Start by marking “Broken Wings” as Want to Read:
Broken Wings

Broken Wings

Published September 1st 2006 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Broken Wings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Broken Wings

Start your review of Broken Wings
Andi Marquette
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, spec-fic-stuff
L-J Baker is one of the best writers you may never have heard of. This is her first, released in 2006, and it's a book that I still think about and re-read parts of (and yes, I just ended a sentence with a preposition. Oh, well).

Rye Woods is a fairy who escaped Fairyland in order to give her younger sister, Holly, a better life. Rye took another identity, and she keeps her wings taped securely down beneath her shirt, because fairy-phobia is alive and well in the city where they resid
K. Aten
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5.0 stars. It gets me every time.

L-J Baker writes the world and characters in such a natural way that it reads nearly like a contemporary romance. The struggles are familiar and real, only the races and little details are different. They live in trees, they drive brooms and magic carpets, and the different species have their own forms of sexual expression. But the novel flows. I loved reading about Rye’s cooking and all the different foods she made. I was pulled along as their romanc
lov2laf
3.6 stars.

This was a really odd ball story for me. Overall, I had mixed feelings about it.

I've read a lot of lesfic fantasy books in the last year and this is the first full-length novel involving fairies, wood creatures, goblins and the like so it definitely has a unique setting with different characters. Even the language, swear words and slang used complement the ambience of the story since it revolves around nature terms. The author tackled a lot of different issues r
Ronel
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
It was an easy read but despite generally liking fantasy and sci-fi, I just could not get into this one.

It felt as if the story suffered from multiple personality disorder. The one moment it felt like reading a fairy tale for children or young adults ---oh, they are having sex. Then, oh cute, the fairies are eating buttercups and drinking honey---oh, they are naked on the floor. Oh wow, they are flying around on brooms and living in trees---uhm, they are stripping each others clothes off.
Lunatic
I like the premise of a supernatural world, which is why the moment I read the book's description, I immediately jumped into it.

The character I like the most is Flora (for obvious reason). Rye is too afraid, too paranoid, and she is kinda too much of a coward for my liking, at least she tried to be a good parent/guardian for Holly, but I hope she put more effort into her relationship with Flora.

From the beginning of the book until near the very end, I just don't like Holly. I know she's a kid,
Female Person
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt
This was a total snooze fest. The characters absolutely annoying and frustrating, especially Rye and her sister Holly. Flora, poor poor Flora, all I felt for this woman throughout the whole book was sorry. Jeez she kept offering her unconditional love while she was constantly hurt, rejected and disregarded. Throughout their relationship, Rye was completely selfish and narrow minded. The romance was very unengaging. I was not captured by it, I couldn't feel or get a sense of their love.
J. Judkins
Jul 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lesbianfantasy
A good book, although I occasionally wanted to slap some sense into the main character. Very well thought out.
Mac
Jan 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s a fantasy but it really depicts real life... people who struggle in life but continue to wake up each morning because they know their purpose. That sometimes, we focus too much in our goal, our jobs, our family, that we sacrifice our own happiness.

I love how strong and selfless Rye is... how she puts the need of her sister first before herself. And I also love to hate how stubborn she can be when receiving help. And how she grew as a person in the end is really amazing; it is really hard t
Terri
This is the first book I've read that had fairies and gnomes and flying carpets. I was a bit hesitant at first but it turns out...I really liked it. Most of the time I forgot they were even creatures instead of human. I enjoyed the characters. Well, except the little sister. She needed a timeout. And her ass beat. And her damn stereo taken away. Little brat. The chemistry was just okay for me. But the story itself was just amazing.

There were really only 2 things I didn't like about t
Christopher
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing.

Books don't generally affect me like this. I was feeling each moment of joy, each anxiety-laden conversation, each bit of teenage angst. The light fantasy world allowed some very heavy subjects (PTSD, conversion therapy/torture, immigration, drug use) a soft landing that cushioned the beauty of the romance. This was simply spectacular. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Caitlin Taylor
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, lgbtq, 2019
This is a superb story on so many levels. I adore the characters (though I wanted to smack Holly a few times, are teenagers really like that?! I suspect they are...)
Aside from being fantasy and a romance the books deals with a lot of other societal issues, in an excellent way.
Absolutely recommend this book, it was a joy to read
A Small One
Nov 02, 2019 rated it really liked it

In a magical world where being different is the norm, why must Rye Woods fear for her life if the truth about her hidden identity is revealed? When Rye Woods, a fairy, meets the beautiful dryad Flora Withe, her libido, as squashed and hidden as her wings, reawakens along with her heart. But Rye is a poor builder's labourer with a teenage sister to raise, while Flora is a wealthy artist-celebrity with a tree-top condominium and a sporty, late-model flying carpet. If those aren't obstacles enough

Cee Jelly
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: melodrama lovers
Shelves: femalexfemale, so-so
This is the second L-J Baker's book I've read, the first being Lady Knight. The two books seems to follow a similar construction, and causes me the same reaction as well. Fun observation, L-J probably takes a real liking to hands-kissing. Props for that, author.

So, another half-good-half-bad story. This book has fine characters' dialogues and interactions, as well as charming/ interesting personalities, which guarantees a nice first half. Then the drama kicks in, and the protagonist gets...
Ashley
Sep 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a big fan of L-J Baker. I absolutely enjoyed Promises, Promises. That being said, Broken Wings was not a bad book. There were many good things about it: 1) the characters are relatively easy to connect to, 2) there is humor, 3) there is sadness. The book will definitely make you feel things. However, you can tell that it is one of Baker’s older works written at a time when she was still kind of finding who she is as an author. So, sometimes there are parts in this book that drag on or seem ...more
Tiff
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kids
Broken Wings by L.-J. Baker is a fantastical tale involving fairies and dryads. As much as it is a fantasy and romance this book deals with some pretty hefty issues as well. Everything from life as an illegal immigrant, class differences, and especially abuse. All of these subjects are discussed in an interesting way that brings depth to our characters, and gives the story dimension.

The main character of the story is a fairy named Rye Woods. Rye works two sometimes three jobs as a laborer to pa
Eva
Jul 30, 2012 rated it liked it
The main character, Rye, is an illegal alien from Fairyland. She has been taking care of her younger sister, Holly, for 12 years since they fled their country after Rye's wings were broken as part of a gay cure when she was 19. Almost none of the book supports the idea that they could have successfully managed to avoid notice all these years.

Rye's wings are useless. They have been broken and incorrectly set for 12 years. She has to keep them binded anytime she is public. They cause her a great
Agirlcandream
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars.
Fantasy is not my go to genre. Sure I grew up devouring Tolkien's LOTR and Anne McCaffrey's Dragon Riders of Pern. But then I became that boring adult who only had time for "literature."
Thank you L.J. Baker for bringing me back to a genre I forgot how much I truly enjoy. I loved the imagery and the world of dryads, fairies and sylphs. I got a kick out of the nature related expletives and the various ways to make algae and borage sound tasty. I may just start spouting Oh Bra
Sally
The latter third or so was what made me give this four stars instead of three. I liked the first part a lot, but for me there was far too much sex, and it started to feel gratuitous... actually, it felt that way from the first time they did it, in the flying carpet.

ALSO. Since when do *carpets* have windows and tops and doors and boots? Gah. :P

But I liked Rye a lot, she was a great character. Flora, I didn't see the huge appeal in so I wasn't as invested in their relation
Frank Van Meer
This is a fun read and at the same time a commentary on social issues. The best thing is that is wrapped up in a love story set in some futuristic fantasy land, filled with all creatures fairy and fey. Fairies with cellphones? Sign me up.

I think about every issue is covered here, from illigal immigrants to homophobia. I love it that Rey is so social awkward. I stopped counting the sentences that started with "Um." Yet at the same time she works her butt of to provide a life and educa
Elaine Burnes
May 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lesbian
I really enjoyed Broken Wings. Don't be turned off by the fact that it's fantasy with fairies (I almost was). It is a fun romp, but it also has a very serious side. The characters are extremely vivid and likable. In this fantasy world, magic brooms break down and teenagers are still teenagers. Rye Woods is just a struggling builder's laborer, trying to raise her teenage sister, Holly, who's an absolute stitch. Rye meets and falls for a successful artist named Flora, who Holly happens to idolize. ...more
Krazykiwi
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I rarely read romance, I don't much like erotica (although, the heat level on this is pretty low). I'm not queer, and I don't like fairies much. The fae kind. So I quite literally have no idea how I ended up with a lesbian romance set in a world populated with sprites, nymphs, goblins and the occasional fairy. Not. A. Clue. Once I figured out what I had, I almost just deleted it, But oh the blurb was actually intriguing, and the author is a kiwi and I just thought why not.

Turned out,
Rose
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really loved Baker's writing style, and the setting of the book was phenomenal. I couldn't put it down until I hit certain points. This my be weird but I don't usually enjoy when stories have truly depressing life situations, especially ones that hit home for me. I read books to escape that kind of stuff. So there was a point in this book I just had to put it down and walk away for a while before picking it back up later the same day and finishing it. It's an amazing book and well worth the re ...more
Natasja Hellenthal
May 20, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: f-f-fantasy
Although I really tried to like this book and did find some things original such as having to hide her wings(but not the strange eating habits which was just weird). I just couldn't warm to the characters. There was too much swearing, which for me spoilt it and the story was a bit unbelievable and the plot hard going. I had to stop half way through, because I found myself only wanting to find out what happened to Rye and her sister (will they be deported back to Fairyland?) but did not enjoy the ...more
Spectre
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
L-J Baker’s Broken Wings is a creative romp through a world inhabited with fairies, dryads, and numerous other mythical creatures. Have no worries about this story falling in fantasy clichés, however. These characters are rich, creative renderings while the plot is full of wry humor and thought-provoking issues. I highly recommend for any reader wanting to immerse him/herself in a truly unique world.
Queen
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although this was a fantasy, it is really relatable to real life. A lot of themes and ideas in this book made me think and reflect on our current world. Most of them resonated with me. It was also frustrating at times because a lot of Rye's actions were repetitive. Nonetheless, it is definitely a book I'd recommend.
Tracey
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is incredible. I rarely write a review and if there better than a five star rating I would give it. The wonderful emotional journey that Rye Woods travels will have you laughing and sobbing. The world is so realistic despite the mythological creatures inhabiting it. You can imagine the events unfolding in our own society all too easily. Highly recommend to anyone and everyone.
Ry Herman
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up Broken Wings on a whim, and was surprised and pleased to find it was a very well-written fantasy novel about a lesbian fairy, her society, and a romance that enters her life. Excellent characters, an interesting world, and strong themes about the effects of religious prejudice and the aftereffects of traumatic experiences.
Breyonna Morgan
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
"Me In You" successfully describes the feelings that i have when I am with the one that I love. I haven't come across anything else that even comes close to describing that feeling.
Rachel Miller
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Broken Wings was such a fantastic book. I highly recommend it. I didn't want the story to end.

• Breaking Legacies
  • A Journey of the Heart (When Women Were Warriors, #2)
  • Breaking Character
  • Nightshade (Arravan, #1)
  • The Pyramid Waltz
  • Under a Falling Star
  • The Warrior's Path (When Women Were Warriors, #1)
  • Battle Scars
  • Sword of the Guardian (Legends of Ithyria, #1)
  • Thirteen Hours
  • Playing the Spy
  • Backwards to Oregon (The Oregon Series, #1)
  • The Princess Affair
  • Casting Lacey
  • The Blind Side of Love
  • A Hero's Tale (When Women Were Warriors,  #3)
  • Listen
  • Fear of Falling
L-J Baker lives in New Zealand with her civilly united spouse, more cats than is sensible, and various other critters. She spent a long time at school pursuing studies that had nothing to do with writing. She is the site admin for the online Lesbian Fiction Forum. And, yes, L-J really is her whole name.