Start by marking “At Daddy's Hands: Courage Knows No Age” as Want to Read:
At Daddy's Hands: Courage Knows No Age

At Daddy's Hands: Courage Knows No Age

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  35 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In public, Jim Handler is a well-respected, small-town hero, and homicide detective who solved the case of the Will’s Creek Massacre. But at home, in the shadows, Jim’s childhood demons come alive to feast upon his family in the form of sexual, physical, and mental abuse.

But his three teenage children have had enough. They have devised a plan for redemption.

Empowered by th
Kindle Edition, First Printing, 152 pages
Published September 12th 2019 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about At Daddy's Hands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about At Daddy's Hands

really liked it 4.00  ·

Linda Strong
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Jim Handler is a man with a gun ...and a badge. He's a homicide detective... and a small town hero.

Jim Handler is married with 2 daughters and a son. He is also abusive ..physically, mentally, sexually. And it's getting more severe day by day. His wife is drinking to deal with her husband, leaving her children at his mercy.

The older daughter reported the abuse to a teacher, who reported to the school psychologist, who reported it to the police. The police notified Handler and of course,
Irene
Aug 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After years of abuse, and being failed by the system, one family takes matters into their own hands.
I want to say this book was unbelievable, but sadly, living in a time when just a month ago, a judge admonished lawyers for not telling a rape victim she might ruin her rapists life by pressing charges and suggesting that since the rapist comes from a "good family" he should not have to face consequences makes this story feel all too real. Jim Handler, husband, father, hero, pedophile can do no w
Paula
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Books like this (child physical, sexual, and emotional abuse) are hard to read due to the disturbing subject matter. However, it is essential to hear what occurs as these are real things that happen to children and families.

The story is told from the perspective of each person involved and done well. The author discusses how the system can sometimes abuse the victim even more. It also shines a light on the hero’s that step forward.

I was able to read this in one night as the author developed the
Britt
*I got this review free from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I... huh.

This might be the hardest book I have ever had to review. While the story itself is fiction, it deals with very heavy, serious subjects. As the TW states, there is abuse, sexual assault, childhood rape, and familial rape as the basis of this story. If you continue to read this review and find any of those subjects triggering, please proceed with caution.

Honestly, I have no idea what to rate this book. I have battle
Cassandra Struble
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was totally gripping! It starts off with 3 kids coming up with a plan to get themselves out of an abusive situation At Daddy's Hands. This chapter ends on a cliff hanger. Then it sends you right into the back stories of each of the 3 kids and the wife/mother. It sends you on quite the roller coaster of emotions giving you a peek at what someone in a situation like this would be going through mentally and physically. For me it gave insight to the question of "why don't they speak up and ...more
CloudOfThoughts_Books Keirstin
At Daddy’s Hands by author Jacob Paul Patchen is a tough to read yet remarkable thriller of a book. It probably won’t be for everyone, but it’s good!

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Divya Sunil
At Daddy’s Hands by Jacob Paul Patchen
Wow this book literally took the will to live out of me. Child sexual abuse is a brutal truth that we have to face and it is rampant the world over but this book really hits you in the face with this harsh reality.
Reading this book was far from enjoyable – it was gut wrenching but I guess sometimes we got to get rid of the escapist attitude within us and open our eyes to the real world.
Jim is a well respected homicide detective but there is a dark side to hi
Andrea Pole
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
At Daddy's Hands by Jacob Paul Patchen chronicles the horrific realities of domestic abuse from the individual perspectives of each member of a single family. Gritty, graphic, and difficult to process, this is nonetheless an epidemic that needs to be addressed. Although the family is fictitious, the circumstances, unfortunately, are a grim reality for many of those whom we encounter socially in our daily lives. The inclusion of personal stories solicited by the author are brief yet impactful, an ...more
Janice Lombardo
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems as if there is something wrong with the mother of this family, Ashley. However, when her husband, Jim, comes home from work (as a police detective) we find out the truth. Ashley is one of the number of abused/battered women in our country, today. Their children, Ally (16), Tyler (15), and Nikki (11), each have a story of their father's abuse to them as well. The children form a pact to try to poison their father but it fails...

We find out that Jim was abused as a child and Ashley left a
Bookworm LLC
Aug 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cindy-bookshelf
J. Marie
This book, being about sexual abuse against children, was hard to read for obvious reasons. Patchen was able to convey the scene without overstepping the line. The character perspectives were written in the format of the persons age and managed to capture feelings and intent which was powerful. There are scenes in this book that are very maddening and make you want to personally avenge the characters. Be ready for an emotional rollercoaster.
One thing against this book, it could have been writte
Courtney Lavallee
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
Thank you to the publisher as well as Netgalley for an e-arc in exchange for an honest review.

This book was definitely not for me, I dnf'd it due to graphic material.

Now I knew this book would deal with a tough subject, however, most books I have read don't seem very realistic. This book was realistic and more, while I do agree that more books need to be like this one it definitely isn't something I can read.

There was quite a bit of stuff that I just couldn't read due to past experiences, as w
Elizabeth Kenisell
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I used to Enjoy reading very much. Unfortunately life got in the way of that and I didn't have much time anymore to dedicate to books. I started back in some my reading adventure with this book. After a few interruptions while trying to get this book read I Finally found a quiet place sat down in finished the book. I already want to read it again. This book had me feeling all types of emotions right along with the characters. It was very difficult to not become a part of the book while read ...more
Vanessa
Trigger warning: child physical, sexual, and emotional abuse, domestic violence, spousal rape.

At Daddy's Hand highlights how abuse can happen in families where it is least expected. The people we put our trust in the most, in this case/book the police, can be the people who abuse it the most. The story is told from the perspectives of each family member, including the abuser. The author discusses how the system can further victimize the abused and how "justice" can benefit the abuser more than t
Doris Vandruff
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jim Handler, husband, father, star detective and child molester. His three children have been raped and abused by this man. His wife beaten to a pulp.
No one believes them. No one will listen. The children decide to take things into their own hands. They hope a percocet cocktail will end their abuse.
This is a story about strength, courage and survival. Though this story is fiction it is written about a subject that presently is running rampant in our society. Children being abused and no one lis
Katrina Reads
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I want to say I enjoyed this book, but given the subject matter involved “enjoyed” may not be the best term to use. It had me hooked, and I felt extreme emotions for the characters and what they endured. It is both powerful and gripping, tracing the story of a family’s abuse at the hands of their father/husband. It is thought-provoking and raises awareness of what can (and unfortunately is) going on behind closed doors, even by those deemed respectable by the outside world.

Whilst being marketed
Yellagirlgc
This was a not the easiest subject matter to read. Sexual and physical abuse from anyone is HORRIBLE! But when its from a parent its exponentially more horrendous is my opinion. This was very well written and sad to read. I LOVED the victim stories that were included in the end.

Thank you Netgalley, the publisher and to Jacob Paul Patchen for allowing me to read and honestly review this ARC.
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's always hard with these type of books on such topics to actually 'enjoy' reading them, but overall this is a well put together book which keeps you turning the pages. I would preferred more detail put in the characters who were abused rather than the abuser however.

Thank you to Netgalley and Black Rose Writing for an advanced reading copy in exchange for an honest review and feedback.
Angie
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
God, this book broke my heart. It's such a sensitive and important piece of work. Thanks to Jacob for writing it and solidarity with all the brave people who shared their stories at the end. This novel tells a tale as old as time, of the evil lurking in many homes across the world, the flaws in the system which devastate lives further and the ability of survivors to heal.
Kelly
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was heartbreaking to read. Although a subject that does need to be discussed more within a public forum. It was engrossing in the type of manner where you needed to read more but didn't necessarily want to know what the characters went through.
A hard hitting read but worthy for everyone. The tone of the book makes it more an adult read than a YA one.
Jennifer Ayre
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Patricia Harris
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At Daddy’s Hands, such a powerful and disturbing read. A father(a cop), that the whole town thinks is a hero, abuses his wife and children. I had many different emotions going on while reading this. Anger, sadness, more anger!! This was a hard book to read due to the awful actions of this man, but one that needs to be out there. So sad that this happens way too often in this world now and that the justice system works pretty much the way it was portrayed in this book. Thank you to the author for ...more
Basicsadie
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a well-written book on a very hard, heartbreaking subject. The author did an excellent job portraying the horrors that exist in many houses across the globe and hits home to many victims and their abusers! This book will evoke many emotions and feelings and touch your very core being!
Kate Church
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone. I can't wait to read more by this author. His writing style is good.
Anomaly
I respect what this book sets out to do. Before things spiralled - when I'd only just read the first chapter - I appreciated the story very much. It felt poignant and hauntingly realistic and had what appeared to be a terrifying yet vaguely hopeful end. There were only two characters I particularly liked, and I hated both parents, but overall the story seemed to be grounded in (a very depressing part of) reality.

Unfortunately, as the chapters unfolded, things just got incredibly unrealistic. Of
Christy Wv Tate
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was hard to read not because it was written well but because of the subject matter. It has triggers( abuse physical/ sexual).

It was a good book. It was written from a neat perspective, it started from in the middle then flashed back and then you caught you back up. I enjoyed how it ended.

I appreciate how the author spoke to survivors. In fact, one of the survivors stories actually came from the town I live in. I know abuse is all around. My mother is a retired social worker- one of h
Black Rose Writing
rated it it was ok
Aug 22, 2019
Charlotte
Aug 20, 2019
Jacob Graham, writing as Jacob Paul Patchen, was born and raised outside of Byesville, Ohio where he spent his youth tormenting babysitters and hiding in trees. Jacob earns his inspiration through experience. Using a unique voice of wit, grit, and raw, untamed honesty, he writes about social issues, such as, family, love, humor, learning, and war. Jacob is a 5-star author, award winning poet, insp ...more