Start by marking “Deviate (Love in the City, #1)” as Want to Read:
Deviate (Love in the City, #1)

Deviate

(Love in the City #1)

A Love in the City Novel

Falling for him was not part of the plan.

It was the perfect plan. I would marry one of my closest friends and reap the financial rewards. He needed a savior right when I showed up on my white horse. We'd been friends for years, so now we'd be glorified roommates. No one had to know two straight guys decided to tie the knot. We agreed nothing wo
Published July 15th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Deviate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deviate

A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
5+ Stars

Deviate by Mia Monroe is a beautiful love story. The idea of loving a person not restricted by their gender is explored and developed perfectly with Deviate. This twist on the traditional friends to lovers genre intrigued me from the start.

Quinn and Jason struggle through their emotions and preconceived ideas about life and love. Their chemistry builds over the course of the book and I felt the emotional tension escalate as though I was there with them. I found myself thinking about Jas
AlitaConejita
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5kin2019, m-m
Hmm - not the standard contemporary (M/M) romance.

I’ve gotten to the point I’m used to a certain pacing:
30% - initial engagement (or more physical if on the erotica end of the romance genre)
50-60% - full on physical engagement
75ish% romance crisis
80-90% resolution

This book doesn’t evolve that way. It’s more of a smooth flow ... the broadening and deepening of a relationship. Not angsts at all, and no big crisis point though the characters do have some things to work through. The different pac
Up All Night With Books
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 Stars
Review by Allyson
Late Night Reviewer
Up All Night w/ Books Blog

An unpredictable, beautiful and tantalizing story.

Jason and Quinn have been good friends for quite a long time. Both in two different career paths but their friendship has stayed true. When one needs to ask the favor of a lifetime, commitment and bonds of friendship are tested; emotions and feelings rise.

Deviate showcases more than just a normal MM romance dabbling in love and lust. No, it broadens our horizons and teaches u
Jen Zingaro
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
4.5 stars -- Honestly.
I am blown away that this book was a debut from a new author.
Blown.away.
This story has such a unique plot. A marriage of convenience to benefit to straight friends.
The writing was smooth. Interesting characters. Well-paced and I didn't want to put it down.
It's sexy and hot and just everything you want out of a good book.
Mindy Reader
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
Easy friends to lovers romance

This was a sweet lighthearted friends to lovers romance in the M/M category. Sex scenes were nice (somewhat tame) and story was ok. Reminds me a bit of the hallmark movie Love comes Softly. Everything was pretty easy for our heroes with relatively zero drama/angst. I usually prefer my M/M romance to be more aggressive/intense. If you are looking for a quick lighthearted new age M/M romance then this may be for you.
Lily Garcia
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Must-read debut of 2019!

Omg is this really Mia Monroe’s debut? I loved it and read it in two sittings! I can’t remember the last time I stayed up late to finish reading a book. It was so good and the sexual tension between Jason & Quinn was off the charts! So happy I took a chance on this new author. I can’t wait for the next standalone book in the series!

#TopFavoritesOf2019
Kate
Do you know what one of my favourite tropes is? Fake relationships. I can't tell you why it just is. Seeing two people grow together and fall in love when there is at least something there between them before they find themselves in the relationship (friendship, attraction, raw chemistry) does something to me. Now take that trope (well, more like a marriage of convenience) and add it to a first time same-sex relationship where two close friends transition to lovers before the end?

YES PLEASE!!!!
Between the sheets book reviews
WOW!!!!! You would not believe after reading DEVIATE that this is Mia Monroe’s first book... she seems like a well seasoned Author with years of experience. I absolutely loved this story, it is up there on my favourite M/M book list.

It starts out as two long time male close friends , Jason is a billionaire with everything money can buy and Quinn is a struggling artist who is finding it difficult to make ends meet. Both men are straight but at the current point in their lives are not wanting to
Jean Malherbe
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is one of the most unusual "slow burn" stories I've ever read.
I love this new to me author.
The writing is strong and error free.
The angle of this tale is quite unique in that both MCs are straight guys looking to solve life's problems.
A (almost) fake marriage will be a win-win. No mess no fuss. Just friends helping one another out of complicated financial issues.

I loved that there were no underlying "secret crushes" from their youth, but just a gradual development of feelings as they spend
C.B.
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes there's a reason you get bored dating women. I don't want to pay more taxes just because I'm single! Charlie, friend. Quinn, friend in financial distress. My issue is how the guys will talkopenly about the marriage scheme in a bar? Jason is starting to notice the physical attributes of Quinn. He already knows his personality, his dreams, his goals and his thoughts. Quinn is open to whatever develops. Jason is still questioning himself even though he knows he wants Quinn. Searching for ...more
Shelley Chastagner
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. A sweet, gay for you story that really impressed me. I fell in love with Jason and Quinn as they were falling in love with one another. The build from friendship, to lust, to deep love was a great journey. These two had chemistry in spades and it ignites with one simple kiss. I was impressed with Quinn as he slowly led Jason to open his heart to the possibility of 'them', never pushing. The paintings draw the reader along with the storyline and Quinn's poem for Jason was swoon-worthy. ...more
BusyM3
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A well written story that has you hooked right from the beginning. Falling for him was not the plan. It was a perfect plan, I would just marry my good friend Quinn and get the financial rewards. He would get taken care of and not worry about money and just considerate on his art. We have been friends and now we can be roommates. No one will need to know, that two straight guys decided to get married. We agreed nothing would change. So when did the plan change. Suddenly I was feeling things and s ...more
G.E.Lambert
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deviate: to depart from an established course

This book was perfectly named. The premise of the book is a marriage of convenience - between two men. Friends for most of their lives, these two men discover an even deeper connection when they decide to marry for monetary reasons. The author leads us through their touching jorurney of discovery of indecision, emotion, passion, fear and love. I was totally involved with every step of this story and would urge you to read it. I am eager for this autho
Anabela.M.
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
When Jason and Quinn sign the contract before their fake marriage, they were so convinced that they're safe from developing feelings for each other. And I had so much fun watching their plans blow up in flames...specifically the flames of their passion...

Living together only brings out how good they get along ,but slowly their perfect match as friends is interlaced with  desire and need for something more. Of course Jason has doubts and questions, surprised by his attraction for another man, but
Cynthia Brooks
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jason is a billionaire and needs to get married for tax reasons. He doesn't trust any of the women he knows. He's afraid they'll want more than he can give them. Charlie his close friend and account suggests he marry Quinn another close friend. Quin is a struggling artist and could use the financial help that Jason can give him. They're both straight so it will be in name only. They will only be roommates. I really like this book.
PortlandAvidReader
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A married for convenience to lovers story

The story is well written, the plot well planned out and developed, the characters marvelously developed. This is one of the best mm stories I have read in a long while. I liked how Mia slowly develops Jason from a straight workaholic to a man who loves another man. She has him work through his preconceptions of himself and the way he functions in society. I highly recommend this book.
Judy
Jul 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I’ve read by this author and I don’t even know where to begin. When I read the blurb I felt this would be an interesting, fun mm story. Boy it is so much more. It is interesting, fun and mm but it is also beyond emotional, well thought out, sexy, unsure relationship and a outstanding romance story. It is so much more than mm. The author lays out several times its not the gender a person falls in love with but rather the two people who fit together and fall in love no matte ...more
Debbie
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Beautifully written story of two friends going though the day to day of falling off in love. It was so nice to see there's two friends fall in love with each other. I couldn't put the book down once I started reading it. JKP and Quinn was just to not intense characters that you fall in love reading about. Can't wait for the next book.

Georgiana
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“What you need is a marriage of convenience.”

This is my first read by Mia Monroe and it didn’t disappoint.

This story was so much more than I expected. I was emotional, fun, sexy, serious, and romantic. I found it really thought out and well written.

Jason and Quinn are close friends. Jason wants to find a loophole in his taxes that helps him save more. Quinn is a starving artist about to get evicted from his studio. The two decide to do a marriage of convenience or as they would call it a par
Caroline
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved, loved it.
A beautiful love story that had my attention from the first chapter.

A marriage of convenience between two straight men that benefits both of them, becomes so much more. A friends to lovers romance with an agonizing slow burn, but so much care and feelings for each other.

Congrats on a great book Mia Monroe.
Meeka
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this m/m book by Mia Monroe. This my first time reading anything from this author and surprise how entertaining it was. This book was written well and kept me intrigued with the storyline! There was great parts to this story and had great heated scenes in the book. Great read!

I volunteer to give my honest review on this arc book.
James Williams
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deviate concentrates on the two main characters and their development and the storyline and doesn’t get sidetracked by inconsequential characters or events. There are only 6 main characters in the book, which makes it easy to read and follow. Deviate should be on the reading list of everyone who likes to read MM romances and would probably be enjoyed by some readers of MF romances also.
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great debut! Enjoyed this read about Quinn and Jason! Fantastic characters and story premise! Wonderful and amazing! Enjoy!

Spunky N Sassy
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Spunky N Sassy Rating: 4.0

~~~~~~~~~~Lindsey's ⭐⭐⭐⭐ Review~~~~~~~~~~

This friends to lovers romance was absolutely perfect. This book made me feel everything. I can’t wait to dive into the rest of this series.
Ravenclaw Silverstripe
Aug 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
Was hoping for a good OFY M/M but this has an unwelcome surprise of an FF/orgy/voyeur scene and no thank you. Absolutely not my thing. DNF

I’m so glad I skimmed this because I was reading my warning signs and knew something felt off to me. Yeah. Unfortunate outcome. Just entirely not for me.
Nicole Harris
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I liked how Jason and Quinn just let things flow between them to see where their relationship was going. Are they just friends or lovers?
Amanda Roden
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Read

This book was a good book, especially for a first time author. I enjoyed it and we'll most likely read what she writes next.
Donna
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5-4 stars
Anne Milne
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a great debut book by a new author.

This was a new take on arranged marriage and it was MM so win win for me. Jason and Quinn's friendship was a delight to read. The slow burn aspect was done at a good pace. The story went beyond the sexual tension and chemistry which was there in abundance. The author very sympathetically showed the feelings of both men whilst they navigate this unexpected change in their friendship. I can't think of a better book to illustrate the saying love is love.

Thi
Dianna Malone
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deviate by Mia Monroe is the best debut book of 2019! The book is about an intense love story about two straight guys that are best friends and eventually fall in love over time. This book is one of the best M/M books that I read in long time!

Love in the City (2 books)
  • Damage (Love in the City #2)