Start by marking “I testamenti” as Want to Read:
I testamenti

I testamenti

(The Handmaid's Tale #2)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  12,657 ratings  ·  2,175 reviews
In questo brillante sequel del Racconto dell'ancella, Margaret Atwood risponde alle domande che hanno perseguitato i lettori per decenni.

Il racconto dell’ancella si chiude con la porta del furgone che sbatte sul futuro di Difred. Milioni di lettori si sono chiesti che ne sarà di lei… Libertà, prigione, morte?

L'attesa è finita.

Il nuovo romanzo, I testamenti, riprende la st

Published September 10th 2019 by Ponte alle Grazie

Win a Copy of This Book

• The Testaments by Margaret Atwood
    The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
    Release date: Sep 10, 2019
    In this brilliant sequel to THE HANDMAID'S TALE, acclaimed author Margaret Atwood answers the questions that have tantalized readers for decades.

When

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 20647 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Sep 15 - Oct 15, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about I testamenti, please sign up.
    Zachary Ephrem Some people get the books early, but some of it might just be nefarious behavior too. GoodReads really needs better quality control on pre-order…moreSome people get the books early, but some of it might just be nefarious behavior too. GoodReads really needs better quality control on pre-order books, sort of like Steam gaming platform doesn't let people review games unless the game is already out(less)

·  12,657 ratings  ·  2,175 reviews

Emily May
    Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: modern-lit, 2019
    I can sum it up simply: this book is not needed.

I hoped that wouldn't be the case. I really really hoped Atwood had something important to add to the world of Gilead with this book, but she honestly doesn't. If anything, The Testaments serves only to weaken the power of The Handmaid's Tale.

In the past, I have spoken highly of authors who are not afraid to "be evil" with their books. This may give the impression that they are doing something particularly nefarious, but, in fact, it’s not so much
    Marchpane
    Sep 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: 2019
    Return to Gilead

Check your expectations at the door: The Testaments is a highly entertaining page turner, but it is also probably quite different from whatever you were anticipating.

It differs from its 1985 antecedent, The Handmaid's Tale, in tone, voice and literary heft. That earlier book had a power and a gravitas that is not recaptured here. For me the most striking thing about The Handmaid’s Tale has always been Atwood’s choice of narrator. Offred (in the book she has no other name) is so c
    Tatiana
    Nov 28, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: big fans of the TV show version
    I guess I'll have to be the one who says what nobody else is willing to say. This novel is terrible. I can't decide which work Atwood should be embarrassed for more - Angel Catbird, Vol. 1 or The Testaments. The book doesn't read like a novel written by one of the most lauded authors of the 20st century. The Testaments reads like a standard-issue feminist YA dystopia, filled with every overused dystopian trope and every stereotype, penned by an author who writes for teen audience, and is publish ...more
    Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
    So I just found out about this, Margaret Atwood revealed it via twitter yesterday. I even had to create the book data myself on goodreads so I could write this update. I really did not see this coming. (did anyone?)

I'm excited and surprised. The Handmaid's Tale felt like such a closed book, so it will be real interesting to see where this one goes. I wonder if she decided to write this after the success of the television adaptation or the show was made because this book was being written.

Eit
    Lisa
    Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: margaret-atwood
    "How tedious is a tyranny in the throes of enactment. It's always the same plot."

So why does Margaret Atwood choose to tell the story again? That question has haunted me since I heard the announcement of the project almost a year ago. WHY? I was convinced I would hate the hype and the gushing reviews and the book itself, and started reading with the attitude of someone who knew the story didn't need telling again.

To my surprise, I liked it from the start, and soon engaged in the thriller unfold
    Charlotte May
    Holy shit is this real? Because I need it!
    Meike
    Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shortlisted for the Booker Prize 2019
    This is a flashy, placative, but also intelligent thriller, here to make some points about society and to entertain - it's certainly not the most layered or subtle literature ever written, but you know what? It's engaging, rather suspenseful and great fun to read, full of quips and commentary on the world we live in, and sometimes, that's more than enough. And honestly: The Handmaid's Tale wasn't particularly ambiguous or enigmatic either.

As we already know
    Nilufer Ozmekik
    Only two stars for the love of Aunt Lydia! If she wasn’t in this book, I could do something first by giving minus five stars to a book! See how I disliked and how I felt frustrated about this hope stealing, time wasting, one of the biggest failures of the year!!!! One of the tasteless testament you could ever have!

2019 could be one of this year I got really disappointed by movies, series books. They were like several ugly stabs to your stomach. I was unlucky to read Cari Mora ( After 13 years of
    Diane Barnes
    Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    When it comes to highly anticipated books, assuming it's one I actually want to read, I like to get hold of a copy early on and read it before the hype gets started. In this case, I re-read Handmaid's Tale a few months ago to get a fresh take, then put a hold on this one at the library to ensure being at the head of the line. I did watch the first season of the Hulu series, since I had been told that followed the first book very closely, but stopped there until the book was published.

My opinion
    Hugh
    Shortlisted for the Booker Prize 2019

I can't help but be a little disappointed with this book. In my view The Handmaid's Tale didn't need a sequel, but I suppose we can't begrudge Atwood the opportunity to cash in on the popularity of the TV version. In my view this book is not worthy of a Booker shortlisting, and is possibly the weakest of the Atwood novels I have read.

There are two main problems - firstly by alternating the accounts of three narrators, the distinctive voices are lost, and seco
    Alice Lippart
    Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-in-2019
    Really, really loved getting to revisit this world and the people in it.
    Nick
    Aug 16, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    this is the most unexpected thing of 2019 so far
    Gumble's Yard
    Shortlisted for the 2019 Booker Prize.

You’ll labour over this manuscript of mine, reading and rereading, picking nits as you go.

I was fortunate enough to attend one of the live cinema screenings of the readings and author Q&A from the National Theatre on the evening of the book's official publication, managing to complete my first read of the book just as the event started.

The event was excellent - and I think only reinforced my view that Handmaid's Tale is a great works of fiction. Great
    Ron Charles
    Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    “The Testaments” opens in Gilead about 15 years after “The Handmaid’s Tale,” but it’s an entirely different novel in form and tone. Inevitably, the details are less shocking — at least in part because the horrors of Gilead’s male-centered theocracy are already so well known. When Offred first told her “sad and mutilated story,” we were hearing about the hangings, the Unbabies and the Sons of Jacob for the first time. But by now, Gildead’s breeding Ceremony is a creepy cultural touchstone.

Atwood
    Tucker
    Dec 04, 2018 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: reviewed
    Edit (2): OMG! I just noticed the girl stretching (?) In the ladies cloak
    EDit: WE HAVE A COVER (?) I don't really understand. it's like the same cover as book one
    OH MY GOSH! I'M SO EXCITED. but I need to know... Which dum-dum gave this a low rating?

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Buy | Reddit
    Doug
    Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    4.5, rounded up.

I think there is no way this book WASN'T going to be polarizing, simply due to the anticipation and hype surrounding it. And in one sense, yes, I was (very slightly) disappointed that there wasn't more to it. But since I read it virtually back to back with a reread of Handmaid's, they more or less coalesced into one seamless novel - and I must say I enjoyed it immensely. Even those who have nitpicked and dismissed the novel, seemed to have devoured it in one or two days, and sinc
    Paul Fulcher
    Here I also keep another set of files, accessible only to a very few; I think of them as the secret histories of Gilead. All that festers is not gold, but it can be made profitable in non-monetary ways: knowledge is power.
    Aunt Lydia

It was an “extraordinarily complicated process” to get copies of the manuscript, which is protected by a “ferocious” non-disclosure agreement.
    Chair of Booker Judges as told to the Guardian

When, in 2197, the Thirteenth Symposium on Amazonian Studies takes place, the as
    Riley Redgate
    to be perfectly honest i kind of wish this wasn’t happening. part of what i loved about the original was how hermetically sealed it felt, to the degree that a sequel or an expansion practically feels like it breaks the structure?

but like. it’s margaret atwood, so i will read it and probably love it and look back on this pre-review as me being whiny and averse to change. i hope
    Michelle Hilbrands
    Fantastic! I was one of the lucky ones that didn't have to wait long for the sequel. It was quite satisfyingly. There was an annoying character, but I can overlook that. It's like life, we're not all perfect. Highly recommend it.
    Isabel
    Nov 28, 2018 marked it as anticipated-releases  ·  review of another edition
    Honestly, I'm scared.
    Jessica Jeffers
    Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: fiction
    While this doesn't have the same impact as The Handmaid's Tale, largely because the shock value is gone at this point, I was not disappointed by this.

I am only giving it four stars because one plot point strikes me as a little too far-fetched, even in the world of Gilead, but I may have missed some details in my fervor to read this as quickly as possible. I may re-evaluate after a closer reading.
    Ric
    Sequels that happen so many years after the original usually don’t work out, but this was just as good as the original. I would actually argue that The Testaments was somehow better The Handmaid’s Tale, which is definitely not something I thought I’d say going into it. This was an exceptional book, and if for some reason it’s not on your list you need to change that right now.

I loved so many things about this book. The three different POVs were all interesting, and I loved how they all came tog
    Sara
    Nov 28, 2018 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
    I’m so excited for this 😬😬😬
    Rachel
    Officially my most anticipated read of 2019. Cannot wait for this!
    Heather
    Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Sunili
    Sep 11, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Omg this was so obnoxiously predictable, so forced, and so trite.....

Do I hate it this so much because it’s so triggering and the realities of VAW shit in the news means I can’t see the point in novels about it?

Because I’ve sat with so many REAL women telling me their experiences of being living in Iran/Pakistan/Afghanistan and going with people smugglers to escape to Indonesia/Australia, so the made up stories have no shock value?

Because I’ve read much more creatively fictionalised parables bas
    Susie Amiatu
    Well that was a ginormous disappointment. I’ll write a review when I’ve recovered.
    1.5 rounded up

I’m glad pretty much everyone seems to have enjoyed this more than I have... I’ll write my grumpy review at some point this weekend!
    André Oliveira
    Nov 28, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: coming
    O M G
    Abbie | ab_reads

Although I don’t think Atwood pulled a spectacular second book showstopper à la Year of the Flood again, The Testaments definitely stood up in its own right for me! It felt quite different to The Handmaid’s Tale but it would be impossible not to, being written 34 years after the fact.
    Where THT feels almost claustrophobic at times, always being in Offred’s head, with The Testaments we get a much wider narrative, allowing us to gain a bigger picture of Gilead, its unfortunate inhabitant
    The Mookse and th...: 2019 Booker Shortlist: The Testaments 211 296 Sep 20, 2019 01:05AM
    Play Book Tag: The Testaments - Margaret Atwood 4/5 8 41 Sep 19, 2019 01:15PM
    SciFi and Fantasy...: "The Testaments" 43 90 Sep 19, 2019 01:21AM
    Margaret Atwood was born in 1939 in Ottawa and grew up in northern Ontario, Quebec, and Toronto. She received her undergraduate degree from Victoria College at the University of Toronto and her master's degree from Radcliffe College.

Throughout her writing career, Margaret Atwood has received numerous awards and honourary degrees. She is the author of more than thirty-five volumes of poetry, childr

• The City We Became
    • Afterland
    • The Glass Hotel
    • Recursion
    • The Place on Dalhousie
    • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
    • What Monstrous Gods
    • Wanderers
    • Middlegame
    • Mrs. Everything
    • Black Mirror: Volume I
    “The inventor of the mirror did few of us any favours: we must have been happier before we knew what we looked like.” 14 likes
    “You don’t believe the sky is falling until a chunk of it falls on you.” 13 likes