Start by marking “Girls of Summer (Girls of Summer, #5)” as Want to Read:
Girls of Summer (Girls of Summer, #5)

Girls of Summer

(Girls of Summer #5)

The first four books of the Girls of Summer series introduced Emma Blakeley and Jamie Maxwell, two athletes with bright soccer futures. Now, in Girls of Summer, the US Women's National Team (USWNT) is in its final round of preparations before the 2015 World Cup. For Jamie, a starting spot on the World Cup roster would be a dream come true. For Emma, the summer of 2015 offe ...more
Published July 6th 2019 by Second Growth Books

To ask other readers questions about Girls of Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girls of Summer

Lexxi Kitty
Even though this is a recap of what occurred during the 2015 Women’s World Cup, the sports action was still quite thrilling to read. Especially those games with meat in their descriptions (I mean, at least two games were just completely skipped over with a little bit of thinking after the fact about what happened – they played a game, that night they rest/exercise/etc., next chapter starts after the next two group play games occur (course not much happened in those two games, scoring wise, but . ...more
CLo
Jul 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A nice addition to the series. This one focus a little more about the team dynamic than just Jamie and Emma. It also is surrounded by the SCOTUS gay marriage law passed. And finally, FINALLY, the World Cup games. While do I enjoy that the book did circle around equality, I do wonder if the setting of the World Cup would have been better bl held in the US than Canada. I personally don't know what Canada's laws are regarding gay marriage so I am not sure how they and even other countries would fee ...more
Sandra
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-f, family, romance, series, sport
Finally, we are going to Canada for the World Cup. This book centers around the World Cup. The last preparations and then all the games till the final. Even though most everybody knew how the US team played in 2015, it was very entertaining to witness the road to and in Canada. I loved that it has more soccer in this installment than in the previous books.

It gives some insight into team preparations and rules during team time, even if it isn’t exactly like this. I never played sport as a pro, on
Sophie
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First things first:
It has been all I had hoped for. Obviously perfectly timed release.
Half of the book is spend at the world cup tournament. So I feel like this book had more soccer in it than the others in the series. But it was never boring.

Only thing I have to mention as negative is: I had a really hard time getting through the game against Germany. I mean they don't even get a PK or a corner goal? Seriously? That's like where they usually always score. But to be fair, I see that I might h
Paradise Lost
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
Seriously, emma and jamie = relationship goals! I LOVE these two, especially emma!

This was so great - I felt like I was reliving the 2015 world cup. All the plays, all the players. And it's so cool to see which characters remind you of which players. I felt as though I had a front row seat to the wnt and all its ensuing drama. Especially with the womens team being so front and centre these days, it was the perfect time for this series!

I was actually so inspired I sat down and watched all the 2
Della
Jul 27, 2019 rated it liked it
The USA team plays at the 2015 World Cup from coast to coast in Canada. I enjoyed this book even though it felt written in a bullet point manner. It missed having a natural flow.
I am a huge soccer fan and followed Every game of the World Cup since 1991 when it started. Reading about the games brought back a lot of fond memories.
I was not impressed with the Canadian team bashing in the novel. They were unfairly represented. All the other teams were written from a base of respect.
3 stars
Ty
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Kate Christie is one of my favorite writers. Her prose is excellent, and I appreciate how she allows her readers to get to know the characters so well, and allows her readers to go on a journey along with those characters. The first two books in this series are both excellent, because they do just that.

I am less enamored with books three, four, and five. For me, they felt like pure exposition, just a description of what the characters were experiencing on their journey to the World Cup. There w
Keian Eli
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Omg!!!! Totally LUVED IT!! I knew they won, yet it felt like going through it again, winning the cup that is!! It was also made better because the Team had won yesterday, I had just finished the audio book like 10 minutes before book 5 was released, and of course , Cup #4 was JUST WON!!!!!!!!!!
These women in the GoS series are amazing, and not just #BlakeWell, they do Rock and I Totally luv them!! But the cast of this series are amazing! Kate has pulled fiction from non-fiction in such an amazi
Maz Tucker
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book

I really love this book. I started reading the series around the beginning of the 2019 Women’s World Cup, so it was good to understand what the players were going through. I love the way it is a book of fiction but the author has stayed true to the facts for the score lines and the main news item at the time.
Perfect book for and lesbian sports fans.
No Escape Like a Book
Aug 07, 2019
Ellie
Katsa BlueMercy
Jul 24, 2019
Kate Christie, author of In the Company of Women, Gay Pride & Prejudice, and the Girls of Summer series, was born and raised in Kalamazoo, MI. A graduate of Smith College, she lives near Seattle with her wife, their three daughters, and the family dogs.

To join her mailing list and receive email notifications of new releases, giveaways, and other news, visit https://katechristie.wordpress.com/m

Girls of Summer (5 books)
  • Training Ground (Girls of Summer, #1)
  • Game Time (Girls of Summer, #2)
  • Outside the Lines (Girls of Summer, #3)
  • The Road to Canada (Girls of Summer, #4)