Start by marking “Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know” as Want to Read:
Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know

Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know

Told in alternating narratives that bridge centuries, the latest novel from New York Times bestselling author Samira Ahmed traces the lives of two young women fighting to write their own stories and escape the pressure of familial burdens and cultural expectations in worlds too long defined by men.

It’s August in Paris and 17-year-old Khayyam Maquet—American, French,
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Soho Teen

To ask other readers questions about Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know

Start your review of Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Two teens unravel the mystery of a Muslim woman mentioned in letters from Alexandar Dumas. Yes.
Lulu (the library leopard)
ok i'm gonna admit some slight confusion that this isn't related to lord byron but this also sounds AWESOME
SanaBanana
Oct 22, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
dude, this sounds AWESOME!!
Cheska the Great is Not Okay
Somebody please tell me this isn't the final cover.
Fanna

rep
Patti Sabik
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
Terrific romance and mystery while weaving history throughout. I was compelled to research where fact and fiction met when I closed the book because the threads were woven together so seamlessly and believably. Such a fun book with compelling and thought-provoking undertones made this a page-turning read. Characters that were likeable and real; with thoughts that mimicked my own as the story and relationships unfolded. The settings of modern day Paris juxtaposed with 19th century India ...more
N
This book is gorgeous. I love the complexities of personalities and relationships. The convergence of history, story, and the present. How stories change and morph through time. How we skip over some stories or manipulate them for our own gains. Such a wonderful look at complicated emotions.
Sana
Sep 10, 2019 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts  ·  review of another edition
Okay, this cover is everythingggg
Cassandra {semi-hiatus}
Yeah, I am totally here for this. Have you seen this summary??? It's glorious
The Artisan Geek
29/11/19
The premise sounds so good! I love historical fiction! A huge thank you to Soho Teen for gifting me a copy of this book!! :)

30/9/19
I read Ahmed's Internment a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it! Really excited to see more of her work come out!

You can find me on
Shelves: ya, 2020, 2020-to-read
sign me the fUCK UP
Amanda Bishop
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Samira Ahmed takes on art history, family secrets, and romance set in Paris and spanning the lives of two Muslim women across time.

Khayyam arrives in Paris, like she does every summer, feeling the weight of failure and criticism after her art school admission essay is ripped apart. Not only is she crushed by this defeat she is also feeling the sting of a recent breakup between her and her not-quite boyfriend. When she runs into a descendent of Alexandre
Jeff Matlow
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Disclaimer: I was only able to get halfway through this book before I stopped due to apathy.

I wish the editors.forced the author to do a few more rewrites. Add in elements that create real intrigue. For there to be a hero, there has to be a villain. There is no villain in this book. There is nothing on the line - nothing is at risk. Which in turn just makes the hero a regular old schlub like you and me. And that's not interesting.

I have two main problems with this book. The first is that Im
Rachel
Nov 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Another great YA book from Samira Ahmed! History and present day intertwine in this novel about a Desi-French-American girl spending the summer in Paris. When she crosses paths with the however-many-greats grandson of Alexandre Dumas, the subject of her recently rejected admission essay to the art history program of her dreams, who becomes her co-conspirator in an investigation into a possible connection between Dumas, Byron, Delacroix, and a mysterious woman depicted in all of their work. Lots ...more
Debbie Gascoyne
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, arc, ya
This was an absorbing and entertaining literary mystery. Kayyam is spending the summer in Paris with her parents. After meeting a young descendent of Alexandre Dumas, she becomes involved in the hunt for a treasure: literary, artistic or personal. Interwoven with her story is that of Laila, a young Muslim woman who may have influenced the work of Byron, Dumas and Eugene Delacroix. As a scholar of this period, I found the imaginative connection between these characters intriguing and not ...more
Kat
#MadBadDangerousToKnow #NetGalley
Another enchanting book from Samira Ahmed, I love this author so much. Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know is a lovely book filled with history, art, and Paris, France. The intertwining of two very amazing young women, growing up on different paths, but not so different as we begin to see. The book is a fresh look at how our lives can be transformed and we can be our own champions!
Kat
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
#MadBadDangerousToKnow #NetGalley
Erikka
Dec 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My love for Samira Ahmed knows no bounds. Her writing is simply amazing. But i could not get into this book. I tried and I simply didn't care about the art geek and her French love interest. It didn't fit the mold I was expecting after Internment. I'm sure this book has an audience, but it isn't me. DNFed at 35% completion.
Lauren
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
4.5 overall - I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I loved the art history theme surrounding Alexandre Dumas and his love with a mysterious woman lost to history. But I had a hard time staying 100% interested. Not sure why, even having thought about it for a while. I also did like the Leila viewpoints and how it connected to the main story.
Susie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I dig me some Samira Ahmed. And this combo of historical fiction, mystery sleuthing, romance, and cultural education was just what I needed! I always feel just a little smarter and a whole lot inspired by her books and this one is no exception. I look forward to recommending it to my kids at school and to my own daughter. ...more
♠️ TABI ♠️
this sounds glorious
Shonna Prentice
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All of Samira Ahmed’s books have been amazing. This one sounds like it will be too. I can’t wait to get a copy to read!!!
Zoë ☆
Nov 14, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Samira Ahmed = yes please!!!
Nicole George
Iany Mcgrawn
Nov 23, 2018

• Clean Getaway
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Every Reason We Shouldn't
  • Symptoms of a Heartbreak
  • Yes No Maybe So
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Ember Queen (Ash Princess Trilogy, #3)
  • The Man with No Borders
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • Stieg Larssons erfenis: Zijn jacht op de moordenaar van Olof Palme
  • The Penguin Book of Japanese Short Stories
  • The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)
  • White Like Her: My Family's Story of Race and Racial Passing
  • King of Fools (The Shadow Game, #2)
  • Supernova (Renegades, #3)
  • Witchnapped in Westerham (Paranormal Investigation Bureau, #1)
SAMIRA AHMED was born in Bombay, India, and grew up in Batavia, Illinois, in a house that smelled like fried onions, spices, and potpourri. She currently resides in the Midwest. She’s lived in Vermont, New York City, and Kauai, where she spent a year searching for the perfect mango.

A graduate of the University of Chicago, she taught high school English for seven years, worked to create over 70