Start by marking “Two Can Keep a Secret” as Want to Read:
Two Can Keep a Secret

Two Can Keep a Secret

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  27,445 ratings  ·  4,709 reviews
Echo Ridge is small-town America. Ellery's never been there, but she's heard all about it. Her aunt went missing there at age seventeen. And only five years ago, a homecoming queen put the town on the map when she was killed. Now Ellery has to move there to live with a grandmother she barely knows.

The town is picture-perfect, but it's hiding secrets. And before school even
Published January 10th 2019 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published January 8th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Two Can Keep a Secret, please sign up.
Tania [TheBookwormMummy] The original quote the title is based on (and the theme song for Pretty Little Liars) is "Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead," by…moreThe original quote the title is based on (and the theme song for Pretty Little Liars) is "Three may keep a secret, if two of them are dead," by Benjamin Franklin. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Kristia Seabolt
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  27,445 ratings  ·  4,709 reviews

Start your review of Two Can Keep a Secret
Chaima ✨ شيماء
What'd I do today? Oh you know, just isolated myself and sat on my bed staring sulkily at the wall because existing in general is unbearable when one of your most anticipated releases disappoints you!

I can't believe I'm saying this but I think Colleen Hoover's Verity put me in a permanent slump and now I guess I can't enjoy thrillers anymore unless they were written by her!
Karen McManus
Apr 16, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Can confirm that this book does, in fact, exist.
Chelsea Humphrey
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dennis
"If I believed in omens, this would be a bad one."

This is a difficult review to write, as I was so taken with McManus's debut last year, but as an adult reader I didn't feel her sophomore effort lived up to the hype I had created in my head. Obviously this is no one's fault but my own, and as a novel for YA readers I think it will be well received as it still gives off a similar vibe as One Of Us Is Lying, although I found this one to be much slower paced and less twisty than her previous work.
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This was a mediocre YA mystery. No real complaints about it but I can't say it kept me on my toes or that I didn't see the twists coming.

I listened to it as an audiobook which probably helped.

The only thing is that the main character is called Ellery and that sounds exactly like Hellery - what I've been calling celery because I hate it with a passion... Not sure how I feel about that.
Sabaa Tahir
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS SO GOOD OMG. My review would just be endless fangirling, so I'll keep it short and say that Karen McManus is a plot twist genius and you must read this one.
Emma Giordano
3.5 Stars! This was a fair and enjoyable read.I have no intentions of picking up One Of Us Is Lying, but I decided to give Two Can Keep A Secret a chance. It was not the most notable young adult thriller on the market, but I enjoyed my time reading.

CW: murder, grief, talk of substance abuse, statutory rape

If any other readers happen to be confused if they must read Karen M. McManus’s first novel to understand her second (as I initially was), you don’t! They’re totally separate stories. As I
jessica
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the saying goes that ‘two can keep a secret if one of them is dead,’ but what isnt mentioned is that secrets like to be shared. its in their very nature and karen mcmanus definitely understands that. this book is full of secrets just dying to get out!

and whilst i didnt think this was quite as good as ‘one of us is lying,’ it definitely does not feel like a sophomore slump of a novel. its fast-paced, clever, and downright mysterious. i actually didnt find this to be predicable, which is the case
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
4 I Didn't See That Coming Stars

Ellery and her twin brother arrive at their mother's hometown of Echo Ridge in a hail storm to discover a body on the road - a local high school teacher victim of a hit and run. That welcome was merely the beginning. The twins quickly find their new home is seeped in secrets, disappearing girls and murder. It all began with the disappearance of their mother's twin sister on Homecoming Night. Her disappearance may have remained unsolved but its effects ran deep
C.G. Drews
Ok so this was EXCELLENT and exactly what I want a thriller to be! Usually I'm tentative about thrillers and One of Us Is Lying, while I admire it for being super-famous, it didn't click so much for me. However this one?! Miiiiine. It had the small town vibes, an autumn-y Halloween aesthetic, siblings dynamics, took time to develop the characters, and it had muuuuurder. Obviously. It is literally a murder mystery. But someone must be Captain McObvious here and I volunteer.

anyway.

I really cared
Larry H
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

With Two Can Keep a Secret , her follow-up to the excellent One of Us is Lying (see my review), Karen M. McManus proves she's not a flash-in-the-pan talent, but rather a pretty terrific storyteller, one who is tremendously skilled at depicting the complex behaviors of teenagers, and the mysteries that unfold in front of our eyes.

Ellery and her twin brother Ezra have to leave their California home and move to Echo Ridge, a small town in Vermont, and live with their maternal
megs_bookrack
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
QUESTION:

Did I just read this book in June?

ANSWER:

QUESTION:

Am I heavily considering reading this again in October?

ANSWER:

**4.5-stars**

O.M.G.

I don't think I have ever been that chilled by a final line.
Well played, McManus.

I seriously don't even feel like I can review this.

Just know, she good and she has hella Autumnal vibes. A great one to pick up this September/October!

Get it on your Spooktober list, y'all.

Charlotte May
All of Fright Farm's success is based on how much people love to be scared in a controlled environment. There's something deeply satisfying about confronting a monster and escaping unscathed. Real monsters aren't anything like that. They don't let go."

3.5

I did enjoy Karen McManus' second novel, but it didn't blow me away as much as One of Us is Lying did.

Ellery and Ezra have moved to their mother's home town of Echo Ridge with their grandmother, while their mum is in rehab. Echo Ridge is
Gwen
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's the thing: I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of YA thrillers as an overall genre, but there's something about Karen McManus's work that pulls me in and keeps me frantically flipping pages until the end. Definitely part of it is the characters, who are given just as much weight as the plot. But there's also how the overall tone strikes an uncanny balance between dark and light, seriousness and levity, respect and irreverence, that is so exactly the teenage way.

Also: while I loved Ellery
Lola
Overall, I found this much less eye-roll-worthy than ONE OF US IS LYING. The author still is too much in love with stereotypes… I mean, homecoming queens dying? Please. But I felt more engaged somehow with only two narrators, a boy and a girl (Ellery and Malcolm), love interests to each other and both involving themselves in the mystery case(s). Both are likeable and smart(ish) leads. Actually, anything I say about one of them basically immediately applies to the other because, frankly, they ...more
chan ☆
Oct 12, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
but will this one not use mental health as a plot twist? stay tuned
Matthew
This book has fallen victim to the “Loved the last book so I had high expectations” syndrome. I thought One of Us Is Lying was great, Two Can Keep a Secret was just okay.

I expect these books to be cheesy – but this one was maybe too cheesy.

The dialogue and the characters once again reminded me of a CW TV show. The blurb on the book does mention Riverdale and during the book one of the characters even mentions all the male actors on the CW. I think all of this combined felt like, “Look at me! I
Carol (Bookaria)
Last year, I read ONE OF US IS LYING and loved it. It was a YA mystery/thriller by this author, so when I learned she was publishing a new book, I placed a hold on the library right away.

This is a YA thriller/mystery that takes place in the small town of Echo Ridge. The main narrator is Ellery, a high schooler who recently moved with her twin brother into their grandmother's house while their mom attends a rehab center for a few months.

Right from the start there's trouble, as Ellery and her
Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

Every single time I read the title of this book I had the PLL theme song running through my head.

Gotta say, McManus's sophmore novel knocked it out of the park! She is a officially an author I will be revisiting again and again in the future. If only she would write faster......

TCKAS is about twins Ellery and Ezra who move in with their grandmother after their mother goes into a care facility. Before they were born, their aunt had gone missing, about 5-6 years before another girl went
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Not as good as One of Us is Lying, but super fast paced and engaging plot. I've guessed the ending this time, but still enjoyed it a lot. Tbh 3.5 rounded up to 4, as I think it's definitely a book more than 3 stars in this genre.
Would definitely read from McManus again.
✨ A ✨
When I finished One of Us Is Lying I immediately wanted to get my hands on Karen McManus's next book. I was hyped and my expectations were huge. Silly me. Maybe if I hadn't psyched myself up so much I wouldn't feel so severely disappointed as I do right now.

Ellery and her twin brother, Ezra, are sent to stay with their grandmother, in Echo Ridge, while their mom is in rehab for treatment. Ellery is curious about this town that their mother hardly speaks about. The town where her own twin sister
Jamie beauty_andthebook_
McManus does it again! Certainly no sophomore slump with Two Can Keep a Secret! I absolutely loved this story of a town with dark secrets that are seemingly resurfacing again. Twins Ezra and Ellery are staying with their Nana while their mother is doing a stint in rehab - however, they don’t know much about their mother’s hometown, where her twin sister was killed years before and when they move to the town and hear of other murders, they start asking questions, but what happens when they hear ...more
Sophia Triad
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mafia, thriller
Two can keep a secret...if one is dead.
i.e. Two alive people could never keep a secret

Another absolutely fantastic book by the author of "One of Us is Lying"!

This is another book that confirms the truthfulness of the following rule: “NEVER start a new book, when you go to bed". You may not get any sleep. If it is a mystery book highly anticipated to read, you know that you will love it and you most probably stay up all night trying to solve the mystery and find who is the murderer before the
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
alright, alright, alright.....

This may come as a slight surprise to some folks who already know that I DNFed McManus' previous book, One of Us Is Lying, but I'm going to give this one a rating of 4 stars.

All three of them look like the kind of teenagers you'd find on a CW show—too beautiful to read.

Literally, this whole quote encompasses everything I feel about this book. Think Riverdale, Pretty Little Liars, and even The Vampire Diaries. What do they have all in common? Pretty people in
Elli
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-release, 2019
While everyone in my class was sat doing resits, I was sat in the front row living my best life and reading this book.
my review :)
Nina
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, read-in-2018
*Thanks again to Penguin Random House for sending me an ARC of this book via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.*

Last Christmas, I read One Of Us Is Lying and I really enjoyed it, so I was very excited about getting an ARC of this book and thus being able to spend another Christmas reading one of Karen M. McManus's novels.

Just like Karen's first book, Two Can Keep a Secret was a very quick read and I really enjoyed it. I'm still absolutely in love with her writing style because she
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“You know what they say. When in Murderland . . .”

After practically crapping my pants over One Of Us Is Lying, I wanted this in my life as soon as I saw it on NetGalley . . . and was immediately denied my request, naturally. Luckily, I have the most awesome of libraries to provide a hook-up.

Two Can Keep A Secret is told from Ellery’s perspective. She and her twin brother Ezra have been relocated to their Granny’s house after their
Umut Reviews
Jan 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars. I think I can safely say I loved One Of Us Is Lying much more than this one. It was a 5 star read for me.
I also enjoyed reading Two Can Keep A Secret. I think McManus is a very good writer. She builds suspense very well and makes you read the book without being able to put it down.
However, this book was not flawless for me.
First of all, there was an obvious cue to the killer. Second, the simplicity of the first book was not in this one. I think she wanted to create a more
Trina (Between Chapters)
Hmm. I appreciate that I didn't predict the end at all, but... I just didn't really care? The ONE thing I liked about McManus's first book was her ability to keep me on the edge of my seat, and that's the reason I gave her another shot and picked this up. Unfortunately, this didn't capture that feeling for me at all. It's not bad and wasn't problematic like One of Us Is Lying was but I had no suspicions and felt no tension, build up, or investment. There's only one clue given and the 3 separate ...more
NZLisaM
If, like me, you are a fan of Kara Thomas then you will love Karen M. McManus.

description

Echo Ridge is a small town marred by tragedy.

1996 – High school senior Sarah Corcoran vanished while walking home from the library. She was never seen again.

2014 – Homecoming queen Lacey Kilduff, was found dead beneath the Ferris Wheel of the appropriately named Murderland Halloween Park. Her Killer was never caught.

2019 – Someone is targeting the girls elected to homecoming court – leaving threatening messages in
Dennis
Did you read There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins last year? If so, you just figured out the plot to Karen McManus' new young adult novel Two Can Keep a Secret .

If you loved Karen McManus' debut novel One of Us is Lying, like my obsessed self did, please go into this story with an open mind, or else you'll end up disappointing yourself like me at this very moment. The story takes place in a small Vermont town called Echo Ridge. Echo Ridge is very reminiscent of Riverdale,
Mrs. Ryan's 2nd P...: Book Review for Two Can Keep a Secret 1 13 Dec 03, 2019 05:43PM
Around the Year i...: Two Can Keep a Secret, by Karen M. McManus 2 13 Nov 24, 2019 06:14PM
Sarah Question *spoilers* 3 18 Oct 11, 2019 08:15AM
Book Review 1 2 Oct 06, 2019 11:45AM
*Spoilers* What happens to the killer... 1 11 Aug 30, 2019 08:54AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Two Can Keep a Secret By Karen M. McManus - Restarting August 7th 2019 76 113 Aug 18, 2019 10:00AM

• This Lie Will Kill You
  • The Cheerleaders
  • On the Come Up
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #1)
  • Sadie
  • Five Feet Apart
  • Opposite of Always
  • Lock Every Door
  • Truly Devious (Truly Devious, #1)
  • Broken Things
  • With the Fire on High
  • The Rest of the Story
  • You Owe Me a Murder
  • Girls with Sharp Sticks (Girls with Sharp Sticks, #1)
  • Internment
  • Wilder Girls
  • Little White Lies (Debutantes, #1)
Hi, and thanks for stopping by my Goodreads page! I don't visit this site often, so the best way to reach me is via my website at www.karenmcmanus.com, or on Twitter, where I'm @writerkmc.

------

Karen M. McManus is the author of the New York Times and international bestselling young adult novels One of Us Is Lying and Two Can Keep a Secret. Her work has been translated into 40 languages worldwide.
“Ezra watches them leave with a bemused expression, then turns to me. “I have a really strong feeling that on Wednesdays, they wear pink.” 18 likes
“When you come into the world with another person, they’re as much a part of you as your heartbeat.” 9 likes