Start by marking “The Cold” as Want to Read:
The Cold

The Cold

It was an English summers day like any other until the snow began to fall and kept falling. Within hours, the entire country was buried beneath a freezing white blanket. And hidden within the blizzard conditions things began to move and kill and feast.
Seth is one of the few passengers to survive the train crash. Now he and his fellow survivors face a new world of snow, ic
Published July 22nd 2019

To ask other readers questions about The Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cold

Chris Berko
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Hawkins knows how to write dark and depressing, that is for sure. This was another solid outing from him that's chock full of spookiness and monsters and other forms of cold weather badness. No reinvention of the wheel here but a very entertaining story of a slowly dwindling group of people being taken out by all forms of nastiness while moving from one place to the next. Once again the author excels at instilling a feeling of hopelessness and the fear that would come from the breakdown of socie ...more
Carol
"It shouldn't be snowing. It's summer. This shouldn't be happening."

Seth Murphy heads home after a disappointing job interview to find himself among 14 survivors of a train crash caused by a freak snowstorm....or was it something else? He thought he saw something..........

THE COLD not only tells bits of Seth's personal story, but one of survivor's guilt in the midst of constant frigid, blizzard-like conditions with a whole nightmarish smorgasbord of giant bloodthirsty monsters that turn Great Br

The Grim Reader
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is little respite in Rich Hawkins' latest book The Cold. The world is in chaos as the elder gods bring hardship and suffering to all, the arctic conditions only adding to the misery of the survivors. Hawkins paints the bleakest of pictures as characters are torn limb from limb by all manner of deformed beasts. Bodies are pulverized and minds left shattered. It's grim stuff, but I'd expect nothing less from this underrated wordsmith. I love reading about the end of days and Rich Hawkins wri ...more
Fiona
This novella was a short but definitely successful read. We follow Seth, who is taking a simple train ride that's disrupted by the end of the world - in snow and monsters and blood.

The horror was certainly horrific - things really do get brutally gory at times - and the feeling of isolation and despair was well done, layering through everything without weighting the story down into a slog. I could have done with a little more exploration of the characters, as even those few we spent the most tim
Morgan K Tanner
Aug 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one bleak story full of sadness, hopelessness, and lashings of blood; some fresh, some congealed and blackened. So of course I enjoyed it immensely!

I’m a big fan of Rich Hawkins. His Plague Trilogy was superb; a post-apocalyptic world torn apart by, not zombies, but creatures even more terrifying and grotesque, albeit with a hunger for pathetic humans. He has a skill of writing terribly depressing stories that only implore you to carry on reading. The Cold was another example of this.

Ag
Matthew Wilkinson
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolute thrill to read start to end

I absolutely loved this book! From the get go it's just a constant barrage of suspense and dread on what's to come, and because of that I could barely stop reading it.

Rich really knows how to instill a complete sense of suspense with his writing, and make the plot move along not too fast and overload you with information and detail, but at a swift pace but not too hars to keep up with.

I've already recommended this book to a few other people and despite being o
Chad
This was phenomenal, from the first pages all the way through to the end. I probably could have done this book in one long sitting if time had allowed. The premise and setup was disturbing yet also full of beautiful imagery. Hawkins brought the bleakness full force with this one and I think this was his best work since his Last Plague trilogy.
Tony
Aug 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Put on your winter-warmers and take a frozen trip into hell….
Or Somerset….

If you’re a fan of monster stories and by ‘monsters’ I mean terrifying killer beings ranging from the size of small dogs to beasts which dwarf football pitches then look no further than The Cold. In the hands of a less versatile writer these descriptions would become repetitive very quickly, but this never happens in this gruesome novel. There are monstrosities which are reminiscent of giant moths, others which are similar
Stewart Horn
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seth is heading home after a disastrous job interview and falls asleep on the train. He is woken suddenly by a commotion and before we know it the train is derailed and people are screaming and dying. But why is it snowing in the height of summer, and what was the huge thing that Seth saw just before the crash?

Before long a group of survivors are traipsing through the desolate and suddenly snow-covered countryside, looking for purpose, or hope, or direction while being hunted by assorted monster
Louise
Aug 02, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s a good book, but....

This book started off great. Snow, fog and a crashed train. The book continued to be good, not giving much away, everything was shadows and noises. Brilliant. But then we meet monster after monster in really short order. The characters become shallow and useless. The book felt rushed, could have put another hundred pages in, really stretched out the storyline. The ending popped up really fast and I didn’t get it, at all. Maybe I missed the point. I really liked the premi
Elentarri
Aug 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a nicely written apocalyptic/horror novel that includes a variety of original monsters in a bleak, arctic world. The scenery makes one shiver, the monsters are terrifying and the human dynamics and behaviour were realistic. However, we never really find out what caused the apocalypse and the abrupt ending leaves a lot to the readers interpretation and didn't work for me. I'm wondering if there is a sequel?
Serenity
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read

Pretty good book. I would dearly love to see drawings of all the creatures. My only real complaint about the book was the overuse of some phrases. Other than that, a definite recommend!
The Grim Reader