Start by marking “The Crossing (Detective Louise Blackwell #1)” as Want to Read:
The Crossing (Detective Louise Blackwell #1)

The Crossing

(Detective Inspector Louise Blackwell #1)

In a small town full of secrets, everyone’s a suspect.

When a body is discovered, bled dry on a beach, the sleepy seaside town of Weston-super-Mare wakes up to a nightmare. For Detective Inspector Louise Blackwell, recently transferred to the town she last saw as a child, it’s her first case on the job.

The victim—Veronica Lloyd, an elderly volunteer at a local church—has

Expected publication: February 14th 2020 by Thomas & Mercer

To ask other readers questions about The Crossing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crossing

Start your review of The Crossing (Detective Louise Blackwell #1)
PamG
THE CROSSING by Matt Brolly is a police procedural and the first book in the Detective Inspector (DI) Louise Blackwell series. It is set most in and near Weston-super-Mare in England. When the body of an older woman is found on a beach, DI Blackwell becomes the senior investigating officer. As Louise and her team work to identify and capture the murderer there are also personal issues that are weaved into the story line.

While this book is a police procedural, the reader knows who the killer is
Xavier Hugonet
Jan 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs
Before reviewing this title, I first have to confess I’m quite fond of British crime dramas. The cover and description of The Crossing immediately evoked shows such as Broadchurch and Happy Valley, leading me to happily delve into its pages.

In the fallout of the last case she worked at Bristol’s Major Investigation Team, DI Louise Blackwell was summarily transferred to the small seaside town of Weston while her manipulative narcissistic ex-partner, Timothy Finch, enjoyed a promotion to DCI.

Joyce
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
2 stars

Not as good as his Michael Lambert books. There is too much angst about Louise's past and her demons. She was written as weak and emotional – certainly not a strong woman. Not someone I'd see as a SIO on an important murder case.

Not a bad book, just not my style.

I want to thank NetGalley and Amazon Publishing UK for forwarding to me a copy of this book for me to read and review.
Alexia Capsomidis
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading The Crossing and thought it was excellent. I loved how the characters of DI Blackwell and the perpetrator are developed throughout the book against the backdrop of Weston-super-mare and cannot wait to read more in this series.

Keeps you gripped throughout, interweaving the case and DI Blackwell’s own personal turmoils as she tries to solve the murders.

Definitely a must read!
Elaine Tomasso
Jan 13, 2020 rated it liked it
I would like to thank Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for an advance copy of The Crossing, the first novel to feature DI Louise Blackwell, set in the English resort town of Weston-super-Mare.

When the mutilated body of pensioner Veronica Lloyd is found on the beach Louise is keen to get stuck into her first real murder investigation in Weston. When the body of a priest, known to Veronica, is found with similar injuries there is no doubt that they are hunting a killer with an agenda.

I
Alison
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a really well written book. It is a little different than the Lambert series, less procedural, but for me that is a strength. I loved the character development, and the dark atmosphere of the book.
Lynsey
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This is the first in a new series for Matt Brolly and I haven’t read any of his work before, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this book. I liked the character of Louise - broken from a past history with her last boss Finch, but was still a strong and determined character. You can see the re-emergence of her personality as the story progresses, finally get the strength to confront her history and have the self-confidence in her abilities.

The protagonist Geoff I couldn’t help but feel a
Leila Benhamida
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Completely in love with this book. I am actually just discovering this author. The story is developing brilliantly and really keep you hooked from start the finish. I absolutely love everything about the story. The plot is excellent and the ending is nicely done.
Andy Angel
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good start to a new series for Matt Brolly. It's always a good sign when you are constantly looking for a few spare minutes so you can read a few more pages.

Definitely sets things up to be a good ongoing series so I'll certainly be looking out for the next.

And if you haven't read any of his other books give them a go, you might just be glad you did
Melanie
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Matt Brolly novel I have read and I've now added him to my list of writers to look out for.
As police procedural thrillers go its up there with the good ones.
Tense, well written and absorbing, I did struggle to put it down.
Many thanks
Bonnye Reed
Dec 30, 2019 is currently reading it
Netgalley
pub date Feb 15, 2020
Thomas & Mercer
Paul Bailey
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent start to a new series. Lead character is wonderful- complexing and challenging - and the plot is a stunner. Can’t wait for book 2
Gee
Jan 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now based in Weston Super Mare, DI Louise Blackwell is still trying to get back on track after being reprimanded for an incident where a man died. With her partner, Tim Finch giving a totally different version of events, it’s Louise that gets blamed, and misses out on promotion. Her first murder case in Weston is an elderly lady who has been tortured. Next a priest is murdered, and has similar injuries. Her boss trusts her judgement, but Tim, now the DCI in charge of the Bristol based Murder ...more
Jen
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it
The Crossing is the first in a new series featuring Detective Louise Blackwell by Matt Brolly. The Crossing begins with the brutal murder of a pensioner, an older, retired woman with no known enemies. Among other injuries are two puncture wounds in her wrists. Then an elderly Catholic priest is also found murdered in a grisly manner. Are the murders random or selected for a personal reason?

Shocked at the murder of two elderly and seemingly good people, Louise struggles to find the connection.
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I would like to begin by thanking Netgalley and Amazon Publishing UK for the opportunity to read this book. I tried to like this book, reread I g chapters hoping I had missed something but I simply did not like this book. The description sounded great and I love murder mystery/police stories but this one was flat. I found nothing to like about Louise or to dislike about Geoff. Perhaps it was the lack of description or details but they were boring and there was nothing about them to make me care. ...more
Susana Rio
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. #MattBrolly, #AmazonPublishing UK and #Netgalley UK for giving me the opportunity to review The Crossing ahead of its publishing day.
This is the first book I am reading of Matt Brolly but I look forward to catching up on his previous books and future books in this serie.
With compelling writing and showing his criminal law knowledge, the book was chilling and exciting. Although I felt it was slow paced at the beginning The Crossing gets more and more
Andy Angel
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it

Kathryn Garner
Difficult mystery for the detectives to solve,not many clues and no clear link between victims. Good characters and a story which moved quickly along.
jenny brown
Nov 13, 2019
Cindy
added it
Nov 20, 2019

• The Murder House (DCI Matilda Darke, #5)
  • Black 13
  • The Truth About Murder
  • DCI Anna Tate series Book 3 (DCI Anna Tate #3)
  • Bitter Falls (Stillhouse Lake #4)
  • Her Secret Past
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • The Man on the Street
  • Firewatching
  • Hold Your Tongue (DI Eve Hunter, #1)
  • The Monsters We Make
  • A Conspiracy of Bones (Temperance Brennan #19)
  • The Guesthouse
  • Stasi Winter (Karin Müller #5)
  • Why She Ran
  • The Familiar Dark
  • The Argument
  • All the Hidden Truths

Following his law degree where he developed an interest in criminal law, Matt Brolly completed his Masters in Creative Writing at Glasgow University.

He is the bestselling author of the DCI Lambert crime novels, Dead Eyed, Dead Lucky and Dead Embers. The fourth in the series, Dead Time, was released by Canelo in May 2018. In addition he is the author of the acclaimed near future crime novel,