Start by marking “Survive the Chaos (Small Town EMP #1)” as Want to Read:
Survive the Chaos (Small Town EMP #1)

Survive the Chaos

(Small Town EMP #1)

When the lights go out, anarchy reigns supreme.

After Austin Merryman’s wife died, he and his fourteen-year-old daughter left home to travel the country in an old RV. But the comfort and renewal they sought soon descends into chaos—even before the EMP hits.

When a message from an old college buddy leads Austin to a bridge in the middle of nowhere, he finds his friend—now
Published July 11th 2019

Start your review of Survive the Chaos (Small Town EMP #1)
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. If you follow my reviews, you may have noticed that I have been on a bit of an end of the world kick. Actually, I have been reading a lot of zombie apocalypse stories but I thought it was about time I mix things up a bit. This EMP story was a nice change and I really did enjoy myself.

Austin and his 14-year-old daughter, Savannah, live in an RV in a very rural area. Austin is a journalist who has a
Sandra "Jeanz"
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read other series and parts of series by this author so I admit I do look out for her new titles. When I saw this one and read the blurb I immediately knew I had to read it!
The book cover shows a rather desolate scenery with male and female figures on it. The colours used on the cover go with the post apocalyptic theme. Upon reading the book I personally think the male and female figures on the cover are Savannah and Malachi, it would be interesting to know who they author would say they
Mark Carnelley
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great start to what will be a gripping series. Realistic scenarios and characters come to life as a powerful new group, the New World Order, seek total world domination following their setting off EMP’s and wreaking havoc amongst the terrified survivors of civilisation left in ruins. Only a small group of these survivors have discovered the truth, led by Austin Merryman, injured in the search for his daughter who is later kidnapped by one of the NWO’s assassins, wanting a USB, given to Austin ...more
Pam Shelton-Anderson
I had been put off reading this author because of her EMP Lodge series which I could not finish, but I decided to give this a try. I'm clearly going to be an outlier in this review; oh well. First, this is called "Small Town EMP" but they are never actually really in a town and mostly are on the move. Unless Denver is the small town. Second, why did Austin just wait around for a few weeks to go find his daughter (yada yada injured) instead of having Amanda ride over to get her and bring her back ...more
Carolyn
I have to admit to being a huge post apocalypse fiction lover, but I've read some pretty bad ones so approach any new-to-me authors warily. I needn't have done so with Grace Hamilton's 'Survive the Chaos', this book had me hooked from the first page. It is well written, perfectly paced and doesn't resort to any of the standard post apocalyptic cliches, but instead comes up with a refreshingly new storyline.

I particularly like that it doesn't start with a lengthy scene setting information dump,
Tasha
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*An honest review for receiving this ebook through Netgalley*

A nice read of post apocalypse turmoil, chaos, love, death and happiness.
When dad and journalist, Austin, agrees to meet an old friend to discuss a serious matter, the meeting falls apart. Austin gets in to trouble real fast. On a quest to return to his daughter, a huge apocalyptic event occurs. Now he will do whatever it takes to get back to her. Along the way both dad and daughter meet many people and fight for survival.
The flow of
Sandra "Jeanz"
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Holly (Texan Girl Reviews)
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The whole post-apocalyptic genre has to be one of my all-time favorites to read and this first book in the Small Town EMP series is just perfect for anyone who is curious about this genre!

The day starts out like just another day for Austin and his daughter, Savannah with Austin meeting an old friend at a bridge and Savannah going to a party with friends until the unthinkable happens. With Austin receiving a USB drive just as bullets fly from his friend that forces Austin to jump the bridge to
Thom
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing

A Simple Meeting. Family in Danger. Death in Pursuit. Gripping Drama. Not to be missed.

Strangers are brought together as the world falls apart. Danger follows Austin across a terrifying background of fear, panic and death as he tries to find his daughter. Rescued from certain death by Amanda, a country vet, the pair are pursued by a madman with an evil mission. They follow his daughter’s trail as civilization falls apart. Can they reach her in time? Will evil triumph?

Grace Hamilton weaves a

RJ
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Widowed father and daughter, Austin and Savannah Merryman, leisurely travel the country in an old RV. As the mysterious EMP strikes, Austin and Savannah are violently separated; forced into a frightening and dangerous race for safety across two states. Austin dives into a raging river after a meeting with an old friend turns deadly, and his NSA Agent friend is gunned down. Before he dies, the NSA man passes Austin a thumb drive with no chance for an explanation. Little more is made of the USB ...more
Rachel
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What an absolutely convincing worlds end read. The story hits the reader right in the solar plexus and steals their breath beyond the final paragraph. This book is a must read for any fan of apocalyptic storylines. The characters are familiar, as though they are people you know. The storyline is believable, conspiracy theorists believe this very concept could happen - is happening. The realism hits home and makes your imagination leap in a most alarming way.

With superb characters, stupendous
Katrina
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful start to a conspiracy theory series! Reminiscent of the television shows Dark Angel and Revolution, our main characters have to survive chaotic times after an EMP wipes out all known technology. The characters are fully developed and believable. The plot was exciting with a new twist at every turn of the page. I really can't wait to see what Ms. Hamilton comes up with next! I could barely put this down and often fell asleep well into the wee hours of the morning while still reading. ...more
Linda
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chaos and danger and religion (No spoilers)

The EMP hits. Father Austin and daughter Savannah are separated. Each knows to travel to Austin’s brother Ennis’s house in Colorado - roughly 1200 miles away.
Austin is carrying a secret. One that might be worth dying for.
As others have stated in their reviews, the timeline doesn’t add up. 1200 miles, on foot, in one month, after an EMP and after Austin is gravely injured.
It’s a good story. I enjoyed the twist of the two groups being pitted against
Ann Kilburn
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done-reviews-on
I was thoroughly immersed in this book and could not put it down. It has lots of action, a shadowy group of bad guys, hate filled survivors killing each other off, a very believable and intricate plot and interesting characters. I enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone that enjoys post-apocalyptic scenarios and a rich, powerful splinter governmental group trying to take over the world. I look forward to reading the next book in the series Survive The Aftermath.

I received a free copy of
Jeanne Richardson
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I've read several books written by Grace Hamilton; she has done a great job at writing a good book; she is becoming one of my favorite authors. I can’t wait to read more of books her books.

I loved the characters.

Wolfgirl18
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really like the way this book is going. To have your world end around you and then find out there is such evil out there has to be mind blowing. Fighting to get back to his only child and praying she is still alive when you get there. I am not a fan of the people the daughter is traveling with. They worked my nerves. Fight or die and they choose die. Crazy!! I'm looking forward to the next book.

Smiling_dragon
Sep 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: started-but-dnf
The story is so bad that I couldn’t even finish it.

As readers we are spoiled today because we have access to so many good writers. So, when a story comes along that has some serious flaws it’s hard to overlook them.

There are so many aspects that are important to writing a good story or a good series. But the fundamental aspect that each writer must be good at is telling a good story.

This story is a complete mess.
Tanya
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
he is asked to meet his friend in the middle of nowhere and he goes with his young daughter. He is given a job stick but before he can learn more gunshots ring out. why? Who wants them dead? an EMP boasts the world plugging it into darkness. Now he needs to find his daughter as well.as find a safe place. See if he can

Tina Bailey
Sep 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fan-freakin-tastic!

Absolutely love Hamilton's books! I have read a few and I get drawn in from the first page of the first book through the end of the series. Grace Hamilton knows her stuff! She has educated herself in the prepper life and it makes for intriguing storylines. I am so into the next book!
Scarolet Ellis
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Survive the Chaos by Grace Hamilton is an amazing story that I was able to read. This is book number one in this start to a n amazing brand new series that I am falling love with and just can not get enough of. I highly recommend this story to everyone who loves reading about Sci-Fi in their stories.

Sharon
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really like this author and think she does a brilliant job when writing dystopian books. This is the first book in a new series, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I’m looking forward to the rest of the series. If you enjoy dystopian/apocalyptic stories, then you need to read this author.

Pat Eroh
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Hamilton does the best post-apocalyptic stories that I have read. I am glad to see this is the first in a series so that means there are more. Her books are always so realistic and so intriguing and offer so much to what may someday be our world.

Olivia Rofrits
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great EMO read ever! Loved it! Started out slow picked rigth up with packed full of action. Only few day's even month after everything happen we have good guys and bad guy's. And people around going insane and making their own law's and at the same time the one's who started it all too!. Awesome start to a new series that means a lot to me.
Illustrious Illusions
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great start to a series from Grace Hamilton. Ms Hamilton has quickly become an auto buy for me although sometimes I have to wait until all the books in a series are out because I get so invested I don't want to wait to keep reading about the adventures!

This one starts out with common activity between a dad, Austin, and his 14 yr old daughter, Savannah. Things quickly take a turn for the worse as society starts to collapse with no power, satellites, cars, or anything normal. When Austin
Denice Langley
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished
Grace Hamilton is at the top of the list of disaster aftermath books. Her series have a great backstory and well developed characters that keep moving forward even though each step could take them to their deaths.
Billie Kretzschmar
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Savannah

The story starts around Savannah. A teenager showing an interest in Malachi. It quickly explodes into action. Really enjoyed this book. Of course, I love anything written by Grace Hamilton.
Val Shaw
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great new series!

I'm loving this new series! Has me reading when I should be doing other things though. It's edge of your seat mystery and suspense especially near the end! Love the characters like I do in all her books.
Sam
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great start to the new series Small Town EMP! Brilliant, love the characters, story line & ideas. Well written & a must for anyone that loves end of the world scenarios! I would recommend this book as it grabbed me from the start & I had trouble putting it down! Great read!
Christal Elerick
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hang on

Lots of good character building in this book. Lots of action and just a smidge of romantic hints to keep any reader turning the page
HOLLY CLAGHORN
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finished-reading
Great! Good thriller by Grace Hamilton.

• Instant Darkness: A Post Apocalyptic Survival Thriller (EMP Crisis Series Book 1)
  • All That Survives (Lone Survivor #2)
  • All That Remains (Lone Survivor #1)
  • Turmoil (Days of Want #3)
  • Turbulent (Days of Want #1)
  • Hunted (Days of Want #2)
  • All That Escapes (Lone Survivor #3)
  • Bear the Brunt (Nuclear Survival Saga #7; Nuclear Survival: Western Strength #1)
  • Uprising (Days of Want #4)
  • Prepper Mountain (The Bushwhackers, #1)
  • Minus America (Minus America #1)
  • Lights Out (Surviving the EMP #1)
  • Empty Cities (Minus America #2)
  • Trail of Misery (Apocalypse Trail Book 1)
  • Survival: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival series (Cloverdale Book 2)
  • Escape the Virus (Last Pandemic #1)
  • Shadow Warriors (The Bushwhackers, #2)
  • All That Rises (Lone Survivor #4)
Grace Hamilton is the prepper pen-name for a bad-ass, survivalist momma-bear of four kids, and wife to a wonderful husband. After being stuck in a mountain cabin for six days following a flash flood, she decided she never wanted to feel so powerless or have to send her kids to bed hungry again. Now she lives the prepper lifestyle and knows that if SHTF or TEOTWAWKI happens, she’ll be ready to help ...more

Small Town EMP (3 books)
  • Survive the Aftermath (Small Town EMP #2)
  • Survive the Conflict (Small Town EMP #3)