Start by marking “The Jinni Key: A Little Mermaid Retelling” as Want to Read:
The Jinni Key: A Little Mermaid Retelling

The Jinni Key: A Little Mermaid Retelling

(The Stolen Kingdom)

She holds the key to his heart, and he wants it back.

When Arie reveals her Gift, she thinks the worst is over. But she couldn’t be more wrong. The only one who can save her now is a mermaid named Rena.

Rena is the youngest daughter of the Sea King, and she’s dreamed of the surface for years. But her first visit on her 16th birthday isn’t what she expects. She watches a
Published December 3rd 2019 by Grace House Press

To ask other readers questions about The Jinni Key, please sign up.
Bethany Atazadeh There are four books in this series. :)…moreThere are four books in this series. :) (less)
Bethany Atazadeh Yep it does! :) Arie is the main character for the series, but new characters will be introduced throughout the series too!…moreYep it does! :) Arie is the main character for the series, but new characters will be introduced throughout the series too! (less)

Start your review of The Jinni Key: A Little Mermaid Retelling
Bethany Atazadeh
Aug 26, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
The Jinni Key is a loose retelling of "The Little Mermaid" that follows Arie’s story in a surprising direction. It’s the second book in a four-book series of fantasy retellings, all based in the same world.

Title: The Jinni Key
Genre: YA Fantasy Retelling
Series: Book 2 of 4

ABOUT THE BOOK:
She holds the key to his heart, and he wants it back.

Rena
Rachael
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bethany Atazadeh's writing talent grew with book 2 in The Stolen Kingdom series, THE JINNI KEY. There was very little that I predicted, when there was a moment of loss I truly felt it, and I loved the unique spins she placed on the well-known THE LITTLE MERMAID tale. THE JINNI KEY is a very loosely-based retelling of THE LITTLE MERMAID, with the only similarity being that there's a mermaid who longs to be on land with the man she loves. I found a lot of the choices that Bethany made to be very ...more
Lissyiszy
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was excited to read this Little Mermaid retelling! I've always enjoyed the Disney version of The Little Mermaid, but Bethany's "loose" retelling is roughly akin to the original fairy tale which is a little darker and the end isn't as happy (Bethany's version is a HEA for the most part ^_~). While Rena probably looks more like Ariel with the red hair, her personality is more developed than Ariel's.

Rena can be tough to love at first but I didn't have a problem with her because I understood why
Mandi Lynn
Aug 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review to come!!! ...more
Katelyn Spedden
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this novel from the author!
Ok to start off with I LOVED the Stolen Kingdom so I was really excited for this book and I preordered it the moment I finished book one and I was NOT disappointed. Bethany Atazadeh weaves such a wonderful story and you really do find yourself so invested in all of the characters. I couldn't even put the book down because I had to know what happened with Rena. These are the kind of retellings that I love because while the base story is weaved in
Janine
Once again, Bethany Atazadeh takes some risks with this Little Mermaid retelling and mixes in a lot of original story and world elements, along with engaging characters to make it an intriguing and magical read that I was sad to see end.

This installment in the Stolen Kingdom series stars Rena, a mermaid that has fallen in love with a Jinni, Gideon, and throughout the next year, falls in love via her visions through her enchanted key, the Jinni Key, which targets one’s desires. (view spoiler)
Francesca
I was introduced to this author through a subscription box and I cannot be more grateful! I fell in love with the first book in this series, The Stolen Kingdom, which is a loose retelling of Aladdin. The Jinni Key is the second book in a 4 book series and it’s a loose retelling of The Little Mermaid but picks up where Stolen Kingdom left off.

We get to see how our favorite characters are doing in this book and get to know Rena quite a bit better. I preordered this as soon as I finished reading
Sarah Sutton
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I went into this story super excited to find out more about Rena and Arie, and I was left unable to wait for the next book! I seriously read this book in one sitting (which left everything aching, but so worth it!). I absolutely loved The Stolen Kingdom, and book two did not disappoint. The Jinni Key’s world-building was actually one of my favorites, so complex and detailed and very fun. The characters were all easy to connect with too, with funny wits and realistic feelings. I was especially ...more
Aminata Coote
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bethany knocked this one out of the park! After reading The Stolen Kingdom, I was excited to read the second installment in the series and it was fantastic. This was not what I expected.

I was frustrated and agitated by the characters (especially Rena) and there were times I had to put the book down and walk away but I couldn’t stay away.

I was totally invested in the characters and wanted to see what would happen next...and now I'm waiting anxiously for book 3...
Nichole (bookmom4ever)
Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC from the author.
4.5 Stars
I loved the first book Stolen Kingdom and couldn't wait to read the next installment. I was thrilled to get an ARC copy and read it quickly. The book starts with some background on Rena and how she met Gideon. It then jumps right back into continuing the story from the first book. The stories are well connected and I still love Arie and Kadin. It was a fun, and wonderful story. I loved the Little Mermaid as I kid and was happy to see how great this
Kaylee White
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'd honestly give this book 4.5 stars. It was a good story and I loved finding out what happens next. I'm excited and am definitely going to read the third book. Captivating story. I had an issue with the main character though. She just rubbed me the wrong way. Not that there was anything the author did wrong, it just wasn't a personality I connect with. The character had some good growth throughout the book and by the end of it, I didn't hate her as much as I did when the story first started. ...more
Elira Barnes
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This story was a roller coaster of emotions for me!

I was gripped into Rena's story from the very start and was rooting for her to succeed in her mission.

I absolutely loved this take on the Little Mermaid and the concept of how our greatest desires can constantly change.

There is so much action going on in this book and as the story moved on, the stakes kept getting higher and higher - I couldn't put it down (read it in a few hours) and I can't wait to read the next book in the series!
Andrea Roberts
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing second book! All of Bethany’s hard work paid off ten fold! I loved how all the relationships developed and all the animal moments. I especially love Rena and her quirky personality. She makes an amazing POV character.
Athena
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC REVIEW TO COME
Reagan Naujok
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own-it
The Jinni Key is the second book in the Stolen Kingdom series and it is a very very loose retelling of the little mermaid. Rena, the Ariel of this story, had saved a jinni from drowning when he fell out of the sky and she has fallen in love with him and she will do anything to prove that love to herself and her family.

After I got the first book in the series through once upon a book club, I was extremely excited to read this sequel. I’m just as excited to read the third book and the forth when
Tristan Munoz
Dec 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you had to give up a major part of yourself for love, would you do it? This is a decision Rena is faced with in The Jinni Key. On her 16th birthday, Rena spends a day above water and witnesses a Jinni fall from the sky. A year later, she trades her fin for legs as she searches for her love. The rest of the book is a fast paced story of exciting adventures and love - making this book one that is difficult to put down!

At the end of The Stolen Kingdom (Book 1 in the Stolen Kingdom Series - a
Kimberlee Lamendola
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
I liked this, the second book in the series, as well as the first. I might even have liked it better because there didn’t need to be any world building in it. I do think the end was rushed a little bit in comparison to other parts of the book. Suddenly it just kind of ended. But it was a quick, easy, and enjoyable read and the covers of this series are stunning. I will definitely keep reading the series.
Breny
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
.I finished reading The Jinny Key this morning, and wow. WOWWwwww. @authorbethanyatazadeh , all your books just keep getting better! I love them! I love how in TJK you could feel the Little Mermaid vibe even though the plot is quite original! Totally lived for the plot twists and characters! Ahhh!!!! In the beginning I just wanted for a certain character to disappear, but now fisndkgognsid I FREAKING LOVE HIM!!!!!! (B ) .I also like how the story of The Stolen Kingdom continues through Rena’s ...more
Heather Kirchhoff
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Jinni Key is amazing!

I really enjoyed this loose Little Mermaid retelling. I had no idea what to expect. Bethany did a great job weaving the storyline from The Stolen Kingdom with this one. I can’t wait to see what happens next!
Hannah Mulholland
Jennifer Roberts
Dec 05, 2019
Stephanie Holmes
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this lose retelling of the little mermaid. I actually watched the movie a few weeks ago. I like how in the book Rena was blunt and honest. The undersea world building was done amazingly.
I liked seeing Arie and Kadin's story continue. The pacing of the book was good, and it was hard for me to put down.
Jerome
Bayley
Jul 22, 2019

• Suggested Reading
  • Today We Go Home
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Cursebreakers, #1)
  • A Pizza My Heart (Slice #1)
  • The Long Flight Home
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • Here to Stay
  • Goddess of the Night
  • Listen to Your Heart
  • Seeker (Keeper Duology #2)
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Girls of July
  • Queen of Swords and Silence (Ghost Walker Chronicles, #1)
  • The Fountains of Silence
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
Bethany Atazadeh is a Minnesota-based author of YA novels and non-fiction. She graduated from Northwestern College in 2008 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English with a writing emphasis. After graduation, she pursued songwriting, recording, and performing with her band, and writing was no longer a priority. But in 2016, she was inspired by the NaNoWriMo challenge to write a novel in 30 days, ...more

The Stolen Kingdom (3 books)
  • The Stolen Kingdom: An Aladdin Retelling