Start by marking “Iceman” as Want to Read:
Iceman

Iceman

3.16  ·  Rating details ·  107 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
The other guys on Eric's hockey team call him the Iceman, because he's a heartless player, cold as ice. Only Eric knows the truth -- he's not cold, he's on fire, burning with a need he just can't explain. Least of all to his fanily -- not to his dad, whose only joy in life id watching Eric smash other hockey players to a pulp. Or his mom, who starts every conversation with ...more
Published August 25th 1995 by HarperCollins (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Iceman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iceman

EricW_E2
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is about how this Eric plays hockey and is called Iceman. He is called Iceman because people say he has no heart and is cold like a stone. Currently I'm where the big brother goes against his Dad's will and the house is a little chaotic. I noticed that one word can make someone smile because Dad was trying to find something and he looked a bit sick. So Eric asked if he is ok and his dad kind of gets emotional. His dad wanted Duane (big brother) to keep playing football but sells his ge ...more
Shoshana
Jun 07, 2008 rated it liked it
The unspeakable part is on page 152.
jeffrey.Lim is so super duper cool add me up boi
i did not appreciate this book at all
Brenda Kahn
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Wow. Intense portrait of a driven boy getting eaten alive by his anger. Great hockey descriptions. Terrific writing. One teensy little scene pushes it out of my students' (middle school) league and more for high school. Totally on board for its rerelease and its companion, Pieces, due out in early February.
Jack
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Diane
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult-ita
Eric is known as the Iceman on the hockey team because he is vicious and remorseless to the opponent and, sometimes, to his own team. Crowds boo him everywhere he goes, but his dad is very proud of him. You see, Dad plays hockey vicariously through Eric, especially since Eric's brother Duane has given up on athletics altogether to take up the guitar. Eric has no friends and finds it difficult interacting with people and expressing emotion. Is it any wonder when he comes from a family with mottoe ...more
Joshua Thompson
Feb 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book because it shows how this kid makes his life very happy and plays hockey and that what he really likes and what makes him very happy!
Mat
Jan 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Not a good book. It was very boring. I thought it would have more about hockey, but it was more about death. Would not recommend.
Ashley Rodriguez
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
The book, Iceman, is about a young teenager named Eric who plays hockey. His teammates call him “Iceman” because he is a heartless player. He is very physical when he plays. However, he feels like that he has something missing from his life. His dad loves to watch Eric play. His mom is always nagging how Eric can improve as a better person. Eric’s brother was a hall of fame athlete who became a slacker. Throughout the story, Eric struggles to tell his family on how he really feels.
I did not l
Nick C
Dec 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book was absolutely awful. I read this book through only for a class and it was painful. If it was not mandated I would have stayed away. This book is very slow and most of the time is not eventful. He makes things drag out for almost chapters, this making the book go very slow. I would like to warn anybody looking to read a hockey book that this book is absolutely atrocious. It should have been left in the 80's. It depicts events that in todays hockey would not be happening. This is probab ...more
Alex Schilling
Jan 25, 2016 rated it did not like it
I honestly disliked this book. I usually don't enjoy fictional sport books and this strengthened my opinion towards these books. The main character is Eric who is a hard hitting hockey player with the nickname "iceman" because of how he plays the game. The 14 year old is really trying to find his identity in life with a rough and tough (just like his game) family structure with mom, dad who's trying to relive is teenage years threw his son, and a brother who used to be a star athlete but now is ...more
David
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this read. It is a gritty, real, hard-hitting, attention grabbing sports novel: “The guy with the fire in his belly; if you all played with half the fire this guy has, we’d win the damn Stanley Cup”. It has a teen struggling to find his identity in life; and a father living his childhood again in his son; a brother that rebels against his parents and a mother that wants to save them all. This book serves up a violent hockey story which is as appealing as any sports novel I’ve ev ...more
Linden
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: High school and up
Recommended to Linden by: THe subject

Hickey is important to Eric's family, especially his father, and Eric is the iceman--both as the one on the ice and the one with ice in his veins, necessary for the violence of the sport. The author explores the dynamic of the family and the effect of all the things not being said, while Eric suffers from the cold. (152 p.)
Kristina
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
there were 5 typos and the weirdest juxtaposition of content. the main story was about hockey...and the filler plot was about wanting to be a mortician? like there was no reason behind it. at all.
i also found the characterization very bizzare and quite flat.
honestly the only reason i gave this two stars was because hockey.
Juno Kim
Eric is the main character in this book. He is playing hockey, but his teammates call him “Iceman”.
Because he is heartless people as a snow. But he isn’t heartless. He is just introvert person. His parents are also cold person. But he is still young, he is only 14 years old. He need a attention from his parents. I think this book saw now a day of society.
Kim
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chris Lynch has some great books out there. The protagonist in this one is struggling to find out who he is in a family that is trying to define him instead of letting him figure it out. The book contains some profanity.
Brogan Gowin
Eric's brother Duane was a star athlete now he does nothing except slack. Eric plays hot or cold. Like one game he will play good or he will play bad. Eric's dad love watching him play hockey and check other players.
Marilyn
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think Lynch has written a story that is more about finding oneself amidst bizarre happenings within family and social ties. It is amazing how many of us as young adults have survived and made something of ourselves.
Robby Schuh
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was really good. I really enjoyed how much acction there was and how much sports there was. This book was really well written and showed me that even the young men who do have problems, can still get through and have a great life.
Abigail
Mar 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really disappointed by this book. I thought that it would be more interesting, but it wasn't I felt like a lot of things were left unexplained. I found that it was slow and didn't have much to keep me interested.
Evan
Jan 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, kids-niños
"It wasn't just about hockey, it was about a boy's life. Sometimes he and his family are weird but it is very interesting" according to my 5th grade cumulative reading log. I started it on 10/21 (1997 I believe) and gave it a 5/6.
Kelly
A sad teen who is unloved meets an older mentor who helps him find his identity. Yes, it's a tale told many times, but this one is very accessible for YA readers, and the sports connection will appeal to male readers who like sports.
Trevor Arganese
Sep 25, 2013 rated it did not like it
i ended it early because i didn't like this book!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PWRL
Zach
rated it did not like it
Sep 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Chris Lynch is the Printz Honor Award-winning author of several highly acclaimed young adult novels, including KILL SWITCH, ANGRY YOUNG MAN, and INEXCUSABLE, which was a National Book Award finalist and the recipient of six starred reviews. He is also the author of FREEWILL, GOLD DUST, ICEMAN, GYPSY DAVY, and SHADOWBOXER, all ALA Best Books for Young Adults; EXTREME ELVIN WHITECHURCH, and ALL THE ...more
More about Chris Lynch