Start by marking “Future Tense Fiction: Stories of Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
Future Tense Fiction: Stories of Tomorrow

Future Tense Fiction: Stories of Tomorrow

Future Tense Fiction is a collection of electrifying original stories from a veritable who’s-who of authors working in speculative literature and science fiction today.

Featuring Carmen Maria Machado, Emily St. John Mandel, Charlie Jane Anders, Paolo Bacigalupi, Madeline Ashby, Mark Oshiro, Meg Elison, Maureen McHugh, Deji Bryce Olukotun, Hannu Rajaniemi, Annalee Newitz,
Published October 2nd 2019 by The Unnamed Press

Start your review of Future Tense Fiction: Stories of Tomorrow
Tracy
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I found this fascinating to read. I’ve never thought about how all of this push for smart homes could be used to harm someone. Thought provoking to say the least.
Cheryl
Mar 31, 2019 marked it as xx-dnf-skim-reference
I grew up in farm country. I know that this is real. Too much naive reliance on 'smart' supply webs is a bad idea, on any scale from using Alexa to control your furnace to the scenario in this story. Christopher Wharton's response agrees. But it's Anders' story that engages. I will def. look for more by the author. And meanwhile I will always make sure that I have some protein in the pantry and that I know where all the manual override switches are.
(Review applies to one story, which I read
Gail (The Knight Reader)
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am always delighted when something I read rekindles my love for a genre. Future Tense Fiction: Stories of Tomorrow reminded me why I will always be SFF/Spec Fiction girl. Curated by Future Tense (a partnership between Slate, New America and Arizona State University), the book is collection of short stories depicting the author’s view of a possible future given modern trends. With names like Okorafor, Machado, Ashby and Rajaniemi amongst others, I knew I was in for an epic ride. These GENIUSES ...more
Alexander Tas
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Read this review, and other Sci Fi/Fantasy reviews at The Quill to Live :

After reading Broken Stars earlier this year, I became somewhat enamored by the idea of short story collections. I love that they can be incredibly focused while allowing the reader some room to explore outside the story. So when offered the chance to read Future Tense Fiction, a collection of works from well known contemporary authors from Slate’s column of the same name, I jumped at the opportunity. I’m not going to talk
Wealhtheow
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Mason, Jolene, and all their other friends in the hyper-modern city of New Lincoln spend their days fine tuning apps and their free time hanging out in virtual reality spaces. But then the food supply chain to the city breaks down and everything starts to get messed up. Anders is so great at crafting characters and relationships that feel real and relatable, putting them in situations that are just a step more sf or magical than our own, and seeing what naturally develops from there.
Lillie
Nov 13, 2019 rated it liked it
a collection of sci-fi short stories

Very Good:

Stinkers:
The rest
Dan Trefethen
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book invites authors to explore “emerging technologies, public policy, and society” in short story form. As is typical with these kinds of invited near-future anthologies, the stories usually have a single 'hook' idea that the characters have to deal with. These can be quite interesting, but the plotline is usually pretty simple: Introduce character, introduce hook, complications ensue that illustrate ramifications of the hook, character(s) resolve (or not) the situation.

Some of the more
Ben Zimmerman
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really interesting science fiction anthology. This had a bunch of cool stories from some important contemporary sci-fi authors. It's a great collection of speculative fiction. I definitely recommend it.
Cecelia
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, short-stories
A collection of speculative fiction with focus on how technology will affect the future. Really enjoyable.
Neeuqdrazil
This was incredible, and dovetailed nicely with Behind Closed Doors, which I finished earlier this week.
Danyel
Apr 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: shorts
A really interesting exploration between technology and domestic violence. This story is very relevant as we consider how smart technology increases surveillance of vulnerable people.
Ellen
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: character, setting, story
Technology, domestic abuse and lots of questions.
Corey Halpin
Dec 02, 2019
Marco
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
An interesting investigation in fictional form of domestic violence in its various forms, gender power dynamics, and the role of technologies of aiding the perpetrators. The story is also captivating and notable.
I would also recommend the companion piece The Complicated Relationship Between Abuse and Tech: An expert on domestic violence and technology responds to Madeline Ashby's short story that Slate published, that provide some non fictional background of the role of technology in domestic
Peter Tillman
This one started out well, but became so illogical that I lost interest about halfway in: (view spoiler) I skimmed to the end, which is pretty silly too, imo. 2.2 stars, maybe. Hmph. Not recommended.
Sammy