Start by marking “Silver” as Want to Read:

(Martin Scarsden #2)

For half a lifetime, journalist Martin Scarsden has run from his past. But now there is no escaping. He'd vowed never to return to his hometown, Port Silver, and its traumatic memories. But now his new partner, Mandy Blonde, has inherited an old house in the seaside town and Martin knows their chance of a new life together won't come again. Martin arrives to find his best ...more
Published October 1st 2019 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Silver, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silver

Liz Barnsley
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Anyone who follows my reviews at all will probably be aware that I was a massive fan of Scrublands, the first novel to feature disgraced journalist Martin Scarsden, so it was with some trepidation that I started Silver because you just never know if it will be a one off moment…

Well no. Silver is truly excellent, if anything even better now you have a real feeling for some of the players. The heat and drought of Scrublands has changed to more refreshing yet equally involving coastline
Mandy White
It is no secret that Scrublands by Chris Hammer was one of my favourite books from 2018. So when I found out that Martin Scarsden was coming back in a follow up book I was desperate to read it. There was a little bit of trepidation, hoping that it was not going to disappoint. And am very pleased to report that Silver is just as addictive and binge worthy as Scrublands.

Martin has been finishing his book on the events that went on in Riversend. Now the book is complete and he heads to
Pauline
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I really enjoyed Scrublands by Chris Hammer and was delighted to receive a copy of his new book Silver.
This is the second book featuring Martin Scarsden and his girlfriend Mandalay Blond. They move back to his home town Port Silver after Mandalay inherits a house.
From the moment he arrives everything goes wrong, starting with the murder of his old school friend.
Although Martin is not working as a reporter he had been asked by his friend's mother to investigate her son's death.
Debbie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Martin Scarsden is a journalist and a writer, who has been avoiding his past in his hometown of Port Silver most of his adult life. But when he meets a woman, Mandy Blonde, who has inherited a home in Port Silver, he makes the decision to return there with her.

But when Martin arrives home to meet Mandy, his childhood friend has been murdered and it seems that Mandy is a prime suspect. Though Martin has hung up his boots on journalism, he becomes involved in the case and his reporting skills com
Louise
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Lin Roberts
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
A bit too long. I ran out of patience half way through and I didn't feel strongly enough about any of the characters to keep reading. DNF
Amber
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I loved Scrublands but this one took a lot longer to get into and it didn't have the same romance element with martin and mandy...
Ben Hobson
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bloody fantastic. Chris spends a great deal of time investing in character - so much so the churning plot feels all the more tense. Other authors might rush through character stuff to get to the plot but Chris doesn’t - he knows the more we care about the people in the story, the richer the stakes. Awesome writing.
Ruth
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
He's done it. It's better than the first one! Chris Hammer has set a new standard for immersive, plot fuelled crime fiction. With so many characters and possible motives it's a race to see if you can solve the crime before the characters do. Chris is redefining 'page turner'.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Silver is the sequel to Chris Hammer’s superb debut Scrublands, featuring journalist Martin Scarsden.

“Port Silver, it’s ghosts sheltering from the iridescent sun, but awaiting him nevertheless. Port Silver. For pity’s sake, why had Mandy chosen this town, of all towns, his hometown, to restart their lives?”

With the shocking events in Riversend behind them, Martin and his girlfriend, Mandalay Blonde, have chosen to make a fresh start together in Port Silver, where Mandy ha
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
Bursting onto the scene in August 2018, Scrublands by Australian author Chris Hammer was a bestseller. I predicted it would go on to win awards and I was right. Now, seasoned journalist Martin Scarsden is back in the much hyped sequel Silver.

Martin has finished writing his book about the dramatic events at Riversend and moves with his girlfriend back to his hometown of Port Silver. No sooner does he arrive than his girlfriend is a suspect in the murder of an old school mate and the story begins.
Cass Moriarty
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
After being a journalist for 30 years, Chris Hammer’s second novel Scrublands took Australia by storm, and now he has released the sequel Silver (Allen and Unwin 2019). Although this crime story can be read as a stand-alone, readers of Scrublands will delight in the fact that Silver continues the story of journalist Martin Scarsden and his new girlfriend Mandalay Blonde. Mandy and her young son Liam were memorable characters in the previous book and it is gratifying to see their backstories and ...more
Jay Dwight
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chris Hammer shows Scrublands wasn't a one off, with this being an excellent follow up.

Martin Scarsden, after writing his book chronicling the event in Scrublands, follows his partner Mandalay Blonde to the coastal town of Port Silver. He hasn't told Mandy Port Silver is the town of his childhood, and returning forces Martin to confront the past he has been running from for most of his adult life. Almost immediately upon his return, one of Martin's school friends is found to have bee
Elaine Tomasso
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Headline for an advance copy of Silver, the second novel to feature Australian journalist Martin Scarsden.

Martin is moving back to his hometown of Port Silver to move in with his partner Mandalay Blonde who has inherited a house there. When he gets there he finds his childhood friend, Jasper, stabbed to death and a blood covered Mandalay cowering in the corner. Soon Mandy becomes the prime suspect and Martin has to fight to prove her innocence agai
Tony Nielsen
Sep 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Chris Hammer's "Scrublands" well and truly put him on the map as one of this generation's finest Australian crime writers. In "Silver" he has definitely raised the bar further.

This is the story of Martin Scarsden, a tired but noteworthy journalist with an International portfolio and reputation. Although he'd long ago vowed not to return to Port Silver because of the traumatic memories he had managed to lock away in a secure part of his brain. His new partner Mandy Blonde isn't initia
Mirelle
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Julie Garner
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime-thriller, arc
I received an ARC of this book.
Chris Hammer what have you done to me??? 563 pages read within 24 hours. I even turned the TV off to get an extra hour or two of reading in. I just had to finish.
Silver builds on two main characters created in Scrublands. Martin and Mandy, with young Liam, move to Port Silver. Where these two go, chaos follows. Within the first chapter there has been a murder and both Martin and Mandy are involved. Cue Detective Inspector Morris Montifore, followed clos
Karlee
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this second installment of the Martin Scarsden novels. It still amazes me how Hanmer can string so many stories together so expertly. Great read. Couldn't put it down.
Linda
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When you read a debut book and it is amazing you wonder if the subsequent book can be as good. Never fear in this case I can tell you Silver is every bit as good and the characters every bit as engaging as Scrublands.
Following on from the events in Scrublands, we find reporter Martin and Mandalay have moved to Port Silver, Martins hometown and one he vowed never to return too.
Mandalay (Mandy) has already settled there and the story starts with a memory from Martins childhood and the reason he
Nic
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
I hugely enjoyed Silver which revisits the main protagonist from Scrublands (albeit will work as a stand alone). The hook and twists aren’t the strongest but the story is incredibly well written and keeps you guessing all the way through. I generally enjoy a returning character and this was no exception. Scrublands was very plot driven and it’s Silver which really picks up Martin Scarsden’s back story. One issue for me is the length. At 563 it’s long! The author has previously written non-fictio ...more
Kate Downey
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Against expectations, or rather against the indications from the pace after the first few pages, I ended up not being able to put this one down. It did start a little unevenly and seemed to slow down but I think Hammer was building a deliberate sense in the reader of small town, small cheese events which all of a sudden blow up into a massively exciting and complex series of events. Hammer plays with our affections with the on/off switch between Mandy and Martin, creates a great deal of confusio ...more
Colin Pettitt
Sep 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Once again Chris Hammer delivers with another cracking story that beautifully captures the Australian scenery. In Silver he continues to develop and explore the characters we came to know in Scrublands, this time in the coastal town of Silver. As the mystery unravels itself so does Martin Scarsden, returning to the town of his youth to face his traumatic past and reconnect with the sense of place we all feel from our younger years. The pace starts slowly as Hammer carefully builds characters and ...more
Deborah
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Journalist Chris Hammer's Scrublands - featuring an investigative journalist looking into the seemingly incomprehensible mass shooting by a priest in a small Australian town - was one of my favourite novels of 2018.

It was (is) beautifully written. I still remember the opening paragraphs and pages and how well Hammer transplants we readers into the small town of Riversend.

I was reminded of that in the opening paragraphs and pages of his latest novel, Silver, as he does tha
Ellen
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
An exhilarating effort from Hammer, as a matryoshka of mysteries are neatly unfolded page by page. Like in 'Scrublands', there are some details which stretch the bounds of credulousness (not least the vague and tenuous binding of Martin to Mandy), but it's honestly all part of the fun.
Corinne Johnston
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was a bit wary of reading this as I was not a huge fan of Scrublands (too long, needed editing, too repetitious of climatic descriptions) but... I've just raced through Silver. I really enjoyed it, though the many strands of the story probably needed a slower read! I like Martin's character a lot more in this novel.
Book Case 71
I loved Scrublands. This one was fine... it felt like it took me a long time to read, and like Scrublands there is a lot going on, but this time I found it more confusing than intriguing. I told everyone I knew to read Scrublands, but won’t be doing the same this time around unfortunately.
Tim
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent book couldn't put it down. Chris Hammer is a master of storytelling.
Abby Nancarrow grimshaw
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just about read this book in one sitting. It was a slow read not as fast paced a the first book but was a good story.
Karen
Jul 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
4.5 stars. Proving he’s no one hit wonder, Chris Hammer follows up with another great book. His ability to create a town and residents that feel so real put him right up with the Aussie greats.
Lynda Walton
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silver

I enjoyed this book and the one before it Scrublands. It was a good mystery with lots of interesting characters.
Chris Hammer
Chris Hammer was a journalist for more than thirty years, dividing his career between covering Australian federal politics and international affairs. For many years he was a roving foreign correspondent for SBS TV's flagship current affairs program Dateline. He has reported from more than 30 countries on six continents. In Canberra, roles included chief political correspondent fo

Martin Scarsden (2 books)
  • Scrublands