Start by marking “Sorcery of Thorns” as Want to Read:
Sorcery of Thorns

Sorcery of Thorns

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  11,114 ratings  ·  2,862 reviews
All sorcerers are evil.

Elisabeth has known that as long as she has known anything. Raised as a foundling in one of Austermeer’s Great Libraries, Elisabeth has grown up among the tools of sorcery—magical grimoires that whisper on shelves and rattle beneath iron chains. If provoked, they transform into grotesque monsters of ink and leather. She hopes to become a warden, char
Hardcover, FairyLoot Exclusive, 453 pages
Published June 4th 2019 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Sorcery of Thorns, please sign up.
Margaret Rogerson Hi there! Sorcery of Thorns is intended for grades 9-12. It contains action-related violence and non-explicit kissing about on par with most young…moreHi there! Sorcery of Thorns is intended for grades 9-12. It contains action-related violence and non-explicit kissing about on par with most young adult books. Your sister might enjoy it if she's an advanced reader, but I recommend reading it yourself first to determine whether the content is appropriate for her.(less)

·  11,114 ratings  ·  2,862 reviews

Chaima ✨ شيماء
The cruelest and kindest thing a good book does is make you believe you live inside it for the space of a few hundred pages, that you are a part of something, part of its world, not just skating around the edges, too tied up in yourself to join in…until it ends and the illusion winks out, like a snuffed flame, and you’re left marooned, adrift, your head chilled in its absence.

The real world takes a seat at the back, and Rogerson’s imaginary one holds center stage. Here where books are a soft war
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
I can't stop smiling. Margaret blows me away every time!

Sorcery of Thorns is equal parts whimsical, flirtatious, and totally hysterical, while still managing to deliver a gut-punch of feels on more than one occasion. This story is an absolute blast to read, and kept me thoroughly entertained all the way through.

First we have Elizabeth, a library apprentice of sorts. She's tall, fierce, yet has the gentlest of hearts. Time and time again, she charges headfirst into danger and drags us with her,
Melanie

ARC provided by Simon & Schuster in exchange for an honest review.

“Knowledge always has the potential to be dangerous. It is a more powerful weapon than any sword or spell.”

I don’t know about you, but I feel like I’ve been looking for a story all about someone living in a library, surrounded by magical books, while also going on adventure after adventure, for my entire life. And I truly believe that not only did Margaret Rogerson give me that, she is giving the YA literature community a
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
June Fairyloot Box! Well, here I am again with the same book 3 times! BUT, I'm trading in my green edition and keeping this stained Fairyloot Edition as well as the Purple Owlcrate edition. So it all worked out! Click the link under the picture to see the amazing goodies in this box!!

FAIRYLOOT GOODIES

June Owlcrate Box. Well, I already have the book but this one has a purple cover soo.. keep them both! =D Click on link below the pic to see the goodies.

OWLCRATE GOODIES

I made some bookmarks today.
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
She wasn’t a wielder of chains; she was a breaker of them. She was the library’s will made flesh.

I never do this, but I’m going to give you all a TL;DR for this review, just in case you’re in a hurry and need me to get the point across quickly: This is one of the best books I have read in my entire life, and if there is any single book I could beg you to purchase this year, it is Sorcery of Thorns.

jessica
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
‘for all the girls who found themselves in books.’

yaaassss! we stan a fantasy queen who both acknowledges AND writes stories for us bookworms. <3

i know i wont be the only reader who sees a little bit of themself in elisabeth; for being able to relate, on such a personal level, to her love of books, for seeing them as companions, and forever feeling at home in their company/in a library.

and this story is every bit deserving of having such a remarkable character. there is so much balance to
Margaret Rogerson
Nov 07, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Hi, all! I don’t spend much time here (I view this as a place for readers, not me), but now that Sorcery of Thorns is appearing on people’s radars, I thought it would be a good opportunity to mention a couple of things.

Firstly: Sorcery is quite a different book than An Enchantment of Ravens, which may be helpful for readers to know in advance. Probably the best way to put it is that Enchantment is a fairy tale romance, while Sorcery is an epic fantasy. Sorcery does have a romance, but it’s a sub
ELLIAS (elliasreads)
Guys, this book.....I WANT MORE.
This book is Howl’s Moving Castle’s cousin and I was LIVING throughout it.
Helena of Sparta ✰
PHENOMENAL.

Every criticism that I had with AEOR was fixed here... Instalove? Nope. The slowest of slow burns. Flat characters? Nada. All nuanced and well developed darlings. Nonexistent plot? More like a compelling and magical ride.

I LOVED THIS. Margaret Rogerson is well on her way to becoming a new favourite author of mine. This was a follow-up novel done RIGHT.

RTC!
Whitney Atkinson
THIS BOOK SAID TALL GIRL RIGHTS!!!! THIS BOOK SAID BISEXUAL RIGHTS!!!!!

Don't let this book fool you and let you think it's just another author trying to capitalize off of having the word "Thorns" in the title to appear like a Sarah J. Maas knock-off. This is my favorite book of 2019, and Sarah J. Maas should be SHAKING right now. I read this author's debut book, An Enchantment of Ravens, and hated it, so I was skeptical going into it. But I knew within the first chapter of this book that it was
Chloe
“Knowledge always has the potential to be dangerous. It is a more powerful weapon than any sword or spell”

This was one of my most anticipated releases of the year and I loved it! The writing, the characters, the setting, the banter, the romance - I pretty much loved everything about this! It didn't quite reach the full 5 stars for me, but I had the best time reading it and I'm now super interested in reading An Enchantment of Ravens!
Chelsea Humphrey
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Melanie
I'm so bummed, because I had a paper where I noted my favorite quotes and corresponding page numbers tucked into my hardcopy of this book, but I seem to have misplaced it. 😿 No matter, I will carry on and you will now know that I had so many quotes I loved from this book and there simply wasn't enough room here to include them.

Me, rushing to tell you all about this book:

description

Sometimes, I think the entire experience surrounding a book contributes to our giving it 5 stars, rather than just the story i
April (Aprilius Maximus)
REASONS TO READ THIS INCREDIBLE BOOK:

1. The MC is a badass, sword-wielding, book lover who grew up in a magical library.
2. The love interest is a bisexual sorcerer who gives off major sexy slytherin vibes
3. His best friend is a demon who sometimes turns into a cat.
4. There's an ace side character (it's not on page but is heavily implied)
5. The whole book is feminist AF
6. It's set in 1824 in an alternate world
7. Parsifal is the CUTEST cinnamon roll ever to exist.
8. Books can talk and can turn i
Warda
Jul 23, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I don't even know why I'm adding this to my TBR.
YA fantasy and I broke up a while ago and I'm reluctant to rekindle this relationship.

But then I hear this book is a book about books and I mean, what can I do? I am weak. I will listen to this kind of temptation.
Miranda Reads
That cover is simply enchanting and the blurb sounds amazing!

I cannot wait for it to be released!
megs_bookrack
Synopsis:

...imaginative fantasy about an apprentice at a magical library...

I'm like...

Purchased.

Update:

Who am I that I have owned this since release day and haven't gotten to it yet?

Oh yeah, that's totally me.

Anissa
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-release
She has done it again!! I loved An Enchantment of Ravens, Margaret’s debut, so I was so excited to read this and it did not disappoint! This was such a wild ride - beautiful writing, an epic story and charming characters (I can’t decide who my favourite is).
Zainab
Jun 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-releases
Since this is one of the most anticipated book of the year and not a lot of people have read it, I'm going to keep this spoiler free.

The book started out great. We have our main character Elisabeth who is what most people would call 'innocent'. She isn't too smart- I mean I found her to be a bit too childish. Anyway, she's an orphan who works/lives in this Great Library and tries a bit too hard to impress her director.
Then something happens and she gets kicked out of the library and so this is w
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
THE REVIEW IS POSTED

"But there is always more than one way to see the world. Those who claim otherwise would have you dwell forever in the dark."

Wow. I haven't been moved by a book since ... I don't know ... months ago probably. This book was breathtaking. It was incredibly beautiful and so different than what I have ever read. What a fresh breath of air! and I even bought another copy of this book for my friend's birthday present and I had given it to her yesterday and when her face lit u
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

Books, too, had hearts, though they were not the same as people's, and a book's heart could be broken: she had seen it happen before. Grimoires that refused to open, their voices gone silent, or whose ink faded and bled across the pages like tears.

Story 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Elisabeth loved books since she was born. She was raised with them surrounding her.
She loved everything about them - that they talked, laughed, fought and especially that they were so magical, sometimes even dangerous. She always wanted
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
Buddy reading with Alexa and Melanie<3

I had admittedly been a bit nervous going into Sorcery of Thorns because I was one of sad few who didn't love Margaret's debut, An Enchantment of Ravens (which honestly still kills me because faeries + the cover are Kristin candy). Plot twist, as you can see from my rating, I ended up giving Sorcery of Thorns a full five stars. Sorcery is almost double the length of Ravens and the added page time allowed Margaret to craft such a beautiful fantasy world an
C.G. Drews
I loved all the elements of this one (sentient books; magical libraries; broody sorcerers; secretly Soft™ demons) but the actual execution of it all didn't click for me. It felt like the Clockwork Angel series come again (Nathaniel and Elisabeth have the same personalities/arcs as Will and Tessa too) and overall I am slightly sleepy.
Lucy Langford
Jun 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5**** rounded up!

Books, too, had hearts, though they were not the same as people's and a book's heart could be broken: she had seen it happen before. Grimoires that refused to open, their voices gone silent, or whose ink faded and bled across the pages like tears.

This was brimming with enchantment and I am totally in love with my Fairyloot copy which is signed and has sparkly sprayed turquoise edges.

A sorcery of Thorns features Elisabeth, a foundling of Summershall Great Library where she is t
Emily ✨ (procrastinating • bibliophile)
THIS BOOK IS JUST ABSOLUTELY AMAZING AND I LOVE IT AND IS JUST WHAT I NEEDED TO LIFT MY READING MOOD. I’M JUST SO IN LOVE WITH THE STORY! 💗💗💗

Side note: I’m totally down for a sequel novella all about their normal everyday lives. It’ll make my reader heart very happy if this came true cause I need for of them in my life.
Prince Charming Doesn't Exist

Welcome to Goodreads GrimoireReads !
Join the worlds largest novel reading black magic books reading community
Read Grimoire reviews from top reviewers top Sorcerers
Carefully Organized by our best librarians Wardens
highly anticipated read of 1824: 50 Shades of Ashcroft!
best book boyfriend: Nathaniel Thorn
founder: ummmm I have no idea

AAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL ABOOOAAARD THE SPOOOIIILERRR SAAIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

okay sorry lets get serious
actually no lets not get serious
nevermind
*note: i'm a
Nick
Jun 05, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This gives me Throne of Glass vibes and I am not complaining.
Alana • thebookishchick

Lets start off with this, this book is definitely going to be one of the most unique and original books you've read in a LONG time. And it's super easy to see why most book lovers will find a little sliver of themselves in this book. We've got magic, tons of books, the most beautifully detailed descriptions of libraries you'll ever read, demons, and lots of snarky/laugh out loud comments by
Tara ☽
~4.5 Stars

I wish I lived inside this book, since I, too, would very much like to live in a library where the books talk back to you and wield a fantastical sword and fall in love with a bisexual sorcerer with a tragic past.

*****

Y'all, this book is like magic incarnated. It's everything I ever wanted my ideal aesthetic to be: giant ornate libraries, sorcerers, green-coloured magic, demonic antics, books with personalities, gilded estates and girls who wield legendary swords. It's like cotton cand
Sailor //
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I finished this hours ago and I’m still speechless. This is now my favorite book of all time.
Monica
May 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i am...so sad rn. i seriously thought this was going to be a new all-time fave after the first 100 pages, but it just fell flat for me. once we got into the swing of the plot, everything i loved about this story (the characters and a whimsical world) seemed to vanish. i just struggled to care entirely about the plot, and by the end my love for most of the characters had faded too (minus silas. i love him with my whole heart).

also, nathaniel is written like he’s in his 20s even though he’s 18, a

• The Midnight Lie
  • Dark Shores (Dark Shores, #1)
  • Nocturna (A Forgery of Magic, #1)
  • The Candle and the Flame
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Beholder
  • Spin the Dawn (The Blood of Stars, #1)
  • We Hunt the Flame (Sands of Arawiya, #1)
  • Blood Heir (Blood Heir, #1)
  • The Merciful Crow (The Merciful Crow, #1)
  • The Storm Crow (The Storm Crow, #1)
  • The Tiger at Midnight (The Tiger at Midnight Trilogy, #1)
  • The Waking Forest
  • We are Blood and Thunder
  • Warrior of the Wild
  • The Harp of Kings
  • Crown of Coral and Pearl (Crown of Coral and Pearl, #1)
  • Into the Crooked Place (Into the Crooked Place, #1)
Margaret writes fantasy for young adult readers. She lives near Cincinnati, Ohio, and when she's not reading or writing she enjoys drawing, watching documentaries, making pudding, gaming, and exploring the outdoors in search of toads and mushrooms.
“When terrible things have happened to you, sometimes the promise of something good can be just as frightening.” 47 likes
“It was always wise to be polite to books, whether or not they could hear you.” 40 likes