Start by marking “I Dare You” as Want to Read:
I Dare You

I Dare You

AN INNOCENT GAME. A SHOCKING CRIME. A COMMUNITY FULL OF SECRETS.

Mapledon, 1989
Two little girls were out playing a game of dares. Only one returned home.
The ten-year-old told police what she saw: village loner Bill ‘Creepy’ Cawley dragged her friend into his truck and disappeared.
No body was found, but her testimony sent Cawley to prison for murder. An open and shut case,

Published November 29th 2019 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about I Dare You, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of I Dare You
Lilith Black
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
E-ARC provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

PROS:
• Short chapters. They gave me the impression, and I am inclined to think that is more than an impression, that I was reading at a super speed, even though the book is over 400 pages. And just for the next times, the short chapters thing is a big ON for me! Also, it helped a lot at the mystery!
• Structure of the chapters. As I have said at the previous point, they helped me read faster, BUT! The more
Whispering Stories
Dec 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Reviewed on www.whisperingstories.com

1989 – Ten-year-old’s Jonie and Bella enjoyed playing the game ‘Knock, Knock, Ginger’ (we called it knock-a-door-run). The girls dare each other to knock on the doors of the residents of Mapledon. One house neither of the girls wanted to knock on was Billy ‘Creepy’ Cawley’s bungalow, however, if you have been dared to do it, you must!

July 1989, Jonie Hayes went missing. Despite no physical evidence and no body ever being found, Billy ‘Creepy’ Cawley was
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first read by Carrington and by no means my last. Each time I thought I had the answer, my “suspect compass” swivelled again. Unpredictable, surprising and with plenty of twists and turns, this book had copious amounts of suspense. With over 100 chapters, the pace was quick and the intensity did not lessen at all during this read. A great mystery!

The narrative is divided into present day and 30 years previous. We have perspectives from Lizzie and Anna (present day), coupled with a third
Mandy White
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sam Carrington's book always grab you and tell a fantastic story. I Dare You was no different and I really enjoying it. It is a twisty story that was not at all predictable. It was clear that the accused was not the guilty party but it was not obvious who the real criminal was. I was not even close when I read those final few chapters. It did take me a little while to get my head around what was happening, but once I figured it all. out I was really intrigued.

30 years ago a young girl
Lou
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Sam Carrington's books but I am pleased I took the plunge as I thoroughly enjoyed I Dare You. Billy Cawley is the local misfit in the small village of Mapledon and the children in the area used to love to subject him to the game Knock Knock Ginger by banging on his front door constantly and calling him Creepy Cawley. July arrives and the summer heralds the beginning of longer days in which the kids can play outside longer. It's 1989 but when ...more
Louise Wilson
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
1989: Two ten year old schoolgirls play a prank. But it goes horribly wrong. One of the girls is now missing. She was seen getting into the local weirdos truck.she was never seen again. Her body was never found. Bill Crawley was gi en a thirty year prison sentence.

Present day: Bill Crawley has been released on licence. The local villagers wonder if he will have the gall to show face and return to the house that has been empty for the past thirty years. Anna hasn't been back to her family,y home
Alayne Emmett
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was lent to me by my daughter who rated it very highly so, I was very interested to see what it was like. I wasn’t disappointed it was creepy at times and very tense.
Although I guessed the ending it didn’t spoil it for me at all. I haven’t read any of this author’s books before but, I will be looking out for the others in time.
Stina
Sam Carrington's style is not necessarily one that I would usually relish in other authors and while her previous one "The Missing Wife" was rather slow burning but it packed a punch by the end, I was still a little dubious going in with this one. I need not have feared...I DARE YOU was five star brilliant!!

I generally do not enjoy slow burn thrillers. I would rather they reel me in from the first page and get to the point to keep that ride going. However, despite being a slow build in her
Kat Dietrich

I Dare You by Sam Carrington is a psychological thriller.

First, let me thank NetGalley, the publisher Avon Books, and of course the author, for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

My Synopsis: (No major reveals, but if concerned, skip to My Opinions)

The year is 1989. Billy Cawley has never fit in with the people in the small village of Mapledon. When his wife died, it got worse. He became the town crazy, and all the kids tormented him.
Michelle Ryles
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs-read
What a firecracker of a thriller Sam Carrington his written with her new novel, I Dare You; it's creepy, fast-paced and bursting to the brim with secrets. The characters are so well developed that I detested some and felt complete empathy for others. The whole story is so multi-layered it's like peeling an onion with a secret at its core that will bring tears to the eyes of one of the characters.

I got so angry with the characters when I was reading I Dare You because the children of Mapledon are
Shalini
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Can a secret hidden for 30 years cause havoc even today?

Yes! Yes! Yes! Especially if author Sam Carrington had written it. A brilliant book, the best way to start the new year.

2 girls played a Knock, knock game on a man ostracized by the entire village until one came back and the other was lost forever. The man was charged with murder and sent to prison. But he was released now, and secrets had to be revealed.

Wow! The blurb and the premise of the story pulled me in. The author played on my
Andrea Pole
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I Dare You by Sam Carrington is yet another compulsive read from an author who continues to raise the bar. I was pulled into this multilayered mystery from the first page, and the superbly executed plot held me captivated from beginning to end.

In 1989, in the village of Mapledon, two little girls are playing a game of dares when one of them goes missing. Ten year old Jonie Hayes is never seen again, and the tightly knit community is quick to accuse and condemn local loner Billy 'Creepy' Cawley
Nicole
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really solid psychological thriller

I really enjoyed this book because it incorporated some of my favourite thriller tropes. 1. Being set in a small town and 2. Something bad happening, in this case a girl going missing and someone 30 years later trying to find the truth

I thought it was really well written, and I liked the fact it was told from mutiple perspectives and timelines but was never confusing

However, I did feel that this book was slightly too long and the middle did drag a
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very good mystery. The attention to detail is what draws you into this book. There are layers pulled back slowly to determine who murdered whom, building the tension in a way you just have to keep reading. The connections between the characters are intriguing, and I had fun trying to figure out all of the pieces to the puzzle.

This was such an intriguing book. There are a lot of twists and turns. Just when you thought you understood what was going on the story-line took another turn. I
Joanna Park
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’m a huge fan of this author as I always find her books to be very enjoyable, gripping thrillers and I Dare You was no exception.

Firstly the author does a really good job of setting the scene for this story with the small village mentality vividly described so I felt like I was actually there watching everything unfold. From the first time we visit the village the reader gets the feeling that there’s something strange about it and this leads to a general feeling of unease throughout the book.
Denise
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
"Sometimes when you go digging you unearth things you're not looking for."

3.5 stars rounded up because it was quite the twisty tale and one I had to think about for a bit after I finished it in a single sitting tonight after only intending to read a few chapters.

In 1989, in a small town named Mapledon, two young girls are taunting a neighbor with a knock-knock-run game. At the end of the evening, 10-year-old Jonie Hayes would go missing and her friend, Bella's, testimony at the trial would put
Emma Shaw
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a roller-coaster ride! I was quickly gripped by this exhilarating thriller and found myself reading fervently, desperate for answers about what happened to ten-year-old Jonie Hayes, how the narrators were connected to it all, and what secrets the residents of Mapledon were hiding.

The story is told in dual timelines and is narrated by two women - Anna and Lizzie. We soon learn that both women lived in Mapledon as children but left for very different reasons: Anna because of bad memories of
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
I Dare You is the fifth novel to be released by Sam Carrington. Out now in digital format (Nov 29th) it will be published in paperback with Avon Books on Dec 12th. I Dare You is described as a ‘gripping crime thriller' and is a dual time novel jumping between 1989 and the present day in the very creepy village of Mapledon.

In 1989 two friends, Bella and Jonie, were out playing but only one came home. A manhunt was immediately escalated and the village went into lock-down but the body of the
Melanie’s reads
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t think I’ve ever flown through a book quite like I did with this one. Short snappy chapters and a completely gripping story had me absolutely hooked right from page one.

The characters all had their little secrets and were divided into two definitive groups, the parents and the children. Flashing back and forth from present day to 1989 we learn how the mothers regularly held drink and gossip nights under the guise of community meetings. These women are dangerous with their unproven gossip
Caitlyn Lynch
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Thirty years ago, a little girl went missing from a quiet Devon village, and nobody’s life was ever quite the same again. Now, the past has come calling and Anna must go back to Mapledon to find out the truth about what really happened to her friend. She’s not the only one who wants some answers about the past, though, and every question asked seems only to raise more, none of which anybody wants to answer.

Told in dual timelines between the events of 1989 and the present time of 2019, Sam
Mark
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
In 1989, Jonie & Bella were ten-year-old best friends who played ‘Knock, Knock, Ginger’ (we called it ‘Cherry Knocking’) on the door of Billy ‘Creepy’ Cawley’s bungalow. But things took a turn for the worst when Jonie disappeared and Bella’s evidence saw Creepy Cawley convicted of her murder and sentenced to thirty years in prison. When Billy is released, in 2019, Anna (Bella) goes back to her hometown as someone is nailing doll parts to her mothers front door. Could he be seeking revenge?
Karen Barber
Nov 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
How far would you go to protect your family? In I Dare You we see just how far some are prepared to go.
Our story begins with two ten year old friends, Bella and Jonie. They have been friends for years, and Bella was the last to see Jonie. Jonie’s body has never been found. Her killer is behind bars, and thirty years on he is about to be released.
In the present day Bella (now known as Anna) is called by her mother to come and help. Parts of a doll have been found attached to her door, and inside
Susan J. Barrett
Jan 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A grippy page-turner set in rural Devon, with plenty of foreshadowing and twists and turns to keep you guessing!
Katie Lee
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a fantastic and gripping read! I definitely recommend
Melanie Jo
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't expecting much from this book but man, I was wrong. This book was nerve wracking till the end trying to figure it all out. It was enjoyable and I really liked it. You will never guess how it ends or think you know what's going to happen. Great read.

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Anne
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!!! Great characters, great story line, and the ending...., did not see that coming!
Well worth reading, I found this novel hard to put down!
Kat
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well Creepy Cawley, creepy kids and secrets upon secrets from a whole variety of people that all seen to have a lot to hide this is a read that gripped me from page one and kept me guessing till the end. Billy Cawley has been released after spending 30 years in jail for the abduction and suspected murder of Jonie a child from the village where he lives possibly as retribution for his own daughter having been taken into care when villagers raised concerns about her welfare. But not all is as it ...more
Sue Frances
Oct 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Told over two time zones I Dare You grabbed my interest right away. It's quite a sinister read full of shocks. Children aren't always as innocent as they seem. Or are they?

I will definitely read more of this author's books. I recommend I Dare You as a well written psychological thriller.

Thanks to NetGalley and the author for the opportunity to read this book.
Vikkie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, it was like spending time with the creepiest children ever. I didn’t expect to love this as much as I do. I definitely recommend this book. An absolutely fantastic read which I didn’t want to put down.
Emma Shaw
Dec 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Lies We Hide
  • Magpie
  • The Assistant
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • Why She Ran
  • The Perfect Mother
  • Single
  • The Dilemma
  • The Argument
  • Gone
  • The Girls in the Lake (Beth Adams #2)
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • Lock Me In
  • The Man She Married
  • The Blossom Twins (Detective Natalie Ward #5)
  • Perfect Kill (D.I. Callanach, #6)
  • The Silent House
Sam Carrington lives in Devon with her husband, two border terriers and a cat. She has three adult children and a new grandson! She worked for the NHS for fifteen years, during which time she qualified as a nurse. Following the completion of a psychology degree she went to work for the prison service as an Offending Behaviour Programme Facilitator. Her experiences within this field inspired her ...more