Start by marking “Doing Time (The Time Police #1)” as Want to Read:
Doing Time (The Time Police #1)

Doing Time

(The Time Police #1)

Introducing The Time Police, the brand-new series by i nternational bestselling author, Jodi Taylor - an irresistible spinoff from the much-loved Chronicles of St Mary's series. Perfect reading for fans of Doctor Who, Ben Aaronovitch and Jasper Fforde.

'Inventive and entertaining... a fast-paced and fun first book in what promises to be an excellent new series' Culturefly

A long time ago in the future, the secret of ti

Kindle Edition
Published October 17th 2019 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Doing Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doing Time

Sara
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Doing Time is a new 'spin off' series from the popular historical science fiction St Mary's novels from Jodi Taylor, and follows new Time Police recruits Jane, Luke and a certain Matthew Farrell.

In the not too distant future, the world has discovered time travel. Countries, people and historical events blink in and out of existence as vigilantes seek to remake history to their own advantage. To comb
Mark
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning, in the future, the discovery of time travel became known to all. As a result, chaos reigned, history was written and re-written and the world nearly ended in the Time Wars.

In order to stop this, the Time Police were created. An international organisation with near-unlimited powers to perform their duty, to keep the timelines straight. Time travel is now punishable by death, the sentencing of which by the Time Police is now accepted  without question.

The
K B
Sep 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5*

This was amazing, funny and original-I cannot wait for more!

The Time Police is a very original and unique story that follows Jane, Matthew and Luke, three people who join the time police for very different reasons, all of whom are seen as weird and likely to fail. Jane joins after breaking her grandmothers seagull (sorry but you will have to read the book to hear more about this event ;D). She is quiet, nervous and anxious and seems extraordinarily unlikely to be particularly useful. Howev
Rachel Glass
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest opinion.

As a long time St Mary's fan, I was extremely excited to be approved for the first Time Police spin-off. Although enjoyment of this book is greatly heightened by a more in-depth acquaintance with Max et al, it's not necessary in order to appreciate the story.

Jane, Luke and Matthew are entertaining and unlikely recruits for the Time Police, and their escapades are gripping and amusing. It'
Kath
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so glad that I decided to give the sci-fi genre a whirl having resisted for so long, for pretty much no reason other than I didn't think I'd enjoy it! This is a new author to me so I have never read the Chronicles of St Mary's series of book which, I believe, this book is a spinoff from. That said, I don't feel I have missed anything as the part played by St Mary's is adequately explained herein.
So, the secret of time travel isn't anymore; a secret that is. It's available to all, and
S.J. Higbee
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is Taylor’s trademark humour, along with moments of real lump-in-the-throat poignancy – I don’t know anyone else who can swing the mood around from tears to laughter and back again with such conviction. What has been reined in a tad in this first book of a new series, is the anarchic mayhem that regularly breaks out in a St Mary’s book as those historians get an idea they want to test. I found it significant that the only time Taylor cuts loose in the same way, is when one of the character ...more
Suzie
Sep 30, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book for free from NetGalley to provide an unbiased review.

Preamble:

I'm guessing most people who are interested in reading 'Doing Time' are up to date with the Chronicles of St Mary's ' series - I've only read the first 3. I am enjoying them immensely and thought I'd try this spin off... Yes, I'm an idiot! To any in the same position as myself, I would catch up with CoSM and then start this. There are a few 'spoilers ' so bear that in mind.

Revi
Sue Butler
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for sending me an e-copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

The Time Police: An organisation who's job it is to keep the timeline straight: Team 236 (Team Weird) 3 recruits who don't quite fit.

This is a spin-off to Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's series. I have to say I haven't read any of them and apart from a few references, I didn't feel I was missing anything (I do now want to read that series though!)
Bonnie Demoss
Oct 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jodi Taylor has done it again. A spinoff of her wonderful St. Mary's Chronicles, Doing Time is the story of Matthew, Jane, and Luke, trainees in the Time Police. Matthew is of course the son of Max and Leon from the St. Mary's Chronicles. There is mystery, laughter, and intrigue all rolled up in one story as the trio become Time Police cadets, and are faced with opposition from the Albayans, the leftover followers of the late Colonel Albay, the former Time Police leader and unapologetic fascist, ...more
Paul Sparks
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read the other reviews about this book and they have left me with feelings of inadequacy as they are very eloquent and descriptive, my review does not need to expand on their articulations.

I have never read any books by this author so came to this with no preconceptions, I thought this book was funny, very funny, sad at times and addressed issues in current society, the quintessential Britishness of it is a joy to behold and looking at the current state of my homeland probably
Gemma
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disclaimer * I'm a huge fan.
Doing time was so good! Reading the chronicles of st.marys first is not a must, but i highly recommend it. We all know Matthew's backstory (and if not, as aforementioned), but Luke and Jane are new to us. You could read doing time as a stand alone, but reading the chronicles of st.marys first make for such a richer experience.
Rachel Glass
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
As usual, NetGalley does not link with the version of the book I read!!
Andy Angel
Sep 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A rather excellent return to Jodi Taylor's world.
Sep 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5. I hadn’t come across the St Mary’s Chronicles, so was totally new to this. Loved it and want more. Full review coming on the British Fantasy Society
Rebecca
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book had me in absolute hysterics! If you ever want to read a book so true to British culture then this is the one for you. I found the premise intriguing and the book did not let me down. Taylor manages to take you from our current generation to ancient Egypt, the colonisation of Australia, Ancient Rome and the future with relative ease and wit. If you go into this experiencing a serious look into the effects of time travel, I’m afraid you will be sorely disappointed. However if you’re loo ...more
Patricia Latham
Sep 17, 2019
Barbara Sullivan
Vicki
Jul 30, 2019
Jodi Taylor is, and always has been, a complete history nut. It takes vast amounts of chocolate to get her out of bed for anything after 1485. And if it's raining, there's no chance.

Habitually tongue-tied when asked to talk about herself, she gets round this by describing herself as tall, incredibly beautiful, witty and technically proficient.

The Chronicles of St Mary's -