Start by marking “Blood Sport” as Want to Read:
Blood Sport

Blood Sport

Jason is sure his sister, Becca, was murdered, but he's the only one who thinks so. After finding a photograph Becca kept hidden, he decides to infiltrate a boxing gym to prove that she didn't die accidentally. As a transgender kid, Jason's been fighting for as long as he can remember, and those skills are going to come in handy as he investigates. Quickly invited into the ...more
Expected publication: January 28th 2020 by Orca Book Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Blood Sport, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Sport

Start your review of Blood Sport
Isaiah
Jan 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
To see more reviews check out here.

I got an ARC of this book.

There are AMAZING parts of this book. I am mostly going to focus on those, because they are so very, very important to me.

1. The main character, Jason, is NEVER misgendered in the book. The characters never slip-up, especially the ones that know. There is a point in the book where Jason's birth name/dead name/"old name" comes up. Another character, not revealed who, is the one who corrects the issue.
2. Jason's transition is only talked
Anne
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
“Blood Sport” is a new offering in the Orca Soundings Hi-Lo reading series. Its intention is to address the need for more youth fiction for transgender or questioning teenagers. Tash McAdam, the author, identifies as queer and writes what “they” would like to have read in their teenage years.

The book is about Jason who is both transgender and a foster child who is close to aging out of the BC foster care system. The plan had been to join his older sister Becca when Jason turned eighteen.
Dani(elle)
Dec 25, 2019 rated it liked it
First the positives. I love that this is a YA novella about a trans guy. I have only read trans girl stories for young people so this is a nice change. Similarly but to a lesser extent, I like that the sport of choice is boxing. Boxing is generally not written about in and of itself and there are a lot of great storytelling opportunities available with it, some of which McAdam takes advantage of. I also like the complex feelings on display about Jason's living situation. Group homes are better ...more
Ashley
Dec 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed with this one. I haven't found many books featuring trans-characters so when I find one, I dive right in. This was a short, quick read. The plot, was eh. I expected there to be more of a mystery aspect to this, but it kind of gets forgotten. What I did like was the fact that the author didn't shy away from the main character using a binder, navigating boxing, and coming out to friends.

If there had been more written, I think this could have been an excellent story.
Alex
Dec 12, 2019 rated it liked it
I received a copy of Blood Sport from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

The premise was really promising and I was excited to read it. The writing itself is good, and it doesn’t feel awkward at all the way hi-lo books sometimes do. However, the plot and pacing of the plot were problematic for me. Everything happens very quickly and is wrapped up very quickly and there wasn’t nearly the amount of development there could have been. The mystery was solved way too easily,
Dana
dylan
Dec 27, 2019
Jaci
Dec 27, 2019

• We Are Blood and Thunder (We Are Blood and Thunder, #1)
  • Grimmer Intentions
  • Something Beautiful
  • Being Enough (Portland Piranhas #2)
  • His Favorite Player (Portland Piranhas #1)
  • On Duty (Smoke & Bullets, #1)
  • Chasing Fate (Copper Creek Shifters #1)
  • The Velveteen Daughter
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound #3)
  • Reproduction
  • Shots on Goal (Stick Side #3)
  • Tough Guy (Game Changers, #3)
  • We Three
  • Home Cooking: A Writer in the Kitchen
  • The Topeka School
  • The Thief (The Queen's Thief, #1)
  • The Lost Man
  • Swiss Watching: Inside Europe's Landlocked Island
Tash is a Welsh-Canadian author and teacher. They've been published in multiple anthologies, and their first personal release, a YA novella called SLAM was an international bestseller. Their debut series, The Psionics, is being released in full over 2019, from Nine Star Press.

When they're not writing, they're usually found teaching either Computer Science or English in Vancouver. Tash identifies