Start by marking “Dead of Night” as Want to Read:

Dead of Night

(Detective Inspector Temple Mystery #2)

MEET A NEW AUTHOR WHO WILL TAKE YOU ON AN ADDICTIVE CRIME THRILLER JOURNEY.

A MACABRE KILLER WORKS IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT. HE’S VERY GOOD – NO ONE SEES HIM.

14-year-old local girl, China Lewis is reported missing by her friend Amy. Detective Inspector Temple is tasked to find her. The more he discovers about China, the greater the danger he knows she's in.

Temple needs to
Published July 12th 2019 by Joffe Books crime thrillers

To ask other readers questions about Dead of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead of Night

Start your review of Dead of Night
Louise Wilson
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Detective Temple Mystery #2

A fourteen year old girl, China Lewis has been reported missing by her friend Amy. DI Temple is sent to investigate. But the more Temple discovers about China, the more danger China is in. But when Temple's past catches up with him and two more girls go missing, it becomes personal.

The pace is fast from the beginning. The investigation reveals trafficking, abuse, drug dealing and corruption within the police force. There are some twists to keep you guessing what's
Linda Strong
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

DEAD OF NIGHT starts a few months after the end of WATCH HER DIE. DI Temple has some major changes in his personal life .. and in his professional life.

China Lewis is a 14-year old who has been reported missing by a friend. Upon investigating, he discovers that she might be in much more danger than anyone thinks.

To top it off, two more young girls have gone missing.. and it's personal this time. What he finds is corrupt police, major drug dealers, human trafficking.

Forced to work in the
Cheryl
This is a DNF at 19%.

Try as I might I just can't get going with this book, it's just not clicking with me. There is nothing wrong with it, it's more a case of "it's not you, it's me", although to be honest a plot including forced underage prostitution doesn't sit well with me.
Pat
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent follow up to the previous book (Watch Her Die). Missing girls, a serial killer and corrupt police. Its all been done before but Deborah Lucy did a pretty good job on this one and it was gripping and quite dark.
Aurialis
Note - I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is the second book in the series, but I read it as a stand-alone. For the followers, I would seriously advice against this. I realized later that by reading this book, I had inadvertently read major spoilers of the first book in the series.

While reading this book, I felt that if there was checklist for an author to write a book, this book had it all.

Dos and Don'ts of writing a book in mystery and thriller genre:

Do:

Alyson Read
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book in a new series featuring DI Temple, a detective working in Swindon, Wiltshire, and although it could be enjoyed as a stand alone I think the reader will get so much more out of the story if the books are read in sequence. Temple is still unpopular with the brass, stitched up by Chief Supt Harker and DS Sloper, and under investigation for the death of a suspect, so he has been sidelined into an office of fellow bad boys where he is back in uniform and looking into missing ...more
Kerry https://likeherdingcatsblog.wordpress.com Robinson
I love Joffe books and when I began to read Dead of Night I expected a police procedural/crime novel. What I was not expecting (to my pleasant surprise) was a dark and alarming thriller that plays on every parent's worst nightmare in the most disturbing manner - and I loved every uncomfortable minute of it.

Initially the novel introduces quite a few different perspectives and events which take a little concentration to keep up with but once the story gets a few chapters in - it becomes and
Joyce
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars

Fourteen-year old China Lewis has gone missing. DI Temple is assigned to the case. He has matured a lot in this book from the first in this series. I like the way the book explains some of what makes him tick. Hopefully in future stories, we will learn more about him and especially the circumstances of his mother's murder.

What Temple soon discovers is that more young girls are going missing as well. What seems to be going on is human trafficking. While not one of my favorite subjects,
booklover BEV
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A fourteen years old girl goes missing. China Lewis mother didn't even report her missing. D.I Temple is on the case after her friend has not seen her for three days.Temple has has a case on his hands with up to now three missing girls and one seriel killer. The report's are endless on the missing person's bureau in the national crime agency. A fast pace book and my first from this author that hope will go far
peggy
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fast paced crime thriller which had me hooked from the first page, I just had to keep on reading. Atmospheric, gripping, scary and a real page turner. This book kept me glued to my seat and tapping my kindle faster and faster. Another new author for me and definitely one to watch. Almost five stars and highly recommended.
I would like to thank the author, publisher and Netgalley for the ARC.
Joanna Larum
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second of Deborah Lucy's novels with Detective Inspector Temple in charge, although I think it is perfectly possible to read it as a stand alone. A young girl, China Lewis, has been reported missing to the police by her school friend Amy. Incredibly, China's drunken mother and bully of a brother don't seem concerned about her at all, insisting that she isn't missing but staying at friends' houses.
Temple, who has been reported for his actions in the previous book, has been put back
Linda
Jul 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
My initial thoughts on this book is that it’s a great story but the writing seemed very disjointed and things appeared to be repeated too frequently. In places there is a lot of concentration on, what I felt was irrelevant background. At times I really struggled with reading it and very nearly gave up when I was only a quarter of the way through. However, the plot kept me going and suddenly it all started to fall into place. The writing style was different to anything I have read before, with ...more
shruti
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
With one serial killer on the loose and three missing girls, this book reeks of thrill. DI Temple has his work cut out for him when he goes to review a missing person report and finds out there is a lot more to uncover.
Deborah Lucy lucidly brings the serious real-life issues of human trafficking, drug smuggling, exploitation, forced prostitution and police corruption. The novel, Dead of Night, for most sections followed the concept of telling rather than showing and it went well with the
Marion
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book 2 of the DI Temple series and we find Temple back in uniform, sidelined whilst his superiors decide what to do with him following the death of a suspect in custody.
Having been stitched up by Chief Supt Harker all Temple can do is wait it out.
When a young girl is reported missing by her friend Temple sets out to discover exctly what led up to her disappearance.
China Lewis is only 14 years old her mother and brother bother deny shes missing and have no clue where exctly she is and apparently
Nerys Roberts
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amy Donaldson has gone to the police to report her best friend, China Lewis, missing. China’s alcoholic mother and drug dealer brother claim she’s not missing - she’s hiding as she stole money from her brother. DI Temple is a man with a complicated background, complicated personal life and one who’s hanging on to his job by his fingernails. After visiting China’s home and speaking to Amy he’s convinced there’s more to the girls disappearance than meets the eye. At the same time Paul Wallace, a ...more
Sharon Rimmelzwaan
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
#2 In the series "starring " DI Temple, sidelined due to a death in custody, he is not in the best place! I can say it is better if you read this book after the first as it places all the background so you understand everything, BUT saying that, it COULD be read as a standalone!
A missing 14 year old whose family don't show much interest in whats happening, a dlate of dead homeless people... these are the main steings of the story. Deborah Lucy has brought sex trafficking and homelessness to this
Ruth Matheson
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Deborah Lucy is a new author to me, although this is her second book. Overall I did enjoy the book albeit at times I had to concentrate to keep up with all the twists and turns. The main character DI Temple is having not only a turbulent time in his work life but also in his private life and has to get to grips with missing girls before he may or may not be dismissed.

There is a sub plot about missing homeless people too but this reminded me too much of "Sweeney Todd" and I struggled to get my
Linda
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gripping tale of crime and abuse with a persecuted British cop to save the day!
A real page turner! What with drug running kids, ruthless criminal gangs into human trafficking, a serial killer with a loathing for the homeless and the lead character cop's imploding career and beleaguered domestic life, this thriller kept me fascinated from start to finish.

Good writing and a twisting plot with building urgency and action made this story a winner in my book.

I read a complimentary advance copy
Rebecca A Burch
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book!

Harrowing, brutal , gruesome and very very clever! DI Temple is a character with very realistic human (and male) flaws, but as a female reader his predicaments drew me in rather than putting me off. Looking forward to the next installment to learn more about the central mystery of his mother’s murder, as well as new and twisty crimes for him to solve. Writing is concise, professional and as noted, very clever. Well done!
Aileen  (Ailz) Grist
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A book about misfits. From the police officers through to the girls, and boys, that are working a mules for the drug dealers. DI Temple has been sidelined at work, is being divorced by his wife and is settled into a cottage at the graveyard with his au pair and his son Ben.

I found this to be a very touching story - believable too.

I read a free advance review copy, this review is voluntary, true and my work.
Brian Murgatroyd
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hopefully soon no.3 in the series.

I think this book two in the series is a fast moving and thrilling storyline.It covers some good personal stories of different characters,the main man DI. Temple has a lot of mishaps and injuries, but gets more results from knock on happenings from the missing persons case.Don't think I could eat another burger though!!! Well worth reading,ends with a wet your appetite for the next book.
Lesley Lumbers
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Definitely worth a read

A confusing start with all the characters being drawn together from far and wide but eventually the story lines began to meld together eventually keeping me up until the early hours. A difficult subject ok human trafficking was dealt with honestly without sensationalism or gratuity.
Pam
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read the first book in this series, but I must now, this is a brilliant book, Detective Inspector Temple is a great character, and as you follow his efforts to find one serial killer and three missing girls, my heart was in my mouth, this is a compulsive read that you won't want to put down.
T Olsen
Jul 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Everything I dislike in a lot of British police procedurals is gathered here. There's jumping around with a lot of unnecessary details about the victims, most of the suspense comes from internal affairs in the police and the crime (human trafficking) is exaggerated to the max.
Luckily, the book is well written, the characters are good, and I suppose a lot of readers like this stuff.
Woofas
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Add together: a bitter divorce, cited for misbehaviour at work, at odds with superior officers, people trafficking with under age prostitution and then throw in a serial killer who is also a cannibal. The result is a hotchpotch of a novel which leaves the reader gasping with incredulity! A typical example of less is better.
Allison Minjares
Sep 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Not a fan

If you have to repeat sentences over and over to make a paragraph your not a writer. How you were able to take one chapter that's awesome and turn it into the most boring book I've ever read is beyond me. But congrats I now know how to cure insomnia.
bonnie kirchner
Nov 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Dead of Night

This was an ok thriller. The beginning was a bit boring for me. I skipped most of the first half of the book. The second half of the book was very good but the ending leaves you hanging so you have to wait for the next book in the series to find out what happens.
Greta Halliday
Jul 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the second book in the series but can be easily read as a stand-alone. Thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish this compulsive read covers a very emotive subject. Thanks to Joffe Books for giving me the opportunity to read this book.
Sally Rogers
Jan 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Page Turner

Couldn't put his down, and it was certainly a story you needed to know the outcome of. Great plot, and very feasible with it happening throughout the country. Look forward to the next one
Shona P
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Tense & exciting

Wow who knew Swindon was so complex? What lurks beneath the surface of respectability? Challenges mount for Temple and just when it looks like he is winning something else happens - exhausting!

• I WILL MAKE YOU PAY
  • He Will Find You (Maddie Ives, #3)
  • Two Victims (Detective Rachel King thrillers Book 2)
  • Slice
  • Dead or Alive (Tom Lange #3)
  • The Missing Nurse (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #1)
  • He Knows Your Secrets
  • Silent Crimes
  • Killer on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin Mystery, #4)
  • ROLLOVER a gripping crime thriller you won’t be able to put down (Detective Jeff Temple Book 1)
  • Crime In The Ballet (detective markham mystery #5)
  • Secrets on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin mystery #5)
  • The Woman on the Cliff
  • The Farming Murder (Eric Ward #2)
  • Cold is the Caller (DI Bethany Smith #1)
  • Revenge on the Levels (Detective Kate Hamblin mystery, #2)
  • The Lady in the Street (DI Helena Stratton #2)
  • The Missing Wife (Yorkshire Murder Mysteries #2)

Detective Inspector Temple Mystery (2 books)
  • Watch Her Die