Start by marking “Something Wicked This Way Comes” as Want to Read:
Something Wicked This Way Comes

Something Wicked This Way Comes

A workaholic teacher and a cranky blacksmith investigate a haunted orphanage in the remote Scottish Borders. What they find together might help them heal the wounds of their pasts… if they survive.

When the charity Leon works for inherits the orphanage, he travels north to see if the site is suitable for a new school. But Vainguard is a place of dark secrets, and Leon
Published October 29th 2019 by DSP Publications

To ask other readers questions about Something Wicked This Way Comes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Wicked This Way Comes

Start your review of Something Wicked This Way Comes
CrabbyPatty
It's hard to define this book - Ghost story? Yes. Horror? Absolutely. Paranormal? Yup. Contemporary M/M romance? Nicely done. Amy Rae Durreson layers a contemporary story of a man sent to the Scottish Border to assess an old orphanage for use as a children's school, and as he slowly learns of its horrific past and deaths in 1944, he also realizes the site has been a catalyse for evil for far longer. Durreson beautifully combines Celtic and older cultural legends and myths into a work that is ...more
Susan
Nov 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghosts, hurt-comfort, mm

I went from being confused, to being hesitant, to liking this, to not liking this, to liking this again. It was quite a rollercoaster. I did end up liking it, but there were some parts I liked less.

Leon is a teacher for a charity that works with children with behavioral issues. He himself was such a child until Felix, head of the school, took him in and fostered him.

When someone leaves an old school building of the institute to the charity, Leon gets sent out to Scotland to see if it
Meep
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Hard one to rate. I really enjoyed reading it though overall it didn't wow me. 3.5*

The intial set-up and relationship dynamic had strong echos of this author's A Frost of Cares (minus the epistolary aspect) which was an instant favourite of mine, all good - but unfortunately here it doesn't resonate. Possibly there's too much going on in the book.

Not sure I ever fully connected to the main character; Leon has a backstory but aspects of it felt skimmed over so I wasn't always clear on who
⚣Michaelle⚣
4.5 Stars

Oh wow. This book sucked me in at page one and made me neglect my Bingo reads...it was that good.

The setting was so vividly portrayed and I was legit scared at the beginning because we aren't clued in to the source of the haunting - or its origins - until more than half-way through...and it's the not knowing, IMHO, that really had my imagination in overdrive.

I loved Leon; he felt like such a well-rounded character. He wasn't perfect, as we see later in the story. He was trying, and had
MLE
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book fantastic ending

I love the atmosphere, and feel of this story. It felt grounded in the setting, and I really enjoyed how much history and folklore played into the supernatural parts of the story. The characters felt like real people, and the secondary cast was just a developed and nuanced as the main couple. The writing made me feel like I was there, and it was a hard book to put down, but it was the ending that made this book for me. I don't want to spoil anything, so I will only
Dieter Moitzi
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-book-reviews
I received an ARC from the author in exchange for an honest review.
This review has been originally posted at Gay Book Reviews - check it out!

Leon, in his middle thirties, lost his parents in a traumatizing car accident when he was six, has lived in several foster homes, and was finally brought up in a charity institution specialized in educating kids with anger management issues and other behavioural problems. He works now as a teacher for the very same institution together with his foster
Calathea
Excellent.
Ivy

Leon is a teacher who helps children with special needs. When his charity, sends him to the Scottish border to evaluate the orphanage they inherited, Leon is welcome by a broody blacksmith, Niall Forster. The old building is more than what Leon expected. A lot of dramas have been done there—a lot of children had been hurt. When another child disappears, Leon and Niall know that something wicked may come to them, but they don’t know how to defeat it.
Rennie
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars for this wonderfully creepy story. I loved Leon and Niall’s romance and I think the author found the perfect balance between the romantic elements and the scary suspense. What I enjoy most about the stories this author writes is the atmosphere she creates - I’m on edge the whole time I read her books and I wouldn’t have it any other way.
I Dream of Dragons and Unicorns
"Humans are strange creatures. We behave as if we're kings of the world, the ultimate predators, but put us alone in the dark and our instincts remind us what we really are when we lose the power to hurt others - weak, hairless mammals with brains too quick for our weak limbs. Prey."
Daniela Green
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok

I was so excited to read a new horror book by Ms Durreson, because her "A frost of cares" is one of my favorite horror book, I read it at least 4 times.
Unfortunately, this book was a huge disappointment for me.
Boring as hell. Pages and pages and pages of conversations between the two MCs that, let me say it loud, were boring as hell too. I would have cared about their relationship if they were two interesting characters. But this was not the case.
I understand that this story is about a real old
Zack Bel
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating this one was a little difficult. In the end the sheer, excessive gothicness of this book made me love it. I leaned towards a 4, because the romance disappointed in someways. It was good, I believed their love. It was a cute relationship. But no real spark. But the plot was so beautifully woven. Bringing together folklore, identity, and the way place shapes us all in a way that made it so achingly gothic. You could feel the gothic. Taste the gothic. It was incredibly satisfying for the ...more
Claire
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is probably the best book I’ve read in ages! The story was so well plotted, paced, the characters were amazing and the ending wasn’t rushed. It was truly one of the best books I’ve read. There is no on-page sex which really didn’t detract from this story at all. Well done!!
Tess
Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal
4 stars
J
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much! It was truly suspenseful, IMO, and I loved how everything came together in the end. I'll definitely read it again, even knowing the ending, in a year or so.
Anna Mladen
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I hope there will be more stories in this universe.
Nicky
Nov 17, 2019
Katie
Nov 10, 2019

• Tallowwood
  • The Mysterious and Amazing Blue Billings (Black and Blue #1)
  • Roots of Evil (Merrychurch Mysteries, #2)
  • The Guy in the Window
  • The Christmas Deal
  • Graveyard Shift (Not Dead Yet #3)
  • The Ghost of Ellwood (Ivy Grove, #1)
  • Butterbean and the Pretty Princess Make a Home
  • I Buried a Witch (Bedknobs and Broomsticks #2)
  • Taji from Beyond the Rings
  • Deosil (Whyborne & Griffin #11)
  • Rocket Science
  • Fish on a Bicycle (Fish Out of Water, #5)
  • Declination (Borealis Investigations, #3)
  • Hither, Page (Page & Sommers, #1)
  • Wolf Lost (The Wolves of Kismet #1)
  • The Dragon CEO's Assistant (Golden Kingdom, #2)
  • Straight as a Wheel: Smoke Valley MC (Sex & Mayhem, #11)
Amy Rae Durreson is a quiet Brit with a degree in early English literature, which she blames for her somewhat medieval approach to spelling, and at various times has been fluent in Latin, Old English, Ancient Greek, and Old Icelandic, though these days she mostly uses this knowledge to bore her students. Amy started her first novel a quarter of a century ago and has been scribbling away ever ...more