Start by marking “The Jumbie God's Revenge (The Jumbies)” as Want to Read:
The Jumbie God's Revenge (The Jumbies)

The Jumbie God's Revenge

(The Jumbies #3)

In book three of the popular Jumbies series, Corinne must use her emerging supernatural powers to battle the angry god who would destroy her Caribbean island home.

When an out-of-season hurricane sweeps through Corinne’s seaside village, Corinne knows it’s not a typical storm. At first Corinne believes Mama D’Leau—the powerful and cruel jumbie who rules the ocean—has cause
Published September 3rd 2019 by Algonquin Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Jumbie God's Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Jumbie God's Revenge

Melissa
The Jumbie God's Revenge is a pretty good Middle Grade book. Since I haven't read the first two books of the series, I can say that the book can somewhat be read as a standalone, if you're welling to not understand some parts.

In the second half of the book, the change of character point of view every chapter was supposed to build the suspense. But it didn't do that for me, maybe because the chapters were too short. The rhythm was too fast, it was disorienting.

I also didn't understand the very la
Nicole Melleby
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect third story in this trilogy. I love the Jumbies so much.
Hristina
You can also read this review on my blog illbefinealonereads.

A huge thanks to Algonquin Young Readers for the chance to be a part of this blog tour.

The Jumbie God’s Revenge is a terrific conclusion to The Jumbies trilogy. Everything about this series is well executed and intriguing, and the final book doesn’t disappoint.
Mrs. Baptiste’s way of crafting and telling stories is beautiful. Her writing flows very well, and the characters she offers are amazing. I had such a fun time being introduced t
Emily
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Jumbie God's Revenge is the third installment in The Jumbies series. This one was okay. It took me a while to get invested in the story, and I don't feel like much happened in this book. The second half was more interesting to me, though.

I know there wasn't a plan for a third Jumbies book originally, but this just kind of felt unnecessary. The first two books are really entertaining and heartwarming, and I didn't get the same vibes with The Jumbie God's Revenge. The spooky element wasn't re
Cassie Thomas
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once again, I was captivated by Tracey’s storytelling. Corinne is a bad ass girl who seriously defends her friends and family until the end. This series is one I will recommend for a long time. How lucky for my students to have all three readily available; whereas, I had to wait.
Wire bend, story end.

If Tracey wants to write a 4th, I wouldn’t be sad about it😜.
Alyson Stone
Book: The Jumbie God’s Revenge
Author: Tracey Baptiste
Rating: 3 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher, Algonquin Young Readers, for providing me with this ARC.

This is the third and final book of the Jumbies series by Tracey Baptiste. I have read the entire series this month and I must say that they are very written books. They follow Haitian mythology, which is something different. I love the depth of this series and the characters are really flushed out. I love seeing the bonds tha
Divena
I think this series is very well written Middle Grade. The stories all do a good job of standing on their own and you don't have to read the previous book to follow along.

That being said I did not enjoy this one as much as the first two.

Tracey Baptiste does a great job explaining all the Trinidadian and African mythology. And she gives great descriptions of life in Trinidad in the quiet villages. I can almost taste the juicy mangoes and smell the salty sea air. I like the fantastical world she
Paige Green
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Author: Tracey Baptiste

Book Series: The Jumbies Book 3

Rating: 5/5

Publication Date: September 3, 2019

Diversity: Yes! Caribbean!

Recommended Age: 10+ (scary moments with a huge hurricane, might frighten those who aren’t used to them)

Genre: MG Fantasy

Publisher: Algonquin Young Readers

Synopsis: In book three of the popular Jumbies series, Corinne must use her emerging supernatural powers to battle the angry god who
Natalie
Jul 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Looooooved it. I cant even put into words how much i enjoyed this. Tracey really escalated all the action from the previous books as Corinne's actions have consequences for this one.

Loved seeing Mama D Leau, Papa Bois and other jumbies i grew up hearing stories about. It was simply a delight readkng how the author stuck to the basica of the folklore aa i know it but put her own twists on the characters!

Corinne has definitely come into her own here as she has to deal with not only a hurricane th
Cassie Thomas
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wire bend, story end.

If Tracey wants to write a 4th, I wouldn’t be sad about it😜.
Jolie
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t been reading a lot of middle-grade books. My main reason is that I haven’t found ones that intrigue me enough to pick it up and read it. So, imagine my surprise when I realized that I have middle-grade books back to back. The Jumbie God’s revenge is the first of the three that I read.

The blurb for The Jumbie God’s Revenge was what made me accept the publisher’s invite to review. A tween girl going up against a powerful god? Yeah, I wanted to read it.

The Jumbie God’s Revenge was a simpl
Kate Waggoner
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
@kidlitexchange #partner

Thank you to the publisher Algonquin Books and the author Tracey Baptiste for sharing an advance copy of The Jumbie God's Revenge with the #kidlitexchange network. The third book in the Jumbies series will be released in September 2019. All opinions are my own.

Just when life seems to be returning to normal for Corrine, an out-of-season hurricane sweeps across the island. Corrine knows it's more than a typical storm and at first she blames Mama D'Leau. After confronting M
acota tsuki (megan)
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
I didn’t have time to read the other two books in the series and while I knew I was missing things the book was able to hold it’s own and I was able to enjoy it. Tracey Baptiste writing is amazing I didn’t really know what to expected when picking up this book I don’t normally read middle grade but what i got a was a well written book about friendship and family.

After a unexpected hurricane rips though Corrine island home she becomes suspicious that it’s something more it’s not hurricane season
Shakera
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every culture has its myths and legends and folklore, which has been passed down for many generations. When those folklores come to life, you find out what you're capable of. A hurricane hits the Caribbean island, and immediately Corinne Le Mer knows this is no ordinary hurricane. It’s not hurricane season! When Corinne accuses a jumbie, a mythical creature with magical abilities, of creating the tropical storm, she learns the hard way there is something more dangerous than a jumbie.

Corinne has
Angie
Corinne is back from her adventures with the mermaids and Mama D'Leau but she knows things are resolved yet. When an out of season hurricane hits the island, she knows something is up. Then another storm follows quickly behind it and Corinne learns that the god Huracan is responsible. It seems the jumbies had and agreement with Huracan that they would stay in their respective spots (land, sea, air), but Mama D'Leau and Papa Bois have broken that agreement to be together. Corinne herself unwittin ...more
Rachel Knuttel
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.

This is the best Jumbie book yet!!! TJGR is the third book in this series, following THE JUMBIES and RISE OF THE JUMBIES. They are all three delightful and slightly spooky fantasy tales based on Caribbean folktales and classic “Jumbie” stories. Corinne, our heroine, has dealt with jumbies on land in book one and jumbies in the sea in book two - what’s next? jumbies in the sky, of course! The stakes i
Starr
Aug 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First, if you have not started this series, I strongly recommend doing so ASAP. And if you have started it, then get your hands on a copy of this final book, ASAP!

All of the things that made me fall in love with the first book is still here: Corinne's determination, the friends that stick together but also call her out when she needs it, and a village that (eventually) sticks together and tries to live peacefully with all of the creatures on the island.   There is also the fact that no one belie
Akoss
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took my time with this book. I didn't want it to end too soon. But then things heated up and taking a break for day job and mom duties was um... Hard? 😅
I love how elements from book one and two ended up playing parts in this one by adding to the complexity of plot and world building.
Corinne was pushed beyond her limits and as a reader and fan I didn't know what to do with myself when I got to the end.
I'm trying to keep spoilers out. So, as someone who had read the previous 2 books at least twi
Sascha
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2

So, where to begin? Let’s start with: Wow! Tracey Baptiste with The Jumbie God’s Revenge has written a novel that I could not put down even though it was the third in the series (I have not read the other two) and I am more than a wee bit older than the target audience.

Almost immediately after we meet Corinne, her family, and friends, the novel launches into action that does not abate until the last pages.

read more: https://saschadarlington.me/2019/09/0...
Annarella
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, fantasy
A great installment in a great series. Highly recommended!
Many thanks to the publisher and Edelweiss for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Rachel Goldstein
A grand-scale series finale with the feel of a folktale! I'll miss this series, it's one of my favorite MGs
April
Jun 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, young-adult
Got a galley of this upcoming end to the series at a library conference. Delightful as always. Such a great series.
Shakera
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

Corinne has
Olivia
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-reviews
THE JUMBIE GOD'S REVENGE is an even more amazing installment in a middle grade fantasy/horror series. As a third book, I would recommend reading the first two books before leaping into this one, mainly so that you can see the characters grow (but also because they are fantastic reads). There is a big cast in this series, and the first two books really introduce them well. Here, Corinne, a young girl who lives with her father and is half-jumbie, is coming into her own as she again defends her isl ...more
Ms. Yingling
Chris Poma
Feb 06, 2019
LAURI CRUMLEY COATES
Jul 20, 2019
From Thompson-Gale: "Something About the Author"
I have always loved books. My favorite, was an oversized complete Grimm's Fairy Tales with beautiful illustrations, which I lost when my family moved to the United States. I was fascinated by the stories of the tailor who went up against a giant, and clever Hans, who wasn't so clever as well as the more traditional princess stories. When I was about

The Jumbies (3 books)
  • The Jumbies (The Jumbies #1)
  • Rise of the Jumbies (The Jumbies #2)