Start by marking “Wed By Proxy (Brides of Karadok #1)” as Want to Read:
Wed By Proxy (Brides of Karadok #1)

Wed By Proxy

(Brides of Karadok #1)

Thrice wedded, but never bedded, Mathilde Martindale has long lived in the shadow of her indomitable mother, and meekly done as she was told. Until one day she decides to become mistress of her own destiny and leave the royal court to find her own path.

Married by proxy, Lord Martindale has never even met his bride of three years. Wed as part of a peace treaty, he
Published July 7th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Wed By Proxy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wed By Proxy

Start your review of Wed By Proxy (Brides of Karadok #1)
Debbie DiFiore
Loved this story

This is another good story by Alice Coldbreath featuring a surly knight and a sweet heroine. She was married by Proxy four years ago and she got tired of waiting for him. So she dresses up like a boy and goes to save the knight!! And it's just so cute. The characters are enchanting and I just fell in love with the story. Even the bad guy is a nice guy which was really sad. There's also a heart wrenching scene when she thinks that he betrayed her. I felt bad for her and him. I
Irene Sim
I was drawn to this book by it's cover. Alice Coldbreath was an unknown author to me but after reading "Wed by Proxy" I intent on reading more of her books...

I loved the heroine of this book. Mathilde was suppressed by her mother all her life. I don't know what made her mother deem her fragile and incompetent in dealing with life on her own but the result is that Mathilde is 24 years old, twice a widow and currently 4 years married to a man she has never met. All the while having never left her
Somia
Aug 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 Pleased Stars

Happily, surprised by this, after some of the reviews I’d read, I was slightly nervous about purchasing this, but got to say my worry was for nothing, and I will be re-reading this at some point.

Mathilde (Mouse) Martindale, dressed as a boy, has snuck out of the Royal Court and away from her controlling mother, in order to seek out her husband, a man she has been married to for 4 years, but whom she has never seen. Her husband - Guy, Lord Martindale, has spent 4 years bitterly
Ira
4.75 stars.

The grovel is EPIC!
The story rather original too, especially how she’s end up married three times and go looking for the hubby number 3 .
Don’t worry, it’s not a spoiler, you will read it in chapter #1.

Yes, I enjoy this one very much!

I want to read Lenora’s story next!
Unfortunately I have to wait till winter, Ms. Coldbreath only publishes her books twice a year!

Oh well..
Debby "Piene Raven"
Alice Coldbreath is a new author to this reader. The story was well-written and intersting. I loved the originality of it and the boldness of the heroine to go get her man. Well worth the rating and looking forward to the second in the series.

5-Stars
Mara
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
I really like this author's and this book was no exception.
A bit sorry for the ending, I didn't think he deserved his pride destroyed (well maybe dented) and not really for her sake.
Aou
Of course it was silly but loved the fun, angst, sweetheart heroine with a backbone and possessive but jerk hero who groveled a lot (even his jerkness not from cruelty but stupidity)! That's why it's 4.45 a.m. here and I'm writing a review about the book I could not drop without reading all the pages!
Petra
Very enjoyable read.
I loved the original storyline. It grabbed me from the beginning to the end.
Our hero is a brooding man who is not interested in women and our heroine is sweet, quiet lady who is for once taking charge of her life. Her change into a hero has been treated so beautifully and gradually that at the high point of the story I literary clapped and cheered.

I loved the character of Old Helga and what she did. It reminded me of real life and how sometimes, misfortunes happen just so
BJ
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
10 stars for a book with a slight change of pace, as it continue the series into a new setting. The h built her courage with lots of self talk, it was very cute. The H is something of an idiot, but he's a smitten idiot from the first, made a mess of their relationship. His mess helped her become the woman she needed to be. Loved the glimpses of characters from previous books and can't wait for the next book/s.
Rose Maria
H31,h24
Loved the book....the story is as the blurb describes, I love it when the hero who is not expecting anyone to love him gets stuck with beautiful and shy heroine who loves him ......then happens some misunderstanding.... But all is well at the end
Elizabeth
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I spent all day reading this beautiful story as I couldn’t put it down!! The characters are fantastic, the story weaves around a hot sexy romantic misunderstanding, an adventure, a confused strong alpha male and a sweet determined heroine in the fabulous setting of Karadok which we are revisiting if you’ve read the other Alice Coldbreath Books, which I highly recommend, “The Vawdrey Brothers” series. Alice’s writing is reminiscent of Judith McNaught with a extra smidge of hotness and excitement. ...more
2.5 stars.

I'm sorry to say that I didn't like this one as much as the books of the Vawdrey series. I will put in the spoiler what bothered me, but let me first enumerate what I liked.

The engaging storytelling was back in full force. Something about Alice Coldbreath's writing just makes it so easy to read and enjoy. I appreciated the dual povs and the relationships between the h and all those around her. She was really such a dear. Unfortunately, I don't think that the H's background was
Ivelisse
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another winner! Loved Guy and Mathilde together. The grovel was epic, yes! Can't wait for the next one ...more
percy hoogeveen
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly Recommend

It was a pleasure returning to the world of Karadok! Thoroughly enjoyed Mathilde's change from "Mouse" to "Hero". Can't wait for the next in the series!
☽ Rhiannon ✭ Mistwalker ☾
I usually despise heroine-chases-hero stories, but this had some quality angst! Even if it did seem a bit manufactured (I am not entirely certain as to why Guy kept up pretenses, especially as his feelings changed. I know he was a suspicious woman-hater or whatever, but he walked right into that misunderstanding of his own accord). Good grovel too!
Rosheen
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like another reviewer I just dove in and read this lovely book. Very glad to finally read Matilda’s story, the mouse that roared :D. A few edit issues here and there however very very readable nothing that tossed you out of the read. Very well worth purchasing and reading. I’m very much looking forward to how the author handles book 3 in the series (yep getting ahead of my self).
Adia Al-rubayee
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
So very daring!!

Amazing, I’m a true stalker for ms Alice’s books and couldn’t wait for this series to start! And wow what an start! I’m so very satisfied and can’t recommend this book enough!
TP
Aug 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This was surprisingly humorous and entertaining. Although a bit boring at times.
Deepstrz
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this medivalesque book. The characters were charming and fun to read.
Peggy Miller
Long journey into night!

As always Alice you have given us another journey into the world of Karadok and it's fascinating and interesting people. You just sit back, relax and have a very good time visiting.
Jangler
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fun read

If your looking for a book with ani interesting storyline, what dialogue and good characterisation then this book is ideal.
The previous series and this new one are really fun to read. Looking forward to the next one in the series.tv
Persephone Zahariou
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Pretty decent story but I don't like the authors writing style. It drags. They talk and talk and talk about whatever.

I can't explain other than to say how I felt about the epilogue. Usually you get 2-3 pages in which the author shows the couple in their HEA: pregnancy, kids, travelling, problems solved. The epilogue in this book was endless. The H/h are talking and talking about... Aunt Suzan is in town and Uncle Bob is doing this and... I have no idea about what! I skimmed. And funny bit? I
Nessa
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
THE FIRST TIME IM READING FROM THIS AUTHOR AND GLADLY IT DIDN'T DISAPPOINT. IT HELD ELEMENTS THAT I ENJOY FROM A HR NOVEL, AND THE CHARACTERS WERE PLEASANT AND THE HEROINE WAS JUST ADORABLE IN A VERY NAIIVE BUT NOT ANNOYING WAY.

HERO has lost his side of the war and was forced to win his freedom from the cell by marrying a woman he has never met, immediately garnering his hatred. Four years later, there's a bang upon his door where two boys were dragged up to his home being accused for stealing
Peg Hughes
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant start to the new series

This is part of the same world as the superb Vawdrey Brothers series. Again a wonderful story. Poor Mathilda 'Mouse' Martindale finally escapes from the Royal Court and life under the thumb of her overbearing mother. She decided to make her proxy marriage to Lord Martindale a real one though she is utterly innocent and inexperienced in the ways of the world. Her husband doesn't believe her claim to be his wife but inspire of himself falls in love with her. I
Stephanie
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you Alice!!

I loved the Vawdrey brother's stories and was excited to see the new book available. Wed by Proxy delivers and is a fun read. The Hs in her books are flawed but devoted and come to their senses in the end. The hs come into their own strengths and shine brightly. Alice Coldbreath tells fun, unique stories about a fictional place and I find all her books very satisfying. Other authors I enjoy are Keira Montclair, Maya Banks and Paula Quinn. If you, too love their highlander novels
Nicole JeRee
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great story!

I really like it! I’ve been heavy into RH for the last couple years and so haven’t been reading much traditional romance. Historical romance is one of my favorite genres and this was like coming home.

The conflict wasn’t derived completely from lack of a conversation (they had it, he just didn’t believe her, for good reason.) She was believable and motivations all made sense. I loved him especially towards the end *le sigh
Linda T Waldron-Inman
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Are you a mouse or a lion?

This is a story of a quintessential wallflower from her mousey brown hair to her toes. Dominated by her battle are of a mother. She has been married off 3 times but held at her Mother's side. 3 things happen to wake this sleeping beauty . She escapes her Mother's domain in search of life, adventure and her husband in name only. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride!
Shelley
Sep 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Heart-throbbing and wonderfully entertaining tale, not to be missed.

Alice Coldbreath's "Wed By Proxy" book 1 of the Brides of Karadok series, brings us another exciting and delightfully entertaining love story as Mathilde strikes out on her journey to meet the husband (Guy Randal, Marquis of Martindale) she had been wed to four years earlier by proxy and begin a new life together as husband and wife. What follows is a great story well worth reading many times over.
Kat123
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
New Favorite

Discovered this author when I read the first book in the series. I have since bought and read everything she has written. This story is as good if not one of the best. A feisty heroine, a hero who has issues but is not too cruel. It is lovely to watch him discover his true feelings. I highly recommend this book and can't wait for the next one.
Steph
Oct 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This one was okay. I just found that the story drifted sometimes and I got a little bored. I found that the big ‘breakup’ came a little early in the book and then felt events were added on at the end for some undetermined reason. Also it got a little to mushy for me in the final chapter. But I know that’s just me. Overall cute story but probably won’t remember most of it in a little while.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Bride of Fire (The Warrior Daughters of Rivenloch, #1)
  • The Work of Art
  • The Laird's Bastard Daughter (The Highland Warlord Series Book 1)
  • The Mercenary (Order of the Broken Blade, #2)
  • A Heartless Laird (Clan Ross, #1)
  • Wicked in Winter (The Wicked Winters Book 1)
  • The Devil's Lady (de Laci, #1)
  • The Arcav King's Mate (Arcav Alien Invasion, #1)
  • The Wolf Duke (Valor of Vinehill, #2)
  • Always (Always Trilogy, #1)
  • Maiden and the Monster
  • The Iron Earl (Valor of Vinehill, #1)
  • Desired by a Highlander (Macardle Sisters of Courage Trilogy Book 2)
  • Dark King (Court of the Sea Fae, #1)
  • The Outlaw's Bride (The Brides of Skye #2)
  • The Arcav Commander's Human (Arcav Alien Invasion, #3)
  • Bound To The Battle God
  • Maiden Bride (de Laci, #2)