Start by marking “The Astonishing Life of August March” as Want to Read:

The Astonishing Life of August March

In this enchanting first novel, an irrepressibly optimistic oddball orphan is thrust into the wilds of postwar New York City after an extraordinary childhood in a theater—Candide by way of John Irving, with a hint of Charles Dickens.

Abandoned as an infant by his actress mother in her theater dressing room, August March was raised by an ancient laundress. Highly
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Harper

Start your review of The Astonishing Life of August March
Carolyn
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A fun romp of a novel! I fell in love with the author's voice before I finished the first marvelous tongue-in-cheek chapter. A starlet gives a breathtaking performance in a pregnancy-hiding hoop skirt, waddles off stage, gives birth alone in her dressing room, leaves the child in a basket of dirty laundry, and is back on stage for curtain call. She goes to an after-party with a clear conscience, thinking "someone will find the child and care for it."

She's right. An elderly spinster laundress

Amy
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a lover of theatre, early 20th century New York City, and a touch of camp, I feel like this book was written for me. I love the central character and the relationships he manages to forge in the course of his unusual life. It has heart in addition to a rollicking, sharp wit. I found this book very charming indeed.
David
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Book review
A novel by Aaron Jackson

Epic, funny, moving, emotionally powerful, compelling, fascinating... so many words come quickly to mind in trying to describe the many, many pleasures of Aaron Jackson's The Astonishing Life of August March. Astonishing is also spot on. In earlier times, this novel would best be described as picaresque.(If you don't know what it means I suggest you look it up as it as aptly accurate).

August March is born, abandoned and
Laura Hill
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Harper Collins and NetGalley for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for my honest review. The book will be published on April 7th, 2020.

August March grew up in the theater — literally. Tossed in a laundry basket at birth by an empty-headed starlet, raised by the laundress who found him, but left him in the theater at night so she could sleep, and educated by a typically vain and pompous leading man (who was the only one to know he existed), August indeed had the
Tracett
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The childhood of August March is indeed astonishing. His theatrical upbringing gives him a charmingly archaic vocabulary and a sense of wonderment at his limited world. I loved reading about his early years. Up to here it was a four star book. There is a lot to like in his adult life but this part fell a little flat for me. Mine is the first written review and I hate to cast a downer on this, so I'll remind everyone that three stars means that I liked it! Let's call this a three and a 1/2 star ...more
Sarah-Hope
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: edelweissplus, 2020
The Astonishing Life of August March is a fun, quick read with laugh-out-loud moments scattered throughout. August, a parentless boy raised backstage at a New York theater, is a prodigy of theater criticism, a thief, a prep school rebel—and he has a personal body of knowledge as eclectic in its fullness and gaps as is Sherlock Holmes'.

This book will probably not reshape your life philosophy or bring on any major revelations, but it will entertain quite nicely. Spending a bit of time with August
Doug Yonce
When raised in a closed environment, in this case the theater, one’s life experiences are sure to be limited, but also very specific and intense . Such is the main character in this story who leads us through stirring adventures during and exciting time. I received an advanced digital copy of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Taylor Holt
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
As a creature of the theater, I wholeheartedly loved August. This book so well depicted a life in the theater. I recommend it highly!
thelithaven.com
Aaron Jackson
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Elizabeth B
Andrew Greenberg

• The Authenticity Project
  • Separation Anxiety
  • Simon the Fiddler
  • A Conspiracy of Bones (Temperance Brennan #19)
  • Know My Name: A Memoir
  • Beautiful Revolutionary
  • A Bad Day for Sunshine (Sunshine Vicram, #1)
  • Tattoo
  • A Garden of Sand
  • Carthage
  • Everything My Mother Taught Me
  • A Full Cold Moon
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • Here Among Us
  • The Last Flight
  • A Minute to Midnight (Atlee Pine, #2)
  • Magic for Liars