Start by marking “Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know” as Want to Read:
Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know

Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know

Told in alternating narratives that bridge centuries, the latest novel from New York Times bestselling author Samira Ahmed traces the lives of two young women fighting to write their own stories and escape the pressure of familial burdens and cultural expectations in worlds too long defined by men.

It’s August in Paris and 17-year-old Khayyam Maquet—American, French,
Expected publication: April 7th 2020 by Soho Teen

Start your review of Mad, Bad & Dangerous To Know
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Two teens unravel the mystery of a Muslim woman mentioned in letters from Alexandar Dumas. Yes.
Lulu (the library leopard)
Oct 21, 2017 marked it as tbr-unreleased
ok i'm gonna admit some slight confusion that this isn't related to lord byron but this also sounds AWESOME
Saajid Hosein
Jan 17, 2020 rated it liked it
*Requested and ARC in exchange for honest review.

3.5 for now. Will write a review soon.
Dany
OH MY GOODNESS

My heart was soaring through the book with the amazing plot and fun mystery.

Khayyam is in Paris for her Summer vacation where she is ridiculed for her art essay for a Young scholar prize. After stepping in dog poop and feeling like a total screw up , Khayyam meets a cute french boy who might actually be a solution to her love life and her chance to get her Young Scholar Prize .

Why should you care / read / pre order Mad , Bad & Dangerous to know? Lemme explain.

Characters

Our MC
SanaBanana
Oct 22, 2017 marked it as to-read
dude, this sounds AWESOME!!
Patti Sabik
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Terrific romance and mystery while weaving history throughout. I was compelled to research where fact and fiction met when I closed the book because the threads were woven together so seamlessly and believably. Such a fun book with compelling and thought-provoking undertones made this a page-turning read. Characters that were likeable and real; with thoughts that mimicked my own as the story and relationships unfolded. The settings of modern day Paris juxtaposed with 19th century India ...more
N
This book is gorgeous. I love the complexities of personalities and relationships. The convergence of history, story, and the present. How stories change and morph through time. How we skip over some stories or manipulate them for our own gains. Such a wonderful look at complicated emotions.
Cheska the Great is Not Okay
Nov 12, 2019 marked it as to-buy-soon
Somebody please tell me this isn't the final cover.
Kim
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book. I definitely recommend it—4.5 Stars. I really enjoyed the characters and the mix of art, literature, culture, and history! Added bonus of Romance light and mystery sleuthing.
Debbie Gascoyne
Dec 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019, arc, ya
This was an absorbing and entertaining literary mystery. Kayyam is spending the summer in Paris with her parents. After meeting a young descendent of Alexandre Dumas, she becomes involved in the hunt for a treasure: literary, artistic or personal. Interwoven with her story is that of Laila, a young Muslim woman who may have influenced the work of Byron, Dumas and Eugene Delacroix. As a scholar of this period, I found the imaginative connection between these characters intriguing and not ...more
The Artisan Geek
Sep 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
29/11/19
The premise sounds so good! I love historical fiction! A huge thank you to Soho Teen for gifting me a copy of this book!! :)

30/9/19
I read Ahmed's Internment a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it! Really excited to see more of her work come out!

You can find me on
Youtube | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Website
Susie
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I dig me some Samira Ahmed. And this combo of historical fiction, mystery sleuthing, romance, and cultural education was just what I needed! I always feel just a little smarter and a whole lot inspired by her books and this one is no exception. I look forward to recommending it to my kids at school and to my own daughter. ...more
Zoë ☆
Nov 14, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2020-releases
Samira Ahmed = yes please!!!
Sana
Oct 21, 2017 marked it as to-read-so-bad-it-hurts
Okay, this cover is everythingggg
Kendra
Dec 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I should have loved this book. It has everything I like--smart, diverse protagonists who are worldly and curious; secret history; lost artworks; fascinating clues; bilingual jokes. But I have to pan it. Because despite all of these good things--and a fun story about two young people tracking down a missing painting on the estate of Alexandre Dumas--at the end one of the characters reveals that he's stolen a sketch from a state archive. He claims that no one knew it was there and that no one will ...more
Jennifer Hottinger
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Khayyam is spending her summer in France with her mom and dad. She is American, French, Indian, and Muslim and would love to study art in college. Recently, she failed to win a writing contest to get into the college of her dreams. Her boyfriend is posting pictures with other girls and seemed to dismiss Khayyam before she left. All is not lost when she meets Alexandre Dumas.

Leila is struggling, as she is trying to hide her love for a man. Khayyam and Alexandre are researching and trying to
priya
Jan 21, 2020 marked it as to-read
i need to know why more people aren’t hyped for this book. muslim indian american rep? alexandre dumas? lord byron? city of light? told in alternating povs? sign me up!
Sacha
Jan 19, 2020 added it
I received this ARC from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review. That review will be posted upon publication.
Kim
Jan 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
This delightful read was like a YA feminist reboot of an art history mystery, á la Da Vinci Code or National Treasure. Except the main character was such an interesting perspective: American and French dual citizen, Indian Muslim with parents who are literature buffs. I have a newfound interest in Sufi poets. #herstory and a little ranty at times, but I'm here for it because there were also moments of writing that were so gorgeous (The food descriptions! The love letters!) I had to reread them.
Kate
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-reads
This was my final read of 2019, and it was one of my favorites of the year! Khayyam is a feminist badass but also a totally relatable character, and I love the way that her present-day story is intertwined with Leila's story from two centuries behind. Highly recommend!
Cat Peters
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Special thanks to the publisher and @netgalley for the ARC of Mad, Bad, & Dangerous to Know. If you liked Love, Hate, & Other Filters by Samira Ahmed you will love this book! The story, told in alternating voices between two young Muslim women, spans centuries, unravels an art mystery, and features a love story. You will want to add this one to your TBR list and make a note that the official release date is April 7, 2020.
Deborah Maroulis
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It's too bad I already use Love, Hate & Other Filters in my class, because I'd really, really like to add Mad, Bad, and Dangerous To Know. Not only is it a brilliant story written in the vein of a YA Possession, there are enough historical and literary gems to keep an English class busy for an entire semester. I loved this story and the complicated multi-cultural characters so much!
Jeff Matlow
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Disclaimer: I was only able to get halfway through this book before I stopped due to apathy.

I wish the editors.forced the author to do a few more rewrites. Add in elements that create real intrigue. For there to be a hero, there has to be a villain. There is no villain in this book. There is nothing on the line - nothing is at risk. Which in turn just makes the hero a regular old schlub like you and me. And that's not interesting.

I have two main problems with this book. The first is that Im
Amanda Bishop
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Samira Ahmed takes on art history, family secrets, and romance set in Paris and spanning the lives of two Muslim women across time.

Khayyam arrives in Paris, like she does every summer, feeling the weight of failure and criticism after her art school admission essay is ripped apart. Not only is she crushed by this defeat she is also feeling the sting of a recent breakup between her and her not-quite boyfriend. When she runs into a descendent of Alexandre
Ele B.
Dec 18, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: reviewed
The title is already a Lord Byron reference. Need I say more? This book better not disappoint me.
Erikka
Dec 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
My love for Samira Ahmed knows no bounds. Her writing is simply amazing. But i could not get into this book. I tried and I simply didn't care about the art geek and her French love interest. It didn't fit the mold I was expecting after Internment. I'm sure this book has an audience, but it isn't me. DNFed at 35% completion.
Rachel
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great YA book from Samira Ahmed! History and present day intertwine in this novel about a Desi-French-American girl spending the summer in Paris. When she crosses paths with the however-many-greats grandson of Alexandre Dumas, the subject of her recently rejected admission essay to the art history program of her dreams, who becomes her co-conspirator in an investigation into a possible connection between Dumas, Byron, Delacroix, and a mysterious woman depicted in all of their work. Lots ...more
Kat
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
#MadBadDangerousToKnow #NetGalley
Another enchanting book from Samira Ahmed, I love this author so much. Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know is a lovely book filled with history, art, and Paris, France. The intertwining of two very amazing young women, growing up on different paths, but not so different as we begin to see. The book is a fresh look at how our lives can be transformed and we can be our own champions!

Merged review:

#MadBadDangerousToKnow #NetGalley
Another enchanting book from Samira
Lauren
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
4.5 overall - I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I loved the art history theme surrounding Alexandre Dumas and his love with a mysterious woman lost to history. But I had a hard time staying 100% interested. Not sure why, even having thought about it for a while. I also did like the Leila viewpoints and how it connected to the main story.
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
Titled reeled me in, synopsis sounds good enough to get me to stay

• Look Both Ways
  • The Okay Witch
  • The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek
  • It Sounded Better in My Head
  • The Lucky Ones
  • Every Reason We Shouldn't
  • The Map from Here to There (The Start of Me and You, #2)
  • Torpedoed: The True Story of the World War II Sinking of "The Children's Ship"
  • The Oracle Code
  • Clean Getaway
  • Pumpkinheads
  • The Tyrant's Tomb (The Trials of Apollo, #4)
  • Beverly, Right Here
  • Diamond City (Diamond City, #1)
  • Slay
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • Ruthless Gods (Something Dark and Holy, #2)
  • Of Curses and Kisses (St. Rosetta's Academy, #1)
SAMIRA AHMED was born in Bombay, India, and grew up in Batavia, Illinois, in a house that smelled like fried onions, spices, and potpourri. She currently resides in the Midwest. She’s lived in Vermont, New York City, and Kauai, where she spent a year searching for the perfect mango.

A graduate of the University of Chicago, she taught high school English for seven years, worked to create over 70