Start by marking “The Silent Treatment” as Want to Read:

The Silent Treatment

A lifetime together.
Six months of silence.
One last chance.

By all appearances, Frank and Maggie share a happy, loving marriage. But for the past six months, they have not
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Treatment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Treatment

Start your review of The Silent Treatment
Jayme
There is no doubt that this debut novel is well written...

It just wasn’t a story that I could relate to personally, as I never had the desire to have children.

I was expecting a book about the break down of a relationship but did not realize there would be a strong focus on parenting when I requested this.

Maggie doesn’t feel like she, or her family can be complete, unless she becomes a mother. And, her greatest desire is to not only become a Mom, but to be the best version of a Mom, that a
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 16, 2019 marked it as to-read
Yaaaaaaayyyyyy!!! Got my ARC COPY a few minutes ago!
And of course I just dance in the living room, love with an attitude! Drunk to an 80's groove! Because I'M ONLY HUMAN! Thanks to the universe, Jonas Brothers didn't witness my literally killer moves and ear bleeding voice!
Emer (A Little Haze)
Do you ever feel like you're just the wrong reader for a book? That for some reason a perfectly well written book with an interesting plot just doesn't appeal to you.

That's what has happened to me with The Silent Treatment.

There are no real reasons why I didn't enjoy this book as I should have. I think it's purely down to very personal reasons. I just felt very alienated from the world of these characters as what they were experiencing was something too removed from my own life.

The story
Gilly Macmillan
In her tremendously moving debut, a novel that pulses with emotional tension, Abbie Greaves masterfully unpicks a history of ordinary lives facing extraordinary challenges. I found it impossible to look away from the relationship at the heart of this novel.
Hristina
This book is written just beautifully. I liked so much about it, but even if I didn't, the writing would've been enough for me to enjoy it. It flowed so naturally, and it helped me immerse myself in the story almost immediately, which is not something a lot of books do.
This is a character driven book, and they were brought to the page perfectly. Their relationship and the issues within it were intriguing throughout the read.
This was amazing, and it was hard to put down. I recommend it.

*Copy
Elaine
I was stoked when I received a copy of The Silent Treatment from a Goodreads Giveaway.

I thought the premise was intriguing, yet as I was reading, I realized it was a bit hard to suspend disbelief for.

** Minor spoilers ahead **

Frank and Maggie have been married for a long time. When a family tragedy forces Frank to withdraw from the only woman he's ever loved, Maggie takes a drastic step herself that forces her husband to reassess their life together.

Will Frank be able to save Maggie before
Robin
Nov 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Compelling and emotional. I couldn't put it down.

More review to come soon.

To be published in April 2020. Thanks to the publisher for the advance digital reading copy.
Mary Lou
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Frank has not spoken to Maggie, his wife of forty years, in six months.
Maggie is now critically ill in hospital and Frank has little time to explain why he has been silent for so long.
I’m afraid this book was not for me. I revisited the blurb on Netgalley to clarify my inappropriate selection but the summary is actually vague enough to mislead me. Let me just stress, the problem lies with me, many will absolutely love this book.
I may be pedantic, but I like an accurate backdrop against which a
Bidisha
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trickles into the heart and grips you to pay attention
Rating - 3.75
#NetGalley #TheSilentTreatment #AbbieGreaves
It is hard to believe this was written by a debutante. It is moving, to say the least.
The Silent Treatment urges you to re-examine life and relationships, a la Julian Barnes’ Sense of an Ending. It is hard-hitting yet humble, creating that rare combination that is scarce in this genre. In its essence, Greaves’ debut novel is a love story. The spouses have stopped speaking with each
Alison Eden
#TheSilentTreatment #NetGalley An emotional book about the roller coaster lives of Frank and Maggie. Their love story draws you in and you really feel the emotions from both Frank and Maggie's perspective. However, I did find the book to very slow to get going and I didn't really enjoy the way the story was told as Frank reliving their whole relationship. For me there was too much detail and not enough action. The change of narrative half way through to show Maggie's perspective did bring about ...more
Natasha Ellis
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s not often a book makes me cry, this book did. A really heartbreaking, well written story about marriage and being a parent. Highly recommend.
Jennifer Garber
Oct 31, 2019 rated it liked it
Caroline Kelly
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank and Maggie have had a lifetime together but for the last six months, Frank hasn’t uttered a word to Maggie. Life has continued -eating, sleeping, sex - but no words. Maggie has tried to make him talk to her without success. So Maggie takes matters into her own hands.

My first thought on reading the blurb of this book was to wonder what exactly could make a husband stop speaking to his wife for six months? Did she do something wrong? Or did he? Was there something he was ashamed of? Feeling
Lucille
I asked to review The Silent Treatment based on the many accolades it has already received from other writers.

The US Marketing spiel: 'Resonant with the emotional power of the bestselling novels of David Nicholls and Jojo Moyes, a rich and poignant debut about lies, loss, and a transcendent love at the heart of a troubled marriage.' Not entirely true. David Nicholls and Jojo Moyes books were uplifting whereas The Silent Treatment, while an emotional read, left me depressed.

The premise is of the
Sheila A.
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ALONG PETAL BY THE SEA

BY

Isabel Allende

Not usually a fan of books where politics are a prominent theme, I loved this book.
It has everything. I have a better understanding of the Spanish Civil War now and the emotional and physical turmoil that refugees suffered in the aftermath, losing everything.
Each chapter opens with a quote from the work of Nobel Prize winner, Pablo Neruda, a Chilean poet and politician. He chartered a ship, the Winnipeg, to take 2,200 refugees from the war to Chile. The
Joan
Jan 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review of Advance Reader’s Edition

Maggie and Frank, married for some forty years, have, by choice, not spoken to each other for the past six months.

Not one word.

Today, Maggie lies in the hospital, unconscious, quite possibly never to recover from her suicide attempt. And now, finally, Frank will talk to Maggie. But will his words be enough . . . or are they too little and far too late?

Well-defined characters populate this eloquent tale of a marriage floundering over the secrets both are
Snoakes
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won-or-blagged
The Silent Treatment is a bittersweet novel about a marriage and the trials and tribulations that the couple endure. After forty years, Frank has stopped speaking to his wife Maggie. As the book starts this has been going on for six months and when Maggie is taken into hospital Frank takes his opportunity to tell her all the things he should have said before. And so the first section of the book is Frank telling their story. Maggie gets her voice later on as things are brought to a head and we ...more
Joodith
Jan 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Frank and Maggie, happily married for forty years during which they have raised their daughter Eleanor, have hit a bump in the road. Actually it's more of a colossal boulder which neither of them seems able to clamber over or around, because for the past six months Frank has not uttered one word to Maggie. Not one. But why?

One morning he finds Maggie slumped over the kitchen table having apparently swallowed the contents of a bottle of sleeping tabelts. Did she intend to kill herself, or was
Christie Hoffmeister
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
***I won an advanced reader’s edition copy of this novel via a Goodreads giveaway under the premise that I would read it and offer my honest opinion about it.***

This novel is beautiful.

Without spoilers: This is the story of Frank, who after 40 years of marriage has stopped talking to his wife, Maggie. It’s been 6 months. She attempts suicide. The novel is Frank talking to Maggie while she is in a medically-induced coma and explaining how he got to the point that he had to withdraw from her. He
Juana
Jan 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, novels
** I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for a honest and unbiased review **

This book captured me on so many levels that it is hard to start explaining why I loved it.
It’s perhaps the profound humanity and credibility of Frank and Maggie, the main characters, that saw me picking up this book on every inch of spare time I had.

The Silent Treatment is the story of a family thorn by secrets they keep to protect each other from a terrible truth. It’s the story of two soul mates,
Annie
Jan 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Frank and Maggie have been married 40 years. For the past 6 months, he hasn't spoken a word. Eventually Maggie can't take any more silence and overdoses. She is put into a coma and to bring her back, Frank tells her the story of their lives together, eventually working his way to a confession of what made him go silent. I don't know how to rate this one. I mostly enjoyed the book, but it was also hard to read at points. Maggie's letter was emotionally difficult for me. Reading about anyone's ...more
Kenzie
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
In life, there are so many things we always think we will get around to fixing - the slow puncture in the back wheel of a bike, the niggling ache, a fractured relationship. If there is one thing the past week has taught Frank, it is that you can never rely on time being on your side.

At the start of the novel, Frank hasn't been able to speak to his wife for 6 months. The longer he goes without speaking, the harder it becomes to break his silence, ultimately driving Maggie to take drastic action.
Roselyn
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounded review form 3.5 stars to 4 stars.

As the title suggests, this book follows the marriage of Frank and Maggie with Frank stuck in a bout of 6 months silence unable to talk to his wife.

Maggie ends up in hospital in a coma. With some coercing form a lovely nurse, Frank finds his voice again and tells Maggie's (and us) their story. From their first chance encounter, courting, marriage and their journey as husband and wife. He begins the story in order to tell her his big secret - what has
Debra
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Six months ago Frank stopped talking to his wife, Maggie. She isn’t sure exactly why but has a fair idea. Today is the day that Maggie doesn’t feel she can cope with this any longer and takes drastic action.

This is a very emotional story with highs and lows. I admit to having sobbed at various points, particularly the ending. Perhaps a book not to read in public?

What can I say? I certainly don’t want to give out any spoilers. I feel it is imperative that the reader follows Frank & Maggie’s
Joey
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
I couldn't put this book down. I was totally captured by the story. I love how the story is split, almost in half, with the perspective changing from Frank to Maggie. The epilogue truly is the cherry on top, as it gave the whole novel some much needed clarity and finality.

Without giving anything away, I can whole heartedly say that the love between this couple is so strong and they really do have each others best interests at heart. This story, fixates on their love and their life together,
Heather
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Harper Collins and Netgalley for a copy of this ebook to read and review. Frank and Maggie are an older couple who keep their innermost issues hidden. When Maggie takes too many sleeping pills and the doctors put her in a coma, Frank feels very bad for not speaking to Maggie for a number of months. Urged on by Daisy, one of Maggie’s nurses, he recalls their life together and tells her everything he should have told her when she was awake and lucid.

This author took on a gigantic
Silverboggle
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This one is complex to review. It’s a difficult story to read, about a lifetime of love between Maggie and Frank, but packaged up with over protection of each other and their long awaited child both physically and emotionally. It’s the story of how that over protection eventually retards the truth and resultant growth in their relationships, and changes some things forever.
After six months of Frank not speaking to her, Maggie takes action. This book documents the resultant, messy piecing
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
This story is well written and an intriguing story, which sucked me in at the beginning. Written about an older couple it starts by looking back over their life, it was very touching and made me reminiscent of my own early days of marriage. I frequently made me smile reading about their sweet relationship.

Frank and Maggie were lovely characters; in the beginning you can't help enjoy their interactions and romance, though their story isn't without upset and disappointment. Later their life
Elida Liederbach
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was happy to read an advanced copy of "The Silent Treatment" by Abbie Greaves. This is a love story of the marriage of Frank & Maggie from courtship to parents, as well as normal life choices they make in everyday life. One of those choices causes Frank to stop speaking to Maggie for over six months and neither of them breaking the silence. One day, Frank finds Maggie slumped over after taking to many sleeping pills. As she lays in a coma, Frank examines their life together and what has ...more
Frances
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Silent Treatment is a wonderful bittersweet novel! It tells us of Frank and Maggie's 40 year love story. We begin almost at the end of the story and work backwards and forwards through the highs and lows of their lives together. We already know that they haven't spoken to each other for 6 months, but we don't know why. The author teases us through telling the story from all sides but gradually the truth comes out....and the truth when we finally learn it is heartbreaking. This is a thought ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Three Hours
  • The Two Lives of Lydia Bird
  • The Temple House Vanishing
  • Unexpected Lessons in Love
  • Her Last Breath (The Tattoo Thief, #2)
  • Mix Tape
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • Eight Perfect Murders
  • Minor Dramas & Other Catastrophes
  • The House on the Lake
  • The Silent House
  • The Authenticity Project
  • The Other People
  • Saint X
Abbie Greaves studied at Cambridge University before working in a literary agency for a number of years.

She was inspired to write her first novel, THE SILENT TREATMENT, after reading a newspaper article about a boy in Japan who had never seen his parents speak to one another before. It will be published in April 2020.

Abbie lives in Edinburgh with her boyfriend and is hard at work on her follow-up