Start by marking “Bursts of Fire (Addicted to Heaven, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bursts of Fire (Addicted to Heaven, #1)

Bursts of Fire

(Addicted to Heaven #1)

Publishers Lunch Buzz Books 2019 selection. Recommended by Publishers Weekly, Booklist, and Library Journal.

Bursts of Fire begins an epic political fantasy of revenge, addictions, and redemption for three magiel sisters in an empire where magic has become suspect and where love and loyalty—for one's lover, one's family, one's country—are tested. If Heaven desir
Published August 6th 2019 by Laksa Media Groups inc.

To ask other readers questions about Bursts of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bursts of Fire

K.S. Marsden
Feb 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
It's a terrible thing, to see no future; but a powerful magiel has to protect her daughters.
The three Falkyn magiel sisters, have to embrace their fate, to survive a mad king.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

After their mother is disturbed that no magiel has seen a future beyond the year, a sign that their peaceful existence will be destroyed: she sets about planning the escape of her three daughters. They will become powerful m
Max
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley
Where do I begin? This was a very good fantasy book. But besides fantasy - there was more. It was also about mental health and other problems. The characters were good, very believable. I always love stories about great sister power! Also some characters put a lot of faith in religion, and I always find that fascinating.

The book started off slow for me - it's an epic fantasy where a lot of the world the story takes place in needs to be established. I was never thinking about DNF, but it wasn't
Dianne
Their legacy was stolen from them, and now they must steal it back, but first they must learn to control the magic given to them in order to protect the Prayer Stone from destruction.

BURSTS OF FIRE by Susan Forest begins a journey into the world of epic fantasy and brutal wars waged in the name of convictions, beliefs and power. Everyone has a role to play as the battle lines are drawn, can the three sisters restore balance to the world they live in? What will it take to bring peace when ideologies clash? Who carriesdestruction.
BURSTS
Lauren Stoolfire
Aug 01, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
DNF @ 20%

The concept of this YA fantasy sounded so promising. Unfortunately, it just wasn't for me. I was honestly bored out of my mind. A big part is that I couldn't get interested in any of the characters and the slow pace.
Janet
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started slow for me but it's an epic fantasy where a lot of the world they story takes place needs to be established. I think the magic system could have been explained better but it didn't suck from the start. There was more, it had mental health and the characters were good, very believable. I always love stories with great sister power! I enjoyed the story and hope there's a sequel.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an eARC to read!
keikii Eats Books
To read more reviews in this series and others, check out my blog keikii eats books!

61 points, 3 stars.
Warning: depictions of self-harm, suicide attempts

Quote:
"But a wealthy country put greed above worship. An educated country questioned the divine right to rule. A country where men changed their stations became unstable."

Review:
Bursts of Fire showed a lot of promise from a rather new author. I read the description for the book and it stayed with me for days before I finally gave in and reques
Marta Cox
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, my-reviews
This turned out to be an amazing story in spite of hot mess at the beginning. Yes that's right I thought that initially the writing was terribly fractured as it jumped about giving multiple points of view which meant I had to read sentences again to work out which character the author or her editor had jumped to. Thankfully I persevered and got well and truly sucked into this amazing world although it didn't quite end the way I'd thought.
Essentially we have a society that worship several G
Calvin Park
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya
Bursts of Fire is an intriguing YA Fantasy read. In her debut novel Susan Forest tackles a number of important issues: addiction, self-harm, fear of change, abandonment, religious oppression. Each of these is dealt with in the larger context of war and who to trust. It’s a coming-of-age story that doesn’t pull any punches.

One of the things I really appreciated about Forest’s novel is the way it deals with some hard issues. This is not literary fantasy by any means, but it is guided by certain theme
Marzie
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc-net-galley
Bursts of Fire is the first book in a new trilogy, Addicted to Heaven and it would seem to have many elements I love in fantasy, in particular a strong bond between three sisters facing steep odds. However it also suffered from poor pacing, and what felt like an oddly developed plot. The Falkyn sisters, Meg, Janat, and Rennika are daughters of the imperial mage, or magiel, of Orumon, Talanda, and yet though their mother is a seer who sees a dark future or lack thereof ahead, she seems to do nothing to pre ...more
Judi S.
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book started out slowly, causing me to rethink reading it several times. Thank goodness I continued. and gave it a real chance!

The storyline is complex, which may be what made it slow going in the beginning. It was necessary to pay very close attention at all times to keep track of all the characters, all the timelines and all the various magics used. Not to mention the gods. However, once those thing fell into place the story became very engaging.

Watching these 3 girls, Meg, Ja
Meghan
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Laksa Media Groups in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

When receiving this book I did not know what to expect. They always say never judge a book by its cover and now I am starting to see why. I absolutely love this book for one reason, I share a name with one of the main heroines so that ALWAYS makes my reading better. I also loved this book because it reminded me of The Covenant
Angie Gaule
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was provided a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. This was a good book. I wanted to start off by saying that, because I don't know if I will finish the series. The story is great, but there are very few positive moments in it to break up the negatives. After the characters got over their attitude of looking for someone to take care of them, they became much more interesting and likable. There was an amazing amount of character development and the story is intricate and interes ...more
beautyguise
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good!

I will say this, for me it had a bit of a slow start. But it did end up picking up for me and I got to the point where I just didn't want to put it down. I love the three sisters. I found them to be so relatable and realistic. From the beginning of the book to the end of the book there is a lot of growth and I am here for it!

A great read for sure.

This is a Netgalley ARC review.
Crystal King
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Despite the slow slog at the beginning, I think that Bursts of Fire is a fantastic start to what I think will be a riveting series. Forest has developed a truly unique world with an interesting system of magic and gods. The squabbling, spoiled sisters start out as somewhat unlikeable characters but develop into their own over the course of the book as they navigate a world that is falling apart. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series!
Mary
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for a good story about sisterhood and this book really delivered. It was an added bonus that these sisters are magiels and are on the run from a mad king. I really appreciated the ending of this book and loved getting to see the characters grow and develop through the story. Excited for the next book!

** I received the ARC from netgalley in exchange for an honest review**
Ilona
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC of Bursts of Fire by Susan Forest. I’ve voluntarily read and reviewed this copy. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about Bursts of Fire. It’s a fantasy with a rich and complex world, wich I loved. But the story felt all over the place. There were perhaps too many elements which resulted in, at times, confusing storylines.

It also took me a while to get into the story but I did end up enjoying it. Bursts of Fir
Polina Ganeva
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, strong-world
Book thoughts in 300 words and 3 gifs

Three and half ‘Magiel’ stars 🐼🐼🐼🐼

‘Bursts of Fire’ is the first novel of Susan Forest’s series ‘Addicted to Heaven’ where she sets out to explore the complex world of addictions. Using a vast fantasy world as the backdrop, it makes for an interesting read with a unique premise.

The world is built beautifully, with descriptions scattered about the chapters, allowing the reader to put the jigsaw of that massive land of many kingdoms. The world was well-formed in the author’s head before she pgifs
Three
Marlene
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally published at Reading Reality

I signed up for this tour because, well, epic fantasy has always been one of my loves, and this book looked interesting. I’ll admit that the series title, Addicted to Heaven, gave me more than a bit of pause, but as it turns out, the heaven that people are addicted to is nothing like contemporary Western versions of heaven.

Bursts of Fire is very much a part of the epic fantasy tradition. There were times, in fact, when it felt like specific ep
Annarella
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing book, I was hooked after few pages and had to read it as fast as I could.
The world building was amazing, so complex and realistic.
I loved the plot, the well written cast of characters and the setting.
I look forward to reading other books by this author.
Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Amy TheOriginalBookishDragon
A gripping, political fantasy novel that I couldn't put down. I loved the Magiel's magic with their shifting skins and found their ability to move things through time intriguing. This book was incredibly unique and differs from anything I have previously read. I would recommend this book to any fantasy reader.

I received this title on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Suzanne
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved the world building in the novel. Interesting growth of the characters as they struggle to find their way through the war.
Amanda Bradburn
Jenny {So She Tries}
I made it 50% into Bursts of Fire before I ended up putting it down and not finishing.

The premise was so amazing. There's multiple kingdoms and each kingdom has a line of magiels. Each magiel can go into Heaven and get death tokens for their people. If you don't eat a death token before dying you're doomed to wander earth as a ghost.

There's two kinds of magic in the story; magiels and worldlings. Worldlings can do magic but it's with herbs and spells and such. Magiels don't necessar
Stephanie Ward
Aug 26, 2019 rated it liked it
'Bursts of Fire' is the first book in an exciting new young adult fantasy series that fans of the genre are sure to enjoy. There were several aspects that I really liked about the book and a few that didn't quite hit the mark. I'm going to break it down for simplicity:

Positives:

Characters - The characters were complex and well rounded, especially our three sisters - Meg, Janat and Rennika. They each had their own strengths and weaknesses and unique personalities to make t
Zulu
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has three heroines who start out as refugees from a war they have no idea was going to happen. I like that they all have different responses, all believable, and all sympathetic. Meg wants to fight back, Janat wants to put her head under the covers, and Rennika is traumatized and just wants to be safe. Forest does a really good job of showing how the sisters can all go through the same awful events and come out with very different goals.

I think the prologue is a little diff
Tasha Leigh
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
So, first off, look at this cover. It is so freaking gorgeous; I can’t even put I into words.

So, Bursts of Fire promises to be a good old fashioned fantasy novel full of plots and intrigue, but its so much more. The tale of three sisters who have been banished from their home for being the daughter of the local magiel (a magic user who can send their consciousness through time is about the best way to describe them) who is now being hunted by the King. They are initially accompanied by their Na
Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

Bursts of Fire by Susan Forest is a fantasy novel, the first part of the Addicted to Heaven series. This is Ms. Forest’s first book.

The Falkyn sisters find themselves out of their castle when their kingdom has been invaded. The princesses are heirs to the imperial magiel of the Kingdom of Orumon, or as they know her – Mom.

The role of the imperial magiel is to protect the kingdom’s people from the afterlife by using
KarenJo Custodio
Sep 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual Rating - 3.75 rounded to 4

Unique and imaginative, Bursts of Fire by Susan Forest is an entertaining and riveting fantasy story.

This book is an interesting and fun read, but I did struggle with it in the beginning. That being said, once the story picks up, I found myself really intrigued by story and the characters. Meg, Janat, and Rennika are complex and fantastic heroines and I enjoyed seeing them grow and mature in their own ways. The world building is magnificen
Justine H.
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I love this book because of in-depth description of its world and the complexity of the magic system. I have to admit that the first quarter of the book is slow. Many characters and kingdoms are introduced because of the conquest by one king over the other kingdoms, causing three sisters to flee from prosecution and fight for survival in a harsh war-torn kingdom.

But isn’t this what epic fantasy is about? A grand scale of event causing a chain of actions and reactions from the different characte
Trin
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lush epic fantasy with gripping descriptions and excellent worldbuilding. Though it has three young characters, it is more for adults and mature young adults. A slow beginning due to the number of characters, settings and complex magical systems, but if you enjoy multiple characters and point-of-views, delve right in and be part of the magical journey. And Ms. Forest also weaves in a number of important issues that are relevant with our times: addictions, mental illness, fanaticism, discrimina ...more
Susan Forest grew up in a family of mountaineers and skiers, and she loves adventure. She also loves the big ideas found in SF/F, and finds fast-paced adventure stories a great place to explore how individuals grapple with complex moral decisions. Bursts of Fire, first book in her Addicted to Heaven series (Aug. 2019, to be followed by Flights of Marigolds), confronts issues of addiction in an epi ...more
“You can't tell a questioner what you don't know.” 0 likes