Start by marking “The Woman at Number 19” as Want to Read:
The Woman at Number 19

The Woman at Number 19

*** THIS SUMMER'S MUST-READ PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER ***

Esther lost her husband, Julian, and her children, Harriet and Dexter, in a car accident and is struggling with her grief.

Spurred on by her own loneliness and a need to make amends for not being able to save her own children, Esther takes it upon herself to watch the woman who lives at number 19.

But when unexplain

Published July 18th 2019 by Bloodhound Books (first published July 11th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Woman at Number 19, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman at Number 19

Linda Strong
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019

Esther is a sad, grief-stricken middle-aged woman who is grieving the loss of her husband and her two young children during a traffic accident. She also harbors a deep-seated hatred of her own sister who was also in the car. Sister survived, although she suffered significant injuries.

She has closed herself off from most everyone ...although there is a young woman who visits with her on a daily basis. Esther doesn't quite remember how they became friends, but she does appreciate the contact.

Burde
Adele Shea
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a cracker of a book that was!
From the beginning, right the way through to the last sentence it has you wanting more.
Fictionophile
Exceptional psychological thriller.
Full review to follow as part of the Bloodhound Books official blog tour on Thursday, July 18, 2019.
Terry  (TBC)
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esther has lost her husband and both children in a road traffic accident and she blames her sister for the accident believing that Charlotte was having an affair with her husband. Then Esther begins watching the woman at number 19, who she thinks is abusing her children.
Told from Esthers point of view it lets you see more into her world and what is going on around her.
There had to be more going on and yes there really was.
Dark and a good thriller
Amanda
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been a fan of J. A. Baker and her books for a while now. In fact ever since I was invited to take part in the blog tour for one of her previous books. I love the way she writes believable stories with a twist. Anyway, I read the synopsis for ‘The Woman At Number 19’ and it certainly sounded like just my kind of read. I couldn’t wait to start reading and having just finished the book, all I can think is ‘wow’. I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘The Woman At Number 19’ but more about that in a b ...more
Mary Snaddon
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Really good read. I read it all in one delicious sitting! I really needed to find out what was going on here! Sometimes in a book you coudn't really care about the characters but poor Esther is obviously a troubled soul, I need to find out she's going to be okay, right? Her husband and two children are dead as the result of a car crash. Esther's world has crashed too. She no longer cares about her appearance, has no friends apart from the lovely Amy and despises her sister Charlotte who she beli ...more
Susan Hunter
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was intrigued by this book title as I was curious as to what was happening at this woman's home. Well, that intrigue became full blown obsession. I thought so far through the book I had an idea of what was actually happening , because of reading other books by this author, part right, part wrong but it in no way detracted from the unfurling of this cleverly written plot. The range of emotions I went through reading this book went from one extreme to another. I just can't stop thinking about th ...more
Ellie Shepherd
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phenomenal, I have no words apart from, you really need to read this. Do you know who you are and who you can trust? If you think you do, then think again.
Each time I thought I could see where the story was going, I was way off. I read this in two sittings, which is rare for me. Just shows how fantastic this book really is.
I have a book hangover, nothing I feel like reading after this.
Brilliant!!
Anne wright
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Predictable . At least it was a quick read.
Dee Groocock
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esther is a 45 year old woman who lost her husband and 2 children in a car crash. Struggling with her grief, she feels alienated and has one friend, Amy. Esther loathes her sister, Charlotte as she believes Charlotte was having an affair with her husband, Julian. Esther is intrigued by the family over the road at number 19, she takes to watching them a lot. What is going on at number 19 and who is coming into Esthers house Uninvited?
A well written, well researched and clever story. I was convin
Lel Budge
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bloodhound
Oh my tattered and broken heart…….what a read!

Esther is a lonely, 45 year old woman. She lives alone after the death of her husband Julian, and her two children, Dexter and Harriet. Her grief has destroyed her, it’s broken her.

Amy, a young women, visits Esther and does little chores for her, but mainly has a cup of tea and a chat. She’s the only brightness in Esther’s world. She’s a nurse and is excited about her forthcoming wedding.

Esther is watching her neighbour across the street, the woman i
Misfits farm
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esther sits at her window and watches the world go by. From her mannerisms and self description you begin to think that she is an old lady however Esther is only 45. She has lost her husband and both children in a road traffic accident. Her sister Charlotte was also in the car with them and Esther blames her for the accident believing that Charlotte was having an affair with her husband. Esther keeps finding odd things around the house- torn up photographs of the children- something she wouldn’t ...more
Barbara Elsborg
It took so little time - just one line - very early on and I knew. I don't even want to say more than that because I would hate to spoil it for anyone. But a description of what she could see made no sense at all and I have to think that the author either meant to give that clue, or didn't notice it was impossible - though she did explain later -unsatisfactorily.
Anyway - it was a quick read and I did like it but I just wish I'd been able to stay unaware for longer.
Oh darn it - I'm going to put
Amy
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle-book
Wow, wow, wow.... had a hard time putting this one down. I NEEDED to know what was going on! Just as you think you're understanding, there's another twist... and then another. Really loved the ending!!
Nicola
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me a good few chapters to get into this book and at some point I considered putting the book down. I’m glad I didn’t. I persevered and really got into it. It’s was captivating and I found myself thinking ahead and thinking wrong lol. Recommended read.
Jessica
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up.

This was free on Amazon unlimited, was a relatively short read and I didn’t predict the ending so that’s enough for me.
Jeanine
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller, own-it
I was afraid this was going to be another book about a good drunk woman staring out a window.. Thankfully it was not, it was much, much more.
Sandra Guiney
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Deserves more than 5 stars

I couldn’t put this book down. One word .... amazing. It will not disappoint. Best book I’ve read since small hands.
Sue
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poor Esther is a troubled soul, tragedy having made her old before her time. I really felt for her throughout the book and felt sad at the end. A tale that stays with you, well-written and haunting.
Jill Burgin
Jul 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy, sick to your stomach read, the car accident you can’t stop looking at yet you read it and read it and read it until you are finished in three sittings. Now I can’t stop thinking about it.
Cecilia
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
I haven't even started this book on my Kindle yet and already I have an attitude. Yet another book that revolves around a mysterious car accident. Can't authors find other premises???

The lead character, Esther, has lost her husband and children in a terrible automobile accident and is convinced that her sister, who was also in the car, but survived, was having an affair with her husband. So Esther hates her sister and blames her for the tragedy.

So the story revolves around a women spending hou
M
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Zero nail-biting suspense. Pages of dreary internal monologue from an unreliable narrator

This is just another iteration of a storyline that has been written before. By the end of the prologue, the protagonist’s personality and psyche are clear, as is her life situation. Esther Nesbitt seems to be a whingy, pitiable, physically weaker older woman—I guessed over 65—but she’s middle-aged. At 20% Kindle mark, I came up with three possible storylines with several subplots.

I didn’t want to plough thr
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you ever wanted to get into the mind of a mentally ill person, this book will do it for you. Esther lost her husband and children in a car accident. She is then left to deal with this grief. The story centers around how she copes with this tragedy.

But the more you get into Esther's mind the more you see that things are not what they seem. As Esther loses her grip with reality we find her obsessed with the woman at number 19....and this obsession has control over her. The more I read the book
Anna Maria
Aug 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
Boring,boring, yawn!! I read the prologue that comes first. I started reading the story which seemed good at first, for those of us readers who are prolific psychological thrillers we can pick up on the story pretty quickly. I read it all, i kept nodding off with boredom. I knew the ending from the first paragraph. I bought this due to the good ratings. It was dreadful for me, a total waste of my time/money. I could not recommend this book.
Stacey
Aug 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book was truly NOT a psychological mystery at all but a study in mental illness. You can detect from the first two chapters where this book is headed. It was not original. It was not very well written. Completely predictable. There was so much inner monologue it made for an extremely drawn out and boring read. I was hoping it was get better as it went on but no such luck. Ending was completely predictable. So disappointing!
Livia
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Esther is a widow who lives in a house opposite No. 19 in Warum.Since losing her husband Julian and her two beautiful children Dexter and Hannah, Esther is a virtual recluse.Her only friend is Amy who works in a hospital.Esther believes there is something very wrong at No.19 and becomes obsessive about the family that lives there. When her sister Charlotte calls to visit her..she can't get her out of her home fast enough.Esther despises her with every breath in her bones.The more Esther studies ...more
Ruthi
Jul 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Quarter way into the book and I knew the entire story

The way the book is written, I just knew the entire story about quarter way into the book. It’s a story that’s been told time and time again.
Kate
Aug 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many people really liked this book. I figured it out right away so it wasn’t very thrilling for me. Most of the book was drawn out and the main character was literally in a brain damaged fog almost the entire time which for me, made it not entertaining to read.
Andrea Bolton
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book had so many twists and turns, until the very last page.
Jennifer Oslowski
Loved this! could...not....stop...reading! 5 stars!
Goodreads Librari...: Please merge books 3 13 Jul 15, 2019 01:47AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please Add Cover 4 16 Jul 09, 2019 03:05AM
Goodreads Librari...: Capitalisation in Title 2 16 Jun 28, 2019 02:41AM
J. A. Baker was born and brought up in the North East of England and Undercurrent was her debut novel, making it into the Top 100 on Amazon.

Her other books, Her Dark Retreat and The Other Mother, released in 2018 were Top 100 Bestsellers on Amazon, closely followed by Finding Eva, The Uninvited and The Cleansing which was released in April 2019.

The Woman at Number 19 is J. A. Baker's latest novel.