Start by marking “Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)

Tithe

(Modern Faerie Tales #1)

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  89,373 ratings  ·  5,348 reviews
Welcome to the realm of very scary faeries!

Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, amid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two r
Published April 2004 by Simon Pulse (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Tithe, please sign up.
Aimée Marie Le Roi It does indeed! Books one and three both feature the same group of characters two of whom have a romantic storyline; book two has a different set of c…moreIt does indeed! Books one and three both feature the same group of characters two of whom have a romantic storyline; book two has a different set of characters where there is a romance plotline(less)
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
The Best Urban Fantasy
4,189 books — 12,839 voters
The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningTithe by Holly BlackWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
1,079 books — 2,450 voters

More lists with this book...

·  89,373 ratings  ·  5,348 reviews

Start your review of Tithe (Modern Faerie Tales, #1)
Elle (ellexamines)
If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.

This is one of those rare few books that really shows me why we need a 3 1/2 star rating, and I don’t like to give 1/2 stars. This… was so fun, and a four star book for me, and also it bugged the shit out of me to the point where I texted someone to bitch about it. But… I honestly did have so much fun.

Let’s get the complaining out of the way: god, I fucking hate 2004 YA. I mean, this text has a bunch of homopho
Regan
Sep 29, 2019 added it
DNF - just not for me lol
Melanie
RTC! <3

Blog | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Youtube | Twitch

I read this for #FaerieAThon, which I am cohosting with Jane, Kristin, & Alexa! ❤

Shannon
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Read #4? probably
Started on June 4, 2019
Finished on June 5, 2019

“If you would help me, draw this arrow." His eyes narrowed, and he shook his head. "If not, then push it in as deep as you can and hope it kills me.”

Still a hoe for Kaye and Roiben and I'm not sorry about it

(This masterpiece made me do a re-read. My eyes will never be the same. Petition for more Kaye/Roiben fanart)

OG REVIEW THAT I'M STILL AMAZED SO PEOPLE HAVE LIKED SO *THANK YOU* IF YOU'RE ONE OF THEM

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

I'm going to be up
Tomoe Hotaru
Ugh. I don't know where to start with this one so I'm gonna jump right in. I didn't like it. It was all just a raging bunch of WTF?! for me. I mean, it was random. My brain hurts so this isn't going to be a very coherent review.

Before I go to my detailed ravings, it's best if I gave a brief overview of what this book was about. It's the story of Kaye, a changeling, who was put under a glamour to hide her true green-skinned self and lives with her rockstar wannabe "mother", Ellen. Her life ultima
Julie Kagawa
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Tithe is a very raw, very dark faerie tale. While not suitable for younger readers (lots of swearing, random torture and violence, and mature themes), I loved its take on the darker side of faerie. It deals with faerie themes like Changelings and the knowing of one's True Name very well, and Roiben is probably my favorite faery hero of all time. (Kind of like Sephiroth. If you know who Sephiroth is, you'll understand.)

The writing was a teensy bit sporadic and hard to follow at first. I found my
Bryce Rocks My Socks
Apr 14, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
if u were thinking about reading this because u loved the cruel prince series: don't ...more
✨ A ✨
I was not expecting to be blown away by this and gosh am I so glad I kept my expectations low.

The main reason I read these books is because I absolutely loved The Cruel Prince and The Wicked King. And since I don't know what to do with myself while I wait for The Queen of Nothing I decided to get to know more about the other faerie courts which is set in the same world as TCP.

Kaye thought that she was just an ordinary girl. When one day her friend mistakenly enters a faerie realm, things chang
toointofiction
"Nevertheless, he found himself no longer wanting to punish her for her faith in him. Instead, he found himself wanting to be worthy of it. He wanted to be the knight he had once been. Just for a moment."

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐,5

This review may contain minor spoilers

⚠️Trigger Warning: Coarse language (I only mention it because this series is YA), violence⚠️

To be perfectly honest, I expected just a little better. I was really excited to read this, I mean The Folk of the Air was A MASTERPIECE!!!!! It wa
Eliza
1 / 5

There’s no way I’m going to write an entire review for this. Nope. I'm just proud I managed to skim and not give up entirely; that's an achievement on its own.

Let me sum this book up for you: Imagine a story filled with only unlikeable/trashy characters (there wasn’t a single person or thing I liked—I swear, everything was terrible), a nonexistent/poor plot, cliche male jerks that are accepted because they’re (of course) “extremely attractive," etc., and all of that tied in with choppy/
destiny ♡ howling libraries
Holly Black’s writing was my first introduction to fae fiction; as a kid, I was obsessed with all sorts of fae mythology, but typically was limited to nonfiction until the first time I saw Tithe on the “new” shelf at my library. I must have checked this book out and reread it four or five times within the first couple of years, but this was my first reread since I was a preteen, and I had no idea what to expect!

If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.

I had forgo
Amber Baker
Jun 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
If I could have given it 0 stars I would have. To publish this as a young adult novel is horrifying. I wouldn't read past 30 pages it was too offensive and to think it was published as content for young adults is terrible. It would be R rated as a movie. Not only was the f word used liberally throughout the few pages I read, teens were drinking, smoking and hinting at being sexually active. NOT something I would want my kids to read, or myself. I normally wouldn't dream of rating a book without ...more
Thomas
Aug 23, 2009 rated it did not like it
"Tithe: A Modern Faerie Tale" is about sixteen year old Kaye Fierch, a girl who has been moving around with her single mother for her entire life. At a young age she has been able to see and interact with these things called faeries, although no one believed her. Then one day, she enchants a boy into falling in love with her and makes a broken, splintered horse move. Soon after that event she meets a young faerie night named Roiben, and that is just the start of her faerie adventure.

Hm... okay,
✨faith✨trust✨pixiedust✨
I wasn’t originally planning on rating this, since I was reading off the omnibus edition released somewhat recently. But oh my goodness, that version changed so much! I’ll go more into that when I review the edition as a whole, but suffice it to say that there was some serious editing that happened between this original version and the combined copy. It’s not just an omnibus, it’s a veritable rewrite.

That said, this was sort of hard to rate even on its own merits. It felt very much like somethin
chan ☆
Aug 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, ya-fantasy
“What’s next on the faerie agenda?”
“I get sacrificed, I guess.”
“Great. When is that?”

oh, holly black. you never cease to make me laugh, gasp, and shake my head. this book was no exception, and for a debut novel (WRITTEN IN 2002!!!) no less.

book follows a girl named kaye who has always thought the world had a little magic. after moving back to her hometown and saving an injured fae knight, she figures out that she's right. she also discovers there might be a little more to her personal history th
Emma
Please don’t judge me for being a middle aged woman loving this book! I couldn’t help wishing that this kind of book had been available when I was actually within YA range, but on the other hand my inner teen is enchanted anyway! I will definitely be reading Ironside which completes this story. Apparently the middle book of the trilogy, Valiant, doesn’t really connect to either Tithe or Ironside. Recommended for faerie tale lovers!
Sophie_The_Jedi_Knight
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
*4.5

Wow.

Fun.

Really. I had such a great time with this strange, darkly magical book and its characters. It was true Holly Black, even if I’ve only read two of her books before this - I loved how the plot fell perfectly into place at the end.

Yeah, not too much to say. But I am so excited to continue this series and follow its amazing characters.

Ahh. So good.

4.5/5 stars.
luce (currently recovering from a hiatus)
blogthestorygraphletterboxd tumblrko-fi

3 ½ stars (rounded up because of nostalgia)

“It was one thing to believe in faeries; it was totally another thing if you weren’t allowed to even have a choice about it. If they could just walk into your normal life, then they were a part of normal life, and she could no longer separate the unreal world from the real one.”

Holly Black writes the best modern faeries tales.
First published in 2002 Tithe is Holly Black's debut novel. While Black'
Wren (fablesandwren)
So I didn't LOVE Cruel Prince (I liked it, though!), but I did love Darkest Part of the Forest. So let's see what else Holly Black has for me! ...more
Pine tree leaf stick
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned, paperback
The plot of this book was so confusing, I can't even. I don't know if it's because I read it during the four hour drives in Newfoundland, but I was so supremely confused all the time it was not enjoyable.

And the excessive amount of swearing kind of ruined things.

There was some side plot with a random side character that I didn't like.

Did I mention the swearing?

I have nothing against swearing in books. In fact, I enjoy a bit of it. BUT THIS. NO.
IT WAS EVERYWHERE.
I SWEAR EVERY OTHER SENTENCE CONTA
Natalie
Apr 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I ended up reading this book by accident. It was recommended to my 14 year old, Gini. She began the book and then brought it to me saying that she didn't feel it was appropriate for kids and that she, personally, had no interest in a heroine who consistently made such poor life choices. Well! I decided to read it to see what the deal was. This book was recommended for kids 14 and up and Gini has read books that were definitely adult reading level and she LOVES faery.

The problem with this book f
Juushika
Mar 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: status-borrowed
As a child, Kaye had faery friends; throughout her life, she has always been unusual. Now, following an barfight, Kaye and her would-be-rock star mother return to Kaye's childhood home. There, Kaye meets another faery, and discovers that her childhood friends really do exist and that she is far more unusual than she ever suspected. She soon falls into the middle of the power struggle between two rival faery courts, a struggle which could easily spill into the human world. Tithe is a mix of wonde ...more
Tatiana
Feb 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, ya, urban-fantasy
He slid out of bed, scratching his balls through once-white briefs, and sat down in front of the computer.

Ok, now I remember WHY I hated Holly Black's writing before finally enjoying White Cat. Too much grossness! That's why. Everything is in Tithe is disgusting and grimy (except for the love interest, thank goodness for that!) - if it's nail polish - it's chipped, if it's bed linen - it's dirty, if it's hair - it's greasy. Yuck! Apparently I am more used to the gross now, because this time I l
Carol
Jan 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After loving the cruel prince as much as I did, I was scared this book wasn't going to live up to my expectation. I'm happy to report it did, and I love it, so glad I bought the boxset

This book is about Kaye a teenage girl who lives with her mother and grandmother in her grandmother's house. Kaye appers to be like any normal teenager, at first, but as the story unfolds I soon realise she is anything but normal.

I really enjoyed this I don't know if I would call it fast past exactly but it is def
Vicky Again
Apr 18, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
y'all I can't take it anymore

i'm DNFing this at 31% (so no official star rating)

BUT based on what I read, I would give this 1.5 stars

because
- the half-Japanese rep sucked.
- the queer rep was already starting to suck.
- felt no emotional connection
- was not intrigued enough by faerie to keep going
- the entire aesthetic was so grunge and I didn't like it? was not appealing imo

yeah. this was tiring to read.
samantha  Bookworm-on-rainydays
I read this book in one day!!!! It is that good! A bit dark, fun and full of magic. And the love story is a huge plus!!!! If you enjoy Faerie and everything related to it, you will love this book. A can't wait to read Valiant!!!! ...more
Noura Khalid (theperksofbeingnoura)
I first discovered Holly Black's books when I read The Cruel Prince. I loved it so much I made it a goal to read all her books, and this one was next on my list. The first thing I thought when I read this was that I loved how strange it was!

Despite the book being strange you can literally read these in one sitting. The story is addicting and everything just happens so quickly that you don't even realize that you've finished the book until you've closed the book. The Fae world is wicked as always
Amy Imogene Reads

Alright y'all, take this review with a grain of salt because I'm sucker for Holly Black. I liked this because it was Holly Black, faeries, and drama. Was it amazing? Nope. Did I enjoy it though? Oh yeah.

Concept: ★★★
Plot: ★★
Enjoyment: ★★★★ (so sue me, I love any and all things Fae and under the mound)

Keeping this review SUPER short and sweet because there's not much to say about this book with spoiling it and/or getting way too involved in a larger discussion on the tropes of early 200
Chelsea
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
Series Review

Tithe: 3 stars
Valiant: 2 stars (barely)
Ironside: 3 1/2 stars

I am a huge fan of Holly Black, specifically her writing style. Both The Darkest Part of the Forest and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown were five star books for me, and this is coming from someone who typically gets bored by fantasy after a chapter or two.

There’s something about Holly Black’s writing style that is so lovely and dark and perfectly fitting for the stories she tells.

With the release of The Cruel Prince, which
Kimberlayy º
Dec 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horrible, sci-fi
i couldn't finish this book and i WON'T finish it. it is horribly stupid and swears like 10 times a page. it is all about cigarettes, drinking, and freakky people in dark alleys. WHAT THE HECK?! i couldn't believe what was happening in the book; it was disgusting!! ew! ew! i learned a lesson from this book: DON'T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER! ...more

• The Pandarus File
  • Nooit Gedacht
  • Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)
  • Gallant
  • Kingdom of the Wicked (Kingdom of the Wicked, #1)
  • Once Upon a Broken Heart (Once Upon a Broken Heart, #1)
  • House of Sky and Breath (Crescent City, #2)
  • Kingdom of the Cursed (Kingdom of the Wicked, #2)
  • Gods & Monsters (Serpent & Dove, #3)
  • Duisternis (De Zeven Zonderlingen, #1)
  • Amarant
  • A Deal with the Elf King (Married to Magic, #1)
  • An Enchantment of Ravens
  • The Ballad of Never After (Once Upon a Broken Heart, #2)
  • The Iron King (The Iron Fey, #1)
  • Blood & Honey (Serpent & Dove, #2)
  • Brainwalker
See top shelves…
Holly Black is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of over thirty fantasy novels for kids and teens. She has been a finalist for an Eisner Award and the Lodestar Award, and the recipient of the Mythopoeic Award, a Nebula, and a Newbery Honor. Her books have been translated into 32 languages worldwide and adapted for film. She currently lives in New England with her husband and son in a house ...more

Modern Faerie Tales (3 books)
  • Valiant (Modern Faerie Tales #2)
  • Ironside (Modern Faerie Tales, #3)

Articles featuring this book

Holly Black is one of the YA world's premier experts on faeries (she also has the pointy ears to prove it). Her enchanting books include The...
“She loves the serene brutality of the ocean, loves the electric power she felt with each breath of wet, briny air.” 657 likes
“If curiosity killed the cat, it was satisfaction that brought it back.” 393 likes