Start by marking “Enter the Aardvark” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  48 ratings  ·  21 reviews
A Republican Congressman struggles to save his career after a mysterious stuffed aardvark appears on his doorstep in this wholly original and uproarious novel of politics, power, and sexuality.

Early one morning on a hot day in August, millennial Congress-bro Alexander Paine Wilson (R) is planning his reelection campaign when a mysterious FedEx delivery arrives at his
Expected publication: March 24th 2020 by Little, Brown and Company

Availability: 75 copies available, 412 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 25 - Feb 12, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Enter the Aardvark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enter the Aardvark

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Enter the Aardvark
    Jason
    Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2019
    I do love stumbling across an unknown book and finding out that it is a brilliant read, that is what happened with "enter the aardvark". A political satire that captures the madness of politics and news media perfectly. Alexander Paine Wilson is a politician that pushes crazy laws about same sex marriage and abortions by day and at night is completely oblivious that he is breaking the laws he is trying to enforce, in my opinion that fits the average politician in the UK.

That is just half the
    Anmiryam
    Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    What happens when someone brings a nasty, closeted, right-wing acolyte of Ronald Reagan a stuffed aardvark? Everything. And all of it will surprise you. How did this taxidermied nocturnal creature from Namibia arrive on Congressman Alexander Payne Wilson's doorstep? The journey we discover, starts in the 1870s, and as we read it becomes clear that the present and the path intertwine. The dual, though strikingly similar tales across time elevate the novel beyond a standard farce, though don't ...more
    Em
    Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    satire + taxidermy + ??? = !!!!!!!
    Keelin Rita
    Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: netgalley
    I present to you the next big Love It or Leave It book. Because this one is gonna be divisive. This review is not going to make a lot of sense so sorry about that up front. Ok how do I talk about this book? For starters, this is a 4.5. I know I only rated it four but that’s not the point right now.

This book is not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, in fact, I think many people, many people I know, will not like it. The main characters are pretty unlikeable. The language used in one section is so
    Sarah-Hope
    Dec 20, 2019 rated it liked it
    Shelves: netgalley, 2019
    Jessica Anthony's Enter the Aardvark is a clever piece of political satire with narratives in two different time periods running parallel to one another. There is, yes, and aardvark, which is taxidermied in the earlier timeline and sets off some chaos in the second one.

The tones of the two timelines differ. The earlier one is kinder, less mocking. The present-day one offers a more cutting narrative—from a send-up of twee hipster eateries to politicians who are more interested in what people
    Latkins
    Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This bizarre but brilliant satirical novel tells two stories, one set in 19th century England and another in contemporary America, which are connected by a stuffed aardvark! Ronald Reagan-obsessed right-wing Republican congressman Alexander Paine Wilson is blindsided when he receives the aardvark as a present – and realises that it must have come from his secret gay lover, Greg Tampico. Meanwhile, in 1875, taxidermist Titus Downing is surprised and saddened by the sudden death in Africa of his ...more
    R.J. Sorrento
    Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: arcs-netgalley
    I was intrigued by the premise of two seemingly separate stories being connected by the same stuffed aardvark. The book delivers on the promise of the premise, and Anthony has written a clever story with memorable characters (even if a few are meant to be caricatures).

If you’re looking for a unique story that blends repressed love with political satire, check out Enter the Aardvark. Content warnings: homophobia (internalized and societal).

To read my full review, visit:
    Charlotte
    Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Describing this book will be a challenge. The book centers around a stuffed Aardvark. Yes, you read it correctly. This is a clever story that delves into the lives of several characters... none of whom are truly without their faults. In fact, most of the characters aren't all that likable. They manipulate each other, they're dishonest, they're cheating and lying and misrepresenting themselves.

I'm not even sure I can pin down the genre of this book. It's part political satire, part fable, part
    Katia
    Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    I suppose there is something to be said for this book; I did finish it, after all. That is not to say that it is particularly readable, as there were long passages I had to skip over on account of the fact that I didn't really care all that much. Anthony does tease you enough to continue reading with implausible, strange plot turns and an alternation between two characters' perspectives, but beyond that I didn't find anything redeemable about this book.

It was pitched as an exercise in "knowing
    willowdog
    Nov 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    A couple of years ago, I read not one but two LGBT books where a taxidermist played a significant role. At that time, I thought what were the chances that two authors would write about this profession in the same year. Did the authors go to some writing seminar and decide that this subject would be the occupation chosen for the year? But this is all an aside.
    Anthony's subject is somewhat ripped from the headlines. Think of the recent scandal of Aaron Schock, a Republican representative. In this
    Patricia Baker
    difficult book to review..is it satire at its best? is it politics not as usual? is it a love story involving blue eyes and an aardvark? probably a little bit of all of these things. Alexander Paine Wilson is running against Nancy Beavers for political office. Mr Wilson has a thing for Ronald Reagan and all things Ronald including furniture and clothing. Nancy just has a family which Wilson needs he thinks to win. story also includes flashbacks into the lives of prior scientists and that ...more
    Kendra
    Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    A very funny and very sad book all at once, with many long and beautiful sentences on the nature of things, especially animals, in the world and how evolution has worked and what the results have been and how those very results influence even the smallest aspects of our lives, with two tragic romances at the heart of the story and a condemnation of societal and personal hypocrisy and lack of truth and this is a very different book that I highly recommend to just about everyone.
    Lauren
    Dec 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fiction
    4.5 - I found this short novel very engaging and unique. I loved the dual narrative and the elaborate metaphors for our current governmental climate. But it was the characters that really made the novel - I laughed out loud, I was disgusted, I was moved, I was surprised. I think this is a fun, quirky, queer novel that everyone needs to read. I’d not for its total creativeness than for its memorable and messed up characters.
    Erin
    Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    This is one of the most bizarre books I've ever read, but I enjoyed every minute of it. Political satire at its finest with parallel love stories for the ages - this book is probably going to be one of the most divisive titles for 2020. Whether you love it or hate it - it'll definitely spark an interesting discussion.
    Jill
    Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This is quite possibly the strangest book I have ever read, which is exactly what makes it so amazing. At once bizarre, hilarious, tender, and critical, Enter the Aardvark is a timely and refreshing political satire, and an absolute must read!
    M
    Sep 13, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Advanced proof. 2.5.
    Elizabeth
    Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Love love love. If you like George Saunders, you'll love this too.
    Marjolein
    3.5 Stars

Full review to come closer to publication on March 24!
    Shannon
    3.5. Loved the satire, it genuinely made me laugh out loud. Thought the other/historical narrative was weaker.
    Basia
    Nov 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    3.5 I didn't find the second-person narration of Alex's sections that compelling, and interspersing every few words with "like" didn't quite convince me of his millennial-ness. The use of Namibian culture also felt like a reductive kind of plot accessory. The richness of Titus Downing's sections though, especially Rebecca's character, partially compensate for those moments, as does the energy of the plot. Enter the Aardvark dives into action from the very first page and does not lose its pace as ...more
    Talli
    Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: politics
    Smart, unique, bizarre, everything I could ever want in a novel. The author draws parallels between two sets of men in two time periods connected mainly by a giant stuffed aardvark. It sounds ridiculous (and it is), but it works perfectly and is such an enjoyable read. Highly recommend.
    Elora

• Such a Fun Age
    • This Is Pleasure
    • Only Mostly Devastated
    • Your House Will Pay
    Anthony’s short stories can be found in Best New American Voices, Best American Nonrequired Reading, New American Writing and elsewhere. She has received fellowships from the Bread Loaf Writers’ Conference, the MacDowell Colony, the Millay Colony, the Ucross Foundation, and the Maine Arts Commission. Her books have been published in a dozen countries and reviewed in The Los Angeles Times, The Wall ...more