Start by marking “World Turned Upside Down” as Want to Read:
World Turned Upside Down

World Turned Upside Down

After three winters in Antarctica, Simon Bancroft is an old hand on the ice. The harsh weather and extreme isolation aren’t for everyone, but he enjoys the tight-knit community at McMurdo Station… and lately he’s enjoyed watching the hot new researcher, Asher Delaney, who’s recently arrived to study the aurora. But Simon’s just a janitor. Asher doesn’t even know he exists. ...more
Published August 9th 2019 by Dreamspinner Press

To ask other readers questions about World Turned Upside Down, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Turned Upside Down

☙ percy ❧
Aug 06, 2019 marked it as tbr-shortlist
m/m romance in antarctica!! sign me UP
Snjez
Aug 24, 2019 rated it liked it

A sweet short story with likable characters. A bit predictable, but enjoyable overall.
CrabbyPatty
First of all, I am incredibly impressed the author lived and worked in Antarctica at both the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station and at McMurdo Station on-and-off for three years and gives us an authentic insider's view to life on the ice in "World Turned Upside Down."

Simon has lived and worked on the ice for three seasons, working as a janitor. A new scientist / researcher Asher catches his eye, and Simon immediately falls in lust (Simon doesn't do love or relationships) with the tall, muscular
Joyfully Jay
Aug 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

4 stars

I have always found life in Antarctica fascinating and so I was drawn to this book right away. I was excited to learn that author Elyse Springer actually lived and worked in Antarctica, including spending time at McMurdo Station, so she has the experience to really give the story authenticity. I definitely appreciated the little details she was able to provide about day-to-day life at the station and I think it really enhanced the overall story. Everything from the
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, m-m
What a delightful read this was. The in Antarctica located, isolated McMurdo Station has a close community and Simon works there, as a janitor, for his third winter. He has all the time to dream and fantasize. And fantasize he does! The most delicious daydreams about the new hot researcher Asher. He wants this tall, rugged man badly, it’s been a while. Simon made himself some rules: no strings, certainly not dating, only enjoy the warmth and sexiness of each other’s body in his bed. But with a h ...more
Kirstin
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a solid read and the bonus was Antarctica! So very cool and interesting.

Simon works at the base in Antarctica as a dishwasher and janitor. He's on his third year and loves the Ice. But he's lonely and dreaming of one of the scientists that's also stationed there.

When his friends make a bet with him to get him to talk to the guy, Asher, they bet he'll end up having sex with him. But Asher is every man's wet dream and there's no way he'd ever want a guy like Simon.

But when they start talk
Ami
3.75 stars rounded up

I really liked the idea to read romance in a place so completely different than my own country. When I read the blurb for this one, where the romance would-be set-in ANTARCTICA, I knew I had to ask for the advanced copy. It’s always a plus point for me because the South Pole is not a common location for romance.

Written solely from the POV of Simon Bancroft, who works at McMurdo Station as a janitor, we are with him from the first time Simon sees Asher Delaney, a new research
The TBR Pile *Book review site*
This is not a long story, but it’s a feel-good romance and one I enjoyed and recommend.

FULL REVIEW - http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
Happily Ever Chapter
POV > Third-person
Setting: Antarctica

A darker, frosty, and frozen atmosphere with the aurora lighting up in the sky and a man bundled up but keeping his full face exposed. Looks mysterious and suspenseful but the synopsis does not support that theory. The blurb sounds quite sweet, in fact!
Shy kitchen and janitorial worker, Simon, has been crushing on Asher, one of the scientists, since Asher first entered the McMurdo Station. It’s Simon’s third season and he knows just about everyone.
Asher
ChaosMoondrawn
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I would rate this 3.5 stars.

Set at the McMurdo station in Antarctica, this story is told through the first person POV of a janitor named Simon. It follows his crush on Asher, a new researcher. With them stuck there for four months to over winter, Simon is afraid of rejection and making it awkward in an enclosed space where they can't avoid each other, even if they want to. What starts out as a harmless bet, made in jest to get Simon to talk to Asher, ends up being the albatross around his neck a
Kristie
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Reviewed at Slitsread.

This was a sweet, very cute, and interesting story. Despite the predictable moments, I found myself really invested in Simon and Asher. A good portion of the story is informative since I've never been to Antartica. I mean, not many people have, right? Knowing that this story is told by someone who's actually been there and experienced what it is like, it made the story more authentic and interesting.

Asher and Simon were too cute. I found them simply adorable, and while it
Susan
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
3.25 stars. Gets points for the unusual setting and the sweet romance between the MCs as Simon realizes that the fantasy version of Asher he was crushing on is very different from and altogether inferior to the real Asher he gets to know. But ugh, do we really need another romance that involves a bet? So predictable and an artificial obstacle that could have been avoided with a simple conversation.

Quick, cute read, but frustrating because it could have been better if the author hadn't resorted
Cathy Brockman
Aug 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a sweet romance set in another world. It is interesting and I learned a lot about living in a place I hear little about with a job I had never heard of. The story is sweet and predictable with interesting side characters as well.
Kristina
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've come across that is set in Antarctica and it was a very interesting setting, though the thought of how cold it was kinda had me diving under my blankets...in 87F weather!

Simon was so infatuated with the thought of being with Asher, and I loved how once he had the chance to be around Asher he didn’t just rush into it. It was great seeing these two men who are so different find out who they could be together.

Asher was so different than what I expected; he was smart and
Jen Drummond