Start by marking “The Once and Future King (Rat Queens Vol. 7)” as Want to Read:
The Once and Future King (Rat Queens Vol. 7)

The Once and Future King

(Rat Queens #7)

A vengeful presence from the past forces the Rat Queens to face their own demons in order to save everything they've ever loved! Can the Queens hold their own legacy together when faced with their greatest challenge yet? A whole new era for the Rat Queens begins here, chronicled by a brand new creative team!
Published February 18th 2020 by Image Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Once and Future King, please sign up.
Isaiah A new team took over the series in June, 2019.…moreA new team took over the series in June, 2019. (less)

Start your review of The Once and Future King (Rat Queens Vol. 7)
Melissa
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
Still a pick, but I have to admit that the twisted timeline and some of the storyline shifts are still pulling me out of the pure fun of the originals.... heres hoping that the next volume will start to pull the 2 timelines between the original and this world back together. ...more
Zedsdead
Feb 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Gary, now somehow a powerful warrior-king with an army, conquers Palisade and rules as a petty tyrant. Scrawny perpetual-fuck-up Gary from volume one. Who has a grudge against the admittedly abusive Rat Queens. That Gary.

The new creative team does a reasonably good job emulating series creator Kurtis Wiebe, but thats not always a good thing. The Queens entertaining sass and brass is preserved, but The Once and Future King also embraces the incoherent plot thrombosis that derailed Wiebes
Devann
actual rating: 3.5

Not quite as good as the previous volume but still miles better than the few before that. Definitely reminds me of the earlier issues in terms of tone and action and also brings back a couple old characters. Hopefully this series continues on this track in the future because when Rat Queens is good it's really good. I am sad about Violet not really being present though, even if the new Queens are great.
Nicholas Kaufmann
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another fun romp through the Rat Queens' D&D-on-crack world, this time under the guidance of new writer Ryan Ferrier. The transition from Kurtis J. Wiebe's writing to Ferrier's is seamless. The characters, settings, and absurd adventures remain instantly recognizable. This volume starts with a standalone adventure called "Swamp Romp" that's fun, charming, and had me laughing out loud. I promise you'll never look at unicorns the same way again. The adventure that fills the rest of the volume, ...more
Josh
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Rat queens has been a long and uneven road, but it's finding its way once again. With a new creative team at the helm, this is one of the most coherent volumes we've seen in quite some time. The characters remain great, the fantasy remains epic and completely irreverent, and the adventure is as big as ever. There's definitely a different feel here compared to the high point of the earliest volumes, but the new team is staying true to all that has happened, making sense of the rather convoluted ...more
Holly Geez
Mar 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
It's a far fall from Vol.1. I found Rat Queens during a rough spot in life and it reminded me what happiness felt like (this was before my depression diagnoses and subsequent medication), so I have a great fondness for it. The following volumes were good, as well, but things really took a turn when Tess Fowler became the series' artist and it was clear Kurtis Wiebe (creator and original writer) was suffering, too, at the hands of this abusive artist. That's a different story.

There was an uptick
Nathan
Feb 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
3.5 to be honest. There was a lot of fun return to form from the first few volumes, but given all the time line buggery that happens in the previous few installments it was hard to remember what the heck was going on. I understand the importance of creating a narrative and that the rat Queens hacking and slashing through monsters of the week can't go on forever but I hope this volume is indication that we're going to be on more firm ground going forward. I'm looking forward to seeing what the ...more
Laura K Calkins-Torres
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's been awhile since I could give Rat Queens a higher rating. I'm really happy there is a new creative team and I look forward to the direction they are headed. Was also nice to see Dave & Violet briefly. Although I still don't complete understand the different time plots and realms, this story was at least followable with hope for a satisfying conclusion.
Emily
Mar 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Rat Queens have had a bumpy ride with all the different illustrators over the years and now even a completely new writer. I did like this volume though. The storyline was much improved from some of the previous ones, not sure how I feel about this artist, it was very well done, I just dont know that its my favorite look the Queens have ever had. Looking forward to the next one. ...more
Sharon
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Might be rounding up a bit. The Rat Queens are back! Most of them, anyway. It's a rude romp as usual, but with a couple of twists that made sense and a few that didn't quite land. Ferrier kept the tone of the original writing. The art is spot-on, and the short story at the beginning is a whole lot of fun. Looking forward to the next volume already.
Jennifer Ranger
Feb 22, 2020 rated it liked it
So, I ended up loving this volume. The Swamp Romp Special was great, but then chapters/issues 16 and 17 were a bit slow (for a Rat Queens book). After that, it took off with lots of action and comic, gory mayhem. I did end up loving it. I'm anxious to see what the next volume will bring.
Kelsey
Feb 23, 2020 rated it liked it
So...the artists have changed almost every volume...but now even the writer has handed over the reigns to someone else. Bits of this were entertaining, but i feel like the Queens lost what made them great a while ago and never really got it back...
Adam
Mar 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, comic-volumes
After Palisade, the Rat Queens home is invaded by an annoying new villain, who captures the queens and completely takes over Palisade. After a string of mediocre volumes, this seventh volume of Rat Queens was a great volume, one reminding me of the beginning of this series.
Kaye
Mar 14, 2020 rated it did not like it
Honestly I think I'm done reading this series. The story doesn't really make linear sense anymore. The plot is just repeating itself over and over again. And I hate to say it, but the artwork in this volume in particular was not great. :/
Cheryl
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Maddie is amazing, and Betty has to detox. All the Queens have to deal with the consequences of their actions. Watch them come back together as a family.
Stefan
Mar 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
If only Gary would have shut the eff up
Matthew
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Is still fun but new writer hasnt quite got the voice of the characters set yet, and it disrupts immersion and suspension of disbelief. ...more
Loulose
Feb 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Syns dessverre at denne serien blir progressivt dårligere.
Kat
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Really disappointing. I love these characters but they have been written really weirdly and not in a good way. It's also really vulgar, repetitively so and so a bit ewwwww now. Sad sad times.
Alli
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
I feel like the new art may have a bit of a same face issue, but it's still the same old Rat Queens I've always loved. Keep it coming.
Art
I love this series. The characters continue to grow and change. Prior actions have consequences. And, best of all, it is a whole lot of freaking fun!
J.A.
Feb 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Now with a new creative team? Probably time to let this one go, guys.
Sebastien
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-comics-bd
I like the new directions of the queens(writer and illustrator)
TV’S Kevin Lanigan
Glad I decided to continue reading after the creative team changed. I love these characters and am so invested in their journey. This was another worthy chapter in the rocky history of the Rat Queens.
Patrick
Mar 13, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Die, Vol. 2: Split the Party
  • Invisible Kingdom, Vol. 1
  • Indoor Recess (Lumberjanes, Vol. 13)
  • Giant Days Vol. 12
  • Slots #6
  • Slots #5
  • Lazarus, Vol. 6: Fracture I
  • Die, Vol. 1: Fantasy Heartbreaker
  • Gideon Falls, Vol. 3: Stations of the Cross
  • Ascender, Vol. 1: The Haunted Galaxy
  • "Okay" (The Wicked + The Divine #9)
  • Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)
  • Inferno
  • Pym
  • Steeple
  • Madman Adventures Collection
  • H.G. Wells' the Island of Doctor Moreau
  • Monstress, Vol. 4: The Chosen

Rat Queens (7 books)
  • Sass & Sorcery (Rat Queens, #1)
  • The Far Reaching Tentacles of N'rygoth (Rat Queens, #2)
  • Demons (Rat Queens, #3)
  • High Fantasies (Rat Queens, #4)
  • The Colossal Magic Nothing (Rat Queens, #5)
  • The Infernal Path (Rat Queens #6)