Start by marking “The Hive” as Want to Read:
The Hive

The Hive

The Hive: a brand-new thriller for 2019 from Kindle #1 bestseller Jane Holland

Scarred by fire from infancy, with a persistent stammer, Charlotte has always been in the shadow of her glamorous theatrical parents. So it's a shock when her mother commits suicide.

Left to care for her sick father in the dark maze of her childhood home, Charlotte begins to unravel. First, there's t
Published July 1st 2019 by Thimblerig Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hive

DJ Sakata
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Favorite Quotes:

I avoid my own reflection because I self-identify with Medusa, the Gorgon with coiled snakes hissing about her head, a woman constantly terrified of accidentally turning herself to stone.

John looks my way, as though waiting for something, and I suddenly realise I am the one who has to give permission for an examination. It’s a curious realisation. I’ve always been the child in this family. Told what to do, how to behave, and rarely given choices. Now, with
Shalini
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was quite a story which got progressively thrilling as the suspense tightened in the latter half. The first half had Charlotte being scared and made to feel crazy.

It all started with her mother’s suicide, father’s loss of reality, boyfriend Alex convincing her about Russian mafia, and dead bees sent as gifts. A photograph found in the attic increased the mystery in the tale.

My first book by Jane Holland, the story was bee-themed. The author’s writing built up the sus
Rachel Gilbey
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Utterly twisted, completely horrifying but oh so addictive.

From around 50% onwards it would have been tough to prise this book out of my hands, I was completely hooked and could barely believe what I was reading. I almost dread to think what lurks in the dark mind of Jane Holland while she writes these books!

The first half was a fabulous set up, just enough creepy, but also plenty about the characters, especially Charlie to make you really feel for her. There is a brilliant set of circumstance
Misfits farm
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charlotte has a disfigured face from when she fell into a fire as a child twenty years ago. She lives at home with her parents and live in boyfriend Alex. Her mother is very low and her father is suffering from dementia which is affecting them all, despite having help. When her mother is no longer around Charlotte finds out just how bad things are with her father trying to deal with him herself but there are other things going on. Alex is an investigative journalist, his latest project is someth ...more
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Oct 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was just creepy enough and suspenseful enough to keep me awake at night. I do not like bees, and the buzzing and possibility that there were bees in the walls was a bit scary. My heart went out to Charlotte. Not only had she been burned and disfigured at a young age, but she had lived with teasing and bullying for years. She finally finds a man who accepts her as she is, goes away with him on vacation and then finds her mother's body hanging in the house when she returns, an apparent s ...more
Michelle Ryles
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: galleys-read
Anyone who enjoyed Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine will know what I mean when I say that the magic of a book is so often in the quirkiness and originality of the character; a character who is not the most popular in real life but one who finds a special place in the heart of every single reader who picks up the book. This is how I felt about Charlotte in The Hive, the likes of which I have only ever experienced before in Eleanor Oliphant. Don't mistake The Hive as being similar to Eleanor Ol ...more
Helen Leecy
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t know what to expect from this book as the author has self-published it, and she also said it was very different from anything else she has written. I should always know that Jane Holland or whichever pseudonym she is writing under will deliver a fantastic book.
Even though it is quite slow going, to begin with, once you are invested this book really grips you. I wondered, to start with where it was going something terrible had happened but not necessarily enough for you to be ponde
Sharon
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The man in the grey hoody is standing at the top of the path that leads to the main route through the cemetery. He’s wearing black gloves and black trainers. I can’t see his face, but he’s looking straight at me. Then he begins walking down the uneven slope towards our family plot. Straight towards me. Jesus.

Wow!!!  This is a bone-chilling psychological thriller that I couldn't put down.

Charlotte's slow mental anguish is well-written and so very troubling. Her mother is found hanged in
Julie Morris
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the first thriller I have read by Jane Holland but it definitely won’t be the last because this one was a gripping, chilling menace of a book that I simply could not put down.

Right from the opening pages, this book has a dark, oppressive feel that creeps insidiously off the page to wind itself around the mind of the reader and pull them in to the dark world that Charlotte inhabits. She arrives home from a trip to Moscow to find a scene of devastation at the home she shares wi
Martha Dunlop
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Hive is an exciting Thriller with a lot of secrets.

Charlotte comes home from a romantic holiday to a dreadful surprise. Her Father’s dementia means he is unable to help her understand what happened while she was away, or to throw any light on the strange noises and occurrences that haunt her. As the questions build, so does Charlotte’s need to understand what happened, what is plaguing her now, each day, and who the target is.

This is an extremely creepy thriller that kept me guessing right
Mrs Leanne Owen
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Scary and dark....

Read this in a day. I love Jane's writing and this book did not disappoint. I can normally suss out the baddies, but not this time. Enjoy..
Suzanne Oliver
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ooh what a page turner this was!! Cleverly written so you were never quite sure who the villain was..the ending was a brilliant twist. Loved the theme of the bees running throughout, I would have liked more character detail though to really get into the mind of Charlotte etc. A great read though!
Jessica Bronder
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Charlotte fell into a fire when she was a child has a disfigured face. She has essential shut herself away from the world with her parents and her boyfriend Alex. But when her mother commits suicide she learns things are a lot more difficult than she first thought.

Alex is a journalist and is working on a project about the Russian mafia so this is present in the front of Charlottes’ mind. Charlotte then starts hearing the buzzing of bees in the attic. When she received a box of dead bees she sta
Jessica Belmont
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
The Hive is full of unexpected twists and turns. It’s a unique and unpredictable thriller that intriguingly gained suspense as the novel progressed. This is my favorite type of suspense, the kind the builds and builds until it explodes in the end. I had no clue about what was happening, and all the reveals took me by surprise.

The first half of The Hive was a set-up, introducing our characters, in particular Charlie, whom I really came to feel for. There was this creepy air that loome
Lorraine
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, 4-star
The book begins with Charlotte and her Russian boyfriend, Alex, returning home from a romantic holiday to discover her mother's body hanging in the lounge. Her Father’s dementia means he can't give any explanation of anything that happened while they were away. Adding to this difficult homecoming was a strange delivery of a box of dead bees, suspicious policemen, an over-friendly family doctor and a tetchy carer.

I didn't like any of the characters very much, they all seemed creepy or
Karen Huxtable
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you like a book that immediately makes you feel unsettled and unsure of where is going this is for you.From the very start of the story you know as the reader you are in a for a bumpy ride.

When Charlotte returns home from a holiday in Russia with her boyfriend Alex to a horrific discovery, this leads her to become the principle carer for her father who has dementia.

Before long Charlotte begins to feel like she is being followed but she also hear buzzing in the house. A
E J
Jul 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Buzzing Russians

What a load of buzzing nonsense! How did this achieve good reviews?? Crazy unbelievable ‘plot ‘ unbelievable one dimensional characters , unsympathetic protagonist I couldn’t care what happened to. Lost the will to live half way through, just skim read the end chapter to confirm my suspicions. Utter tripe.
Karen Bennett
Aug 13, 2019
Paul Johnson
Aug 25, 2019
Marilyn Hatch
rated it did not like it
Oct 17, 2019
Ann Coles
Jul 30, 2019
Debbie Collinson
Aug 08, 2019
Ann Spencer
Aug 16, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »
Jane Holland is a poet and novelist with nearly thirty published novels, six collections of poetry, and dozens of short fiction titles under this and other names. The middle child of romance legend Charlotte Lamb, she grew up in Essex and later the Isle of Man before returning to the British mainland as an adult.

Nomadic by nature, Jane Holland currently resides in the South West of Eng