Start by marking “Dust of Far Suns” as Want to Read:
Dust of Far Suns

Dust of Far Suns

A short story collection originally published as Future Tense by one of SF's greatest authors, Jack Vance.

Contents:

- Dust of Far Suns (1962)
- Dodkin's Job (1959)
- Ullward's Retreat (1958)
- The Gift of Gab (1955)
Published 1981 by DAW Books (first published June 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Dust of Far Suns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dust of Far Suns

mark monday
a good survey of some early novellas by one of my favorite authors.

3 stars for "Ullward's Retreat", which visits a crowded future Earth and an entire planet owned by only one person. turns out that the two places aren't that different from each other - at least as far as humans are concerned. as with most Vance, this cozy tale drips with irony as it illustrates the amusing hypocrisies of various tunnel-visioned men and women. the grass is always greener... no place like home...

2 stars for "Dust
TJ
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
The collection "Dust of the Far Suns" (1981) has the same contents as the 1964 collection titled "Future Tense." They are comprised of three novelettes and one novella. I had not encountered any of these four stories in other collections and enjoyed all of them but especially "Dodkin's Job." Vance fans will want to read this collection, and other readers who like very creative, exceptionally well written fiction with irony, suspense and humor might want to give these a try. I rated the collectio ...more
Roger
Dec 30, 2018 added it
This is a reread. DAW books came out with reprints of almost all of Jack Vance's early work in the late seventies and early eighties and I merrily snapped them all up-I have kept them to this day. Future Tense was renamed Dust of Far Suns for reasons I really don't comprehend. So though this is my second time around with this book this is the first time I have read under its' original and catchier title of Future Tense. My older edition puts the short stories contained herein in a different orde ...more
John Grose
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it
When I picked up Dust of Far Suns, I didn't realize I'd be reading one of the author's books when he passed away. But sadly, he did pass away a few days ago. Which makes saying that I found the book to be just average a bit uncomfortable. I have read - and love - Vance's Dying Earth books. I thought I would enjoy this one more than I did.
Bob Wolniak
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
a memorable organizational parable-like tale, a satire of what technology does to our appreciation of. the great outdoors, and then two fairly terrific science fiction novellas--one a training mission in space gone awry, and another a murder mystery on an alien ocean that requires communication with a seemingly unintelligent hostile species.
Derek
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A joy, of course, and it's hard to pick a favorite, if only because each has a component that Vance would later amalgamate into his trademark style and voice.

"Dodkin's Job" has a weird, monomaniacal, and myopic societal hierarchy where an iconoclast starts making purely self-interested probings, and discovers that the seat of power may not be in glittery halls and offices.

"Ullward's Retreat", within another myopic society, explores boundaries and the effect of limitations. A man may prefer a wal
Michel Van Goethem
Staub ferner Sonnen
by Jack Vance

""Was die Hartnäckigkeit von Aberglauben betrifft: Nur ein armseliger Geist hält sich für das Behältnis absoluten Wissens. Hamlet sprach über dieses Thema zu Hortio, wenn ich mich recht erinnere, in dem wohlbekannten Werk William Shakespeares. Ich selbst sah Seltsames und Erschreckliches. Waren es Halluzinationen? Wares es Manipulationen des Kosmos durch meinen eigenen Geist oder den Geist eines anderen - oder von etwas anderem? Ich weiss es nicht. Delhalb rate i
Rob Trump
Dec 26, 2013 rated it liked it
I think this is out of print but I found it at a used bookstore and picked it up because I had never read anything by Vance. Some of the four short stories are stronger than others ("The Gift of Gab" is the standout) but there's definitely enough good and interesting stuff here that I want to check out some of Vance's novel-length work.
JJ
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the first work I've read by Jack Vance and I really enjoyed it. A collection of short stories, each one had an interesting bit to them. Recommend!
Muhammad Rasheed
Dec 30, 2018
Nick Galley
May 06, 2018
Kim Huett
rated it did not like it
Dec 14, 2015
May 11, 2018
King_In_Yellow
Aug 25, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Aka John Holbrook Vance, Peter Held, John Holbrook, Ellery Queen, John van See, Alan Wade.

The author was born in 1916 and educated at the University of California, first as a mining engineer, then majoring in physics and finally in journalism. During the 1940s and 1950s, he contributed widely to science fiction and fantasy magazines. His first novel, The Dying Earth, was published in 1950 to great