Start by marking “When You Were Mine” as Want to Read:
When You Were Mine

When You Were Mine

Life is a love song when you find the right notes

Maggie and Ibby make up a happy – if unconventional – family. After meeting at university, they now live in the village of Applecroft on the beautiful West Country coast.

Okay, so Ibby’s gay and prone to disastrous dates, while couples’ counsellor Maggie spends her days helping people with their relati
Kindle Edition
Published August 14th 2019 by Hera

To ask other readers questions about When You Were Mine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When You Were Mine

Start your review of When You Were Mine
Dash fan
5☆ Highly Recommend!

When You Were Mine is a Uplifting, Fun, Heart Warming Story of Family, Relationships, Secrets and plenty of Drama.

Maggie and Ibby and not your conventional couple. But they do have two things in common, they are bestest friends and they have a teenage daughter together.

Maggie is a sex therapist and struggling to find a man of her own.
Ibby is gay and on the look out for a man, but he has to fit in and accept Maggie and daughter Amelia.
Finitha Jose
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ok, I know what you are thinking. This is totally weird. A family of three where the father is gay, mother is . . . let's say. . . straight, and they have a daughter (created not by artificial means). And before you ask, no, they are not a couple. In my opinion this is weirder than 'I've Got Mail'. What puzzled me most was how it is possible (even in a fictional sense) for a gay man to have child. If you are bothered by this, please don't let this spoil your reading as all will be explained by t ...more
Berit☀️✨
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc
What an absolute gem! This was such a delightful story full of family, love, friendship, second chances, and forgiveness. The story starts off jumping between two seemingly separate stories. Maggie and Ibby are best friends and coparents to their teenage daughter Amelia. The two have been roommates since university, but never romanticly involved. Ibby is gay and Amelia is the product of a drunken one night stand. Jordan is a super famous drug using lead singer for one of the UK’s most famous ba ...more
Donna Maguire

I thought that this was a lovely story, it was a genuinely heart-warming story and I loved every page and the cover is perfect for the book!

The writing style was perfect and I loved the pace that the author used for the book. The characters were very well developed and they worked really well together.

The book covers everything from romance, family, friendship, second chances and love – and the book is perfectly set to deal with everything brilliantly in equal me
Vivien Brown
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four friends share a house at uni but one breaks away, falling into a life of drugs and meaningless sex and rock star fame. Fourteen years later and he's back, out of rehab, desperate and broken. Can they fix him? And will the past come back to wreck the lives they have made for themselves without him? A story of love and family and forgiveness. I enjoyed it.
Shalini
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute read, though a slow and confusing one to start with. A book on family and relationships where friendship and love mattered.

A different family of sorts where Ibby and Maggie brought up their daughter together even when they were not a couple. Ibby was gay. Entered Jordan, a blast from the past, who changed the equation. A rockstar who wrote a song and brought the paparazzi to their doorstep. Secrets were revealed and past came crashing down. Would they survive it all?

My first bo
ReadingGirlReviews (Gina)
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Not your typical family situation right?   Well, as of lately it's the norm, and I'm glad someone is writing books about it because a family is a family, no matter who makes it.   Ok, that being said.....

This is an absolute wonderful read about love, ambition, and second chances.  It's highly relatable regardless of the non-typical family and had tons of family issues and drama.  The strong topics are intertwined so well throughout the plot with such well written dialog and conversat
Norah Gibbons
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book to read through NetGalley in exchange for a fair review. When You Were Mine is the first book British author Mary Jane Baker has written under the pen name Lisa Swift. Magdalena Nightingale (Maggie) a couples counsellor and Aaron Ibbotson (Ibby) a journalist and bookseller and their daughter Amelia are a family, an unconventional family because Maggie and Ibby are not a couple in that Ibby is gay but they are raising their daughter Amelia together and to them famil ...more
Andi
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was really excited when I saw this book, knowing the author's work. I wasn't wrong to be excited, it was brilliant, lots of emotions coursing through it.
I loved the characters and the fact that one of the main characters was gay and it was celebrated throughout the story.
It was a real mismatch of characters in the story and it just worked, perfectly.

LOVED IT!
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

Oh my goodness. It’s been a while since I read a book in a day. I kept carrying my kindle with me into the kitchen to put the kettle on and prepare food. I had so many thoughts and theories while I was reading. I kept thinking “Is he?” “She’s...” “No”. I couldn’t stop reading I needed to know all the things.

I just completely loved this book and how these seemly completely different peoples lives were all connected and woven together. ...more
Sharon
Maggie and Ibby live with their 13 year old daughter, Amelia. They’re not a couple though in the traditional sense, with Amelia being the result of a drunken one night stand. The unconventional thing is that Ibby is gay, always has been always will be! But doing the right thing by Amelia, Ibby and Maggie decide to bring her up as a family. Life has been good for the last 13 years that is until a face from their past reappears. Rock star Jordan Nash succumbed to the rock and roll lifestyle many y ...more
Elaine
This is a lovely story of families, relationships, friendship and romance.

Fourteen years ago a group of students shared a house and became close friends. One of them left to seek fame and fortune as a rock star but the others remained friends and stayed in the area. Two of them, Maggie and Ibby, now own that house and are bringing up their much loved daughter, thirteen year old Amelia, there. Their relationship isn't a conventional one, though, as Ibby is actually gay . . .  and Magg
Katey Lovell
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, this book was a joy! Totally rooting for all of the characters in this story of families, fame and first-love. Humour lightens the heavier plot points and the writing is fast-paced. If you love women's fiction then I highly recommend this book!
Nicci
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
More like 4.5 stars...

When You Were Mine is a beautiful story of life, love and second chances.
This is a story about family, an unconventional but solid little family and their friends who are every bit as beloved. It's a story about losing yourself and finding yourself. A story about what makes a home and finding your home. It's a story about standing up for others and standing up for yourself. It's a story about acceptance and it is wonderfully written.
It was so easy to sink into this bo
Laura Nelson (Tangents and Tissues)
When You Were Mine by Lisa Swift

Headline Review: 5 stars – Is it possible to recapture what once was?

Life is full of ‘what ifs?’, isn’t it? I’m sure we’ve all made decisions that we’ve second guessed later on down the line. Did we do the right thing? What if we’d gone left instead of right?

*sighs*

*nods*

Yup, we’ve all been there!

Then there are our first loves. Do you ever wonder where they are now? Are they happy? Do they thi
Jenny C
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved loved loved this book, what an absolutely perfect summer holiday read! The characters in this book are so likeable and well crafted, you really feel invested in their journeys. On the surface this is a story based around family and the importance it has, but it explores heavier themes such as homophobia and drug addiction, without once becoming ‘too dark’. You can really feel the love between the characters and I honestly wanted the story to go on for longer just so I could read about them ...more
Karen
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jacqueline Allan
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book and evoked so many different emotions in myself. It was real and gritty and sensitive around gay families, alternate lifestyles and homophobia. Yet st its core it is a great love story.
Amanda
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the synopsis for 'When You Were Mine' and it certainly sounded like my kind of read. It's the first book written by Lisa Swift that I have had the pleasure of reading and reviewing. I couldn't wait to start reading and so I dived straight in. Oh my word, 'When You Were Mine' is certainly one heck of a fun read. I absolutely loved it but more about that in a bit.
I loved the characters of Ibby and Maggie and I took to them from the start. They have known each other for years and they
Tiffany Champion
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
great story.
loving characters
unique plot
Tracey
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really adored this story, it was so well written. The characters were a warm bunch who took me to their hearts. This is my first book by this author and I feel it won't be my last. I liked the cover too, a proper summer read
Julia
Jul 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC!

This book was so full of heart, it made my own want to burst from all the tender family moments it has. If you’re looking for a book where family takes center stage with the occasional secret here and there, this is it!

I’ll be honest and say though that I couldn’t get into this book at first. Things like why Other Max was even called Other Max confused the heck out of me, and I also had two problems with the book that made me wan
Emma Barnes
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So I have to start this review by saying that I absolutely loved this book! It's so well written and I loved everything to do with it. so let's start with the Characters, they were so well described that I wanted to visit Applecroft for a drink and a chat. I loved the (sometimes) complicated relationships between them all. I loved how they were also so very real. I mean the Marriage counsellor who isn't having sex is so relatable as well as the very lovely Ibby.

Another thing I loved was the fac
Ems. (afternoonbookery)
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review

We all know i love a sweet cosy romance, and on face value this ticks all the boxes, allbeit with a non conventional family, love is love and thats all that matters.

Told from two different perspectives essentially we meet Maggie, Ibby & their daughter Amelia. After a drunken fumble and a lifetime of friendship the pair had agreed to stick together for their daughter. Maggie is a relationship counsellor and excels at tackling other peoples relationships and sex l
Kelly
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first book from this author and I absolutely loved it.

This book is brimming with fantastic characters that I loved getting to know. Ibby. Maggie and Other Max have been friends since their student days and as the story progresses you get an insight into events that happened during that time that they no longer talk about.

I love the family dynamic between Maggie, Ibby & Amelia, Amelia is a typical teenager mood changes and all from one breath to the next and
Lisa
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ibby's is prone to dating disastrous men & Maggie spends her days solving others relationship problems whilst her own love life is in retirement. Together they are devoted to bring up their teenage daughter in a stable loving home. The result of a drunken night as students, when old secrets reveal themselves can they stay strong? Or will their past demons threaten their current quiet lives?

The warm and witty writing will have you hooked from the start! The quirky set-up of this u
Pam Robertson
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Families come in all shapes and sizes which this novel certainly illustrates. It tells a tale of what can endure over the years and in some cases whether it is ever too late for a second chance. I particularly enjoyed its lighter moments and Maggie turns out to be a warm and thoughtful character with a streak of self- awareness and a wry take on her work as a counsellor.

The joys of bringing up a teenager unite Iggy and Maggie and I particularly enjoyed the episodes which were centred around t
Deeksha
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This book took me by a bit of a surprise. Its my first time reading a book by this author and I was just completely sucked in ! The multiple point of views in the beginning might be a bit disorienting but you get used to it and even like it once you get to know the characters. I simply loved how every character was so well developed, not just the main characters. '

It's such a feel good light hearted book even when it speaks about some tough issues. I would have p
Rachel
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m not going to lie, the beginning started off confusing, but before succumbing to DNFing, I continued on, and actually grew to liking the characters. Every character—main and supporting— has a special, well-developed role. I also couldn’t help but echo a mental British accent as I read it.

Maggie, a 34-year old relationship counselor who isn’t in a relationship herself, and Ibby, her college gay best friend are a happy family with pre-teen daughter Amelia... until well, changes happ
Georgina
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately this one just wasn’t for me. I found the beginning really confusing, and it took me a while to understand who was who.

Sadly, from then on it just didn’t grip me, which really surprised me as this is normally the sort of book I’d love. I ended up skim reading most of it if I’m honest.

However, I can see that it is a nice enough book. There’s nothing offensive about it, it’s well written, the plot was good enough and the ending is neat, with everything wrapped up well. It

• A Question of Us
  • One Winter Morning
  • His Secret Family: An absolutely emotional page turner
  • Sunshine Over Bluebell Castle (Bluebell Castle #2)
  • The Accidental Life Swap
  • The Ingredients for Happiness
  • We Met in December
  • Christmas at Frozen Falls
  • When Polly Met Olly
  • The Secret Cove in Croatia (Romantic Escapes, Book 5)
Lisa Swift grew up in rural West Yorkshire, right in the heart of Brontë country... and she's still there. After graduating from Durham University with a degree in English Literature, she dallied with living in cities including London, Nottingham and Cambridge, but eventually came back with her own romantic hero in tow to her beloved Dales, where she first started telling stories about heroines wi ...more