Start by marking “Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)

Tithe

(Modern Faerie Tales #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  64,592 ratings  ·  3,526 reviews
Welcome to the realm of very scary faeries!

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two r
Published April 2004 by Simon Pulse (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tithe, please sign up.
Aimee Marie Le Roi It does indeed! Books one and three both feature the same group of characters two of whom have a romantic storyline; book two has a different set of…moreIt does indeed! Books one and three both feature the same group of characters two of whom have a romantic storyline; book two has a different set of characters where there is a romance plotline(less)
Blakeley I suppose that is mostly up to their parents discretion. I read this book when I was about 15 but if I was any younger my parents would not have been…moreI suppose that is mostly up to their parents discretion. I read this book when I was about 15 but if I was any younger my parents would not have been happy. There is alcohol consumption by teenagers almost immediately in the book as well as swearing and some sexual themes. Tithe contains the situations that most teenagers would come across in normal high school life, except for the faeries of course. Whenever you're dealing with a gritty faerie tale it's important to remember that these are not your average Disney fairies. The Unseelie fae are cruel and violent and even your "good" Seelie faeries have a twisted sense of right and wrong. There is also a death in the story. It has been a few years since I have read this so I might be forgetting a few things. Of course it is up to you if you think your 11 or 12 year old can deal with these themes but I would personally wait until my children are a little older.(less)
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingVampire Academy by Richelle MeadMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
The Best Urban Fantasy
3,750 books — 11,350 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningTithe by Holly BlackWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
988 books — 2,257 voters

More lists with this book...

Elise (TheBookishActress)
If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.

This is one of those rare few books that really shows me why we need a 3 1/2 star rating, and I don’t like to give 1/2 stars. This… was so fun, and a four star book for me, and also it bugged the shit out of me to the point where I texted someone to bitch about it.
But… I honestly had so much fun. So let’s just go with I loved it and let it be.

Let’s get the complaining out of the way: god, I fucking hate 2004 YA. I mean,
Shannon
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to be up front... this series? You will either love it or hate it. Personally, I absolutely love gritty real-life/fantasy stories when they're written well, and I think Holly Black does the combination so much freaking justice. It doesn't try too hard to be overly badass. Kaye is such a great lead -- although I don't always see myself in her actions throughout the book, I still liked her because she was real. I never got the sense that Holly Black was trying to impress me; she was just ...more
Julie Kagawa
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Tithe is a very raw, very dark faerie tale. While not suitable for younger readers (lots of swearing, random torture and violence, and mature themes), I loved its take on the darker side of faerie. It deals with faerie themes like Changelings and the knowing of one's True Name very well, and Roiben is probably my favorite faery hero of all time. (Kind of like Sephiroth. If you know who Sephiroth is, you'll understand.)

The writing was a teensy bit sporadic and hard to follow at first. I found my
manda
Ugh. I don't know where to start with this one so I'm gonna jump right in. I didn't like it. It was all just a raging bunch of WTF?! for me. I mean, it was random. My brain hurts so this isn't going to be a very coherent review.

Before I go to my detailed ravings, it's best if I gave a brief overview of what this book was about. It's the story of Kaye, a changeling, who was put under a glamour to hide her true green-skinned self and lives with her rockstar wannabe "mother", Ellen. Her life ultima
destiny ♎ [howling libraries]
Holly Black’s writing was my first introduction to fae fiction; as a kid, I was obsessed with all sorts of fae mythology, but typically was limited to nonfiction until the first time I saw Tithe on the “new” shelf at my library. I must have checked this book out and reread it four or five times within the first couple of years, but this was my first reread since I was a preteen, and I had no idea what to expect!

If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.

I had forgott
Eryn
1 / 5

There’s no way I’m going to write an entire review for this. Nope. I'm just proud I managed to skim and not give up entirely; that's an achievement on its own.

Let me sum this book up for you: Imagine a story filled with only unlikeable/trashy characters (there wasn’t a single person or thing I liked—I swear, everything was terrible), a nonexistent/poor plot, cliche male jerks that are accepted because they’re (of course) “extremely attractive," etc., and all of that tied in with choppy/
Melanie
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was a cringey kid, but to be real... I'm still a cringey adult! So, I really need to reread this and give it a proper review. But in the meantime, I talk about how much this book changed my life in my review for The Cruel Prince!

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch
Mary-Beth
Nov 20, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, romance, fantasy
Kaye is obviously incredibly lovely and then it turns out she's a magical fairy. Sure her life is hard, but it's the fairies making it that way because she's so important that they're all out to get her. Look, what I'm saying is, it's like the author tried to think of all the coolest latest trends among teenagers and tried to mash them into a fairy story. Kaye is also not anyone's typical teenager. She has super special protagonist syndrome.

I found the Faerie described by the author quite intere
C.G. Drews
I was warned Tithe was going to be dark. To which I thought, "Ooh, yes likee me please. DARK BOOKS ARE GREAT." Buuuut I have to admit, it wasn't THAT dark. After one reads books like Red Rising and An Ember in the Ashes....ha. It takes a lot to chill me. BUT ANYWAY. I did like Tithe even though I thought it was going to be more evilly darker. Obviously there are plenty of creeptastic faeries and death everywhere and blood splatters and YEAH IT WAS QUITE GOOD AND I LIKED IT. I confess I didn't lo ...more
Amber Baker
Jun 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Amber by: list on Amazon
If I could have given it 0 stars I would have. To publish this as a young adult novel is horrifying. I wouldn't read past 30 pages it was too offensive and to think it was published as content for young adults is terrible. It would be R rated as a movie. Not only was the f word used liberally throughout the few pages I read, teens were drinking, smoking and hinting at being sexually active. NOT something I would want my kids to read, or myself. I normally wouldn't dream of rating a book without ...more
Beatriz
Reto #29 PopSugar 2018: Un libro acerca de o ambientado en Halloween
La verdad tenía altas expectativas con este libro, las que sólo se vieron cumplidas en el último tercio, en que la acción y el argumento van in crescendo hasta un final que, para mí, fue absolutamente satisfactorio. En retrospectiva, lo que se narra en las dos primeras partes era necesario para el desenlace, pero el estilo no atrapa, incluso es un poco aburrido. Afortunadamente la lectura es simple y rápida, por lo que tampoco
Fables&Wren
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
So I didn't LOVE Cruel Prince (I liked it, though!), but I did love Darkest Part of the Forest. So let's see what else Holly Black has for me!
Thomas
Aug 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
"Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale" is about sixteen year old Kaye Fierch, a girl who has been moving around with her single mother for her entire life. At a young age she has been able to see and interact with these things called faeries, although no one believed her. Then one day, she enchants a boy into falling in love with her and makes a broken, splintered horse move. Soon after that event she meets a young faerie night named Roiben, and that is just the start of her faerie adventure.

Hm... okay,
Juushika
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: status-borrowed
As a child, Kaye had faery friends; throughout her life, she has always been unusual. Now, following an barfight, Kaye and her would-be-rock star mother return to Kaye's childhood home. There, Kaye meets another faery, and discovers that her childhood friends really do exist and that she is far more unusual than she ever suspected. She soon falls into the middle of the power struggle between two rival faery courts, a struggle which could easily spill into the human world. Tithe is a mix of wonde ...more
Natalie
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I ended up reading this book by accident. It was recommended to my 14 year old, Gini. She began the book and then brought it to me saying that she didn't feel it was appropriate for kids and that she, personally, had no interest in a heroine who consistently made such poor life choices. Well! I decided to read it to see what the deal was. This book was recommended for kids 14 and up and Gini has read books that were definitely adult reading level and she LOVES faery.

The problem with this book f
Candace Robinson
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm mad at myself for not reading this book a long time ago! It was so good and reminded me of when I was in high school before cell phones and social media consumed our entire lives!

I liked Kaye! I felt she was relatable. Yes, she may be a high school drop out, drink, curse and smoke, but not every teen in the world is a perfect angel. And Roiben! Loved, loved, loved him!!!

This world that Holly Black has created is amazing! I love her writing and her descriptions and that everything isn't perfe
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
I read this book in one day!!!! It is that good! A bit dark, fun and full of magic. And the love story is a huge plus!!!! If you enjoy Faerie and everything related to it, you will love this book. A can't wait to read Valiant!!!!
Tatiana
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, ya, urban-fantasy
He slid out of bed, scratching his balls through once-white briefs, and sat down in front of the computer.

Ok, now I remember WHY I hated Holly Black's writing before finally enjoying White Cat. Too much grossness! That's why. Everything is in Tithe is disgusting and grimy (except for the love interest, thank goodness for that!) - if it's nail polish - it's chipped, if it's bed linen - it's dirty, if it's hair - it's greasy. Yuck! Apparently I am more used to the gross now, because this time I l
Giulia

Half the fun's in lies we tell ourselves.

My favorite thing about faerie books is always their eerie atmosphere. I don't mind gory horror, but what I truly love is that creepy feeling I get with mysterious and intriguing books like this one. And while Tithe did not leave me in awe, it was still very well-written, and it kept me hooked from beginning to end.

Holly Black is one of my favorite fantasy authors. She wrote The Curse Workers trilogy, my favorite urban fantasy series of all t
chandler ainsley ❁
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, fantasy
“What’s next on the faerie agenda?”
“I get sacrificed, I guess.”
“Great. When is that?”

oh, holly black. you never cease to make me laugh, gasp, and shake my head. this book was no exception, and for a debut novel (WRITTEN IN 2002!!!) no less.

book follows a girl named kaye who has always thought the world had a little magic. after moving back to her hometown and saving an injured fae knight, she figures out that she's right. she also discovers there might be a little more to her personal history th
Chelsea
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Series Review

Tithe: 3 stars
Valiant: 2 stars (barely)
Ironside: 3 1/2 stars

I am a huge fan of Holly Black, specifically her writing style. Both The Darkest Part of the Forest and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown were five star books for me, and this is coming from someone who typically gets bored by fantasy after a chapter or two.

There’s something about Holly Black’s writing style that is so lovely and dark and perfectly fitting for the stories she tells.

With the release of The Cruel Prince, which i
Seth
Nov 06, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Summary: comfortably predictable storyline with some huge plot holes, but more than fun enough to read. Just make sure it doesn't put off Weetzie Bat or other masterpieces of the YA genre.

This book is marred by one major flaw that doesn't affect most of the YA set: bad things happen--both on- and off-stage--to sympathetic characters around our protagonist and no one cares. Several "best friend" character die, the two mothers are left bereft of their children, a small child is abandoned to the f
Rebecca ♥ Warner, Kishan, Magnus ♥
This was so much fun! I started out very unsure about it, since it was recommended to me by a The Iron Fey fan, I was expecting something else. But Tithe is far darker than The Iron King. It was very thematic and I was thrown off by the heroine's heavy drinking, smoking, swearing, and shoplifting, a girl of 16. But once I got acquainted with its world different is not necessarily bad.

Kaye attracts the attention of a gorgeous fey of the Unseelie Court, a knight. Roiben has the whole victim-of-cir
Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten*
Hidden Gem buddy re/read with the YA & Beyond crew!

I find it highly intriguing how John Milton & Paradise Lost show up in this book right when I'm starting Traitor Angels. Just a thought.

It went fast, but I'm glad I decided to reread this. I blew through nearly half of it in two hours last night and wrapped up the rest this afternoon -- I think it's a testament to Holly Black's skill that even though I flew through this book I was never bored and skimmed minimally. I liked how the world
Kimberlayy º
Dec 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horrible, sci-fi
i couldn't finish this book and i WON'T finish it. it is horribly stupid and swears like 10 times a page. it is all about cigarettes, drinking, and freakky people in dark alleys. WHAT THE HECK?! i couldn't believe what was happening in the book; it was disgusting!! ew! ew! i learned a lesson from this book: DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER!
Rachael
Apr 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Kaye has always been different. She’s Japanese and a natural blond. She stopped going to school when she was fourteen because her musician mother kept them moving around. But what made the other kids really back away were the stories about her friends Gristle, Spike, and Lutie-loo. Everyone thought they were imaginary because no one besides Kaye could see these creatures. That’s because Kaye’s friends were part of the world of Faery.

Kaye is dragged farther into this dangerous world when she save
Alaina
I knew nothing about this book before I started to read it. I mean, I pretty much just picked up this book because it helped fit a category in a reading challenge, cool title, I like butterflies, and a new author all wrapped in one? Heck yeah, get in my hands and come home with me book!

I love any kind of fairytale or retelling book so I was super excited for a modern faerie tale! However, Tithe has kind of left me torn. I have no idea how to write out this book review.

WHY? Well because I assume
Roshani Chokshi
Mar 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I used to be ridiculously anti-social at family parties and hide out with this book. TITHE was so formative for me as a writer. Unapologetic and gorgeous. TITHE tore off the wings of fairytales and gave them fangs, claws and thorns. I wanted to be Kaye so badly I'd sometimes wander around in my backyard looking for a wounded elf prince. Sadly, no paranormal paramour for me. Although I did date a boy with werewolf sideburns. (I still am, but his sideburns have lost their lycanthropic enthusiasm).
Emma
Please don’t judge me for being a middle aged woman loving this book! I couldn’t help wishing that this kind of book had been available when I was actually within YA range, but on the other hand my inner teen is enchanted anyway! I will definitely be reading Ironside which completes this story. Apparently the middle book of the trilogy, Valiant, doesn’t really connect to either Tithe or Ironside. Recommended for faerie tale lovers!
Angela
Bad execution of a good idea, 1.5 stars, December 9, 2009

Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale, the first book in Holly Black's faery trilogy, introduces readers to a dark and twisted world of Faerie. Sixteen-year-old Kaye is the daughter of a rocker mom who moves from town to town before an act of violence pushes them back to New Jersey. Kaye thinks the faeries of her youth are a thing of the past, but soon, her world starts changing as she learns that she has been chosen as a sacrifice between faery co
  • The Book of Dreams (The Chronicles of Faerie, #4)
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
  • The Blue Girl (Newford, #15)
  • Fairy Tale
  • Tempestuous (Wondrous Strange, #3)
  • Faerie Wars (The Faerie Wars Chronicles, #1)
  • Why I Let My Hair Grow Out (Morgan Rawlinson, #1)
  • Elsewhere (Borderlands, #4)
  • The Demon's Lexicon (The Demon's Lexicon, #1)
  • I Was a Teenage Fairy
  • Arcanum 101  (Diana Tregarde, #0.3)
  • Stopping Time, Part 1 (Wicked Lovely, #2.5 Part I)
  • The Lost Queen (Faerie Path, #2)
  • Faerie Winter (Bones of Faerie, #2)
  • Poison
  • Lament: The Faerie Queen's Deception (Books of Faerie, #1)
Holly Black is the author of bestselling contemporary fantasy books for kids and teens. Some of her titles include The Spiderwick Chronicles (with Tony DiTerlizzi), The Modern Faerie Tale series, the Curse Workers series, Doll Bones, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown, the Magisterium series (with Cassandra Clare), The Darkest Part of the Forest, and her new series which begins with The Cruel Prince in ...more

Modern Faerie Tales (3 books)
  • Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2)
  • Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #3)
“She loves the serene brutality of the ocean, loves the electric power she felt with each breath of wet, briny air.” 531 likes
“If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.” 344 likes