Start by marking “Gone” as Want to Read:
Gone

Gone

Four strangers are missing. Left at their last-known locations are birthday cards that read:

DARE TO PLAY?

The police aren’t worried – it’s just a game. But the families are frantic. As psychologist and private detective Dr Augusta Bloom delves into the lives of the missing people, she finds something that binds them all.

And that something makes them
Published December 12th 2019 by Transworld Digital

To ask other readers questions about Gone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gone

Start your review of Gone
Dita
Nov 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have wanted to read this book forevahhhh. I will not even get into the long search, the lengths I went to to get it or how much I paid.

I read the description and just became obsessed with reading it.

Overall? Worth it. Great premise, well executed, and even though I worked some of it out it was great fun the whole ride.

Anyone who reads my reviews knows I love me a good psychopath!

*My parents slept like babies when I started interviewing them for a grad school project...

Pro Tip: This book was
Mandy White
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the beginning of Gone by Leona Deakin I was a bit confused. I was not sure I as going to like it despite all the good things that I had heard about it. Never fear - once this book got going it did not stop! This is a scary, thrilling ride that I really enjoyed. I am already looking forward to another book in this series. As long as you take the story for what it is you will really enjoy it, some parts are a little far fetched but still enjoyable.

Psychologist Augusta Bloom and her colleague
Alan Cotterell
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2019
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The start was a bit confusing, but despite this, I was quickly drawn into the story and the intriguing premise. There is a lot of psychological science, but it is all explained in fairly basic language so that even the least aware person can keep up. There are also some very relevant messages and thought provoking ideas about how we use social media and how we present to the world. I will definitely think twice before
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
46801795._SY475_-2.jpg

Gone Is a rerelease of the Book Mind Games.
It's a psychological crime thriller and has quite an interesting premise.
Its told from multiple POV and was quite the suspenseful mystery with plenty of twists and turns to keep your attention.
Marcus Jameson and Augusta Bloom, Ex-spy and criminal psychologist but also partners in there own PI business.
Their latest case involves the disappearance of a family friend's mother who has vanished after receiving a mysterious birthday card with the message
Mark
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it

What an idea for a book!
Random people on their birthday are sent a card asking ‘dare you play’ and are given a web link to go to
And then they disappear
But then even though they are missing they are dangerous
Nothing seems to link them BUT psychotherapist Augusta Bloom and her partner ( ex Secret Service ) Marcus Jameson think different and are on a mission to find out just ‘what is going on’
I liked both of them, both quirky characters, unusual and interesting to get to know
Once a link is
The Book Review Café
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was sent a card in the post wishing me a “happy first birthday’ which immediately had me intrigued, but then reading the greeting inside YOUR GIFT IS THE GAME.DARE TO PLAY? I must admit intrigue turned to excitement, like a fool I’m always the first to volunteer for a ‘dare’ but as they normally end in tears, I had my reservations about this one! That’s not the case for the four missing strangers in Gone by Leona Deakin, they jump in feet first with no thought of the consequences of playing a ...more
Louise Wilson
Dec 06, 2019 rated it liked it
People are disappearing. They all seem to be playing some kind of game. There's a birthday card left behind saying "YOUR GIFT IS THE GAME. CARE TO PLAY" written inside it. It seems the victims volunteered to disappear. Dr. And psychologist, Augusra Bloom is called in to investigate these disappearances along with her partner, Marcus Jamieson.

The first thing that drew me to this book was the cover. It looked liked the chair challenge in The X Factor. I didn't particularly like Dr Bloom. Marcus
Michelle
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gone by Leona Deakin is a unique psychological thriller from the author and her debut novel.
The story starts with Dr Augusta Bloom who specialises in Child psychology counselling 14-year-old Seraphine Walker. She has been accused of stabbing the Caretaker of the school. They do not know the reason why. Seraphine has Psychotic tendencies. Then Dr Augusta Bloom is then asked by her partner Marcus Jameson (ex MI6) to investigate 4 missing people. One of which is a family friend. The 4 people have
Susan
Nov 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This thriller has an intriguing premise. Psychologist, Dr Augusta Bloom and ex-spy, Marcus Jameson, become involved in the investigation of a missing person – that of a friend of Jameson’s sister. Soon, the pair realise that at least four people have vanished in the same way; receiving a birthday card daring them to ‘play a game,’ before, literally, stepping out of their life and leaving behind jobs, children and family.

With an emphasis on social media (this book will really make you think twice
Shalini
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book had everything that captured my heart as a thriller. I love books which can make my pulse speed up knowing that the entire story was a race against time.

4 people disappeared on their birthday, and Dr. Augusta Bloom and her partner Marcus were soon embroiled into this mystery. The only clue they had was an invitation to the game. An online game played by dangerous people started by dangerous ones.

My first book by author Leona Deakin, and what a ride it was, balanced perfectly with its
Shihab Azhar
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for sharing a copy for review.

Well, I finished this book in a day, the fastest I have read a book all year which I think says a lot. This is despite the horrific formatting on the version I received, which meant I had to reread several sections more than once to figure out what was going on, and also despite the fact that I figured out the plot at about 40%. But it did keep me hooked to the end, with a caveat that I will get into below.

It is very clear from very early in
V_Nerdbooks
It's your birthday Wahoo!!! You get a card through your door, you have no idea who sent it, you open it, it is plain white, but inside is a message!

DARE TO PLAY?

That is all the police have, a birthday card, and they are not really *that* worried about a person going missing, it is an adult after all, they probably have their reasons.

But, as more and more people are coming forward to say that their loved ones have received the same card and have also gone missing,
Sheri
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gone was an incredibly enjoyable, even addictive read, if a bit far-fetched, and a very assured debut novel from Leona Deakin.

Four people - Lana Reid, Faye Graham, Stuart Rose-Butler and Grayson Taylor - are missing; four people with, on the face of it, nothing in common, other than the fact that they all disappeared on their birthdays and all received a rather unusual birthday card beforehand. But as it turns out, that’s not all they have in common. As psychologist Augusta Bloom and her
Leigh
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I haven’t read a straight crime thriller set in the UK for some time. I find that they tend to be pretty tame in comparison to their American counterparts, or they go overboard with the gore in order to try and stand out. I was pleasantly surprised that this novel fit neither of those stereotypes.

Sixteen-year-old Jane’s mother was missing. Lana left no note, no money, nothing to help ensure Jane’s safety. All that was left was a card saying “Happy 1st Birthday”, containing the message “YOUR GIFT
Eve
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Psychological Thrillers / Police Procedurals
Series: Dr. Blook, book 1
Book 2 Lost is scheduled for August 2020 (UK)

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY.

DARE TO PLAY?

What would you do if you got a dare on your birthday? Accept? Decline?
At least four people have accepted a dare. Now they are gone.
Is it just a game or there is something more sinister going on behind this birthday game?
Psychologist and private detective Dr Augusta Bloom and her partner Marcus Jameson, an ex MI6 agent are
Agi
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
People go missing - all on their birthdays after receiving intriguing birthday cards daring them to play. Psychologist Augusta Bloom and her colleague Marcus Jameson (ex Secret Service) get involve in the case, as at least one person missing is known to them - a family friend's mother has vanished, following the pattern with the card. The more they investigate, the more complex the case becomes and as they start to dig really deep not only is the case starting to be dangerous to them personally, ...more
Joanna Park
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gone was a fantastic, absorbing and original book from an exciting new author. The thing that I most liked about this book is that the reader gets to look inside the mind of a psychopath which I found very intriguing.

This book gripped me from the start with a really dramatic opening where we are introduced to the fascinating Seraphine. She was definitely a character that interested me as I was never sure if she was telling the truth or not which helped add an unpredictable edge to the story. I
Tiffany Timms
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You know when you finish a book and just can't stop thinking about it for hours afterwards? Well Gone by Leona Deakin did that to me.

I love a thriller, it's a genre I've reviewed many times before but anything with a psychological element too and I am in so when I read the synopsis of Gone I knew it would be one for me. It's taken a missing person story and flipped it completely.

From the beginning I was captivated by the story and the characters. I was intrigued by Dr Augusta Bloom who despite
James
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
People are disappearing after receiving a birthday card daring them to play a game. Inside the card is stuck a URL which leads them to a website on the dark web, through which they access the game. They leave the card, minus the slip with the URL written on it, to be found by friends or relatives. One of those who go missing, Lana, is the mother of a teenage girl, Jane. Lana and Jane are family friends of an ex-MI6 officer, Marcus Jameson. He’s a business partner of Dr Augusta Bloom, a ...more
Hayley
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I couldn’t resist this book when I read the blurb, it sounded so intriguing and I’m so glad I picked it up! Gone is a novel about four strangers who have all disappeared after receiving a card asking them if they dare to play. Psychologist Dr Augusta Bloom and ex detective Marcus Jameson are tasked with looking into one of the missing people and find that things are more serious and involved than they ever could have imagined!

Gone is such a good psychological thriller and is something a bit
Emma Shaw
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This phenomenal novel puts the psycho into psychological thriller. It was one of those books where you just know you’re going to love it instantly. From the spine-chilling first chapter I was hooked and I devoured this book in just two sittings, staying up until daft o’clock as I needed to know what happened. Exhilarating, fast-paced, jaw-dropping and addictive, it knocked me out like ten rounds with Mike Tyson.

Dr Augusta Bloom and her partner Marcus Jameson are called in to investigate the
Eleanor Wheeler
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley, kindle
The premise for this book was very ambitious and it started with a gripping bang. Following the exploits of psychologist and private detective Dr. Augusta Bloom as she and her partner Marcus Jameson are drawn into a dangerous game when they investigate a number of people who have gone missing. The only obvious connection they all disappeared on their Birthdays following receiving a mysterious card asking “Dare To Play?”

Both Augusta and Marcus are interesting characters with a good bit of
Marnie | Once Upon a Time Book Blog
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Oh boy what a sensational book this is. It is a compelling story, that had me gripped right from the start and kept me enthralled right till the jaw dropping conclusion. It is an amazing thriller debut, that had me both riveted and terrified at the same time. In the world we live in today, this game could actually be getting played right now as I am writing this!!

The main plot of the story is so unique. Men and women are being recruited to play a “game” but it is not just any game and the
Mary
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
‘The missing people aren’t in danger. They’re the dangerous ones.’ This tagline was more than enough to catch my eye and I was totally engaged by the narrative and the action. This is a very impressive debut novel which explores the world and perceptions of the psychopath. The author is a psychologist who writes with confidence and skill about this intriguing subject matter. She is talented enough to avoid the trap of turning a story into a discourse about a psychological condition.

Four
Aileen Mckenzie
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
It has been so long since I read a Psychological Thriller with some real psychology in it, so I savoured every page of Gone by Leona Deakin. Reading the blurb, I was a bit unsure if this book would be right for me; an online game causing people to randomly disappear as I'm not too keen on the modern technological thrillers, but within minutes of picking up Gone I knew I was holding something very special indeed.

When 16 year-old Jane's mother Lana goes missing on her birthday the only clue left
peggy
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A really clever, well plotted and compelling thriller. An interesting and original premise which began by piquing my interest and then had me gripped and just had to keep on reading. A debut book and can't wait to read more by this author. Almost five stars and highly recommended.
I would like to thank the author, publisher and Netgalley for the ARC in return for giving an honest review.
Debbie
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four strangers are missing and each of them have one thing in common, they disappeared on their birthday. They also received a card the day they disappeared saying 'Your gift is the game. Dare to play?'. The police think its all a game. But when psychologist, Augusta Bloom and her colleague, Marcus Jameson become involved when the case becomes personal, they think it's more than a game and lives may be in danger.

This one was a fast moving psychological suspense and although I did guess one
Yvonne
Dec 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Well, there are two words that really sum this book up “psychological thriller”! If you are a fan of crime fiction reads that have a strong psychological aspect, then you are going to get on really well with this book. I read it in one sitting and it had me hooked.

The tag lines for this story are intriguing, to say the least, and the story opens in quite a brutal and also unsettling way. The main character is Dr Augusta Bloom and her work within the field of psychology.

It did take me a few
Book-Social
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
The book Gone arrived with a birthday card wishing me a ‘Happy 1st Birthday’. My gift was a dare to play ‘the game’, something that four strangers apparently chose to do before they went missing. I chose instead to read the book.

Deakin hit the ground running and it immediately felt like you were reading an established partnership between psychologist Augusta Bloom and ex-spy Marcus Jameson. This is despite the fact Gone is Deakin’s debut. I found myself drawn to teenager Seraphine’s story. Was
Danni (_forbookssake)
Jan 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I have to say that at the beginning of Gone I was a little confused, and wasn’t entire sure whether I was going to enjoy this as much as I had expected, but once the story picks up, it really sucks you in. Although this wasn’t a fast paced thriller, it didn’t really need to be, as the plot was well developed and engaging, and I rather enjoyed Leona Deakin‘s writing style. However, I did figure out a few of the outcomes, as it got a little predictable towards the end of the story.

The characters
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• I Dare You
  • The Family
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • Nothing Important Happened Today
  • 17 Church Row
  • Violet
  • Three Hours
  • The Other You
  • A Window Breaks
  • The Assistant
  • Six Wicked Reasons
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • Magpie
  • Stop at Nothing
  • She
  • Safe House
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)