Start by marking “A Darker Shade” as Want to Read:
A Darker Shade

A Darker Shade

What is haunting young Liza Prescott?

Molly Allworth has been in service since leaving college when her mother died. Still, her situation is getting desperate and when the agency offers her a position that sounds too good to be true, she cannot resist.

Soon she finds herself in a remote house in Maine, caring for a little girl who swore she saw her mother’s ghost…before she
Expected publication: October 1st 2019 by River Hills Press

To ask other readers questions about A Darker Shade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Darker Shade

Penny Watson
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Adored this book! Review coming soon.

Grade: A

As you all know, I love scary stuff, especially atmospheric Gothic tales.

Throw in a haunted house with secrets aplenty, and I'm totally in love.

I was lucky enough to read an advanced copy of A DARKER SHADE. This wonderful story by Curtis hits all of my high points...excellent writing, suspenseful mystery, super creepy paranormal elements, a bit of romance, an intriguing family, and a heroine filled with grit and determination.

I love the isolated Maine
Elizabeth Amber Love
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This review was made possible by an advanced copy through NetGalley.

Laura K. Curtis knows how to deliver a story with nearly everything I want. Okay, A Darker Shade didn't have any cats, but it did have a dog named Rocky! There's family dysfunction like you would see on a soap opera; there's a troubled young girl who has to live with people not believing her turmoil; there are ghosts; and yes, some racism thrown into the blender of what Curtis has created as a perfect spooky cocktail of reading.
George1st
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
In the about the author notes at the back of the book it states that Laura K. Curtis writes for several genres. On the evidence of A Darker Shade it is clear that she has mastered and is adept in the supernatural/ghost one. The story of a governess or in this case a tutor going to a spooky old house (see the cover) isolated in the countryside to look after a troubled child or children and encountering strange events is a mainstay of many a Gothic tale. At the apex is of course the Turn of the Sc ...more
Cecilia
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I loved A Darker Shade! I knew I had to read this as soon as I saw the Gothic romance inspired cover. I've loved the genre for decades, and although this is more a horror/ghost story than a romance, there was a romantic element as well.

Molly has taken a live in position as a tutor for a widower's daughter and her cousin at a remote mansion in Maine. One of the girls has stopped speaking following her mother's death and claims to be visited by her mother's spirit. Her father is adamant that she n
Tyler Brown
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Molly Allworth, who has been working and struggling since her mother died to support her sister and herself, gets an offer from a care agency that she can’t refuse. She is to tutor a young girl in an isolated house in Maine who has suddenly stopped speaking after insisting that she was in contact with her mother, who is also dead..

Strange and unsettling things begin happening in the house, but there’s a huge incentive for Molly to last there in her position for a year, and to get the girl talkin
Janet
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I started this book and was hooked from the first chapter. Usually, new to me writers take a chapter or two for me to get into the story but I was happy that this was not the case.

Molly is working so that her sister, and herself, can have a better life after the death of her mother. When she is given an assignment to tutor and take care of a non-speaking child with a good paycheck, she leaps at the chance. The only thing is that she has to stay for the entire time and there is a bonus check invo
Laurie Tell
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm torn between 3 and 4 stars...

I actually really liked this book. I was engrossed from the beginning, and I really wanted to know what happened next. It was a mystery, a ghost story, a gothic romance.

However, the ending felt really rushed. The story built and built and then all off a sudden everything was resolved and it was over. The other thing I didn't like was that the dialogue of the daughter. She's 11 and uses words like conduit? Really? She was too mature for her age and it didn't rin
Kaili Taghon  (Entertainingly Nerdy)
A darker shade was a really good book. I always love ghost stories and to a degree it reminded me of The Turn of the key
William Gillespie
Abigail Day
Jul 16, 2019
Brin
Aug 31, 2019
Laura K. Curtis does everything backwards. As a child, she was extremely serious, so now that she’s chronologically an adult, she feels perfectly justified in acting the fool. She started teaching at age fifteen, then decided to go back to school herself at thirty.

Laura has written four romantic suspense novels, two contemporary romances, and is moving into the arena of the Gothic (because she doe