Start by marking “Magister's Bane (Call of the Elements, #1)” as Want to Read:
Magister's Bane (Call of the Elements, #1)

Magister's Bane

(Call of the Elements #1)

Magic can’t be real, right? Tell that to the werewolf glaring at me with his near-black eyes or the handsome vampire in the corner.

Did I enjoy growing up rejected by everyone I encountered because of my physical abnormalities? Hell no! The only thing I ever wanted was to be accepted by someone. Not everyone, just anyone. A normal job and one solid meal a day would’ve been
Published August 13th 2019 (first published August 6th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Magister's Bane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magister's Bane

Start your review of Magister's Bane (Call of the Elements, #1)
Ellie Midwood
Sep 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“Magister’s Bane” was a superb story! From the very beginning, I “bonded” with AJ, the protagonist of the story, who was super likable and easy to root for. Despite everything that fate threw her way from the day of her birth, she remained a strong-willed, resilient young woman and I couldn’t help but admire this about her. Life has never been easy for AJ; constantly hiding her disfigurement under a scarf, she couldn’t even hold a job due to this. However, as soon as she was kidnapped by a myste ...more
Warren Dean
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Magister's Bane is a slick new urban fantasy from a master of the genre, Yvette Bostic. The style of her new book is slick, its plot is gripping, and the diverse cast of characters peopling its pages tend to jump out and grab you by the throat – well, the vampires will if you're not careful. So will the werewolves and shifters, if you let them, and even some of the mages might, if truth be told.

What's an unsuspecting reader to do then? Surely it can't be this dangerous to read a book
Sandra Jackson
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

AJ Johnson lacks confidence in herself and hides her disfigured appearance under a scarf. Barely surviving on her own after being fired a week earlier, AJ’s luck changes when a phone call promises new employment. After a quick and strange interview, she is hired and is to begin her new housekeeping position the following day.

When AJ arrives at her new post, she is ushered upstairs. Feeling unnerved, AJ soon realizes that she is in trouble when she is locked inside a room, a
Kayla Krantz
It’s not very often that I find myself connecting to a protagonist the way that I did AJ. In spite of the hardships that she endured over her life, she was a very likeable character. Even though she was often taunted for her appearance, she didn’t give up. When things began to change, getting both better and worse, she didn’t back down from the challenge. She took it all in stride, doing what she needed to do in order to get to the bottom of the mystery of her life.

There are plenty o
L. L. Thomsen
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Can this lady do nothing wrong? I absolutely loved the story and characters of this new series and with its twists and turns, unpredictable developments and deep plots, it promises to take you along on one heck of an adventure in the future books as well. There are thousands of vampire/werewolf/mages/witches books available but this one still manages to set its own standard which imo makes it stand shoulders above all but a few. If you want to get into urban fantasy, this book is where you shoul ...more
Anthony Kohler
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh, wow. What a wild ride. Nobody is quite what they seem, who you expect ... or even who you think they are. Very well-written, Magister’s Bane is a rollercoaster story that will pull you in and keep you engrossed from the first pages to the very end. Beyond, in fact, since the end is a cliffhangar on multiple points. I am eagerly awaiting the next book!
Jo Pilsworth
Aug 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Un-put-down-able, almost

If it were not for details such and sleeping, I would have finished this book in less than the four days it took me. I could really empathise with the heroine of this story, when she points out how much she has had to discover. As for the twist at the end, I did not see that one coming. Definitely adding the next book to my priority list.
Mrs Rachel
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great read

Interesting and surprising with unexpected twists and turns.
An unusual heroine with developing powers. Enough love interest to keep the story moving but no descriptive sex scenes. (Thank you!) Still enough mystery and unanswered questions for another book and one which I really want to read. Definitely worth five stars.
T.N. Traynor
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow can’t wait to read the next book

Wow I can’t wait to read the next in this series, I’ve not been able to put this book down, talk about a page turner 😊
All my favourite things: great likeable heroine handsome heroes and lots of magic and intrigue. Bring on book 2!
Martin Frowd
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yvette Bostic has done it again! The author of the "Light in the Darkness" series returns with a fresh and modern urban fantasy. Elemental mages, vampires, shapeshifters, jealousy, treachery and twists aplenty combine in this gripping tale. I didn't want to put it down, and I look forward to the rest of the series!
Trudie Collins
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I saw this book available for pre-order, I got very excited as I enjoyed all of this author’s other books. When I read what it was about, I was disappointed that it wasn’t another in her existing series as I love the characters so much. My disappointment vanished as soon as the book arrived on my kindle. I was hooked from the very start.
Great characters, great story. You are never really sure what is happening or who to really trust as you slowly learn about the paranormal world along
Lyssa Sue Shaffer
Sep 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Choppy

For me this was a rough read. There are points were the story leaps in time. At first you are synched with AJ then as things go beyond the introductory fight with the shifters then... I kept falling out of the story with a lurch checking the page numbers to see if I missed a chapter. Frustrating.
James
Oct 15, 2019
Cherry Mischievous
Oct 16, 2019

• No Woman's Land: a Holocaust novel
  • Auschwitz Syndrome: a Holocaust novel based on a true story (Women and the Holocaust Book 3)
  • Where Souls Entwine: Follow-Up to the Heart Won’t Let Go
  • The Hidden (Shadowed Wings #1)
  • Swing Shift: Book 2
  • Firstborn Academy: Shadow Trials
  • Like, Follow, Kill
  • Taming Demons for Beginners (The Guild Codex: Demonized #1)
  • The Curse of Time (The Cursed Watches,#1)
  • Found (Project: Adapt, #1)
  • Shadow Hunter (Rosie O'Grady's Paranormal Bar and Grill, #1)
  • The Wimbourne Twins (World of Kandar #1)
  • The Revenge Trail (The Trail Series Book 4)
  • The Lost Town Of Man’s Crossing
  • The Shadow Student (Wraithwood Academy #1)
  • Reecah's Flight: Epic Fantasy Series (Legends of the Lurker Book 1)
  • The Guide (Tor's Quest, #1)
  • The Vodka Trail
I love to read almost any genre. While the most popular authors continue to thoroughly entertain us, I've found some of my favorite series have come from new authors. My all-time favorite has to be Ben Hale's, Chronicles of Lumineia, along with all the side stories that go with it. A very close second is Michael Manning's, Mageborn Series. I've found several gems within the Collection Packages tha ...more