Start by marking “Return to the Enchanted Island” as Want to Read:
Return to the Enchanted Island

Return to the Enchanted Island

In this exhilarating prize-winning novel—only the second to be published in English from Madagascar—a young man comes of age amidst the enchanted origin myths of his island country.

Named after the first man at the creation of the world in Malagasy mythology, Ietsy Razak was raised to perpetuate the glory of his namesake and expected to be as illuminated as his Great Ancestor. Bu

Published November 5th 2019 by Amazon Crossing

To ask other readers questions about Return to the Enchanted Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Return to the Enchanted Island

Start your review of Return to the Enchanted Island
Lilisa
I was eager to read this book - my first set in Madagascar, winner of the Grand Prix de l’Océan Indien, apparently only the second to be published in English from Madagascar. The book is about Ietsy Razak, namesake of the first man created in the world according to Malagasy mythology. The scion of a well-to-do family, Ietsy is steeped in his privileged upbringing, focused on himself, and lackadaisical in his approach. Spoiled as a young child, following a tragedy, he is sent off to France and co ...more
Lisa Carter
Nov 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Return to the Enchanted Island by Johary Ravaloson, translated by Allison M. Charette, offers a glimpse into Madagascar’s past and present in this origin and coming-of-age story.

Protagonist Ietsy Razak is “blessed by the Gods and Ancestors.” A member of the ruling elite, he wants for nothing—except love and a sense of purpose. Ietsy is not an entirely likeable character, but perhaps that only makes him more real.

The story is told as a series of flashbacks through Ietsy’s life in Mad
Nursebookie
"Return to the Enchanted Island" by Johary Ravaloson and translated by Allison Charette.

This books is only the second book to be translated from Madagascar to English, and has won the Prix du Roman de l'Ocean Indien prize.

The book is divided into three massive chapters- Ietsy Razak's early life in Madagascar, his life in a boarding school in France and then his return to the "enchanted island", as Madagascar is also lovingly named. The story was okay for me, I pushed through almost
Anna Luce
DNF 20%
I'm not sure if I should blame the format I've been reading but I'm finding that each paragraph of this novella is very dense, so much so that I often could not make sense of what I was being told. The writing also uses a lot of terms that don't really fit with what is being addressed or described.
The somewhat disjointed yet impenetrable prose also implemented brackets in an incorrect way: for example at 11% there are about 100 words between two bracket...this didn't really add anything to the style or the stsomewhat
CRz lowkey.bookish
Thank you @amazonpublishing for my gifted Advance Readers Copy of Return to the Enchanted Island.

The Enchanted Island is another name for Madagascar. Return to the Enchanted Island is essentially, a modern retelling of Madagascar’s origin story. The story is told through Ietsy, whose ancestor was the first man who created the world according to Malagasy mythology. However, Ietsy is a modern young man, so how can he live up to his “Great Ancestor”?

I really liked reading ab
Kathleen Gray
This is a challenge to read and it ha a very unlikable protagonist in Ietsy. However, it's the only novel I've read from Madagascar so props to the publisher for the translation into English. It basically follows the life of a privileged man from his home in Madagascar to a dissolute life in France and then back home again. A lot is packed into this novella. Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC. It's worth a read but it doesn't give as much flavor of the country as you might expect.
Morgan Goodling
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was very happy to receive a free copy of this eBook from the Goodreads giveaways. I did not finish reading this book, I made it about 30% of the way through. The most enjoyable part was learning more about the mythology of Madagascar. I had a bit of a hard time following the writing, I think it might have had to do with the translation.
Claire Yamagata
Nov 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I got this book as a Goodreads Giveaway. I've tried twice to finish reading, but I just couldn't take it past the halfway point. I got bogged down by the complexities and having to backtrack often.

I'm sure there are some that will enjoy this book, but this one was not meant to be for me.
Marlana
Nov 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
I won this ebook on Goodreads but I couldn't get a quarter way through. Too many names of everything...I struggled to get as far as I did.
Kristin Lunghamer
Aug 12, 2019
Teresa
Oct 30, 2019
Rian Lorenzo
rated it did not like it
Nov 10, 2019
Kathi
Oct 07, 2019
Haingo
Oct 12, 2019

• Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • Cilka's Journey (The Tattooist of Auschwitz, #2)
  • Die ewigen Toten (David Hunter #6)
  • Cristallisation Secrète
  • How We Disappeared
  • Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)
  • Clementine Churchill: A Life in Pictures
  • Gulp: Adventures on the Alimentary Canal
  • The Quaker (Duncan McCormack #1)
  • Wonton Terror (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Why Do I Feel Like an Imposter?: How to Understand and Cope with Imposter Syndrome
  • Khi Tách Cà Phê Còn Chưa Nguội
  • At the Wolf's Table
  • فئران أمي حصة
  • Jade War (The Green Bone Saga, #2)
  • Shamus Dust: Hard Winter. Cold War. Cool Murder.
  • Catacomb