat of an expert when it comes to depicting older characters. Here she writes with humanity and compassion about Evelyn, who introduces herself as Mrs Henry Parker to others. Henry was a cruise ship doctor, now retired and the couple have chosen to spend their retirement continuing to live on the cruise ship, The Golden Sunset, th ...more
Phrynne
I can't give this one the love that other reviewers are giving it! I found I was just plain uncomfortable with the premise that a woman in the early stages off dementia could be left wandering around a cruise ship for days.

That did not work for me but putting it aside it was a well written book with a lot of interesting back story. The character of Mrs.Parker was certainly well written - I wanted to gather her up and help her much like a few of the passengers did. The ending was unexpected and
Dale Harcombe
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For years Evelyn and her husband Henry have lived aboard the Golden Sunset ocean liner. For years he was the ship’s doctor. But now Henry is missing. Evelyn need to find him. While searching for him, in her special Finding Henry running shoes, Evelyn makes some new friends. She is only too happy to tell them of how she and Henry met back in 1953 and share some of the highlights of their life together. While she remembers these things clearly, other details escape her. How can her memory be so go ...more
Marianne
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Home. Evelyn considered the word. What did home mean? The place where one lived? Not bricks and mortar, certainly, for theirs had been made of steel and glass. If home meant family, then this ship and all its crew and passengers were the only home she could remember. But if home was the place where she and Henry were together, side by side as man and wife, then she was already homeless.”

The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker is the second novel by Australian GP, author (and former ship’s doctor),
Michelle
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker by Joanna Nell is a delightful tale of Mrs Parker searching for her husband Henry on the Golden Sunset Ocean Liner. Henry Parker used to be the doctor on the Golden sunset now retired living on the liner with His wife Evelyn. But one day Henry goes missing. Evelyn goes on a mission to find him, using the ships maps and remembering the life they have lived on it. But, at times getting confused which results her getting herself in all sorts of trouble. She meets ...more
Helen
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story has so many things that make it great, it is emotional and sad at times, funny and uplifting with the care and love that is shown and above all else it is a beautiful love story told by a beautiful character Mrs. Henry Parker, even if she can’t remember everything, she never forgets Henry, I hope that you pick this one up and enjoy the search for Henry as much as I did.

Evelyn Parker has lived most of her life cruising the world she is a nurse and gave that up when she married ships do
Jeanie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to netgalley for an early copy in return for an honest review
What a FANTASTIC book I laughed and cried it kept my interest to the very end I can highly recommend this book
Sara Oxton
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Last Voyage of Mrs Henry Parker by Joanna Nell a fantastic five-star read. I loved the Single Ladies of Jacaranda Retirement Village, so was excited to read this one and love how this author has a way of writing older people and capturing them in a great manner, the characters are loveable but also real, Mrs Henry Parker isn’t just a lovely old lady, who gets along with everyone all the time, she is opinionated and reminds me of a couple of the older ladies that I work with. This is a great ...more
Sep 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a truly lovely book about an elderly lady who has dementia. A perfect mix of sadness and laughter, I became extremely fond of Evelyn as I made my way through the book and she made her way around a cruise ship looking for her husband who has gone missing.

Having previously enjoyed The Single Ladies Of Jacaranda Retirement Village, I was pretty certain this book would be just as good, and I was right as Joanna Nell writes about older people is such an interesting way.

Poignant and heart-warmi
Sharon
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This wonderful whimsical tale transports you to various locations and times as Mrs Henry Parker searches a cruise ship for her lost husband.
It had me hooked throughout.
A truly delightful read that includes one of my favourite quotes “nostalgia is not what it used to be “
Many congratulations and grateful thanks to NetGalley and Hodder Stoughton for the opportunity to preview.
I loved it. An easy read that has emotion, friendships, the experience of growing old, love and loss.
Janet
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
A poignant and heart-warming book. It is the story of Evelyn, an elderly woman on a cruise searching for her missing husband. It is both a funny and a sad story, written with a delicate and sympathetic touch. The central character of Evelyn is very endearing and the ending is so emotional. A truly beautiful book.
I received a free review copy of the book from the publisher in exchange for my honest and unedited review.
Ann
Sep 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Moving and entertaining story of a woman who has lived on cruise ships since she married a sailor, then they are spending their retirement on cruise ships. As the latest cruise is about to start, Eve can't find her husband, Henry. A series of situations arise, comic, sad, frustrating, for both Eve and those around her, before she finally finds out what happened to Henry.
Shannon Kate
Caelli Greenbank
Aug 14, 2019
Andrea
Aug 17, 2019
Joanna Nell is a UK born writer and doctor. Her short fiction has won multiple awards and has been published in various journals and literary anthologies. In 2016 she was awarded a residency at The Bundanon Trust. Her bestselling debut novel The Single Ladies of Jacaranda Retirement Village was published by Hachette Australia and Hodder & Stoughton (UK) in 2018.
A former ship's doctor, Joanna n