Start by marking “Trinkets” as Want to Read:
Trinkets

Trinkets

Sixteen-year-old Moe's Shoplifters Anonymous meetings are usually punctuated by the snores of an old man and the whining of the world's unhappiest housewife. Until the day that Tabitha Foster and Elodie Shaw walk in. Tabitha has just about everything she wants: money, friends, popularity, a hot boyfriend who worships her...and clearly a yen for stealing. So does Elodie, wh ...more
Published June 6th 2019 by Scholastic (first published March 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Trinkets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trinkets

Natalie (Natflix&Books)
Trinkets was exactly the kind of fast-paced, easy read I needed. I've been in a major book slump lately (I must be 30-60% of the way through at least 10 books right now--nothing has been holding my attention) so I'm so glad I picked this one up.

Trinkets is about 3 high school girls: Moe, Tabitha, and Elodie.

Moe is the "bad girl". She hangs out with the tough girls in her school even though she secretly loves Katy Perry (and other Pop favorites) and is secretly sleeping with the boy across the
Steph Campbell
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED the voice(s) in this novel. Superb storytelling, unique voice even with alternating pov, would love to see this book translated to film.
Hélène Louise
Melissa
I won this book in a give away so I didn't have the chance to take a peak inside to see if this book would be a perfect match for me or not.

I was hoping it would be more detailed and little bit more complicated in the writing style. The story is very short and to the point and written perfectly for people in the 13 to 14 age group.

The story is told from three perspectives of three very different teenage girls in high school. I felt at times that the cliques were sort of cliche and, in my persona
Hilary Graham
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVE this book! TRINKETS is a beautifully told story of friendship between three girls who, despite their outward differences, ultimately help each other discover the people they truly are. Touching, hilarious, and real.
Cassy Hodges
quick popcorn lit for tweeny girls watching iCarly that haven't graduated to Degrassi
❅☤ Luca
— 3.75 / 5 stars ✨ —
Miss Literati
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kirsten Smith’s newest novel TRINKETS is a humorous read filled with high school drama, shoplifting, and above all, friendship.

Moe is a 16-year-old troublemaker that, to no one’s surprise, has to attend weekly Shoplifters Anonymous meetings. The dulls-ville gatherings start to become a bit more interesting when ‘it’ girl Tabitha and goody-two-shoes Elodie show up. Who would have thought these seemingly perfect girls would have such sticky fingers?

What starts off as acquaintanceship soon turns to
Danie
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
some parts were kinda cliche and typical ya writing but overall this was a nice quick read
Josie M.
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting; the premise is unlike anything I have ever seen before. I think the author definitely took a risk in writing this book, but I think it payed off.
This book is a multi-perspective story that follows an unlikely friendship that develops through a Shoplifters Anonymous support group.
I liked that this book was multi-perspective. The story was graceful and flowed nicely. Seeing the story through different points of view helped the reader draw similarities and differences b
Barbara
Told from the varying points of view of three high school girls who couldn't have less in common, this title is sure to be snapped up by teen readers who will see parts of themselves reflected in Tabitha, Elodie, and Moe. The three meet at a Shoplifters Anonymous meeting after getting in trouble for taking things without paying. Readers will have several of their assumptions about the reasons behind theft challenged by the author's depictions of the girls. In the case of Tabitha, shoplifting is ...more
Kelly Hager
Kirsten Smith co-wrote two movies I love (Legally Blonde and 10 Things I Hate About You) and one I hated (The Ugly Truth). That sentence will probably tell you whether or not you want to read this book.

Like the movies I loved, this book won't change your life and it probably won't be something you end up re-reading.

But if you're in a reading slump or if you even just want to read a book that's cute and sweet but is also unexpectedly deeper than you'd expect it to be, this may be the book for you
Patricia
May 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been awhile since I've read a book. I've been so busy with college stuffs (I'm reading starting today I hope I still pass). So on to the book review...

I loved their personalities. I never got annoyed with their attitude and all. I loved how the story progressed. I loved everything about the book. It didn't focus on romance. Instead it focused on family and friends. It was a refreshing read. And yeah, I just wanna say I'm the combination of the three of them. lol
Laurie Perrone
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A perfect view of how unguided teens resolve their problems...by making even bigger mistakes and then then ultimately growing from the bigger mistakes! This was a humorous take on very unlikely friendships between the social classes in high school.
Susan Schatvet
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book, three girls Moe, Elodie and Tabitha all with a different story, who probably never would have connected as friends had they not shared something in common, a compulsive need to shoplift. Kirsten Smith's development of their characters was very believable.
marisa inez
idk why I like it so much

It just...... I DUNNO MAN I just like it a lot
Miranda
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know if it's the because of the red wine I was drinking when reading it (even though the only people of drinking age in the book were the parents), but I found this book to be a delight.
Tess (Book_Voyage)
Luke Reynolds
Actual rating: 2.5 out of 5 stars

Unfortunately, I don't have much to say about this book. I'm watching the Netflix series right now and enjoying it, but aside from the great premise the two anchor themselves in, they feel like completely different properties, which I guess is the point. This was a light and breezy read that felt aged since its publication. Each girl represents a high school clique: the awkward new girl, the most popular girl in school, and the burnout. Throw them into Shoplifter
Stormi (BMReviewsohmy)
Every now and then I try a different genre to see what I think and if I might enjoy it. I don't normally read/listen to contemporary YA novels and though I thought this was okay I can still say it's not really a preferred genre.

Trinkets is told in the POV of three different girls who all have different backgrounds and reasons for shoplifting. They all go to the same school but would never ever be seen together as they hang out with different crowds.

Moe is kind of a rebel with a reputation but un
Belle Ellrich
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I WAS PROVIDED AN AUDIOBOOK COPY FROM THE PUBLISHER IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW. THIS DOESN'T AFFECT MY OPINION*

Something I love seeing in books are fresh ideas. I'm not a huge fan of repeats or do-overs, so having something like a story of shoplifting with three, female leads is exciting, to say the least.

Something that is clearly portrayed through this audiobook are the personalities of the characters. Sarcasm is a big play, often implemented by authors as a use to portray teens. And while
Adriana  Williams
after spending the last few days back to back with disapointing books, I went into this one with low expectations-which luckily led me to be pleasantly surprised.

You meet 3 girls from 3 high school cliques- the popular pretty one, the straight boring new girl, and the punk rock rebel.

All 3 go to the same school-but are worlds apart in social status. Homelife for each girl is challenging due to a remarriage, a cheating, absentee Dad, an alcoholic Mom in denial, and dead parents.

What brings the
Jennifer Maguire
This is what I want from a book!!
Original story with great writing.
Easy read but with some thought provoking life anecdotes in there too.
I really liked this book I’d recommend it.
I loved the fact it was a little dated with the music singers and the fact that Facebook was the big thing then. A bit of nostalgia there which made me smile.
I hate when books get too descriptive it’s like punishing myself reading them but this book dsnt bother with that it actually tells a story!
Loved the characters an
Kithanna Smart
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My opinion on this book would be that it was very interesting, it had a bunch of funny parts and the twist towards the middle of the book had me hooked and on the edge of my seat for days. After finishing the book I handed it down to a good friend of mine so she can share a laugh or two as well. this book, in my opinion, was based on friendship and sisterhood. Yes, the teens began talking to each other because they were in a group full of kleptomaniacs and they were there to get help but as the ...more
Tasnim
Jul 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plot line:A fun chick lit story where three teenage girls unlikely to get along together finds themselves stuck together in the least likely place. It’s in a meeting more likely recovery program for shoplifters. Irrespective of their differences the girls bond over shoplifting, a change among all the other changes ahead in their life.
Review: I enjoyed the story. I liked Moe’s humour, Tabitha’s insightful thoughts, Elodie’s daring side & mostly their friendship. The downside is the storyline
Thebooknerd90
Thank you so much @scholastic_uk for sending me this book to review, it was a fun read. I really liked all 3 main characters with their individual personalities and attitudes which sometimes clashed with each other. I really liked the development of their friendship with each other throughout the book. I found this book a quick and easy read, it is fast paced with an emphasis on friendship throughout. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys ya contemporary and is looking for a light read.
Brindi Michele
*3.5 stars*

Overall this was a typical bubblegum, contemporary YA read. I enjoyed the fast-paced storytelling, which jumped continuously from each girls' viewpoint. It kept my attention, even though a few times I felt this was a little cliche. I think this would be a perfect read for younger teens, maybe 6th to even 9th graders, about finding friendship where you least expect it, and realizing we're all a lot more alike than we think.
Ramsky
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nothing too interesting. I loved the writing and the voice. But the story felt very much like something a mother would buy her teen daughter to veer her away from sex and crime. The characters needed more depth and the story needed more STORY. This book gave me no sense of fulfillment but I do think it helped me personally as a writer.
Carrie
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Sweet and short, 3.5*. If you've seen the Netflix show "Trinkets" based on this book you'll find they took very little (some of the best parts) to make the tv version more edgy, modern, and suspenseful. The book is more relatable.
Maureen
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I watched the series on Netflix before reading the book but I liked them both. They each had their pros & cons but overall great storylines. Moe was my favorite (hence the same name) but Elodie was much better in the book than in the series & Tabitha is good in both but for different reasons.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Season of the Witch
  • I'm With Stupid (Stupid Fast, #3)
  • White Lines
  • The Milk of Birds
  • Jane Austen Goes to Hollywood
  • Nothing but Ghosts
  • Manicpixiedreamgirl
  • Blaze (or Love in the Time of Supervillains)
  • Steal My Sunshine
  • Permanent Record
  • Me, Him, Them, & It
  • The Theory of Everything
Kirsten Smith is a screenwriter and authors. She co-wrote LEGALLY BLONDE, 10THINGS I HATE ABOUT YOU, SHE'S THE MAN and ELLA ENCHANTED. She co-wrote and executive produced THE HOUSE BUNNY and THE UGLY TRUTH. She executive produced WHIP IT.

She has written two YA novels, THE GEOGRAPHY OF GIRLHOOD and TRINKETS, the latter of which is being made into a Netflix series, due out in 2019.

She has had over 4
“She is lean and mean,
all honey hair and devil-may-care.”
0 likes