Start by marking “The Last 100 Days” as Want to Read:
The Last 100 Days

The Last 100 Days

A dramatic countdown of the final months of World War II in Europe, The Last 100 Days brings to life the waning power and the ultimate submission of the Third Reich. To reconstruct the tumultuous hundred days between Yalta and the fall of Berlin, John Toland traveled more than 100,000 miles in twenty-one countries and interviewed more than six hundred people—from Hitler’s ...more
Published June 26th 2003 by Modern Library (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about The Last 100 Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last 100 Days

Edward Weiner
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very long and detailed history that concentrates on the last 100 days of World War II in Europe. I listened to the audible.com version. Very well written. The author tells the story from all sides -- primarily, America, Britain, Russia and Germany. Diplomacy, communications, troop movements, major battles, the impact on civilian populations -- all are described in a chronological narrative; and it is a fair and balanced account. If you think you know all about these fourteen weeks, try ...more
Grant
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Though Toland's work has become somewhat dated, his unusual lens, focused on the last 100 days of World War II in Europe, remains useful. Toland includes the highest-level policy decisions of Yalta alongside the most important tactical events, such as the Rhine and Oder crossings, peppered with views from the home fronts, POWs, and the core of the Nazi leadership. He provides useful studies of the deaths of three world leaders - FDR, Mussolini, and Hitler. Overall, a well-written work that still ...more
Zachary
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very solid account of the last 100 days of World War II in Europe. My only issue with it is that it offers very little in the way of new information. Mind you, I've read so much on the subject that it is hard for me to learn something new. If you're just beginning to read up on the subject, I recommend you start with Cornelius Ryan's "The Last Battle." Nevertheless, Toland's work is well worth your time.
Linda Lou McCall
Great war account - absolutely AWFUL narrator!!! Listening to Ralph Cosham's flat, boring, uninspired reading was worse than jabbing a rusty spoon in my eye! John Toland's great research deserved a much better narrator. Twenty-seven hours and thirty minutes of Cosham's voice was too painful for me to go on after 5 hours. I love Toland's work and would have given the print version 5-stars. Don't put yourself through the pain!
D. Wayne
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
This provides an intense revelation of the politics and planning behind war. History records wartime leaders during as "greats", or on the flipside, unredeemable evildoers. Do leaders seek war to join the pantheon of "greats"? Recent and current wars don't have the determination and support of the populace for total victory. Greatness in part seems to come from defining victory and achieving it. Where are the lessons on demonstrating greatness through constructive means instead of war?
Mary Simonsen
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent account of the last 100 days of the Third Reich, including the murderous fight between the Russians and Germans for Berlin. It also chronicles the desperate situation for the Germans in the closing months of the war and its immediate aftermath. A comment frequently heard by Germans at this time was: "Enjoy the war. The peace will be terrible." For those living in the Russian zone, it was.
Comment | Permalink
Dennis McCrea
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I consider myself a World War II history buff. And I thought I knew quite a bit about the history of World War II as it was conducted both in Europe and elsewhere. But this book certainly field in a lot of empty spaces that in reality I did not realize I had.

A great read but a lengthy read as well. I highly recommend this book to anybody who has a deep interest in World War II.
Marco3x
Sep 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Uneven, with fiction and the 'maybe history' genre intertwined. Even so, Toland is a good writer and creates an interesting story of the machinations among FDR, Churchill, and Uncle Joe, who comes off far more sophisticated than most accounts I have ever read.

The collapse of Berlin and the Third Reich is gut wrenching, personal, and murderous to the bitter end.
John Rebrovick
Nov 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Presented in several richly narrated snapshots of the war in Europe covering the Allies on both fronts and the desperate Germans in between from perspecties high and low. Fascinating insights into the motives and personalities of tall the great political and military leaders. Gives unsettling testament to the dangers of weakness of will against enemies.
Bill Shears
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
All the details of the inner circle and the bunker you saw in the movie Downfall plus Allied planning, FDR bamboozled by Stalin (who preferred American cigarettes and watered his vodka) at the Yalta Conference, the most detailed and horrifying account of the Dresden bombing (support for it was not monolithic at the time) seen anywhere and more.
Melissa Acuna
May 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant summation of the last 100 days of World War II in Europe. Because of the scope of the book, the author doesn't have the option to provide depth in many cases, but he does a remarkable job of providing a full recounting of the Allied and Axis decisions, thoughts, and actions. Many primary sources and new information make this a must read for history buffs.
Linda Dew
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful fascinating book reviewing the last 100 days of WWII with all the behind the scenes stories of Roosevelt, Truman, Churchill, Stalin and the stories of everyday soldiers and civilians. Fascinating.
JC
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book that was based on thorough research and interviews done in the early 60's so it was (by relative terms) recent history to all involved. Great scenes at the Yalta Conference and in "the Bunker"
GlenK
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
An excellent, readable history of the Third Reich's last 100 or so days. The concluding pages of surrender details seemed to run out of steam and the inclusion of dialogue was a bit odd for a history but those are minor quibbles.
Sonny
Dec 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Large, weighty but not stifling. Good observations on how the Russians were handled or looked upon in the ending days of WWII. The Conference history gives us some insight into a largely-undisclosed (or overlooked) bit of Allied posturing.
George de Armas
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The writing is clear and fast paced. What I thoroughly enjoyed is the in-depth research that paints a picture of the actions of ordinary and extraordinary men during this time of a worldwide upheaval.
Rick
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very detailed, well-written account of the last few months of WW2. Reads almost like a novel in places. As I said though, very heavy on detail, dialogue, and everything you'd want to know about the final 100 days of WW2.
John Foley
Well worth the read if your interested in WWII
Chuck Driskell
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best WWII nonfiction books I have ever read. Toland is a gifted writer and this book is utterly engrossing. I give it my highest recommendation.
John
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii
A good retelling of the last days of the ETO
Dennis
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you are a history nut you'll love this, or if your father or grandfather served in the European theater during WW2.
Nick Pappas
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 20th-century, europe
Stellar narrative of the end of WWII. Lots of insight into individual and organizational decision-making, interesting historical perspectives, overall great read.
Diane Cadei
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this one in high school, too. A wonderful read.
Gary
Feb 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
I know, a little off the beaten path (and long), but so far the intense interaction (all from historical accounts) between Roosevelt and Stalin is kind of amazing.
Shellie Gazdik
Jun 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Over it. Too pitiful to stomach
Manie
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book. Fast pace reading.
Sean Chick
Aug 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Solid narrative history, but the horror of World War II's closing phase in Europe seems lost.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Toland writes about the last 100 days of World War I and what he considers the needless sacrifice of lives. Very graphic in the horrors of war.
Christopher Telcontar
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ww2
Detail and depth and clarity. Enlightening.
John
Mar 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wwii
A read for only the true die hard ww2 buffs, alot of history.
  • The Last Battle: The Classic History of the Battle for Berlin
  • Decision in Normandy
  • Manstein: Hitler's Greatest General
  • Das Reich: The March of the 2nd SS Panzer Division Through France, June 1944
  • Barbarossa
  • Blitzkrieg: From the Rise of Hitler to the Fall of Dunkirk
  • The 900 Days: The Siege of Leningrad
  • Six Armies in Normandy: From D-Day to the Liberation of Paris; June 6 - Aug. 5, 1944
  • Touched with Fire: The Land War in the South Pacific
  • Alamo in the Ardennes: The Untold Story of the American Soldiers Who Made the Defense of Bastogne Possible
  • In Deadly Combat: A German Soldier's Memoir of the Eastern Front
  • The Battle of Kursk
  • The Retreat: Hitler's First Defeat
  • Hitler Moves East 1941–1943
  • Panzer Battles: A Study of the Employment of Armor in the Second World War
  • No Simple Victory: World War II in Europe, 1939-1945
  • The Last Days of Hitler
  • 1942: The Year That Tried Men's Souls
John Willard Toland (June 29, 1912 in La Crosse, Wisconsin - January 4, 2004 in Danbury, Connecticut) was an American author and historian. He is best known for his biography of Adolf Hitler.[1]

Toland tried to write history as a straightforward narrative, with minimal analysis or judgment. This method may have stemmed from his original goal of becoming a playwright. In the summers between his coll