Start by marking “Tidewater Dynasty: A Biographical Novel Of The Lees Of Stratford Hall” as Want to Read:
Tidewater Dynasty: A Biographical Novel Of The Lees Of Stratford Hall

Tidewater Dynasty: A Biographical Novel Of The Lees Of Stratford Hall

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
From Tom Lee to Robert E. Lee, who made the fateful decision to turn from the nation he loved to defend the state he loved more, the Lees of Virginia dominated both their local and our national landscape.
Published October 24th 1983 by Mariner Books (first published May 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Tidewater Dynasty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tidewater Dynasty

Amber
Oct 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think I learned more about the early history of America in this one book than I did in 11 years of American public education. Strangest of all, I was so enthralled I found myself sneaking chapters in the bathroom at work, just to find out what happened to all of the characters -- perhaps all the more because I knew that almost everything in this book actually happened and every event I was reading about had in some way shaped the world we live in today.

This book has been on my mom's shelf sinc
Ppackard
Apr 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book ticked off all of the milstones of the late 1700 as seen thur the eyss of the Lees. A great refresher in Virginia and US early history.

The dialogue keep me going as I was reminded we were just the poor folks up in the Shendandoah Valley!

I now need to go back to Stratford Hall and reading this book inspired me to visit Sully House (home of Richard Bland Lee) a real treasure on Rt 28 by Dullas Airport in northern VA.

Diane Lynn
Jan 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very interesting biographical novel about the Lee family of Virginia. Starts in 1861 for just a bit and then backtracks to tell the Lee story from 1718-1810. If you are interested in Virginia history and/or Robert E. Lee's ancestors, I think you would like this book. Does get repetitive and dry at times but I still enjoyed it.
jackie
Feb 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I lovee this for all the Virginia history and early American history. It gives a nice perspective on the colonies and their differences. The Lee's were an important and distinctive family which helped shape our nation.
Annah
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
As a "from-here" Westmoreland County resident, Roberts and Seely brought alive the old homes and roads that surround this area, opening my eyes to the role the Tidewater played in shaping American history. Well worth reading, and then taking a trip to the NNK to see first hand the area.
Shirley Brown
Jul 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful read. I learned more bout Robert E. Lee's family than I have in any other reading. His family certainly contributed much to the formation of this country.
Suzanne
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm sure the fact that I just returned from a trip to Washington DC made this book all the more enjoyable for me, but it was definitely an interesting read.
Kris
Mar 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
This was my first foray into historical fiction when I was in high school. I loved this book!
James Macduff