Start by marking “The Silent Treatment” as Want to Read:
The Silent Treatment

The Silent Treatment

___________________________
A lifetime together. Six months of silence. One last chance.

Frank hasn't spoken to his wife Maggie for six months.

For weeks they have lived under the same roof, slept in the same bed and eaten at the same table – all without words.

Maggie has plenty of ideas as to why her husband has gone quiet.

But it will take another heartbreaking tur/>A
Expected publication: April 2nd 2020 by Century

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Treatment, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Treatment

Start your review of The Silent Treatment
Gilly Macmillan
In her tremendously moving debut, a novel that pulses with emotional tension, Abbie Greaves masterfully unpicks a history of ordinary lives facing extraordinary challenges. I found it impossible to look away from the relationship at the heart of this novel.
Mary Lou
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Frank has not spoken to Maggie, his wife of forty years, in six months.
Maggie is now critically ill in hospital and Frank has little time to explain why he has been silent for so long.
I’m afraid this book was not for me. I revisited the blurb on Netgalley to clarify my inappropriate selection but the summary is actually vague enough to mislead me. Let me just stress, the problem lies with me, many will absolutely love this book.
I may be pedantic, but I like an accurate backdrop
Natasha Ellis
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s not often a book makes me cry, this book did. A really heartbreaking, well written story about marriage and being a parent. Highly recommend.
Caroline Kelly
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Frank and Maggie have had a lifetime together but for the last six months, Frank hasn’t uttered a word to Maggie. Life has continued -eating, sleeping, sex - but no words. Maggie has tried to make him talk to her without success. So Maggie takes matters into her own hands.

My first thought on reading the blurb of this book was to wonder what exactly could make a husband stop speaking to his wife for six months? Did she do something wrong? Or did he? Was there something he was ashamed
Bidisha
Nov 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Trickles into the heart and grips you to pay attention
Rating - 3.75
#NetGalley #TheSilentTreatment #AbbieGreaves
It is hard to believe this was written by a debutante. It is moving, to say the least.
The Silent Treatment urges you to re-examine life and relationships, a la Julian Barnes’ Sense of an Ending. It is hard-hitting yet humble, creating that rare combination that is scarce in this genre. In its essence, Greaves’ debut novel is a love story. The spouses have stopped speaking with each other, they h
Snoakes
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: won-or-blagged
The Silent Treatment is a bittersweet novel about a marriage and the trials and tribulations that the couple endure. After forty years, Frank has stopped speaking to his wife Maggie. As the book starts this has been going on for six months and when Maggie is taken into hospital Frank takes his opportunity to tell her all the things he should have said before. And so the first section of the book is Frank telling their story. Maggie gets her voice later on as things are brought to a head and we f ...more
Christie Hoffmeister
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
***I won an advanced reader’s edition copy of this novel via a Goodreads giveaway under the premise that I would read it and offer my honest opinion about it.***

This novel is beautiful.

Without spoilers: This is the story of Frank, who after 40 years of marriage has stopped talking to his wife, Maggie. It’s been 6 months. She attempts suicide. The novel is Frank talking to Maggie while she is in a medically-induced coma and explaining how he got to the point that he had to withdraw f
Roselyn
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rounded review form 3.5 stars to 4 stars.

As the title suggests, this book follows the marriage of Frank and Maggie with Frank stuck in a bout of 6 months silence unable to talk to his wife.

Maggie ends up in hospital in a coma. With some coercing form a lovely nurse, Frank finds his voice again and tells Maggie's (and us) their story. From their first chance encounter, courting, marriage and their journey as husband and wife. He begins the story in order to tell her his big secret -
Debra
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Six months ago Frank stopped talking to his wife, Maggie. She isn’t sure exactly why but has a fair idea. Today is the day that Maggie doesn’t feel she can cope with this any longer and takes drastic action.

This is a very emotional story with highs and lows. I admit to having sobbed at various points, particularly the ending. Perhaps a book not to read in public?

What can I say? I certainly don’t want to give out any spoilers. I feel it is imperative that the reader follow
Jennifer Garber
Roselyn
Nov 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rounded review form 3.5 stars to 4 stars.

Elida Liederbach
Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was happy to read an advanced copy of "The Silent Treatment" by Abbie Greaves. This is a love story of the marriage of Frank & Maggie from courtship to parents, as well as normal life choices they make in everyday life. One of those choices causes Frank to stop speaking to Maggie for over six months and neither of them breaking the silence. One day, Frank finds Maggie slumped over after taking to many sleeping pills. As she lays in a coma, Frank examines their life together and what has br ...more
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book, I couldn’t turn the pages quickly enough as I was so enthralled by Frank and Maggie’s stories and so eager to discover what had turned Frank mute six months ago. This was beautifully told and I loved Frank who was so utterly in love with Maggie and though she was a more difficult character in her own eyes I really liked Maggie too, she was very human. This unfolds so well and the issues they faced thoughtfully told although I really don’t want to give the plot away ...more
Carmen JV
A relevant and poignant love story that leaves the reader hoping to know more and more as the chapters go by.

Frank and Maggie's love story is full of vibrant feelings that did help me understand how important it is to communicate with the ones you love - it doesn't matter if have a partner or not - it is about communicating with the ones that are around us - friends, family, work colleagues... etc cause we don't really know what silence can lead to.

A love story that will make you cry and laugh
Sally Boocock
A bittersweet story of a couple who have been living in silence for 6months. Told from the perspective firstly of the husband and then the wife it gradually explains what happened to cause the husband to stop talking. I liked the way the husbands story was told in a conversation with his wife at the hospital and the wife's told from a journal she wrote. The reason why doesn't become clear until the end. Both had secrets . A sad but uplifting novel .
Laun
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
The premise of the book and the way the story is told makes it an easy read. The reader has the opportunity to get inside the thoughts and feelings of the main protagonists. I enjoyed how my understanding of these characters unfolded and I think the balanced way they are represented is the highlight of the novel
Sarah Wilson
Thank you to Net-galley and Random House UK for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This story wasn’t what I expected it to be, and although I enjoyed Frank and Maggies story, I was confused about which genre I was reading.

I enjoyed the switch in the middle (no spoilers) as it made the story make a little bit more sense, however didn’t find myself getting too invested in the outcome.
Cheryl
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read an ARC of this book. It is a bittersweet story of love and missed opportunities to say things to one another. It made me smile and also reduced me to tears, it will stay with me for a long time.
Sep 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an ARC; the book is due out in April of 2020. Well written, touching, believable and sad. The story unfolds slowly, revealing the events that brought Maggie to the drastic measures taken in the opening chapter.
Em
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to receive an advanced copy, and fell in love with the romance between Frank and Maggie. A thoroughly enjoyable read that depicts life in all its bittersweet fragments, I would recommend this book to anyone.
M.
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-reads
It was a good read.
Ashleigh Armstrong
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You think you know it all, or know a lot. Well, you don’t. The Silent treatment will teach you more through the essence of silence than through words. A stunning narrative.
Sophie
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2019, prepubs
absolutely stunning
MCZ Reads
Sep 13, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway-winners
I won a copy of The Silent Treatment in a Goodreads giveaway. I will update with a review once I receive my copy. I'm excited to read this book!
Lynn Mullan
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read
VL
Sep 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing read.
Robin
Compelling and emotional. I couldn't put it down.

More review to come soon.

To be published in April 2020. Thanks to the publisher for the advance digital reading copy.
Vix Standen
A tough read about parenting which deals with several difficult issues. I feel this would have made a better short story than a long form novel though.
Stephanie Walls
Sep 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful bitter/sweet story of enduring love and travails within a family. Poignant and uplifting. I thoroughly recommend this debut novel by Abbie Greaves.
Nancy Shepherd
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adult readers
Recommended to Nancy by: Wm. Morrow, publishers
Shelves: family
I wrote a long review, but it was lost somehow in the saving process! I won't repeat that. Good book, worth every minute I spent reading it.
I received a paperback ARC from the publisher through goodreads.

• Darling Rose Gold
  • No Bad Deed: A Novel
  • The Animals at Lockwood Manor
  • Long Bright River
  • Mooncakes
Abbie Greaves studied at Cambridge University before working in a literary agency for a number of years.

She was inspired to write her first novel, THE SILENT TREATMENT, after reading a newspaper article about a boy in Japan who had never seen his parents speak to one another before. It will be published in April 2020.

Abbie lives in Edinburgh with her boyfriend and is hard at work on h