Start by marking “Fly, Fly Again” as Want to Read:
Fly, Fly Again

Fly, Fly Again

Fly, Fly Again is a clever and charming story about Jenny, a child who dreams of flying. After years of tinkering in makeshift laboratories and studying the mechanics of flight with her pet Hawk, Jenny builds a plane—only to crash into the yard of her skateboarding neighbor, Jude, and his pet cheetah. Working with Jude, Jenny successfully learns how to control and fly her ...more
Published January 7th 2020 by Greenleaf Book Group Press

To ask other readers questions about Fly, Fly Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fly, Fly Again

Start your review of Fly, Fly Again
Briar's Reviews
Fly, Fly Again is a sweet, little children's novel.

I quite liked the overall story - a kid tries to learn to fly by building a machine. Add in the beautiful pictures that really paint this story, and you've got yourself a fun, little book!

I truly love that this book opens up flying and technology to children. It feels very welcoming and open towards the fun engineering can have. It has a cute little rhyming scheme (which I never enjoy, but that's not to say that the readers won't!) that helps
La Coccinelle
Nov 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, children, netgalley
This is a story about a child who tries to build a flying machine. The premise reminded me a little bit of Rosie Revere, Engineer , although that is a much stronger book. Fly, Fly Again suffers from a number of problems that even its cute illustrations can't really overcome.

The meter of the rhyming text is generally okay. But the writing itself has a number of problems, technical and content-wise. The text, unfortunately, appears to be slapped on the page with little thought to layout; there
Natalie
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review via netgalley and the publishers.

What a beautiful rhyming picture book with gorgeous illustrations to boot! This book sends the message if you dont succeed to try again and is an inspirational, uplifting and fun read!
I loved the use of language used and poetic rhyming too that all mixed and flowed together beautifully.
A delightful read all children will enjoy with a positive meaning to all.
Richard
Dec 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The biggest coup for this book was to engage Buzz Aldrin to write a forward to Fly, Fly Again.
He points out key elements in the story. Dedication, scientific exploration, research and problem-solving.
Jenny is a firebrand if a young girl, a dreamer, dedicated to learn to fly. Never frustrated by setbacks and failures she perseveres and try again.
Set into rhyming couplets, the story is well illustrated and progresses from inspiration to realisation.
The story is engaging and all consuming as the
Kathy
Dec 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Wonderful rhyming and beautiful illustrations. Friendship, perseverance and teamwork lead to success.
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
I think this book doesn't know what it wants to be. I think this book wants to teach children to be persistence. I think this book wants teach children to be about science. I think this book wants to teach children about inventing.

But it fails, for me, on all of these. If it is trying to teach children about science, then I wouldn't have had a talking hawk, and a pet leopard.

If it was trying to teach about inventing, it would not have had a flying box, and actually made something that could
Becki
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-2020
The cover of this book is its first attraction – the optimistic smiles and the aviator goggles immediately stole my heart.

What an adorable book! The rhymes and fun motion words (lift, drift, tilt) are not only fun to say, but also lead to lessons about the engineering behind Jenny and Jude’s attempts at flight. The illustrations are also bright, detailed, and informative. They contain even more descriptions of what Jenny and Jude will use in their creations and arrows showing how they want the
Vinamrata
Dec 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Apart from the beautiful illustrations, the book, more specifically the text or the storyline seemed poor. I don’t expect too much technical details from a rhyming picture book, but this one seemed disjointed. I had to read it again to try to make sense of how the hawk started talking towards the end of the book and how the boy next door had a cheetah for a pet. The words didn’t seem to flow. The illustrations are good though.
Athina (booknotes_athina)
I received an ARC of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

This is a beautiful picture book,
It's the story of a little girl who dreamed to fly.
Through reading this book you understand that with persistence, teamwork and determination you can achieve what you are dreaming even if it looks difficult in the beginning.
Alex  Baugh
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Jenny has always wanted to fly but all her attempts have so far ended in failure. Then a red-tailed hawk befriends Jenny and as he flies around, she begins to figure out how it is done. But could she invent something that would actually take-off and fly just based on what she observes?

Meanwhile, Jenny's neighbor Jude is studying his best friend Kitty, to learn all about speed and control in order to improve his skateboarding. Jude is also interested by the tiny plane Jenny has built and
Carina
Jan 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

The artwork is so pretty! This is a children's book that teaches them to never give up. We follow Jenny and her "brother". She invents something that isn't working properly so she has to keep working on and don't give up. It has rhymes, just like many of other children's books.
I loved it! A child would love it too, expecially is they want to be an aviator.
Medeia Sharif
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderfully illustrated picture book about persistence. With hard work, effort, a good spirit, and assistance, anything is possible. I felt the rhyme was off. I also thought the font and text sizing were plain and misplaced. Other than that, this book was enjoyable. I read this via NetGalley, courtesy of the publisher.
Leslie Lindsay
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A clever and uplifting story of a girl named Jenny who dreams of flying...plus, the illustrations!

I fell into the rhythm of books and imagination at an early age. Like little Jenny in FLY, FLY AGAIN (January 7th Greenleaf Book Press), I was given the message, that if I work hard, I just might get to where I want to go. That's exactly what this book is about--but with a slightly different twist.

From mother-daughter duo, Katie Jaffe and Jennifer Lawson comes a darling and delightful read about
A.K. Klemm
Jan 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
First and foremost, kiddo and I were blown away that Buzz Aldrin–THE BUZZ ALDRIN–wrote the foreword for this picture book. How cool is that? (My father, an engineer alum of the same university as Aldrin, was pretty impressed as well. Frequently, he reads my kiddo picture books and comments about how children’s publishing has “come a long way.”)

Reminiscent of The Questioneers series (of which we have every title!) by Andrea Beaty and David Roberts, Jaffe and Lawson’s new book encourages critical
Amit Verma
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
.It is a wonderful kids book.

It is illustrated kids book about a girl who wants to make a rocket. She wants to fly.

So with her friends, she plans to make s plane.

She tries again and again till she succeds. Her friends help her.

Story is nice and simple perfectly suited for reading by kids. Captions hav we simple vocabulary. It is easy on eyes.

Artwork is excellent.

Use of colors is very good and clarity of pictures is amazing.

All the fine details in background are visible.

I read it to my son and he
Cheryl
Jan 05, 2020 rated it liked it
This is a cute and fun read for young readers. While, the main lead Jenny, is a female. This book can be enjoyed by boys as well. Although, the reason that it features a girl is for the STEM aspect. Which consists of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. This is important because these professional career fields are mainly still male dominated. These types of STEM books are geared towards encouraging females to pursue these career fields.

I have always been interested in these four
Sharon
Dec 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, netgalley
Greenleaf Book Group LLC and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Fly, Fly Again. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Jenny is a young girl who dreams of flying and, instead of waiting until she is older, decides to design a flying machine. As her neighbor and her pet hawk look on, will Jenny be able to take the principles that she has learned about flying to make her dreams come true?

There is a lot to like about this children's book, as it is
Jill Steeley
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Determination and teamwork help young Jennifer realize her life-long dream of flying. This picture book introduces elementary-aged kids to some basic aeronautical engineering terms. Astronaut Buzz Aldrin wrote the forward. Jennifer Tammie Lyon’s delightfully creative illustrations add the perfect touch to Fly, Fly Again. A portion of the proceeds from this book will be donated to UNICEF and Buzz Aldrin Ventures. Aside from just a few rhythmic bobbles in this rhyming story, Mother-daughter team, ...more
Janice Garey
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Review Title : Try to Fly (review of Fly, Fly Again by Katie Jaffe and Jennifer Lawson)
Reviewer: Janice S. Garey
***** 5 Stars

This charming book, written in clever rhyme, will please most children and those who read to them. The title of the book, Fly, Fly Again is a word play on the proverbial quote, "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again." That thought is nicely woven into this young preschool (age 3-5) appropriate story. It will generate questions about new vocabulary which the adult
Donna Maguire
Review to be added to Amazon UK and US on 7th January 2020 - publication day!

After reading the blurb and the introduction I expected a little more from this book.

The story was good in that it showed children to keep trying and you will succeed if you are determined, but the layout for me wasn't great and the words overlapped some of the images and it made neither them, nor the image behind it clear.

I also would have preferred it if the book rhymed throughout not just here and there too as it
Sharon
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jenny, a female, is the inventor in this story. She wants to learn to fly and sets out to figure out how to do it. Her first attempt ends when her inability steer her plane causes it to crash. Back to the drawing board. This time she takes the help from a friendly hawk. Her neighbor, Jude, also assists, and together they figure out how to create a model that they can steer. There is now a push in schools to encourage girls to become interested in STEM which consists of science, technology, ...more
Absolutely gorgeous illustrations accompany rhyming text to tell the story of a young girl who dreams of flying. Despite multiple setbacks, she never gives up and we get a fun story about friendship, perseverance, and friendship. I will definitely be using this one in my preschool story times.

Disclaimer: I received a free electronic copy of this book from the publisher through Netgalley.com in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Heather
Jan 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book told in rhyme. I really enjoyed it because it was about a girl who persists and doesn’t give up! I love books that foster a growth mindset in kids. Her friend joins her and together they create something spectacular!
Marla
Jan 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, children-s, netgalley
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a free e-arc for review.

This was an adorable, simple story. The characters are few, but they work together to reach their goals.
Todd
Jan 19, 2020
Matthew Whewell
Jan 19, 2020

• Help Wanted, Must Love Books
  • Stephen Hawking (Pequeño & GRANDE, #2)
  • My Brother and Me
  • Doctor Mouse
  • Baby: A Soppy Story
  • Mama Needs a Minute
  • Scaredy Monster (Scaredy Monster Book 1)
  • Frog's Rainy-day Story and Other Fables
  • Warriors, Witches, Women: Mythology's Fiercest Females
  • Why Do We Cry?
  • Inside Out
  • Wangari Maathai Plants a Forest
  • David Attenborough
  • Ocean Anatomy: The Curious Parts  and Pieces of the World under the Sea
  • Muhammad Ali (Pequeño & GRANDE, #1)
  • Brushalot: The Tale of the Tooth Fairy
  • Gudetama: Love for the Lazy
  • Martin Luther King, Jr.