Jump to ratings and reviews

The Faerie Queen #1

Knight Rising

Do not wander in cursed lands alone...

Una wants only one thing, to find and kill the dragon that drove her out of her childhood home in the heart of Arthurian Britain.

When a handsome knight frees her from captivity, she learns that she is not the only one who wants the beast dead. The knight is Sir George, a messenger of the Faerie Queen and the man assigned to kill the dragon that still haunts her home.

But the road to get there contains new dangers, long shut out from this world…until now.

Together with her newfound ally, she must survive the dreaded Forest of Arden, return to her homeland, and discover what happened to her family. To get there, she will search within herself and discover an ancient, forbidden magic that is either the key to their survival, or the means to their end.

Knight Rising is a captivating blend of YA fantasy and Arthurian legend. If you like dragons, blossoming romances, and magical showdowns, then you’ll love Jason Hamilton’s fresh take on Edmund Spencer’s classic tale.

368 pages, Kindle Edition

20 books49 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews
211 reviews7 followers
October 13, 2019
The story drew me in from page 1. How could I resist Arthurian literature? The story follows Una, a young girl whose home has been seized and destroyed by a dragon, and George, a knight sent on a self-redeeming mission. Along the way they encounter much evil and learn a great deal about themselves and each other. The author has spun a masterful tale and laid the groundwork for a wonderful series.
Profile Image for Ami.
1,599 reviews5 followers
November 10, 2019
Knight Rising is an excellent adventure with magic, a dragon, horrific otherworldly creatures, battles between good and evil and, of course, knights. The world is well-described and the characters came to life as I read as quickly as possible. This is the first book in the series and I am definitely anxious to read the next. I highly recommend it and hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Read via Kindle Unlimited
November 21, 2019
A very engrossing tale that takes many twists and turns. The Red Cross Knight and Una are very unlikely traveling companions. Their course is manipulated by others and never seems to go as it should. I really enjoyed this tale and look forward to more of their adventures.
334 reviews1 follower
December 13, 2019
A view into the magical Fae world during young Arthur's time. You meet some wonderful characters and follow them through their adventure. Interesting story looking forward to the next book.
251 reviews
June 8, 2022
I listened to an audio version narrated by Fiona Hardingham (who's voice and narration style I adore). The story seemed typical and used. I did enjoy the sarcasm and occasional humor. The characters were somewhat interesting, though at times a little under-developed. The story is clean, at least. There's a little talk about Christians in one chapter, though the majority of the book deals with dragons and magic and other worlds and Arthurian legend.
Profile Image for Essiery.
175 reviews2 followers
February 1, 2023
If you like fantasy and a great story, this is gor you. I enjoyed it a lot and look forward to the next book.
547 reviews9 followers
February 22, 2020
I thoroughly enjoyed Knight Rising! It’s a YA Arthurian Fantasy that has all the elements of a great story! There’s magic and faeries, dragons and hideous beasts, and the forces of good must rise up against a decidedly evil foe. This book follows Una and George who are on a quest to slay the dragon that has taken over Castle Silene. They face many dangers along the way and learn a lot about themselves as well. There’s plenty of action and adventure and I really just loved the story! One of my favourites parts was when Una tamed a lion, but that’s all I’ll say on the matter - you’ll have to read it for yourself! I highly recommend this book and I can’t wait to read the next one!
Profile Image for Anna Maria.
57 reviews4 followers
February 26, 2020
From the first few chapters, I thought this book was going to be a typical YA fantasy and oh boy, was I wrong. This book kept getting better and better.

Una was a great and badass character that was very fun to follow. All the characters were nicely developt and I liked that all of them had their flaws. Even though the book had a lot to do with the good fighting the evil both sides weren't completely black and white. I liked that Una wasn't the ultimate good character trying to save the world.

The setting was detailed and interesting, I especially liked the creepy and atmospheric forest. Overall the story kept me interested till the end and I'd like for sure to know what happens next.

I received a free copy of this book via StoryOrigin. This is my honest review.
2 reviews
September 24, 2019
I loved it! Absolutely brilliant! The story drew me in from the very start. Set in Arthurian England, the story follows a young girl - Una and a flawed but noble knight on a journey back to the girl's childhood home - a castle currently inhabited by a dragon. Una is searching for her missing parents and the knight wants to make a name for himself by slaying the dragon. Along the way, they get drawn into a fight against an evil far more sinister than any dragon. I want to say so much more but I don't want to spoil it! The characters were multi-faceted and had a depth to them, which made me feel emotionally invested in the story. The story was well-paced and kept my attention. An easy read. I would definitely recommend this book. Can't wait for the next one!
Profile Image for Donna.
703 reviews
October 2, 2019
Knight Rising is Book 1 of the Faerie Queen series. Jason Hamilton gives us a superbly written story with an amazing storyline and characters that are extremely well developed with realistic personalities, especially our two main characters -- Una and Sir George. Una is joined on her quest for revenge on the dragon who killed her family by Sir George, a knight, who is on his own mission to kill the same dragon. This is a fantastic tale which I highly recommend. Loved this story and am anxious for the next book. Received an ARC and this is my voluntary and honest review.
Profile Image for Debra.
52 reviews
October 12, 2019
This was a fun read! It’s young adult genre, which I typically don’t read, but I couldn't pass up the mention of an Arthurian legend.

I enjoyed the fresh take on familiar characters. Vivian to the rescue, with a sword! The story is light on traditional Arthurian legend but it’s set within the time frame. It’s a nicely paced, enjoyable adventure and the best part...it’s only book one of a series!

If you read young adult, fantasy or Arthurian legends, there is something in this story for you.

835 reviews1 follower
October 27, 2019
Knight Rising
The Faerie Queen book 1

Jason Hamilton

Una, a princess whose castle home was taken by a dragon, Arthur Penndragon of Sword in the stone fame, Gloriana, the Faerie Queen, Duessa, a sorceress and mistress of the Other, George, a knight, and various dreadful monsters make up the characters in the start of this series of books.
This was an exciting well written book. Future books should be just as good. I look forward to reading them.
Profile Image for Debbie Eyre.
3,647 reviews58 followers
October 14, 2019
OMG this is one hell of a YA fantasy read that will grab you from the get go and you will not be able to put it down! A well written adventure filled with adventure, knights, dragons and damsels in distress, fantastic storyline and great characters and it’s only book 1!
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.