Start by marking “Lapse (Clementine Jones #1)” as Want to Read:
Lapse (Clementine Jones #1)

Lapse

(Clementine Jones #1)

All it took was a lapse…a momentary lapse…to bring Clementine Jones’ world crashing down. Now she’s living like a hermit in small-town Katinga, coaching the local footy club. She’s supposed to be lying low, but here she is, with her team on the cusp of their first premiership in fifty years—and the whole bloody town counting on her, cheering her on.

So why the hell would her

Published August 6th 2019 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Lapse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lapse

Start your review of Lapse (Clementine Jones #1)
Carolyn
This is an excellent debut novel from ex-corporate lawyer Sarah Thornton. Set in a small rural Australian town where jobs are scarce and speculation about the weekly local football game is the focus of speculation at the local pub. This year the team is looking good with a new coach, Clementine Jones, and a chance at the finals for the first time in over fifty years. Clementine Jones, ex corporate lawyer, was running away from her past when she happened upon a small cottage outside the town that ...more
Brenda
Clementine Jones was keeping a low profile after her flight from Sydney. The small town of Katinga in Victoria was her refuge – until it no longer was – and when she began coaching the local football club, she’d had no idea how deeply involved with the players she would become. The team hadn’t won a grand final in fifty-three years; she was determined to give them the courage and respect in themselves that it took to improve.

But when their top player, young Clancy, pulled out of the
Cass Moriarty
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s always exciting to discover another new Australian crime writer, especially when that writer subverts the usual tropes and gives us a plot that goes beyond the police procedural, along with characters that are unexpected and different. In Lapse (Text Publishing 2019), corporate lawyer turned debut author Sarah Thornton presents a fast-paced and tense narrative set in rural Australia and featuring Clementine Jones – an endearing accidental crime solver. Thornton obviously has plans for this ...more
Text Publishing
‘Clementine Jones is a heroine for our times: fierce, feisty and fallible.’
Candice Fox

‘Lapse is a quintessentially Australian story of small town conspiracies, dark secrets and footy finals. Part-time coach and accidental sleuth Clementine Jones is a welcome and refreshing addition to the ranks of Australian crime fiction detectives.’
Emma Viskic

‘[A] tense thriller that holds the reader captive until the very end…fans of Jane Harper and Garry Disher will enjoy this book.'
ReadPlus Reviews

‘[An] enjoyable addition to the steadily growing/>‘[An]/>‘[A]/>Emma/>‘Lapse/>Candice
Susy Goldner
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a rip-snorter of a novel. It’s a blinder. And for those who don’t speak Australian, that means it’s remarkably good. It cracks open at a fast pace, introducing a palette of well-painted, colourful characters, and our mysterious and gutsy heroine, Clementine Jones, who grew on me more and more as the novel went on. In fact I found her an inspiration. What surprised me about this book was not the laugh out loud tableaux like the scene in the tattoo parlour, nor the authentic dialogue and depl ...more
Mark Barnier
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any crime readers who want a fresh stroy and insight into AUSTRALIAN culture
a great read, authentic and fresh Australian crime thriller, Clementine Jones a great heroine and character. Compelling read enjoyed every bit. Great plot kept me guessing all the way. I highly recommend.
Alana Bailey
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Great story that took me right in and kept me reading to the last word. Loved the characters and can’t wait to see what Clementine Jones does next!
Kira
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read and a book that was hard to put down, so I didn’t. A story that kept you interested and wanting to read more. So well described I could imagine being there. Looking forward to Sarah Thornton’s next book.
Pat
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A gripping thriller, great characters and action. Can't wait for the next in the series.
Victor
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a thrilling, great read, the story grips you in a way that you build a bond with the characters and go on a journey with Clementine, such are the bonds that you form with the characters ( and the Blue Healer Pocket) that you feel their pain, worries and success. The writing style is realistic and visual. I laughed, shouted out in disgust, cheered and wiped a few tears from my eyes.
Sue
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this in one sitting. Thoroughly engaging thriller with a blockbuster heroine, Clementine Jones, who sparkles and crackles on every page. Also fell in love with the sidekick, Torrens. Refreshingly different new addition to the crime genre. Can’t wait for book two in the series.
Jennifer (JC-S)
‘What business you got here in Katinga?’

Clementine (Clem) Jones flees her life as a corporate lawyer in Sydney, looking to maintain a low profile in Katinga, a small rural Australian town. Clem has a job, as the coach of the local Australian Rules football team, and the team is doing well. They are about to make the finals for the first time in years and could go all the way to win their first premiership in half a century.

But then their star player, Clancy (a young Indig
Helen
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous read - highly recommend
Colin
Aug 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My best read for 2019 by a long way! I felt completely connected to the Aussie country and the characters. Thornton is brilliant at delivering doialogue between characters in a way that you feel present in the moment- a fly on the wall. Such a unique, credible, and satisfying story line, and with a pace so fast it left my eyes blistered! An affliction I can't wait to re-live with hopefully a second Clem' Jones adventure!
Janet
Aug 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never read a book about AFL footy before. Loved the racy description of the game at the end of the book. How did you do it, Sarah? Enjoyed the twists and the suspense. A great read with everything in it. Looking forward to the next one.
Jacquelyn Shannon
Really enjoyed this first novel by Sarah Thornton. The characters were believable and I really could connect with them. A good yarn and a great read.
Karen
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great storyline with mysteries to the conclusion
marlin1
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this fast paced story. Great sense of time and place and I’m excited to see that it’s the first in a series. In fact it’s something that I could imagine as a TV series.
Vonne Learmonth
Really enjoyed this book. A good yarn. Set in small town Victoria, acknowledges the associated problems without being preachy. Fun and uplifting and ...... a good female protagonist. I’m already looking forward to the next in the series.
Liz Filleul
Aug 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A crime novel featuring a heroine who's coaching a local footy team to its first premiership in 50 years? Yes, I thought, as soon as I read the blurb. Count me in!

And I really loved the footy scenes in Lapse. I loved Clementine's coaching style and her rapport with the players. And the final third of the book was heart-in-mouth stuff, one of the most gripping denouements I've read.

But I really didn't like Clementine. Yes, I liked her when she was coaching, but away from t
KarenM
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and an entertaining read! The storyline is captivating and will keep you guessing right to the very end. Interesting characters all interwoven and that constant hint of something sinister coming around the corner that will surely impact the entire town community. Loved it - I would actually enjoy watching this crime story come to life.
Kylie H
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clementine Jones is on the run from her past. Hiding out in a small rural Victorian town, this is a far cry from the high profile corporate life she has fled. She is coaching the local football team which has not played in the finals for more than 50 years. Under Clem's guidance the team is now achieving success and she is finding herself in an unwanted spotlight.
With finals fast approaching, Clancy, the team's star player suddenly quits leaving Clementine bewildered. As she starts to inve
Jane
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Lapse was a solid story but just not one that grabbed me and sucked me in. The pace picked up in the last third or so of the book and I enjoyed it more then. It is what I would call a 'normal' book with nothing out of the ordinary that would have me pushing it onto people to read. Not bad, just not exciting. Thank you to Text Publishing for this copy.
Sharah McConville
Lapse is an exciting debut novel set in rural Australia. Clem Jones is a fantastic character and I can't wait to read more about her. Thanks to Text Publishing for my paperback copy of Sarah Thornton's novel.
Lynda Walton
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New author

Loved the character of Clementine. Loved it was set in Victoria.Loved the story.Looking forward to more stories featuring Clementine Jones.
Mark Silva
Two and a half stars. Kick along country detective novel.
Terri
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t love this one. Too unrealistic.
Dan Eriksen
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent characters with a plot that keeps building to boiling point! I love the dialogue in the opshop 😂 The second half was impossible to put down... this book will keep you up past your bed time!
Debra
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the 2nd author which I found exciting. Sarah's book 'Lapse' held me for the entire book. Can't wait for the next book to come out.
Carolyn
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. A bit disjointed but good story.
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect author 2 14 Jun 27, 2019 06:41PM

• Six Minutes
  • The Wife and the Widow
  • Where the Dead Go
  • The Weekend
  • Too Much Lip
  • Bruny
  • Dead Man Switch (A Billie Walker Mystery #1)
  • Good Girl, Bad Girl (Cyrus Haven, #1)
  • Silver
  • Snake Island
  • Taking Tom Murray Home
  • Room for a Stranger
  • Invisible Boys
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Ice Cold Heart (Monkeewrench, #10)
  • The Shelly Bay Ladies Swimming Circle
  • Fake: A startling true story of love in a world of liars, cheats, narcissists, fantasists and phonies
  • Plots and Prayers: Malcolm Turnbull’s demise and Scott Morrison’s ascension
Sarah cast off the lines to her law career not long after being awarded Australian Corporate Lawyer of the Year in 2016. She now lives with her husband aboard a 43-foot sailing catamaran, exploring this most magnificent blue planet and chasing an endless summer. She took up writing novels as a way to liberate her imagination after twenty years in the structured confines of legal and corporate life ...more