Start by marking “The Inn” as Want to Read:

The Inn

A gripping stand-alone novel from the world's bestselling thriller writer

Ex-Boston homicide detective Billy Robinson has retreated to a quiet life on the New England coast. Struggling to cope following the death of his beloved wife, he must now run the inn that Siobhan took care of so well.

The inn's quirky residents help keep Billy on solid ground as he grieves, and the gr
Published August 6th 2019 by CENTURY AUSTRALIA (first published August 5th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Inn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inn

Julie Garner
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thriller, arc
I received an ARC of this book.
Everyone who follows me knows that I am a fan of James Patterson and of Candice Fox. When they team up it is like the dream date for me. I don't know who does what in terms of the writing and the research but it really doesn't matter. They are the wonder duo in my mind and can't do anything wrong.
The Inn is a book full of new characters for this writing pair. Whilst the other books have been set in Oz, this one is set just outside of Boston. It is about an ex-cop w
Rosie
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the Harriet Blue series, but I will read everything these two ever write.

A little slow at the beginning, and a few things that were problematic, but overall a sound novel. I’m a little bit obsessed with Effie 🤷🏻♀
Natalie
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Jay Dwight

I have veered away from James Patterson books for quite a while now, but thought I'd read this one since a stand alone and co-written by one of my favourite local authors, Candice Fox.

A good attention holding storyline, and written in Patterson's fast paced style. Ex Boston PD detective Billy Robinson left the force after being fired, and has moved to a quieter life owing and managing a B&B on the New England Coast - The Inn. The Inn was his wife's dream, but now Billy is strugglin
Scott
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me be honest up front and share my disclaimer. I read most of James Patterson’s books and have for several years. Some might ask why and that’s another whole discussion best saved for another day. I have really enjoyed some, liked some, and didn’t really care for others. For the most part, I treat Patterson’s books like mind candy for the moment and don’t consider them to be too memorable for the most part.

“The Inn” is advertised as Patterson’s annual summer read that is independent from hi
Misty
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There was a time when each thing I read by James Patterson was better than the last—a time when I actually looked forward to his next book and marked upcoming publication dates on my calendar. Ah, those were the days. Recently, however, it seems as if Patterson is selling his name to the highest bidder in an effort to see himself on the cover of as many volumes as possible, quality be damned. The Inn is a prime example.

First, the style here is nothing like the Patterson of days gone by. Instead,
Ed
A 2019 thriller from the prolific James Patterson, co-authored by Australian prize winning author Candice Fox. Bill Robinson, a 20 year Boston PD veteran, is disgraced by actions initiated by his partner Malone. They are summarily discharged from the force. Robinson and his wife buy an inn on the Gloucester. She is killed by a hit and run driver. Two years later, this story starts. Cline, the drug dealer, is making his insidious presence felt and the inn's oddball tenants make a strangely effect ...more
Jacqueline
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, action
"My house is full of liars."

I read this over a long weekend when I wasn't feeling the best. Between painkiller induced naps I powered through this one. It wasn't the story line that kept me going but the characters. A group of socially awkward misfits all rent rooms at The Inn, a sort of hippie commune type of place where everyone chips in and takes care of the house and each other. At their center is Bill Robinson, the inns owner who reminded me strongly of Ted Conkaffey, another of Fox's chara
L.
Aug 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
2 1/2 stars, at the most!
The story line was okay but there were lots of weaknesses that should have been edited out. LOTS!
The main character, Bill Robinson, is an ex Boston police officer who is now the reluctant owner/operator of The Inn occupied by a group of misfits, each with something to hide.
At one point in the story Bill asks an ex mafia member how they handled turf invaders......really? Come on..........even I know how they did that! There is no way an ex police officer would have asked
Joan
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the wake of his wife’s death, Billy Robinson, once a Boston homicide detective, struggles to run the Gloucester, Massachusetts inn he and Siobhan opened together. The eccentric group of residents have become something like a family and, when a drug epidemic threatens their town, they rally to fight back. Will they succeed? Or will the heartless drug dealer who has invaded their town continue his reign of terror?

This stand-alone, with its cast of realistic characters struggling with the viciss
Timothy Moonlight
The Inn is full of believable characters who hold their own secrets while living there. It has several shocking turns which seem to steal the air out of you when you abruptly run into them. I enjoyed the quick bits of humor in this book and the metaphors are amazing!

It is a fast read, so fast in fact, that soon of the lines drawn around the characters aren't fully developed and explored, at least for some of them. The plot seems tired and stale, without a great deal of excitement. Don't get me
Malcolm Gregoire
First of all, I do like most of Patterson's works, because some sense of reality usually is embedded in the plot lines. However, I do find that the authors didn't do enough research about the fishing fleet at the port of Gloucester Massachusetts. There are no crab fisherman on the North Shore of Massachusetts. There are plenty of lobster boats and trawlers for cod and other varieties of flat fish but no crab boats. Snow crab are caught as far north as the Arctic Ocean, from Newfoundland to Green ...more
Debra Berding
Well, this was a very different James Patterson book. Usually I am hooked after reading the first page or at most the first chapter, but this one was very slow to start. I continued reading it because, well, James Patterson. I read the entire book in one day as his books are usually easy reads. It was pretty slow to start, but then the pace picked up, and about 2/3 of the way through, I couldn't put it down. I hope he doesn't continue this series though and concentrates instead on his other char ...more
Patricia Atkinson
the story is about bill robinson when he got fired with his partner from boston pd bill and his wife Siobhan purchased a bed and breakfast by the sea than 2 years later while walking home from the store she is hit and died so bill has to look after a teenager that was living with them and the other people who live in the house. when a drug distributor comes to town Mitchell cline it changes peoples lives and the bad drugs are killing people so bill and his friend nick decide to run him out of to ...more
Tammy
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting book. Malone and Bill Robinson were partners and cops in Boston before they were let go. Bill moved with his wife to the shore and the inn that they run. The residents pay their rent and Bill doesn't ask questions or get involved with them. They live a quiet life until Cline arrives in town and bring evil with him. He needs to be stopped and the team at the Inn led by Bill will try to rid their town of Cline. Very good one.
Robin
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bill is a widower and an inn keeper in Gloucester, MA. He is having trouble adjusting to the loss of his wife and not happy about having to run the inn. When he learns that drugs have arrived in his little town, he decides to fight the people behind the drugs. Patterson's trademark short chapters and lots of action are evident here, and many different characters keep the predictable but entertaining story moving.
Kay
I like this book! Didn't think I will read another Candice Fox - JP collaboration because I was felt so so with Harriet Blue Never Never, but I like The Inn. This book has a different feel and protagonist is likable. I read a kindle sample and was hooked from the first chapter before I got the audio book which didn't disappoint.
Michelle
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Some places are safe to begin with and some need to have the bad weeded out to be safe.The Inn started out as one persons dream and with a lot of love and care became home for many who needed it.Alot of protecting is involved when it comes to family and this one really bands together through death,multiple injuries, drug dealers,etc...to get to where they end up."I can hear the waves,"she said.One of nature's best musical scores.To live soo close you can hear it every day must be awesome.
Marcia
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One of the worst Patterson's I've read in a while--slow to get going, too many characters to keep track of and a fair storyline. Patterson should stop writing just outlines for his co-authors and start writing books again. This process to churn out a book a month is definitely leading to a loss in quality.
Barbara Bishop
James Patterson has been my favorite author for over 25 years, however, recently his books are letting me down. This book was definitely not his writing style. I was extremely disappointed and it seems like lately the only thing remotely James Patterson is his name on the cover. I need to find a new favorite author
Vi MacDonald
Last week bought what was to have been a new James patterson book for my mother. While reading each of the first 7 chapters of The Inn she knew & told me ahead what it was about. It must be a reissue book. Feel like I’ve been taken especially when Kobo charges $20 Very disappointed; books should be identified as reissued
Penny
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
This was an audible book. Quite a while ago I decided not to read any JP books unless he was the sole author but I broke that rule for this audio presentation...I shouldn’t have.
The narrator was quite good but the book so bad that I found myself laughing at some not meant to be funny passages.
Sort of a Hotel New Hampshire without the power of the pen.
Michael Magnan
Being from New England I was excited to get this book. However, after 3 hours of listening to the Audio book I turned it off, I had no clue what was going on. The Army vet with PTSD, the ex-cop that owns the Inn that can not handle the death of his wife, the recluse, the ex FBI agent, the drug king pin. And none of was making any sense.
Karen Proctor
Very predictable, not too imaginative. I kept reading as chapters were short and I didn’t have anything else to read. Was good for a beach read. I usually like James Patterson but this wasn’t one of the more interesting ones for me.
Michelle Hyter
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

One of his best! Found myself forcing myself to put it down so I wouldn't reach the end. Wonderful characters and plot, sadly I now have to wait for his next one. If you like James writing you will love this one.
Roberta
I read 285 pages and finally quit. I had a hard time telling which ones were the bad guys. The characters were so badly drawn. This is the first Patterson book I left unfinished. It was just terrible.
Autumn Chastain
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again another James Patterson book that I loved...an old police officer who now runs an inn where odd people stay..he has to defend his inn from a drug dealer who is out to get him and those who are staying...fast paced and great ending
Sherry Wessman
Terror and Suspense?! Please!

I sure wouldn't use those words! Terror and suspense. Read David Baldacci, or John Sanford, to name two. James Patterson, no! His books are good for for night reading. They help me fall asleep.
Holly Buderus
What is this drivel? I used to look forward to every Patterson novel and read each within days of release. No longer. This was a struggle from beginning to end. It started slowly and only picked up right before the end.
Jeanette Hurrelbrink
The Inn

This as an intriguing story. It was a little confusing at first. The Inn was filled with misfits who somehow become intertwined with a hard hearted drug dealer who was killing young people with power drugs.
« previous 1 3 next »
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo